Any late late boarders on purpose

airlink diva

I'm with you on this. As soon as I log off my work computer and walk out the office door, I'm on vacation. Actually I'm pretty worthless by about noon and while I'm physically still at work...I may have already mentally started vacation. ;)

Although I see logic in this, I see us always being at the terminal early! We are the kind that want to get on as soon as possible. We pay for the day and want to start enjoying as soon as possible. We have never felt overwhelmed or stressed about it, just pure excitement. We've been cruising for many many years and it's still exciting.

You also are paying for the last morning and port days so does this logic still apply? Do you stay on the ship on port days and are you last off when disembarking? Just curious as I read this so often.

You also are paying for the last morning and port days so does this logic still apply? Do you stay on the ship on port days and are you last off when disembarking? Just curious as I read this so often.
Staying on the ship on port days is a straw man because the cost of a cruise includes transportation to said ports. The port town itself is part of what people are paying for. So if someone says, "I paid for the day," that doesn't mean they have to stay on the ship in port to get their money's worth.

I wouldn't really count the morning of debark. Even though the first day of a cruise isn't technically a full day, you spend more time on board on the first day than you do the last. The last day is basically eat and get off the ship. Or just get off the ship. I think most people feel they get their money's worth even if they debark early.

Pam and I like to get on the ship early. We won’t pay for FTTF on Carnival but will try to get the earliest boarding time. We like to enjoy lunch on the first day and have some drinks before the muster drill. On one cruise we boarded late so by the time we got on all the bars and restaurants were closing so we had to wait until the drill ended. We hadn’t had lunch and I nearly passed out during the drill. All of the bars were jam packed as soon as the drill ended. So now we make sure we get on EARLY.

Our last cruise we did it and plan to keep checking in around 2. I love it.

We have a 4.5 hour drive to the port and used to leave at 5am to board early. Which meant I got no sleep because we packed last minute. Too exhausted the first night to enjoy anything.

Now we leave around 8:30 and have a leisurely drive with time for mishaps, bathroom breaks, and lunch. We get on the ship and go straight to the room to unpack everything and relax til muster. Then it' on!

For me it doesn't feel like the vacation is started until after muster anyway. So no need to rush to get there.

We are doing the same thing on our upcoming June cruise. Glad to see others leave the day of debarkation with a 4.5 hour drive - I was getting a little nervous. My husband is adamant that we won't leave until 8:00 - 8:30. Thinking we will have a late breakfast at Chick Fil-A on the road. We have early reservations for the steakhouse that night so no need to eat lunch on the ship. I agree with you - vacation doesn't really start until after muster and unpacking.

Living in S. Florida there have been many times I work a half day then get on a Thurs or Friday short cruise... so I don’t usually arrive till about 2-2:30 ish... love just walking onboard, most of the masses have eaten and are settling into cabins so shorter food lines.. many times we are off first thing and I go to work to minimize vacation days while maximizing cruise days... and yes, we always pick a port to do a “Ship excursion day” where we stay onboard and really enjoy the amenities

Edited by poz222
add

Leaving from my home port (Sydney, Australia) I generally have lunch first in one of the habour side restaurants looking at the ship! If we are leaving from elsewhere we tend to go straight from our hotel to the ship so arrive middayish. Late is more relaxed.

:lips-sealed:Shhhh - stop telling everyone our secret - if they all try it, it won't work for us anymore! We always arrive around 2:00 after having had a civilized lunch at a nice restaurant beforehand. I've never been able to understand the lure of the chaos that is the buffet on embarkation day. It's also great to breeze through check-in and go right to the cabin. We usually don't bother being out and around much until muster and sail away.

:lips-sealed:Shhhh - stop telling everyone our secret - if they all try it, it won't work for us anymore! We always arrive around 2:00 after having had a civilized lunch at a nice restaurant beforehand. I've never been able to understand the lure of the chaos that is the buffet on embarkation day. It's also great to breeze through check-in and go right to the cabin. We usually don't bother being out and around much until muster and sail away.
No need to worry, there's always going to be people who want to board during the morning hours, despite how they're treated by the holier-than-thou crowd. No one said people are "lured to the chaos" of the buffet on embarkation day. It's simply something you have to deal with. A couple years ago, we arrived at port at 10:30. Sure we had to stand in line for maybe a half hour, but I sure as heck didn't care, considering there was a cruise at the end of that line. ;) They started boarding at 11:30, we were zone two, on board and at the buffet by noon. Yeah, it was somewhat crowded, but we found a table for the five of us right away, had someone save it and watch our carry-ons while the others went and got lunch. We spread out to different vendors and none of us stood in line for more than five minutes. We, too, had a civilized lunch. Many people don't mind doing these things. To them, the end justifies the means.

But technically debarkation day is the beginning of day 8 on a 7 day cruise ;p but ofc I do get your point and we have 'wasted' several of our paid port fees by not getting off of the ship.

After weeks and months of reading that so many of you have gotten onto the ship so quickly by boarding later, we decided to change our arrival time to a later window. We have also always wanted to just GET ON THE SHIP!! as early as we could but a couple of times that didn't turn out very well. It's still nice to just get into the mix at the port but after about 10 cruises it started to become impossible to 'beat the rush'....because more and more people are doing that? At least that's how it seems.

Another reason I bring this up is traveling solo it's also better. Can't tell you when I would leave a sweater,magazine at a table and come back someone has moved it or trying to get food with a carryon and purse,just at the point less stress when travelling

I don’t have anything against boarding late, but as a practical point, it doesn’t work for us. We don’t live within driving distance of a cruise port so always fly in a day ahead of time and are at a hotel the night before. You are generally expected to check out by 11 or so. So you would have to cart your luggage around with you all day, or waste the extra few hours you have making an extra trip to and from the hotel if storing your luggage there. It’s just simpler to get up early and go to the port early.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t have anything against boarding late, but as a practical point, it doesn’t work for us. We don’t live within driving distance of a cruise port so always fly in a day ahead of time and are at a hotel the night before. You are generally expected to check out by 11 or so. So you would have to cart your luggage around with you all day, or waste the extra few hours you have making an extra trip to and from the hotel if storing your luggage there. It’s just simpler to get up early and go to the port early.

While you may find it simpler, we find it more relaxing to awake at a reasonable hour (since vacation has long since started), enjoy a cup of coffee, get in a quick workout, enjoy the pool, spa and other amenities, check out (asking the bellhop to hold our luggage) while we have a leisurely brunch on premise before heading for the port after 1 to be met with minimal crowds and a speedy boarding process. After depositing carry-ons in our ready stateroom and a quick clothing change, we are off to enjoy whatever strikes us around the ship.

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone does what works for them. Arrive early or arrive later - it's up to you. :D:D

While you may find it simpler, we find it more relaxing to awake at a reasonable hour (since vacation has long since started), enjoy a cup of coffee, get in a quick workout, enjoy the pool, spa and other amenities, check out (asking the bellhop to hold our luggage) while we have a leisurely brunch on premise before heading for the port after 1 to be met with minimal crowds and a speedy boarding process. After depositing carry-ons in our ready stateroom and a quick clothing change, we are off to enjoy whatever strikes us around the ship.

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone does what works for them. Arrive early or arrive later - it's up to you. [emoji3][emoji3]

Yep. Different strokes. If I’m simply ‘hanging out’ I’d much rather hang out on the ship than at a hotel. I’m a little OCD and I would have nagging thoughts about 1. Can’t lose track of time, 2. What time do I need to grab a taxi or shuttle, 3. What if there’s a traffic backup, 4. How big will the line be when I get there, etc that would stop me from relaxing and enjoying the time. Once I’m on the ship everything is ‘done’ and I can relax and start my vacation.

Oh good encourage as many people as possible to board late, so those of us who want/like to board early can breeze on to the ship [emoji13]

We always get FTTF, always arrive early and especially in NYC, never had to wait. We just breeze on with no waiting, drop off our stuff in the room (because it’s ready). We enjoy a nearly empty ship, no lines at the buffet, Mongolian Wok or Guys or Blue Iguana. Then we get a drink in the atrium and watch the hordes board [emoji16]

Even before FTTF, we always arrived as soon as we could - usually about 10:30 and rarely had to wait. We are often some of the first on the ship and it’s wonderful.

We boarded twice in Baltimore (with FTTF) and they don’t seem to be as efficient clearing the ship. We did have to wait a bit - not a problem because we were still in the first group on the ship after the Ps and Ds.

My sister and her family arrived later and were stuck in the parking lot while we had dropped our bags eaten and were having a drink in the atrium.

Everyone has to do things the way they like to do them, but please keep encouraging people to board later. We will watch you all from our balcony with a drink in hand. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We usually subscribe to the get on early philosophy...except in San Juan. The ship leaves pretty late. We dropped our bags with a porter and spent the day exploring. We had a small back pack with our documents, iPad and camera. We walked on the ship at 7pm. Our bags were at our door. We cleaned up and grabbed a quick dinner before muster. It was one of our favorite days of the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We've never made an effort to be early or late. It mostly depends on the port(whether we fly into the port city, or fly into a nearby city and transfer to the port) and which flights times are most practical for us and the cheapest. We've been among the first 500 or so to board and among the last 50 or so to board. I don't remember there being a huge difference in lines, except for the time we boarded at 3:45, when there were NO lines, not enough difference to stick permanently in my memory and inspire me to make an effort to board at a certain time anyway. We get there when we get there, and as long as we do get there I'm good with whatever time we board.

We're going to board the Horizon in New York around 3pm, the latest option. Even though I can`t wait to get on the ship, we really also want to spend some time in NYC. Also, we`ll have four seadays, so plenty of time on the ship!

Enjoy your cruise. I'll be on her end of August. If you go this route my suggestion is to plan some last minute sightseeing close to the pier I.E. Intrepid museum. If you venture too far from pier you could hit major traffic or public transportation delays causing you to miss the ship. Personally I would plan on a 2:00 PM arrival.

Living in S. Florida there have been many times I work a half day then get on a Thurs or Friday short cruise... so I don’t usually arrive till about 2-2:30 ish... many times we are off first thing and I go to work to minimize vacation days while maximizing cruise days...

LOL, same in Los Angeles, for recent Friday to Monday cruise:

Log off at 2pm, pick up kid at school, head on down to the port, and walked straight on at about 3PM.

Coming back: we left the cabin at 8:10AM, and had planned for family to drop me off at work, but it was so quick with self-disembark that I went home first and still made it to work by 10AM.

Only problem was approving timesheets via my cell phone after 5PM Friday - that was a lot of scrolling :'):').