Need help with understanding pre cruise hotel package in Copenhagen!!!!

So any of you been to Copenhagen and stayed a day or so before cruise at the Scandic Palace hotel?

If so did your package include transfer from AIRPORT to the hotel?

If not, how did you find your way to the hotel? What worked for you.? I am coming 2 days ahead of others in my group so I will be on my own.

I will eventually call RCI before I make final payment but I did not think to ask about transfer to hotel at time of booking. I do have transfer to the pier.

Any help from past cruisers on Serenade in Copenhagen would be greatly appreciated. :D

Copenhagen has very good public transportation. We sailed out of there in 2016 and arrived a day early. We stayed by the airport but took the train into the city for sightseeing. No issues, bought a pass that let us go where we needed. I am not sure where your hotel is, did not look it up. You should be able to Google Copenhagen Denmark transportation to see options.

You might ask this on the roll call thread for this sailing.

I am not doing a roll call nor do I think they work.

Rather I want folks who have travelled in the past and had hotel package with the cruise line. I am looking for past traveller's advice as I forgot to ask RCI about getting to the hotel.

What does a hotel pre cruise package include for Copenhagen at least those who travelled in 2017 or 2016?

Copenhagen has very good public transportation. We sailed out of there in 2016 and arrived a day early. We stayed by the airport but took the train into the city for sightseeing. No issues, bought a pass that let us go where we needed. I am not sure where your hotel is, did not look it up. You should be able to Google Copenhagen Denmark transportation to see options.

thanks. My hotel a block or so away from the T Gardens and I know the Main Train station is behind that.

Royal's pre cruise hotel package only includes the transfer FROM the hotel to the pier.

Most times it also includes breakfast at your hotel.

Scandia Palace is very centrally located in COP, a short walk from Tivoli Gardens, the HOHO boat stops and many restaurants and shops.

The central train station in COP is within walking distance of the Scandia hotel, probably about a 10 minute walk.

There are many modes of transportation available from the airport to the hotel. Besides the train there are taxis and shuttle services available.

Just remember to watch out for the bicycles:)

Royal's pre cruise hotel package only includes the transfer FROM the hotel to the pier.

Most times it also includes breakfast at your hotel.

Scandia Palace is very centrally located in COP, a short walk from Tivoli Gardens, the HOHO boat stops and many restaurants and shops.

The central train station in COP is within walking distance of the Scandia hotel, probably about a 10 minute walk.

There are many modes of transportation available from the airport to the hotel. Besides the train there are taxis and shuttle services available.

Just remember to watch out for the bicycles:)

thanks very much for your reply. I think I will do train if I am brave with 2 suitcases or just do a taxi. My hotel would be a 20 min walk. But at least I know now that transfers to hotel are not offered from RCI. :mad:

Funny : Princess for their Southampton trips and using London hotels, they include a transfer to hotel. Oh well RCI doesn't.

I have heard about those bicycles too. thanks. wish me luck on the B2B where the 2nd cruise goes to St. Petersburg.

I haven’t been to Copenhagen, but I believe that you are always paying too much when you book pre cruise thru the cruiseline. You can book the hotel directly or similar hotel for a lot less money, and save enough to buy some meals and transportation. If you are able to get around on your own.

JC

I haven’t been to Copenhagen, but I believe that you are always paying too much when you book pre cruise thru the cruiseline. You can book the hotel directly or similar hotel for a lot less money, and save enough to buy some meals and transportation. If you are able to get around on your own.

JC

That's what we do when we fly to ports. :)

So any of you been to Copenhagen and stayed a day or so before cruise at the Scandic Palace hotel?

No, I haven't. But I've lived in the city for the last 55 years :-)

Copenhagen is the city of public transportation and bicycles. The train station is literally in the middle of the airport. When you stay at Scandic Palace (which is placed right on the Town Hall Square) it would be easiest to take the train - not the metro - to the main station (København H).

There is a ticket office in the airport.

Try rejseplanen.dk - they also work in English. Or ask anyone. Every Dane under the age of 50 has had at least five years of English in school. Most speak it fairly well (albeit with a heavy accent), and understand a lot more.

Anything that requires human help is expensive in Denmark. Salaries are high - OTOH, you don't have to tip. Truly don't have to tip. Anywhere. You can, and they will probably be thankful, but you don't have to. A taxi would probably cost you like 200 kr ($30-35)

There are bicycle lanes between the sidewalk and the car lanes. DON'T WALK ON THEM. Bicycles are for transportation in the city. They go fast, and they expect to have the lanes to themselves.

Oh, BTW - see you on the Serenade :-) I'll probably be knitting somewhere.

We didn't stay at the Scandic last August but most I think will have the desk call a cab. One of the ladies from our Roll Call arranged a bus for our group of 30. Speaking of the bicycles, be very aware of the people on them as they will drive right over you. We witnessed a lady about to be pushed up the ramp of the HOHO bus we were on almost got mowed down as the guy went between her and the ramp. Needless to say the driver yelled some words back i can't mention here.

JC

And I agree with you 99,9% of the time. However, this year we are staying at the Movenpick Hotel in Amsterdam for 3 pre cruise nights and it was less expensive than booking on our own at any of the travel sites or directly with the hotel. ROYAL included breakfast and transfer, although my understanding is the pier is directly next to the hotel so you can walk there and don't need the transfer. We may just put our suitcases on the transfer vehicle:). This was the only time I have seen booking thru Royal be less expensive than booking direct.....and notice I didn't say "cheaper". Hotel is expensive and perhaps as it gets closer to the sail date the price will come down, but I kept checking from the time we selected the hotel up until final payment and Royal was always less.

Hi go this this link and ask your question there at the end. It is very helpful to me for my trip to Copenhagen for my summer cruise. Enjoy your trip

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2616429 ( Highlight the whole link and then click on Open Link)

I second this suggestion. "Danish Viking" will personally answer any questions you may have. She lives in Copenhagen. Be prepared for sticker shock. It is a very expensive city.

We stayed at the Hilton across the street from the airport. It was comfortable but expensive. We each (2 of us) had a cheeseburger, fries and coke lite for $88.00 US. It was very tasty....not THAT tasty! At the Burger King in the airport we paid $32.00 US for (2) Whopper meals!

We took a taxi to the pier it was about $ 60.00 US if I remember correctly. We took the post cruise city tour with airport drop off , stayed at the Hilton over night. We just walked across the street the next day to the airport. I did find the security at the airport the strictest of any air port we have flown out of. So give yourself plenty of time.

Enjoy your cruise and Copenhagen!

And I agree with you 99,9% of the time. However, this year we are staying at the Movenpick Hotel in Amsterdam for 3 pre cruise nights and it was less expensive than booking on our own at any of the travel sites or directly with the hotel. ROYAL included breakfast and transfer, although my understanding is the pier is directly next to the hotel so you can walk there and don't need the transfer. We may just put our suitcases on the transfer vehicle:). This was the only time I have seen booking thru Royal be less expensive than booking direct.....and notice I didn't say "cheaper". Hotel is expensive and perhaps as it gets closer to the sail date the price will come down, but I kept checking from the time we selected the hotel up until final payment and Royal was always less.

It is perfectly fine to disagree with me 0.1% of the time. :')

I imagine that occasionally due to their contracted rate and something going on at the same time that the rate could be higher doing it on your own. My experience says this is rare. I give you credit for checking all options. Which is all we can really do as consumers. :)

JC

We did stay in Copenhagen pre-cruise in 2017. Did not use the RCL hotel package. We arranged a car service to pick us up at the airport and deliver to the hotel, and then pickup at the hotel and deliver to the pier.

I understand the public transportation is excellent, but we did not look forward to managing all our luggage to utilize this transportation.

I just like the idea of exiting the airport and having a driver with my name on his board. Truly the start of vacation for me. :):)

We cruised out of Copenhagen in 2016. We fell in love with the city and were glad we had a few days there before the cruise. We booked a hotel on our own and just took a taxi from the aiport to the hotel, from the hotel to the cruise port and from the cruise port to the aiport.

Everyone we met spoke perfect English and were friendly and helpful--even the polse street vendors. Polse are Danish hot dogs. Be sure to try one (assuming you like hot dogs or sausage). Also, we were there before the 2016 election and seriously EVERYONE we encountered asked us about what we thought about the candidates when they realized we were Americans. That probably still happens now.

Definitely check out Tivoli Gardens and take a canal tour if you can. We really enjoyed both.

Bikes are a serious mode of transportation in Copenhagen. You can see women in skirts and heels and men in suits pedaling away in the bike lanes on their way to work. Don't even THINK of walking in the bike lane or standing in the bike lane while waiting to cross the street! (Ask me how I know! :O ) Enjoy your cruise!

My wife and I did the Norwegian fjords out of Copenhagen last May. We arranged our hotel independently and booked two nights at the copenhagen Marriott hotel overlooking the water and it was ok but nothing special (apart from the cost). We arranged for a transfer from the airport prior to arriving. That went seamlessly. We did the canal boat trip and it was fab. We were really surprised how small the Little Mermaid was. The hotel arranged for a taxi to take us to the cruise terminal and that went fine as well. Not sure what ports you're visiting but if it's the fjords then Geiranger is one of the best ports of any cruise I've ever been to. Absolutely stunning. Enjoy your cruise

thanks everyone for their comments. It is easy to book a canal cruise at the hotel?

Also for using credit cards do I need a pin number. I don't plan on taking cash at ATM but just using card for purchases.

I might try the train if it is just a 5 minute walk with 2 suitcases. Then again.......... I shall see

Yes I am doing Geiranger.. I will look for the knitting lady ditmar2007.. I have not signed up for roll call yet

Canal cruise stops are easy to find, but you can buy tickets at or near Tivoli Gardens for the canal boats and HOHO bus.

We did need a PIN number to use the ATM,s. Bring lots of cash or a credit cad, as COP is very expensive.

We did the fjords cruise out of Copenhagen and it ranks among our very favorite cruises. Just an FYI...if you do the HOHO bus, keep your receipt. We could get a discount on the HOHObus in the next city by showing our receipt. Maybe that is still going on, we did that cruise in 2015.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Canal cruise stops are easy to find, but you can buy tickets at or near Tivoli Gardens for the canal boats and HOHO bus.

We did need a PIN number to use the ATM,s. Bring lots of cash or a credit cad, as COP is very expensive.

We did the fjords cruise out of Copenhagen and it ranks among our very favorite cruises. Just an FYI...if you do the HOHO bus, keep your receipt. We could get a discount on the HOHObus in the next city by showing our receipt. Maybe that is still going on, we did that cruise in 2015.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quot

Thanks for information. I plan to use chip credit for purchases only.

I also plan on doing the walking tour as suggested by R Steves.