Golden Gate viewing

wisc9757

Princess Cruises offer several Hawaiian cruises leaving from San Francisco. We are booked on one of these cruises January 2019. High on my bucket list is to photographing the ship sailing under the iconic Golden Gate Bridge. However, the muster drill, held the first night of sailing, could screw this up. Can anyone tell me when is muster drill held and does it interfere with view the bridge?

Thanks much! :)

wisc9757

The muster drill on many Princess ships is held prior to sailing. It was that way when we sailed on the Crown Princess last March (2017). We are going to Alaska in June on the Grand and sailing under the Golden Gate is on my bucket list. You can bet it is on others as well. I can tell you it is a big event on this ship. No one is going to miss it unless you want too.

You will have no problems ...

Take something warm to wear if up on deck, though. That fog rolls in and it can be (not always but usually) is quite chilly as you head out under the bridge. It really is a beautiful sight to see. We've done it a couple dozen times and it NEVER gets old.

Enjoy!

Muster drill is before sail away. Wear something warm- it is super cold and windy! If it is foggy, still worth watching- sometimes the fog makes for really cool pictures. If you have some time in San Francisco a free activity that will get you right under the bridge is a trip to Fort Point. If you get up early you can also take some great pictures on sail in (it's dark but the bridge is well lit as is the city behind it)

Here's another tip. When you return to SF at the end of the cruise, be up on deck early to capture some amazing photo's of the city all lit up in the dark.(y)

Although I grew up on the San Francisco Peninsula and still live in the bay area that is something I think would be worthwhile seeing. Does the Patters give you any idea when that will happen?

Although I grew up on the San Francisco Peninsula and still live in the bay area that is something I think would be worthwhile seeing. Does the Patters give you any idea when that will happen?

I believe the time is listed when you arrive in SF. I remember it being around 5:30 to 6:30 and sailing in is a slow process so you'll have plenty of time. You do want to get up there before dawn. The air has been very clear that time of morning when we've done this. The buildings are lit up, the bridges are lit up and it's crystal clear through the morning darkness.

Perfect photo ops.(y)

Princess Cruises offer several Hawaiian cruises leaving from San Francisco. We are booked on one of these cruises January 2019. High on my bucket list is to photographing the ship sailing under the iconic Golden Gate Bridge. However, the muster drill, held the first night of sailing, could screw this up. Can anyone tell me when is muster drill held and does it interfere with view the bridge?

Thanks much! :)

wisc9757

You will enjoy the views on both port and starboard sides of the ship.

Enjoy.

I was born and grew up in San Francisco and cannot count the number of times I have crossed the bridge but I still find sailing away under it a wonderful experience. Get up to one of the upper decks to fully experience it.

Muster drill is before sail away. Wear something warm- it is super cold and windy! If it is foggy, still worth watching- sometimes the fog makes for really cool pictures. If you have some time in San Francisco a free activity that will get you right under the bridge is a trip to Fort Point. If you get up early you can also take some great pictures on sail in (it's dark but the bridge is well lit as is the city behind it)

We will have a corner AFT room and cannot wait to pull in. We made sure to wake up early when coming back into Los Angeles, and even though it was early and foggy, it was still a great site. I can only imagine seeing the bridge on the way in (and out of course) would be amazing. :)