MITSUGIRLY has a JEWEL of a time on my 1st RC cruise in years!

Sorry Kim, gonna go off topic for a minute.

I want to thank the people who were talking about the Cozumel H2O.

I never knew that you could try scuba without taking classes and becoming certified. All of us wanted to try scuba diving so we booked this for our day in Cozumel! This will tell us whether we spend the money to get certified.

We are used to snorkeling, how much different is the breathing? And I am somewhat worried about the pressure and ears thing.

Thanks again for your detailed review! Love all of the history that you pass along!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So after confirming that the animals were still ok, Kolin informed me that although Loki was still alive and well...but, he was refusing to come in and there was tornado sirens going off.

Now remember that 2 days ago it was snowing. Today it was in the high 70's and there was a report of a tornado...about a mile away from my house that touched down.

Loki would not come in. Sakari was so worried that night and this would be her drawing of the night.

Her details included flying furniture, the roof is off the house, and poor Loki is trying to take cover under flying objects.

P4112848%20copy-L.jpg

I packed our beach bags for tomorrow and we hit the bed actually pretty early tonight: 11:30pm

Up tomorrow would be a day in Martinique. A new place for us. :D

Although Sakari wanted to go to the pool, we decided we w

Notice the lifeguard here at the pool? They were at EVERY pool, even the adult pool. I thought it was interesting since there have been so many drownings, especially with kids, over the years and the talk has always been that they would never have lifeguards on any of the cruise ships (except Disney) because that would then increase the chance of being sued if anything ever happened, not to mention parents watching their kids even less because they feel the need to let the lifeguards do it.

It seems as though the life guards showed up after that poor young boy drowned on Anthem. I googled it and that is the timing. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article145571359.html

I agree that it is a good practice. Given how crowded cruise pools get plus the mixture of adults and children, it’s too easy for someone to slip under unnoticed.

I’m enjoying your review (as usual). Sakari is such a darling!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Mitsu,

That was me who requested the stateroom photos, thank you for posting :) Lovely room btw!

I didn't ask but wanted to thank you as well. My husband and I will be in an inside down from the hall from yours in a few weeks. I especially appreciated the closet pic so I know my clothes will fit.

Excited!

I sent this video to my daughter after getting back on the ship and her and her fiancé and all their bike riding friends just got super excited and now want to find out about taking their bikes with them on vacation.

I can only imagine how fun that would be to just ride all over the island at each port.

Here's some date and ship info for the motorcycle cruises on Celebrity:

ETA Motorcycle Cruise to Bermuda (5/13-20/2018) @ Celebrity Summit

ETA Motorcycle Cruise to Bermuda (5/20-27/2018) @ SUMMIT

Motorcycle Cruise (6/09-16) 2018 @ EQUINOX

Motorcycle Cruise (1/04-18) 2019 @ Celebrity Reflection (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (1/18-28) 2019 @ REFLECTION

Motorcycle Cruise (2/01-10) 2019 @ Silhouette

Motorcycle Cruise (2/08-18) 2019 @ REFLECTION

Motorcycle Cruise (3/03-15) 2019 @ Silhouette

Motorcycle Cruise (3/10-17) 2019 @ EDGE

Motorcycle Cruise (3/24-4/5) 2019 @ Silhouette

Motorcycle Cruise (4/12-22) 2019 @ REFLECTION

ETA Motorcycle Cruise to Bermuda (5/5-12/2019) @ Summit

ETA Motorcycle Cruise to Bermuda (5/12-19/2019) @ SUMMIT

Motorcycle Cruise (11/14-22) 2019 @ Celebrity Silhouette (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (12/01-19) 2019 @ Celebrity EDGE (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (1/10-20) 2020 @ Celebrity Reflection (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (1/24-2/02) 2020 @ Celebrity Reflection (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (2/02-14) 2020 @ Celebrity Silhouette (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (2/14-23) 2020 @ Celebrity Silhouette (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (2/23-3/06) 2020 @ Celebrity Silhouette (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (3/08-15) 2020 @ Celebrity EDGE (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (3/15-27) 2020 @ Celebrity Silhouette (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (4/11-21) 2020 @ Celebrity Equinox (FLL)

But warn her that besides the regular cruise price when you make your cruise deposit you have to pay an additional $325 per bike, and then you have to pay an additional $595 per bike while on the cruise to cover your gas, insurance, etc. so it can get pretty pricey. ;)

And speaking of the lifeguards, we were at the bar and watched one on the Oasis for at least a half hour standing and watching the water even while no one was in the pool - apparently they are not allowed to sit down, even if no one is there (or this guy just liked to stand at attention! LOL)

One of the things I really liked about RC is this paper. It makes it so nice to just be able to check off what your desires are and leave it for the room steward. All cruise lines should adopted this policy. It eliminates confusion, missing your room steward and not getting the things you want until another day and so on. It's sweet and to the point!

P4112819%20copy-L.jpg

I see it says laundry bags are available on day 3!!!! I usually sail NCL and always have a laundry bag the day I board. I take all my clothes and send them to be pressed for the cruise. Is this an option on the Jewel? I hate ironing anything and folded clothes look terrible. Please tell me I can get my clothes pressed the day I board. Enjoying your tread!!!

I see it says laundry bags are available on day 3!!!! I usually sail NCL and always have a laundry bag the day I board. I take all my clothes and send them to be pressed for the cruise. Is this an option on the Jewel? I hate ironing anything and folded clothes look terrible. Please tell me I can get my clothes pressed the day I board. Enjoying your tread!!!

Yes, you can send your clothes out to the laundry for pressing any day you like.

Excellent review Kim. I like the suggestion that you speak to young women and I totally get your aversion to public speaking. That said, maybe you can convey your encouragement via written word. Clearly you are well organized and that is a huge asset for writing.

And happy belated birthday to the mermaid with the most prescious smile ever! Enjoy it while it lasts. My daughter is almost done with her Masters and narrowing her choices for the PhD program she will participate in. As you know, it goes by in the blink of an eye.

His beautiful eyes!

I know right?

I had a dog named named loki. That was thors brother. Loki was the god of mischief and strife

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Fits him well!

Sorry Kim, gonna go off topic for a minute.

I want to thank the people who were talking about the Cozumel H2O.

I never knew that you could try scuba without taking classes and becoming certified. All of us wanted to try scuba diving so we booked this for our day in Cozumel! This will tell us whether we spend the money to get certified.

We are used to snorkeling, how much different is the breathing? And I am somewhat worried about the pressure and ears thing.

Thanks again for your detailed review! Love all of the history that you pass along!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh no problem. We have been doing the Discover Scuba Diving for awhile now. Try it out.

I personally think it's TOTALLY different...but that's just me.

OMG!!! YOU JUMP SHIP (NCL)!!!

I WAS CHECKING OUT RC BOARDS ON ANYTHING REGARDING FREEDOM OF THE SEA...

PLANNING TO JUMP NCL NEXT YEAR AND TRY RCL..... CAN'T WAIT TO READ YOUR REVIEW !!!

Haha. I jumped ship, starting back in 2013, when I started sailing with Carnival too. clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

But yes, another new jump for me.

It seems as though the life guards showed up after that poor young boy drowned on Anthem. I googled it and that is the timing. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article145571359.html

I agree that it is a good practice. Given how crowded cruise pools get plus the mixture of adults and children, it’s too easy for someone to slip under unnoticed.

I’m enjoying your review (as usual). Sakari is such a darling!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks for that article. I had no idea that there were more out there with lifeguards now (other than Disney). Good to hear.

Thanks so much for your kinds words.

Sakari is quite a talented little artist. Do you have her in any art classes?

No, not yet. I'm thinking about signing her up for some art classes at the local college this summer. She is already accepted into the gifted and talented art program for when she gets into middle school.

OMG! Loki is gorgeous!!! With a face like that, I now see why he can get away with his shenanigans

Yea he's our baby...but he tries to get away with everything but for the most part, he's a pretty good husky compared to what other husky owners have told me is normal. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

I didn't ask but wanted to thank you as well. My husband and I will be in an inside down from the hall from yours in a few weeks. I especially appreciated the closet pic so I know my clothes will fit.

Excited!

You are very welcome and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Here's some date and ship info for the motorcycle cruises on Celebrity:

ETA Motorcycle Cruise to Bermuda (5/13-20/2018) @ Celebrity Summit

ETA Motorcycle Cruise to Bermuda (5/20-27/2018) @ SUMMIT

Motorcycle Cruise (6/09-16) 2018 @ EQUINOX

Motorcycle Cruise (1/04-18) 2019 @ Celebrity Reflection (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (1/18-28) 2019 @ REFLECTION

Motorcycle Cruise (2/01-10) 2019 @ Silhouette

Motorcycle Cruise (2/08-18) 2019 @ REFLECTION

Motorcycle Cruise (3/03-15) 2019 @ Silhouette

Motorcycle Cruise (3/10-17) 2019 @ EDGE

Motorcycle Cruise (3/24-4/5) 2019 @ Silhouette

Motorcycle Cruise (4/12-22) 2019 @ REFLECTION

ETA Motorcycle Cruise to Bermuda (5/5-12/2019) @ Summit

ETA Motorcycle Cruise to Bermuda (5/12-19/2019) @ SUMMIT

Motorcycle Cruise (11/14-22) 2019 @ Celebrity Silhouette (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (12/01-19) 2019 @ Celebrity EDGE (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (1/10-20) 2020 @ Celebrity Reflection (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (1/24-2/02) 2020 @ Celebrity Reflection (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (2/02-14) 2020 @ Celebrity Silhouette (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (2/14-23) 2020 @ Celebrity Silhouette (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (2/23-3/06) 2020 @ Celebrity Silhouette (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (3/08-15) 2020 @ Celebrity EDGE (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (3/15-27) 2020 @ Celebrity Silhouette (FLL)

Motorcycle Cruise (4/11-21) 2020 @ Celebrity Equinox (FLL)

But warn her that besides the regular cruise price when you make your cruise deposit you have to pay an additional $325 per bike, and then you have to pay an additional $595 per bike while on the cruise to cover your gas, insurance, etc. so it can get pretty pricey. clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

And speaking of the lifeguards, we were at the bar and watched one on the Oasis for at least a half hour standing and watching the water even while no one was in the pool - apparently they are not allowed to sit down, even if no one is there (or this guy just liked to stand at attention! LOL)

I'll pass along the info on the bike cruises. Does the $395 deposit go toward the extra $595 per bike or no?

I also noticed they never once sat down and when they "tagged out" with another person, they would walk from one end to another with each other to check and double check (even if no one was in the pool) and then relieve each other.

Like you I only like sweet wine. clear.png?emoji-heart-193Next time you are in Olive Garden try their Italla Roscato its a Red Moscato and is delicious. Sweet like Moscato

I only happened to try the other wine because they were giving samples and I'm so glad I did. I don't like red wines at all though. I do know that.

Kendra and I discovered that they have an awesome Green Apple Moscato Sangria. Yummy!

Thanks for all the detail in your review. We are on he JOS on April 29. What is the common dress for men and women on non-formal days in the dining room? Have not cruised RCI before. Thanks for your help.

There were people in there with shorts on and others that were dressed up.

Excellent review Kim. I like the suggestion that you speak to young women and I totally get your aversion to public speaking. That said, maybe you can convey your encouragement via written word. Clearly you are well organized and that is a huge asset for writing.

And happy belated birthday to the mermaid with the most prescious smile ever! Enjoy it while it lasts. My daughter is almost done with her Masters and narrowing her choices for the PhD program she will participate in. As you know, it goes by in the blink of an eye.

Thank you so much for the kind words. I try to stay organized, but sometimes I think it's a little too much for the norm. clear.png?emoji-tearsjoy-1678 Sometimes a little on the OCD side. LOL

I'm definitely trying to enjoying Sakari being little. She is growing up fast. I cherish every moment.

FINAL THOUGHTS ON ST MAARTEN

I'm sure you can tell that we had an awesome day just driving around and seeing the sites. It was especially helpful to "get to know" my way around. I thought we made excellent time circling the entire island and going back where we started past the port at Simpson Bay. It will now make me less nervous about visiting any of the places on a different day in port in the future as far as time and distance. Sometimes when you look on a map, it looks far away, but now I know it can be done.

If I was to return, I wouldn't think twice about going back to Simpson Bay (and I would probably do just that). It was a beautiful beach and I wouldn't mind trying Karakter out.

I do have to say that I now kinda wished that we would have drove by and checked out Orient (even though I think we briefly discussed it and Kia was trying to show me places I had never seen) and another I had forgotten about (that I have heard mentioned on here) is Happy Bay and Friars Bay. Maybe I'll have to try them in the future. :D

I won't say much about the devastation of the island and them struggling to get back to normal and on their feet again. I think all of the pictures I shared speaks for itself. It's really hard to see in pictures and even harder to see in person. :(

DAY 4 ON THE SHIP:

Up next is Martinique. Another new island for us.

I set the alarm for 6:30am, as I had for every day this week so far, and the family was up by 7am.

P4031071%20copy-L.jpg

We headed to the buffet for breakfast and I had my "normal" breakfast food EXCEPT...look what I discovered this day (after asking my hubby where the heck did he kept getting these)....hash browns!!! Yes! I also decided to get cheese for my eggs. I usually only eat eggs with cheese and it's the one thing I miss when cruising. I really wished the cruise lines would put out the shredded cheese! I swung by to visit Bacon Mountain and some more of that yummy corned beef hash. The cook didn't have any omelettes out to pick from, so just scrambled eggs with cheese will do today.

P4031073%20copy-L.jpg

Once again...where is everyone??? Sleeping in? Not getting off the ship? I just can't believe we've never had to wait in line at breakfast or for a table or anything. I'm loving this!

Another thing noticed this morning...people walking in to satisfy their pop addiction...JUST LIKE ME!

It was 7:45am and we were still pulling into port. For some reason it took longer than normal to clear the ship. Usually they pull in and are cleared by 8am or a few minutes later and they let you off. Today, we would not be allowed to get off the ship until 8:40am. There was a lot of people waiting at the steps by then...THEN it felt crowded but the line moved QUICK!

Even though we were late getting off, I had to stop to get our pictures done. These go in my scrapbook so it's like an obligation now.

P4112788%20copy-L.jpg

I will admit, I struggled with this port up until about a week or two prior to cruising.

I knew there were basically 3 main beaches, reachable by the ferry. But so many inconsistent reports on the beaches that I decided that I would just get on whatever ferry took me where ever and that's the beach I would go to FIRST then head to another. I knew I definitely wanted to do Pointe De Bout and Anse Mitan.

So...on the info I gathered on here...this is what I came up with for Pointe De bout, Anse Mitan and Anse A L'Ane...just in case we made it there as well.

P4112828%20copy-XL.jpg

P4112829%20copy-XL.jpg

Then I also typed up my own ferry schedule, according to their website:

P4112830%20copy-XL.jpg

I also knew that you was to head off the ship, down the pier and then hang a right until you see the ferries, which is a short distance away.

We started walking and followed this blue walkway. I seen the words Exit and Taxis and knew we needed to go that way.

P4041074%20copy-L.jpg

I was actually very shocked at this port. There wasn't much to it. This was the vendor area and that's it! No Diamonds International building, no bottles of booze you have to wind your way around trying desperately not to let your beach bag hit it and no people trying to pull you in for business by yelling at you. It was very pleasant.

P4041075%20copy-L.jpg

Just a few vendors set up and that was it.

P4041076%20copy-L.jpg

I thought the exit with this turn style thing was kinda weird going out.

P4041077%20copy-L.jpg

Ok, so we made it out. I knew we didn't want a taxi, we just wanted to walk down and get the ferry so off we went.

P4041078%20copy-L.jpg

Exit...ok, going the right way still.

P4041079%20copy-L.jpg

Still walking down this "exit" area...

Although the port isn't very big, they make sure you still have a long way to walk to "get out" of this area.

P4041081%20copy-L.jpg

I seen everyone go left and was following the yellow brick road...only it was blue.

Blue is good. Blue is the color of the ocean. I like blue. I hope I like blue today.

But I was told you go right and down to the ferry by those on these boards. Hmm, could I have read that wrong? I would ask someone and they pointed left.

Ok, we are following the crowd on this one and throwing caution to the wind this time around.

P4041082%20copy-L.jpg

At one point, on a huge hill, a taxi van driver with a car full of people ask if we wanted a ride downtown and I told him no thank you, we're not going downtown.

It was a LONG walk. I was a little shocked actually. The blue road led across the street. This was super weird. Blue is the color of the sky...which is now beaming hotness down upon on.

P4041083%20copy-L.jpg

Another hill? You have got to be kidding me. This is NOT what I had thought. Everyone had said "it's not far". They said "super easy walk". They said "it'll be fun"...well not really on that last one but geesh.

P4041084%20copy-L.jpg

Ok, I found this sign and it made me feel at ease.

P4041085%20copy-L.jpg

We had been walking for exactly 10 minutes, but it felt more like about 20 minutes.

Still following the darn blue sidewalk. I'm not liking blue much anymore. Blue is symbolic of sadness. I am now sad that this is such a long walk and I should have ask for a taxi to "the ferry right around the corner"

P4041086%20copy-L.jpg

WHEW!! It says terminal passager. That must mean something right?

The blue walkway led there. It was like trying to get to the end of the rainbow to find the pot of gold.

P4041087%20copy-L.jpg

Although there wasn't a pot of gold at the end..just ANOTHER sign saying Ferry to the beach ------->>>> really?

P4041088%20copy-L.jpg

We continued to walk, knowing that at least we were following the signs to the ferry. I see that darn blue sticking out on the sidewalk. I guess we need to follow it. Blue is the feeling of my heart now.

P4041089%20copy-L.jpg

Sigh!!

P4041090%20copy-L.jpg

So...it looks like a fort ahead...

P4041091%20copy-L.jpg

At this point I wanted to tie myself to the anchor and be thrown into the ocean...you know, where it's BLUE!

P4041092%20copy-L.jpg

P4041093%20copy-L.jpg

P4041094%20copy-L.jpg

GASP!!! I see water! We MUST be close!!!

P4041095%20copy-L.jpg

YES!!! Water...and boats...and the real blue I wanted to see.

P4041096%20copy-L.jpg

But where are the ferries???? ALL THE WAY DOWN THERE! Sigh

P4041097%20copy-L.jpg

It was a very long walk just down this road, which had a park beside it and was actually very pretty.

P4041098%20copy-L.jpg

AH HA!!! What are these ships???? They took our parking spot!!! Now it all makes sense. Go down pier, turn right, there's the ferry terminal!!!

WE WERE AT THE WRONG DOCK! Ugh!

Well, at least that explains it.

P4041099%20copy-L.jpg

Still a long way to go.

P4041100%20copy-L.jpg

Well now...THIS must be TOWN and where the taxi van driver said he was taking passengers. I wanted to stab myself about now! He was only charging $2 pp!!

P4041101%20copy-L.jpg

Alright...game plan time while we are walking. We are going to the first dock and where ever it is going...we're going! Deal???

P4041102%20copy-L.jpg

Well guess what, the first dock didn't have a ferry so we had to keep walking on down.

Once we arrived, there was a ferry there and we stopped at a little stand under the awning on the pier and bought some pop for $2 and it was from a cooler and was ice cold! Just what hit the spot after that long day!

We got on the ferry and found that it was heading to Point de Bout! Perfect!!!

So it actually took us 30 minutes to walk here. Not really "too bad", but in the sun and heat, and not knowing where you are going...it felt like forever. But we made it.