Crackers/Chips/Candy/Cheese....?

sailexuma

Taking the tray from under the ice bucket. Yes it would work, but I consider that tacky.

Sandra

We have never used the tray under the ice bucket, but have certainly seen many people use it.

Some have used it for taking cups of coffee back to their cabins especially in the morning -- while wearing their robes.

Chocolate-dipped strawberries and pastries are available at no charge in the Explorations Cafe even if you do not purchase coffee.

Tortilla chips are available at the Taco Bar during the afternoons on most HAL ships. They are especially good when dipped in warm cheese and topped with jalapenos.

On the Veendam last December, one passenger picked up 10 dipped strawberries for every movie.

On the ships that have had the Explorations Café merged into the bar area in the Crow's Nest ......... don't expect many treats ... there is not much room in the new set up. (Don't get me started on this one!)

"Formal Nuts", a name for this treat I first heard from a long time HAL cruiser, the late Mary Hanley, usually is available during Gala Nights. Formal Nuts are a mixed nut assortment.

And, don't forget the Popcorn available in the Wajang Theater or wherever a movie is being shown.

Speaking only for myself, I have enough to pack - I'm not packing a tray ;).

I've always managed to get any munchies we needed without packing something. It's not that big of deal IMO ;)

Ditto, I'm not packing a tray. And KK I love the idea of taking the ice bucket tray and also putting several bags of chips in a bowl and several of those little cheese plates together!! Just returned from a Panama Canal cruise and took stuff form the Lido to my room but never thought about consolidating it, duhhhhh, live and learn. Thanks folks, I'll put this into practice end of May and first of September on my next 2 HAL cruises. :):)

Pack a dollar store shoebox, lightweight, has a lid and you can pack a bunch of items in it and throw in the suitcase. Then use it to go to the Lido for those snacks, along with your ziplocs that you remembered to pack, too.

Pack a dollar store shoebox, lightweight, has a lid and you can pack a bunch of items in it and throw in the suitcase. Then use it to go to the Lido for those snacks, along with your ziplocs that you remembered to pack, too.

Okay, don't ask me why, but a tray at the Lido seems practical ..... taking a plastic shoebox to fill up, that seems tacky to me! JMO

On the ships that have had the Explorations Café merged into the bar area in the Crow's Nest ......... don't expect many treats ... there is not much room in the new set up. (Don't get me started on this one!)

Just ate a large chocolate chip cookie from the new Explorations Cafe on the Westerdam. No sandwiches in the display case but a full tray of chocolate-covered strawberries were calling out to me. The menu has been severely reduced for coffees and teas.

Okay, don't ask me why, but a tray at the Lido seems practical ..... taking a plastic shoebox to fill up, that seems tacky to me! JMO

I must admit, I have to agree with the tacky part! ;)

Off Topic, but once when docked at Margarita Island when looking off our balcony, saw an old mother dog with a bunch of pups in tow at the pier. I thought they'd enjoy some ham and bacon from the Lido so I brought some back on a plate and put it in a ziploc bag and brought it ashore. I couldn't find the old girl and her family, but I did have several other dogs following me!

"Formal Nuts", a name for this treat I first heard from a long time HAL cruiser, the late Mary Hanley, usually is available during Gala Nights. Formal Nuts are a mixed nut assortment.

And, don't forget the Popcorn available in the Wajang Theater or wherever a movie is being shown.

The nuts seved on 'formal nights' are called the "good nuts' Here. There is a looo ng history of that. :)

If Ruth C is around, maybe she will tell the story, Along with Rev, Neil. :) and others.

Several methods of carrying food back to your room have been mentioned. I can guarantee you that none of those will ever be pictured in a HAL advertisement. I believe MDR food should be eaten in the MDR, Lido food should be eaten in the Lido, Pinnacle food should be eaten in the Pinnacle Grill, etc. If you want food in room, order room service.

Several methods of carrying food back to your room have been mentioned. I can guarantee you that none of those will ever be pictured in a HAL advertisement. I believe MDR food should be eaten in the MDR, Lido food should be eaten in the Lido, Pinnacle food should be eaten in the Pinnacle Grill, etc. If you want food in room, order room service.

I think you missed the point. The type of Snacks Mentioned by the OP are not readily available from room service.

I think it would be quite a hassle to try to get them room service. Also, if you get them yourself from the lead out, there is no need to tip room service. I know, I know, tipping for room service is not mandatory… It’s just decent.

Bottom line: don’t depend on room service for these items.

PS. To bring these things back to your room would be wrong if the ship did not want you eating in your room. Obviously, that is not the case. They do not care if you eat your food in the Lido or the main dining room or anywhere else

I think you missed the point. The type of Snacks Mentioned by the OP are not readily available from room service.

I think it would be quite a hassle to try to get them room service. Also, if you get them yourself from the lead out, there is no need to tip room service. I know, I know, tipping for room service is not mandatory… It’s just decent.

Bottom line: don’t depend on room service for these items.

PS. To bring these things back to your room would be wrong if the ship did not want you eating in your room. Obviously, that is not the case. They do not care if you eat your food in the Lido or the main dining room or anywhere else

My thinking when I bring things back like cheese trays from the lido etc. is why bother room service to scramble around finding me what I want when I am perfectly capable of choosing it and bringing it to the room myself (besides, I need the exercise if I am going to scarf down the cheese). The staff are busy enough without me asking for some cheese. It's not about tipping for us, it's about being self sufficient and not relying on the already too busy staff.

My thinking when I bring things back like cheese trays from the lido etc. is why bother room service to scramble around finding me what I want when I am perfectly capable of choosing it and bringing it to the room myself (besides, I need the exercise if I am going to scarf down the cheese). The staff are busy enough without me asking for some cheese. It's not about tipping for us, it's about being self sufficient and not relying on the already too busy staff.

Thankfully, we can all make our own choices. :)

I am self-sufficient, every day of my life, I do not feel guilty when on a cruise, to ask for 'help'.

Like many others, In my "regular life", if I do not do it for myself, I do not have it, it doesn't get done.

Edited by sail7seas

You can buy various packaged chips, snacks and candy in the ship's store - the small one that sells duty free liquor.

BTW: Taking any food off the ship that is not commercially packaged is prohibited. (Even an alleged compassionate attempt to feed a local dog and her litter) Please respect the reason why this is the case and what tragedies the introduction of non-native pests (plant, animal or microrganisms) has created in many countries.

Thankfully, we can all make our own choices. :)

I am self-sufficient, every day of my life, I do not feel guilty when on a cruise, to ask for 'help'.

Like many others, In my "regular life", if I do not do it for myself, I do not have it, it doesn't get done.

I think she meant that she doesn’t NEED the help to bring her a plate of cheese when she can easily walk to the Lido instead of bothering the overburdened staff. We all realize the difference between asking for needed help and getting off our duff when we are willing and able. I, too, would rather get a little exercise when seeking out extra calories but wouldn’t hesitate to ask for assistance when needed. Totally different matter.

Also, this is a case of it being easier to grab what you want instead of trying to explain to Room Service what you want that isn’t listed on the menu.

I think she meant that she doesn’t NEED the help to bring her a plate of cheese when she can easily walk to the Lido instead of bothering the overburdened staff. We all realize the difference between asking for needed help and getting off our duff when we are willing and able. I, too, would rather get a little exercise when seeking out extra calories but wouldn’t hesitate to ask for assistance when needed. Totally different matter.

Also, this is a case of it being easier to grab what you want instead of trying to explain to Room Service what you want that isn’t listed on the menu.

I Know what she said.

I am saying, I like the help when on vacation from my every day taking care of every little thing for myself. I want the help from time to time and I don't think I wish to apologize for a little luxury on my vacation. No need to translate what another person's post means. . This is an English language forum and the messages were all written in English. :) IF I wish to call room service, I will as will any and everyone else if they wish. If I want a cracker at home, I go get it. If I want a slice of cheese, I either do with out or see to the task myself . ALWays....

.. as do many other persons here and in the world in general.

There is no one left to get me a glass of water if I am sick in bed. If I want service on a cruise, so be it. No one's preference is any more important or better than anyone else's.

Edited by sail7seas

I Know what she said.

I am saying, I like the help when on vacation from my every day taking care of every little thing for myself. I want the help from time to time and I don't think I wish to apologize for a little luxury on my vacation. No need to translate what another person's post means. . This is an English language forum and the messages were all written in English. :) IF I wish to call room service, I will as will any and everyone else if they wish. If I want a cracker at home, I go get it. If I want a slice of cheese, I either do with out or see to the task myself . ALWays....

.. as do many other persons here and in the world in general.

There is no one left to get me a glass of water if I am sick in bed. If I want service on a cruise, so be it. No one's preference is any more important or better than anyone else's.

Sail, I am sorry that I seem to have ruffled your feathers with my post. I don’t think a dressing down was necessary.

No one, I repeat, no one begrudges you a little help/luxury in your vacation. Ask away ..... you paid for it.

In the meantime, I’ll serve myself for as long as I’m able. But won’t try to make anyone feel guilty if they want help/luxury!!!

Now maybe this thread can go back to what snacks the OP can find on the ship ... no matter how she chooses to obtain them.

The nuts seved on 'formal nights' are called the "good nuts' Here. There is a looo ng history of that. :)

If Ruth C is around, maybe she will tell the story, Along with Rev, Neil. :) and others.

Yes, we even had a “Good Nuts Cruise” back in January ‘09. The Roll Call filled the Noordam’s Crows Nest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk