Leaving in a week - Nassau questions

I'm a first time cruiser. We'll be stopping at Nassau from 7-2 pm.

I would like to visit the Rum Cake Factory on Bay Street and the Queen's Staircase. According to google maps both are about a 10-15 minute walk from the cruise terminal. I keep reading so many negative reviews about Nassau but I'm unclear if it's general dislike or truly not safe. Will we be able to walk to both those locations and back, or should we take a taxi?

After those two stops we plan on browsing the shops on Bay, the Straw Market and maybe spend an hour at Junkanoo Beach.

I'd like to know of a good place to have a bit of lunch. We're interested in trying conch fritters. Thanks!!

I would not consider any of the places you mention unsafe during the daytime when cruise ships are in port.

As far as conch fritters, walk a short distance more past Junkanoo Beach to the Fish Fry area, and you will see many restaurants with conch fritters.

I'm a first time cruiser. We'll be stopping at Nassau from 7-2 pm.

I would like to visit the Rum Cake Factory on Bay Street and the Queen's Staircase. According to google maps both are about a 10-15 minute walk from the cruise terminal. I keep reading so many negative reviews about Nassau but I'm unclear if it's general dislike or truly not safe. Will we be able to walk to both those locations and back, or should we take a taxi?

After those two stops we plan on browsing the shops on Bay, the Straw Market and maybe spend an hour at Junkanoo Beach.

I'd like to know of a good place to have a bit of lunch. We're interested in trying conch fritters. Thanks!!

We were in Nassau on 3/29. Left the ship at 11 am and walked 30 minutes to Fish Fry. Felt completely safe. Took a cab back ($6 each).

When almost at the Fish Fry a local started walking with us, saying he would take us to the best food. I figured it was his buddy's restaurant. We went our own way.

Ended up at Twin Brothers. Had conch fritters and fried fish (fresh grouper). Both were delicious.

After we exited the cab, we looked in a few souvenir shops. Then back to the ship.

Generally Nassau is a pretty safe place with ships in port, but there is crime in every place. Just use common sense and be aware of surroundings. Don’t keep your head buried in your phone.

There is a website that has a walking tour map, DW and I used that a few years back and had a good time. Never felt unsafe. We covered about 5 total miles.

We did this walking tour:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&msa=0&msid=212915410434543012134.0004943ae4a62b8cf9961&ll=25.081557,-77.339544&spn=0.037664,0.052314&z=15

I know there are a lot of "dislikes" going around but I've always enjoyed Nassau. It's very touristy so you need put up with that and all the sales pitches but I have never felt uncomfortable or threatened.

As far as a conch, go the the Bahamian Kitchen http://bahamiancookin.com/ and order Conch Fritters and Cracked Conch. You will not be disappointed. Chase it down with a Kalik or Sands.

Nassau is awesome. We not only visit on cruises, but fly over quite a bit, too. Ignore the negative people. Seems like you have a pretty solid first timer plan. Like any other port, the vendors can be a bit pushy sometimes and there is always people at the touristy spots wanting to show you around and expecting tips - but you can politely tell them no thanks and they'll leave you alone.

You can also consider a private tour. It's not that expensive and you get a great feel for the island. I personally recommend Cheryl Bahamas Taxi and Tours. They are first class. They'll take you to all the main spots that you are asking about, plus a lot more. It might be worth the extra $150 to have a private guide and an air conditioned van to give you a more complete tour of the island. Since it's your tour, just request other things to see, too. You would be amazed at what you can see in just 4 - 5 hours and they can always end the tour at the Fish Fry, too. Then you just walk back and check out Junkanoo on your way back to the ship.

You will be fine...it's only the "out-lying" areas where there are no tourist spots that there could be trouble. Stick to the tourists spots and you're good to go. Nassau isn't my favorite place, but the vacation areas are fine.

As far as a conch, go the the Bahamian Kitchen http://bahamiancookin.com/ and order Conch Fritters and Cracked Conch. You will not be disappointed. Chase it down with a Kalik or Sands.

You beat me to it!

OP: Bahamian Cookin' is a wonderful place, where locals eat, that's right downtown -- an easy walk from the pier (no need to go as far as the Fish Fry). And yes, the conch fritters are fantastic. Get some mac 'n cheese and peas and rice (really rice and beans), and homemade lemonade (which they call limeade). Yum! Our go-to lunch spot when we're in Nassau.

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

the vendors can be a bit pushy sometimes and there is always people at the touristy spots wanting to show you around and expecting tips - but you can politely tell them no thanks and they'll leave you alone.

Just returned from a cruise including a stop at Nassau and this doesn't match my experience. I found the people offering taxis, vans, rides, tours, etc. extremely pushy, even after saying we weren't interested. I would even describe some of them as aggressive. You could not get out to the streets of Nassau without being accosted by at least a dozen drivers, in some cases almost blocked, and it even continued past the gates out onto the street/sidewalk.

It was much worse than I recall from my previous visit to Nassau two years ago.

Just returned from a cruise including a stop at Nassau and this doesn't match my experience. I found the people offering taxis, vans, rides, tours, etc. extremely pushy, even after saying we weren't interested. I would even describe some of them as aggressive. You could not get out to the streets of Nassau without being accosted by at least a dozen drivers, in some cases almost blocked, and it even continued past the gates out onto the street/sidewalk.

It was much worse than I recall from my previous visit to Nassau two years ago.

One persons "a bit pushy" is "extreme" to another. We walked through just over a month ago and they did nothing more than ask and I would make it clear I wasn't interested and they move on. This is similar to many ports and tourist spots. It's just not a big deal.

One persons "a bit pushy" is "extreme" to another. We walked through just over a month ago and they did nothing more than ask and I would make it clear I wasn't interested and they move on. This is similar to many ports and tourist spots. It's just not a big deal.

Same experience for me just about a month ago.

The last time we were in Nassau, in December, we walked to Graycliff, which is off the beaten path, and had no problem at all. People we passed said good morning, just as anyplace else. Be aware of your surroundings , as you would anywhere, and you won't have a problem. Never had a problem with cabs after saying no thanks.

Generally Nassau is a pretty safe place with ships in port, but there is crime in every place. Just use common sense and be aware of surroundings. Don’t keep your head buried in your phone.

We left our watches, phones and wallets on the ship. Only thing we carried was our ship's ID, photo ID and about $75 in cash.

Thanks everyone!! I feel a lot better after reading all these posts. Wish I could give you all LIKES! :)

I originally thought Fish Fry was the name of a restaurant. Thanks for all the recommendations. Depending where we end up being when we're hungry we'll be sure to try either Twin Brothers or the Bahamiam Kitchen. Turtles -> that photo was great! I showed it to my son and he has agreed to try conch fritters as well. I have not had baked mac'n'cheese. That looks good too.

I visited Nassau by myself (30-something female). I walked to the Queen’s Staircase, Graycliff Chocaltiers, and John Watling’s Distillery. I felt safe the entire time. Like all cities be aware of your surroundings and most of the time you will be fine.

Thanks so much. (I like your signature)

That's awesome! How long of a walk was that? I'd be up for that but my 14 year old would probably complain and I'm not sure my Dad could do that. I'm keeping that link in case my husband & I ever go back.

I have a couple of other questions about Nassau.

Most of the shops do not open until 9:30 / 10 AM. Would it still be fine to start walking to the Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle about 8 AM? Somewhere along the way I have noted that two other cruise ships dock after us at 8 AM and 10 AM. Allure is the first to arrive.

The original Tortuga rum cake factory is on fredrick street just seaside of Bay street. There is another new store on bay street.

Thanks! I thought the Bahamas Rum Cake factory on Bay Street (just before Christie Street) was the only one. After reading your post I did more googling and found information on the Tortuga rum cake factory on Frederick Street. That could save a lot of time being in the same shopping area I'd like to explore instead of heading out in the other direction.

Has anyone been to either / both rum cake factories? I've heard of Tortuga before, though I have not had one. It looks like these are two different companies. What do people think of them? Will the cakes stay moist & fresh for 8-10 days later when I want to give them to people?

... That's awesome! How long of a walk was that? I'd be up for that but my 14 year old would probably complain and I'm not sure my Dad could do that. I'm keeping that link in case my husband & I ever go back.

If you didn't stop at any of the points of interest, you could do the walk in an hour or so.

Nassau is awesome. We not only visit on cruises, but fly over quite a bit, too. Ignore the negative people. Seems like you have a pretty solid first timer plan. Like any other port, the vendors can be a bit pushy sometimes and there is always people at the touristy spots wanting to show you around and expecting tips - but you can politely tell them no thanks and they'll leave you alone.

You can also consider a private tour. It's not that expensive and you get a great feel for the island. I personally recommend Cheryl Bahamas Taxi and Tours. They are first class. They'll take you to all the main spots that you are asking about, plus a lot more. It might be worth the extra $150 to have a private guide and an air conditioned van to give you a more complete tour of the island. Since it's your tour, just request other things to see, too. You would be amazed at what you can see in just 4 - 5 hours and they can always end the tour at the Fish Fry, too. Then you just walk back and check out Junkanoo on your way back to the ship.

There were other places I was interested in visiting but I figured with such a short time frame we did not want to walk too far away. I looked up her tripadvisor page and she has amazing reviews! I would like to leave the ship at 8 AM to start exploring and this would let us see much more and save my Dad from a lot of walking. I'm going to e-mail her/them. We are only a week away from being there now so I wonder if they would be booked up. Thank you!

If you didn't stop at any of the points of interest, you could do the walk in an hour or so.

Ohh, that is much more doable. From the map I thought it was more like 2-3 hours of walking without stopping anymore. Thanks!