Leaving in a week - Nassau questions

There were other places I was interested in visiting but I figured with such a short time frame we did not want to walk too far away. I looked up her tripadvisor page and she has amazing reviews! I would like to leave the ship at 8 AM to start exploring and this would let us see much more and save my Dad from a lot of walking. I'm going to e-mail her/them. We are only a week away from being there now so I wonder if they would be booked up. Thank you!

Reach out, never know. We did our tour with Marvin and he's awesome. Nice vehicle, they dress and act professionally, etc. It's a VERY good way to get out and see everything and I think worth every penny. And if you are doing a private tour, you can skip stuff that you don't want to waste time on. Maybe you don't want to get out and explore Atlantis, for example... just let him know. You'll see and learn so much about the island, drive through some of the "real" areas and get a good feel for it. It's the way to go, for sure.

Generally Nassau is a pretty safe place with ships in port, but there is crime in every place.

Tell that to the 23 people on the Segway tour that got robbed a gunpoint a number of years ago.

Yes, it was a ship's excursion.

Tell that to the 23 people on the Segway tour that got robbed a gunpoint a number of years ago.

Yes, it was a ship's excursion.

Who cares? Crime happens everywhere. Don't be a sensationalist.

I don't think he's being sensationalist. Crime does happen everywhere; how the police handle it is another story.

Pointing out a robbery that happened years ago and suggesting somewhere isn't safe? Come on...

Heck, the US Government Bahamas travel warning includes cruise ships. Uh oh, what should you do?

"Criminal activity has led to incidents that could place innocent bystanders at risk. The U.S. Embassy has received reports of assaults, including sexual assaults... on cruise ships."

Pointing out a robbery that happened years ago and suggesting somewhere isn't safe? Come on...

Heck, the US Government Bahamas travel warning includes cruise ships. Uh oh, what should you do?

"Criminal activity has led to incidents that could place innocent bystanders at risk. The U.S. Embassy has received reports of assaults, including sexual assaults... on cruise ships."

Everyone feels safe until something happens to them. I suggest people read the government advisories and proceed accordingly. Better than listening to a few posters saying, "I felt perfectly safe".

The first link is particularly helpful in terms of what to be aware of. For example, I would avoid ATMs while in Nassau.

ymmv

"After the ordeal, all eighteen victims were taken to the police department to file reports. They were shown 500 mug shots, 25 to a page, each the size of a postage stamp. When Bob asked the victim how he’d rate the police-reporting experience on a scale of one to ten, the answer was “Zero to one. It was a joke.”

http://bobarno.com/thiefhunters/nassau-street-crime/

Everyone feels safe until something happens to them. I suggest people read the government advisories and proceed accordingly. Better than listening to a few posters saying, "I felt perfectly safe".

The first link is particularly helpful in terms of what to be aware of. For example, I would avoid ATMs while in Nassau.

ymmv

The comment about the robbery was in response to another poster saying that Nassau is generally safe when ships are in port, but to be aware that crime happens everywhere.

There is not a serious threat at the typical tourist areas in Nassau. No more than anywhere else you would visit. Lots of crime in South Florida, should people not visit here either?

Should we post an article about a crime that happened on a cruise ship and say "Tell that to the lady that was beaten and almost thrown overboard by a crew member" - then tell everyone cruising isn't safe? Wouldn't that be sensationalism?

Edited by BNBR

The comment about the robbery was in response to another poster saying that Nassau is generally safe when ships are in port, but to be aware that crime happens everywhere.

There is not a serious threat at the typical tourist areas in Nassau. No more than anywhere else you would visit. Lots of crime in South Florida, should people not visit here either?

Should we post an article about a crime that happened on a cruise ship and say "Tell that to the lady that was beaten and almost thrown overboard by a crew member" - then tell everyone cruising isn't safe? Wouldn't that be sensationalism?

I disagree that it's sensational. Someone posted about an event in response to a safety question and it is up to each person to research further. Not sure why you feel the need to equate tourist safety in Nassau with safety in Florida. (or with safety on a cruise ship, for that matter)

We were there in September and had a local cab take us around. We enjoyed it and she took us to Mackenzies for lunch. Fabulous food and not expensive at all. Its right under the bridge going to Atlantis.

I don't consider it unsafe at all. My friends and I went on a bus tour that took us to those spots but it was unbelievably because there were so many buses at the same spots. The market area right at port is hell. The vendors are so aggressive and some even followed us down the way a bit trying to convince us to buy. I know they are just trying to make a living but the whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Just a counterpoint to those saying no problems in the day or no problems where other tourists are.

Yes, I work in the DC area. :)

I enjoyed the fort too! If you liked the fort in Nassau, you will absolutely love the one in San Juan! We loved it!

THe fort was ok, THe view was awesome. I totally agree that the San Juan Fort is so much more! Ft Moro if you want to Google it.

As a clarification for others who might be reading this thread and who are not familiar with Old San Juan, there are two forts: El Castillo del Morro, and Castillo San Cristóbal. My personal favorite is El Morro because of its stunning location on the water, but both are impressive and worth a visit. Unless you have mobility issues, you can readily walk from the ship to either fort and then from one to the other.

https://www.nps.gov/saju/index.htm

Wife and I went there on Empress this past December. The two of us, another couple from the ship, and a mother/daughter couple from the Carnival ship took one of the private bus tours. Our driver Wellington was friendly, humorous, and accommodating. He took us to all the places we wanted to check out, ( Paradise Island, to get fresh conch salad, and to the castle and queens staircase) as well as showing us the other traditional sightseeing spots. We did stop at the rumcake factory and also stopped at a neighborhood bar to get a few beers to take with. Never felt unsafe during the tour and had a great time. Afterwards, we got some fritters and lobster bites at Sharkeez and a few souvenirs before returning to the ship. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Has anyone "walked" to Atlantis/Paradise Island?

I took a tour last visit and it was okay...but my DH wants to walk over there [i prefer a ferry or shuttle myself].

Once there how do you get a ticket to tour the grounds [not the water park]?

HLR

It’s ok, a bit dirty and a lot of persistent pushy locals trying to sale stuff but over all pretty nice, you should try Hard Rock Cafe and senior frogs! Straw market is safe nice people there

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has anyone "walked" to Atlantis/Paradise Island?

I took a tour last visit and it was okay...but my DH wants to walk over there [i prefer a ferry or shuttle myself].

Once there how do you get a ticket to tour the grounds [not the water park]?

HLR

I don’t think there is a pass for that.