MITSUGIRLY has a JEWEL of a time on my 1st RC cruise in years!

HaPpY BiRtHdAy SaKaRi!!!

b_day_fhe15-9765a1550ad08156fd9a39fe38c80e53.png

She loved this! Thanks

A belated Happy Birthday to Sakari! Sorry I didn't check in again yesterday to see your post.

May her year be filled only with good things. She's a beautiful young lady!

Thanks so much.

ewwww I wouldn't be able to eat that either

I know right!

Following! Love the review so far, the photos are amazing!

Thanks and I appreciate it.

Ok lesson learned, do not take the beards full day tour. Thank you so much. I really would have been freaking out!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Yea, I wouldn't suggest it.

There are many foods I like on the underdone side, but hamburgers are not one of them. That could easily get somebody sick, especially out on a tropical island. Great review, loving how thorough you are. Feel like I was there (helps that we just did this cruise last year for our 20th).

Exactly.

Thanks for the comments and glad you are enjoying the review.

Wow...i was on nerves just reading how close you were returning to the ship. Can only imagine what you all went through. Phew...so glad all turned out.

Imagine how I felt. LOL clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

Happy, happy birthday to Sakari! I felt nervous for you for all aboard time!!! Gorgeous pictures as always. Thanks for taking the time to take us along!

Thank you. I was super nervous too.

You had a good 30 minutes. The all aboard time is intentionally 30 minutes prior to departure. Aim for that time as a cutoff, and you actually have 30 minutes emergency time. I've seen people running down that pier at 2 minutes before DEPARTURE time.

I'm kind of a sick puppy because I sit out on deck before departure to catch a view of people running to catch the ship. I've never seen anyone left, but it did bite me in the butt once. I'll tell you the story if you want me to.

Yea, I would never chance that 30 minute time frame. I have seen someone running on the ship as they were putting the ramp up before. I would never ever do that if it's within my power.

I guess I'm a sick puppy too because I sometimes sick on the deck and watch the pier runners if they have announced names over and over and I know it's time to leave. I've seen a lot of close calls. I just don't want to be "that" person. LOL

I would love to hear your story.

I'm happy to hear that Sakari had a great birthday! I would be SO nervous about coming in so late from the tour. We always book things on our own too, and I make sure to have a one-hour buffer before all aboard. One time my husband wanted to stay longer. I wasn't worried, until it was 15 minutes before all aboard. I went down to the waiting/party area (Gotta love NCL dock parties!) and waited for him out there. He was one of the last ones in. Not a pier runner, but I was still scared! The staff was bringing me those iced towels to keep me cooled down. I hate taking chances.

I always time it to at least get back to the port in plenty of time. Then if there's extra time, we'll hang out in port.

LOL on the iced towels...I would have needed that too.

Wow. I would have been freaking out. I get so nervous about the time. Our last tour got us to the ship a good half hour before we had to be back and I was still uncomfortable the entire time. I could not relax.

Great review so far!

Thanks and yes it's hard to relax and enjoy yourself if you already think there's a chance that you may be late.

Great review so far - keep it coming! clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

Thanks John!

Great review, best one I've seen around in a while. Question, is the Poggio wine a sweet or dry wine? I ask because I'm always trying to find a wine my wife likes. She likes semi sweet to sweet. None dry. Thanks.

Why thank you so much. My reviews tend to be a little over the top. I hope you stick around.

Honestly, I'm a wine virgin and don't really know what it's considered. I know that's it's sweet. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

I would’ve been a nervous wreck with Big Beards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I was!

Love your reviews! Thank you so much for doing them [emoji4]. We had no problem bringing soda onboard Oasis a couple of weeks ago. I bought cans and packed them in an extra suitcase with water.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

ARE YOU SERIOUS???? I asked this question prior to cruising and everyone on here told me you were not allowed to bring you own soda! Ugh!

Enjoying your cruise review so far!

Thank you

No problem at all with the soda or the water. I purposely chose can though because it would be pretty impossible to tamper with them/smuggle booze. But the water was in bottles. I was actually somewhat surprised they made it through - given it was a spring break week. I was prepared to be summoned to the “naughty room “ [emoji1]

Tonight's show was "Production Showtime" featuring the Royal Caribbean singing and dancing. Hmm, there's no name for the show or what it's about? That's weird.

We watched the show for awhile and it had something to do with "love" and "being beautiful". They kept singing "I am beautiful" and said a few "damn's" in their songs too. LOL I couldn't help but laugh. Now honestly, I did not like the show. I thought it was kinda cheesy. I didn't think their voices were the greatest (some ok) but the dance moves...hmmm. Many were off beat at any given time or playing catch up a beat behind and I seen a couple, here and there throughout the show, that were definitely behind on the others doing the same thing. I wasn't impressed at all. Actually disappointed. I have always read that they have wonderful shows on RC. Ok, maybe the next time would be better.

Thank you for this. Honestly I've never found any shipboard entertainment that beats Disney's, but...

My friend and I are musical snobs (I live in NYC, she grew up here though she's in Florida now, and are BIG Broadway (and offBroadway) fans) who are VERY picky about this kind of thing. I'd read in a review somewhere that this nightmare thing I sat through on Radiance in Alaska - called "City of Dreams" - was on the Jewel and I'd already warned C that we would be skipping that one. (I should have bolted on the Radiance when the Cruise Director introduced it with "The story is...well...um...if you've been drinking - A LOT - it might make some sense to you.")

Sounds like we'll be skipping all of them when we're on her in a couple of months.

I, for one, don't care for the rounded foot of the bed. I like to sleep on my stomach with my forefoot hanging off the bed. With the rounded bed, one foot hangs off fine while the other is dangling WAY out there and the bed cuts into my shin. Not comfortable.

Harry

I, for one, don't care for the rounded foot of the bed. I like to sleep on my stomach with my forefoot hanging off the bed. With the rounded bed, one foot hangs off fine while the other is dangling WAY out there and the bed cuts into my shin. Not comfortable.

Harry

Couldn't you just scoot your pillow/head down a bit to do that

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Yea, I would never chance that 30 minute time frame. I have seen someone running on the ship as they were putting the ramp up before. I would never ever do that if it's within my power.

I guess I'm a sick puppy too because I sometimes sick on the deck and watch the pier runners if they have announced names over and over and I know it's time to leave. I've seen a lot of close calls. I just don't want to be "that" person. LOL

I would love to hear your story.

Since you asked:D I would hate to hijack your wonderful thread.

So, I was on Grandeur of the Seas over NYE, 2014-2015. To date, out of all my cruises except my wedding cruise, this was the best cruise I've ever taken (out of NCL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess and Celebrity). It was the first cruise with my new family (wife's kids). The younger one made friends easily so she became really popular with her group, really quickly.

Anyways, we had just returned from a full day at Coba while docked in Cozumel. We all sat down in the Atrium for a bit. We were all talking with another couple we met when we were joined by one of the younger's one's friends who joined in the conversation. Well, I was already fairly tired so i was not into the conversation as much as everyone else. I looked at my watch and saw it was about 10 minutes before departure, so i excused myself to go up on deck. I was not disappointed. I saw a pair of guys booking it down the long Cozumel pier making it just in time as they pulled the gangplank. Satisfied, i returned back to the Atrium where my wife asked me where did i just go (sometimes, she doesn't hear me because she is partially deaf). I told her I went to see the running of the drunks (which is what i called the event of the pier runners). Its usually apropo in cozumel because that's a port for drinking. Anyways, my youngest one's friend was curious and asked me what the running of the drunks was. Well, I explained to her that sometimes, I will sit up on deck and watch people run ragged down the port to make the ship. That's when her attitude took a nosedive. She asked if i saw anyone and I said, yeah, there was a pair that made it onboard. She asked if they wore some description that I don't remember, and I told her that I didn't think that was what they were wearing. Well, she then informed us that her father and brother aren't back on the ship because they were doing something stupid (her words). Apparently, the ship staff had already come to the room and asked for the passport because they didn't know where they were and they haven't made it back to the ship. After that, I felt like crap because I just took pleasure in the activity that inadvertently left her father and brother behind.

Fortunately, it turns out the the pair I saw booking it down the pier WAS her brother and father, so they actually did make it back..barely. She didn't know it until later in the evening, but she was already told that her brother and Father weren't onboard and they were preparing to leave them.

Day 3 on the ship and St Maarten port day.

So, a little history...

If you remember in the beginning of my review I posted about thrilled (Kia) and our history. If you don't here it is copied and pasted:

So a little history. From me doing reviews here on cc, I made the most wonderful friend! During one of my St Maarten reviews maybe 2 or so years ago, she messaged me with info because she had actually lived there for 7 years, but had moved back to the US. She told me if I was ever to cruise to St Maarten again and she was there on land vacation, she would show me the sites.

So...guess what? I am taking her up on this offer! Kia had originally said since she goes to St Maarten every year for a land vacation she wasn't getting off the ship at all, but ask me what my plans were. I had originally planned to just to to Simpson Bay to hang out on the beach around the Karakter Beach Bar, but then I remembered her "offer"...go me!

We decided to rent a car and she would drive us around to see all over St Maarten. It sounded like a plan and I started researching the various places in the area to rent a car.

We ended up going with a place called Rodael Car Rental. They said they would be at the port to pick us up and their rental was a decent price compared to others. Total with tax was $103.50. They wanted a 20% down payment to secure the card but it seemed next to impossible to get in touch with them. I had 2 different numbers and they never answered. I finally emailed the owner back and he took a few days to respond. By then I had actually gotten in touch with someone else and he told me to "just show up" and didn't take a deposit. Then owner confirmed that this was ok and they would see us in port.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Starting our day...

My alarm was set for 6:30am as it would be every day this week for ports. We headed to the buffet around 7:30am and once again, there wasn't a crowd at all. Where is everyone???

I got my usual...I love this corned beef hash they make. It was so good! I visited bacon mountain and it was cooked to perfection! So it wasn't a dream? There really wasn't any bacon police! I could get use to this! (I still had not discovered you could get actual hash browns yet).

P4030770%20copy-L.jpg

We were docked by 8am and we headed off the ship to the paparazzi for our pictures.

P4112791%20copy-L.jpg

Our instructions from Rodael said to head out of the port and gates and they would meet us there...only I can't seem to follow instructions and question myself every step of the way.

P4030772%20copy-L.jpg

We stopped to ask (at the taxi stand) where to meet Rodael at and they pointed over across the parking lot to this building that said "Hertz car rental". Ok, Hertz-Rodael, yea that sounds the same and makes sense that 2 competing companies would be located together (but hey, they repeated the name Rodael, so I know they heard me).

We trotted, in the already hot sun at 8:15am in the morning, to the car rental place only to be told, no it's "that way"...which was what I originally thought...outside the port.

P4030774%20copy-L.jpg

Kia and family were not here yet and neither was Rodael. We asked someone outside there and they said "he was here but went down the street and told me to tell you to wait right here". No biggie since we were waiting on the other half of our crew to arrive.

We played keep-out-of-the-sun and used the hill in front of us to block it. We kept having to move and move and before long, there was no staying out of the sun.

P4030775%20copy-L.jpg

Kia and family finally arrived and I'm so glad they didn't give up trying to find us. I don't believe she knew that you were to go outside the port either but decided to give it a shot and found us.

The guy outside decided to call Rodael for us and he arrived around 8:45am.

He took us back to the rental place, we signed papers, we paid the money and we were headed out.

Our chauffeur for the day.

P4030777%20copy-L.jpg

These streets are tight. They are bumpy. They are sometimes crazy. But we felt comfortable knowing we had an "ex-local" taking us around...until she informed us that her dad is usually the driver when they stay here...and then that she's really not a great driver...then proceeded to tell us about the accidents she's had in the past...and even those recently. From there on out...Sakari would be on her about every little thing. LOL She should have never gave up that information voluntarily.

Kim, I'm still laughing about the fish with teeth! Your DH must listen about as well as mine does because I'm sure you have told him many times who those fish with teeth are!

That was a beautiful school of the blue surgeonfish!

We went to Buck Island on our last cruise that stopped in St Thomas. It was before the hurricanes last year. The day we were there I saw 2 turtles, and 7 pirate ships. That doesn't take into account the catamarans, sailboats, speed boats, cabin cruisers, I think you get the idea. All of those boats were full of would be snorkelers, many of whom did not know how to swim. It was a private excursion, and said in bold letters right in the description that we would be anchored in deep water! Needless to say, it was not the beautiful day of snorkeling I had hoped for. All of the marine life took one look at the fleet of snorkel boats descending on their cove and went elsewhere for the day. Can't say I blame them. I did enjoy the sailboat we were on, but I doubt I would go back there.

I can't wait to hear about the adventure it sounds like you're about to embark on in St Maarten!

A very belated Happy Birthday to Sakari! Glad it was a wonderful day!

We went to Buck Island on our last cruise that stopped in St Thomas.

Buck Island off of St. Thomas is not Buck Island Reef National Park Monument off of St Croix which only has 6 approved boat vendors. We also made that mistake our first visit to St Thomas, lol, but we loved the St Thomas catamaran day even after realizing it was not what I intended.

Kim, I am loving this review, your fabulous pictures and your excellent insights. We did the Big Beard 1/2 day and, while not the best snorkeling we have done, Buck Island was on my must-do list as the only US Park Service underwater monument. We had a great day but, like you, we don't need to do it again. I can't wait to read where else your adventure takes you and beautiful Sakari.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quite a piece. Count the hearts. Not all are obvious :D

. . . oh, and nice review :)

I know...she throws in a lot of hearts in places. Kinda neat.

No problem at all with the soda or the water. I purposely chose can though because it would be pretty impossible to tamper with them/smuggle booze. But the water was in bottles. I was actually somewhat surprised they made it through - given it was a spring break week. I was prepared to be summoned to the “naughty room “ [emoji1]

Yea, we always bring cans on other cruise lines. We were also cruising during spring break so I'm shocked they didn't even check the wine.

Thank you for this. Honestly I've never found any shipboard entertainment that beats Disney's, but...

My friend and I are musical snobs (I live in NYC, she grew up here though she's in Florida now, and are BIG Broadway (and offBroadway) fans) who are VERY picky about this kind of thing. I'd read in a review somewhere that this nightmare thing I sat through on Radiance in Alaska - called "City of Dreams" - was on the Jewel and I'd already warned C that we would be skipping that one. (I should have bolted on the Radiance when the Cruise Director introduced it with "The story is...well...um...if you've been drinking - A LOT - it might make some sense to you.")

Sounds like we'll be skipping all of them when we're on her in a couple of months.

Yea, I didn't care for any of them and I probably won't ever sail Disney so...I guess I will have to find other ways to entertain myself. LOL

Harry

When I sleep on my stomach, I like my feet hanging off the bed. clear.png?emoji-tearsjoy-1678

Since you askedclear.png?emoji-grin-1677 I would hate to hijack your wonderful thread.

So, I was on Grandeur of the Seas over NYE, 2014-2015. To date, out of all my cruises except my wedding cruise, this was the best cruise I've ever taken (out of NCL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess and Celebrity). It was the first cruise with my new family (wife's kids). The younger one made friends easily so she became really popular with her group, really quickly.

Anyways, we had just returned from a full day at Coba while docked in Cozumel. We all sat down in the Atrium for a bit. We were all talking with another couple we met when we were joined by one of the younger's one's friends who joined in the conversation. Well, I was already fairly tired so i was not into the conversation as much as everyone else. I looked at my watch and saw it was about 10 minutes before departure, so i excused myself to go up on deck. I was not disappointed. I saw a pair of guys booking it down the long Cozumel pier making it just in time as they pulled the gangplank. Satisfied, i returned back to the Atrium where my wife asked me where did i just go (sometimes, she doesn't hear me because she is partially deaf). I told her I went to see the running of the drunks (which is what i called the event of the pier runners). Its usually apropo in cozumel because that's a port for drinking. Anyways, my youngest one's friend was curious and asked me what the running of the drunks was. Well, I explained to her that sometimes, I will sit up on deck and watch people run ragged down the port to make the ship. That's when her attitude took a nosedive. She asked if i saw anyone and I said, yeah, there was a pair that made it onboard. She asked if they wore some description that I don't remember, and I told her that I didn't think that was what they were wearing. Well, she then informed us that her father and brother aren't back on the ship because they were doing something stupid (her words). Apparently, the ship staff had already come to the room and asked for the passport because they didn't know where they were and they haven't made it back to the ship. After that, I felt like crap because I just took pleasure in the activity that inadvertently left her father and brother behind.

Fortunately, it turns out the the pair I saw booking it down the pier WAS her brother and father, so they actually did make it back..barely. She didn't know it until later in the evening, but she was already told that her brother and Father weren't onboard and they were preparing to leave them.

haha, good story. I'm glad that her dad and brother made it back in time. That would be a scary situation. One I never want to be in.

Kim, I'm still laughing about the fish with teeth! Your DH must listen about as well as mine does because I'm sure you have told him many times who those fish with teeth are!

That was a beautiful school of the blue surgeonfish!

We went to Buck Island on our last cruise that stopped in St Thomas. It was before the hurricanes last year. The day we were there I saw 2 turtles, and 7 pirate ships. That doesn't take into account the catamarans, sailboats, speed boats, cabin cruisers, I think you get the idea. All of those boats were full of would be snorkelers, many of whom did not know how to swim. It was a private excursion, and said in bold letters right in the description that we would be anchored in deep water! Needless to say, it was not the beautiful day of snorkeling I had hoped for. All of the marine life took one look at the fleet of snorkel boats descending on their cove and went elsewhere for the day. Can't say I blame them. I did enjoy the sailboat we were on, but I doubt I would go back there.

I can't wait to hear about the adventure it sounds like you're about to embark on in St Maarten!

A very belated Happy Birthday to Sakari! Glad it was a wonderful day!

I know right? (The fish with teeth). We see them everywhere, but I guess in his defense, he doesn't snorkel with me a lot now that Sakari is a pro at it. He just has her go out with me and he don't move from his lounge chair...(other than his hand to his mouth). LOL

I have only seen this many surgeonfish once before and that was scuba diving in November in Roatan. It's mesmerizing to watch. I had seen pictures like this online for Buck Island and I was shocked that we even came across them. (Since you usually don't see what others have seen in the past).

That's a different Buck Island. Not the same as this one. I was contemplating going to the Buck Island you are referring to next time we were in St Thomas because I had heard so many good things about it (but needed to take a ferry over to it).

Kim, I am loving this review, your fabulous pictures and your excellent insights. We did the Big Beard 1/2 day and, while not the best snorkeling we have done, Buck Island was on my must-do list as the only US Park Service underwater monument. We had a great day but, like you, we don't need to do it again. I can't wait to read where else your adventure takes you and beautiful Sakari.

Thanks and yea, I thought the island was beautiful and it was on my must do list as well, but I'll probably never return back there. The snorkeling just wasn't what I had expected I guess from the fish to the coral. Just a let down for me.

Harry

Couldn't you just scoot your pillow/head down a bit to do that

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Read my first post again. One foot hangs off fine while the other hangs WAY off. If I scoot down they will BOTH hang way off. :D

Harry

We were on the Radiance last year to Alaska. I usually like musical productions but we had to leave after about 15 minutes when we went to the show, it was so bad. We didn’t go to another show after that. (We have also done DCL and their shows are pretty good. IMO)

Now if you ever make it to one of the Oasis class ships, the shows are pretty awesome. My favorite is the Aqua show, followed by the ice skating shows. Now the story lines are strange and pretty much non existent, but the talent and the things that they do are amazing! Especially when you think about them doing these things on a moving ship!

So glad that you are enjoying “bacon mountain”! Lol! It is one of my son’s favorite things about cruising. Haha!

Buck Island off of St. Thomas is not Buck Island Reef National Park Monument off of St Croix which only has 6 approved boat vendors. We also made that mistake our first visit to St Thomas, lol, but we loved the St Thomas catamaran day even after realizing it was not what I intended.

I know right? (The fish with teeth). We see them everywhere, but I guess in his defense, he doesn't snorkel with me a lot now that Sakari is a pro at it. He just has her go out with me and he don't move from his lounge chair...(other than his hand to his mouth). LOL

I have only seen this many surgeonfish once before and that was scuba diving in November in Roatan. It's mesmerizing to watch. I had seen pictures like this online for Buck Island and I was shocked that we even came across them. (Since you usually don't see what others have seen in the past).

That's a different Buck Island. Not the same as this one. I was contemplating going to the Buck Island you are referring to next time we were in St Thomas because I had heard so many good things about it (but needed to take a ferry over to it).

Thanks to both of you! I didn't realize there were TWO Buck Islands. I have read about both of them at different times, but didn't realize that they were not the same place, even though a lot of the details didn't seem to match up. Now it all makes sense!

Does Sakari have aspirations to use her artistic talent as a career yet? I know she is only ten but seems so mature.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

She changes yearly. One year she wants to be a firefighter :o The next it's working on a cruise ship. The next it's being a vet. She has mentioned painting once...like they do the ship hull art on NCL. You just never know with her. She does say "I'm NOT going to school to be a teacher though!!!" LOL

We were on the Radiance last year to Alaska. I usually like musical productions but we had to leave after about 15 minutes when we went to the show, it was so bad. We didn’t go to another show after that. (We have also done DCL and their shows are pretty good. IMO)

Now if you ever make it to one of the Oasis class ships, the shows are pretty awesome. My favorite is the Aqua show, followed by the ice skating shows. Now the story lines are strange and pretty much non existent, but the talent and the things that they do are amazing! Especially when you think about them doing these things on a moving ship!

So glad that you are enjoying “bacon mountain”! Lol! It is one of my son’s favorite things about cruising. Haha!

Yea, I have always heard about the awesome shows on RC but I kept saying "it has to be on the bigger mega ships with the water and ice shows".

Bacon Mountain is awesome!!!

Do you happen to remember if they have Caribbean Stud or Let It Ride in the casino?

I had to look both of those up to see if they were familiar. It looks like they are both card games? If so, I don't do the card games so have no idea.

Hey Mitsu,

That was me who requested the stateroom photos, thank you for posting :) Lovely room btw!

You are very welcome.

Ok, sorry about the delay...I have A LOT of pictures from our day in St Maarten so it has taken awhile to figure out which pictures to use. There are a lot because we drove the entire island and there was so much devastation that it was hard to just pick and chose which pictures to use. I'm sure I probably used about 1/4 of them and there's still a lot!

I will continue my review when I return home from work today.

Thanks for sticking with me and everyone have a wonderful day.

We were on this sailing too!! Look forward to reading your take on the worlds longest muster drill! We stayed the night before at La Concha on Condado and had a wonderful (though far more expensive) experience. Wish I could have shared my cold a/c with you!

Ugh, I almost forgot about the Muster Drill. Thanks for reminding me. :mad::mad::loudcry:

-F-:mad:

Ok, sorry about the delay...I have A LOT of pictures from our day in St Maarten so it has taken awhile to figure out which pictures to use. There are a lot because we drove the entire island and there was so much devastation that it was hard to just pick and chose which pictures to use. I'm sure I probably used about 1/4 of them and there's still a lot!

We were supposed to go to St Maarten again on our cruise back in the end of March but they completely changed our itinerary due to the hurricane damage. We were looking forward to going there....oh well, next time!

The newer/bigger ships have the Broadway type shows. I can only account for Mamma Mia, but they did a really good job (seen it 25 times in total so have lots of productions to compare it to). We'll be on Mariner end of summer and I imagine that will be more like Jewel...more cheezy.

P.S. - Interesting about the rounded beds at the end. Don't think I would have noticed that...good eye. :-) Maybe its a space issue giving a bit more room as you're walking on the sides?

We headed back up to the pool deck to hang out until it was time for the safety drill, which was 6:30pm.

We checked in and before long it began.

P4010324%20copy-L.jpg

Well, the safety drill was not even over until 7pm and then the hoards of crowds made it impossible to move quickly to get all the way back up to the 11th floor to participate.

You touched on it but the drill was incredibly long.

I have no idea what happened on this drill that caused it to take close to 45 minutes. I have sailed on the JotS before and do not recall the drill being this long. We had multiple "older" guests who were ushered away so they did not have to stand that long and a young lady who became faint while waiting for the drill.

The to top it all off, our Steward came by the next day and told me we had to go to another drill, because they thought we missed it. Finally I signed a piece of paper and the Steward left.

-F-