Menu for the Evening Meal in the Ocean View Cafe

bookitdanno

We like to eat dinner in the OVC on nights when we are not in the mood for yet another long, drawn out meal and don't want to start changing clothes.

We gather up whatever we want and if the weather is nice, take it outside to eat on the open back deck.

But even if the weather doesn't cooperate, the OVC is not crowded or noisy at night, and it is easy to find a nice quiet table by a window.

We especially like to do that when we are cruising through a scenic area, or on a moonlit starry night, as an alternative to dinner on our balcony (which we also enjoy).

For dessert, we often wind up at the ice cream station, or at Cafe Al Bacio.

Dining in the OVC was more pleasant and convenient when they used to provide trays so you could gather your meal, then sit down and eat it, without needing to keep running back and forth.

They eliminated the trays as one of the cutbacks made a few years ago.

We also miss the section of the OVC where you could sit down and be served, which was also eliminated.

Very nice. Would like to do that another time.

I think it is being repeated and reinforced because not enough people have read or understand what the issue really was/is?

:eek:

bon voyage

You have the option of not reading posts/posters you dont like, I have the option of respectfully expressing my opinion.

Crepes with bunch of fillings and toppings. Blueberries, strawberries, bananas, nutella, vanilla custard/pastry cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, I'm sure I'm missing a few things. YUM

Be still, my heart<3<3<3<3

Do they also have savory fillings for the crepes a la Bistro on 5. How I miss that place.

How long ago was that? And were the other posts serious about there being a $2 charge at one point?

I have to look for this - sounds wonderfull!

I just recently realized that there is afternoon tea in the OCV, with wonderful scones and whipped cream and jam!

Yes! We like to go to tea in OCV once or twice during a cruise. They put out little sandwiches and savories, pastries, cookies and scones. The whipped cream was thickened with cream cheese, not genuine clotted cream, but still good. We skip dinner on those days because we've had our fill at tea, but we may return in the evening for the salad bar. The salad cancels out the calories from all the pastries.

You have the option of not reading posts/posters you dont like, I have the option of respectfully expressing my opinion.

You sure do and I fully support your option to do so.

bon voyage

As someone who has not sailed Celebrity in the past 6 years, maybe things have changed to the positive between now and your lousy experience then??? Just saying.

Quite happily sailing on Cunard now days!, but still scan the P&O, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity threads as a matter of interest.

You sure do and I fully support your option to do so.

bon voyage

Bo: I do agree with your comments. But I do tire of continual negative posts on basically the same subject. Many people have different opinions and likes. I believe the cruise offers something for everyone. If one does not like it don't cruise and go quietly away. With ships being filled some people must enjoy their experience. I doubt that the naysayers are having much impact. Most of the people we have met on X are repeats with positive attitudes. Maybe some people do not like people having a good experience.

Is it possible to know ahead of time what will be on the menu for the OVC for Dinner?

Are there certain stations that are always available and others that rotate?

Have always eaten in MDR, but would like to at least explore the possibility of using the OVC as an alternative.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

George

On the Eclipse, in the OVC, there was a wonderful Maitre d' who made it very clear, if you would like something , to tell him the night before and he would try and make it. That applied to fresh salmon, sea bass, trout. If you didnt see it, just to let him know the night before.

Really the food was amazing. I cant stress it enough.

A while back someone also posted wonderful pictures of all the Lunch time specialties. Lunch was definitely an extravaganza most days. So much choice. One of my favorites was all the grilled vegetable skewers, just so delicious. The only down side is the weight gain.

We remember when you could reserve a table at the buffet area on certain nights..table cloths, served meal by trainees. .it was great. Less dressy than MDR, quicker service and very nice. Bringing that back could help with training of dining staff...much needed these days!

This is a great suggestion!

The sushi is nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't seen Sushi in the OVC since Sushi on 5 opened - is it back (Not that i'm that bothered Sushi is my least favourite Asian cuisine by a mile - Thai or Indian on 5 would have my money for the whole cruise :D )

On the Eclipse, in the OVC, there was a wonderful Maitre d' who made it very clear, if you would like something , to tell him the night before and he would try and make it. That applied to fresh salmon, sea bass, trout. If you didnt see it, just to let him know the night before.

Really the food was amazing. I cant stress it enough.

A while back someone also posted wonderful pictures of all the Lunch time specialties. Lunch was definitely an extravaganza most days. So much choice. One of my favorites was all the grilled vegetable skewers, just so delicious. The only down side is the weight gain.

Some of us folks who've never been on Celebrity need to hear the other side of the story or we may book without knowing some of these criticisms. If you weren't onto something there wouldn't be so much defensiveness. We're turning more loyal to Royal but keep hearing how the food is better on Celebrity. I'll keep the Windjammer and Johnny Rockets, thank you very much. At least Celebrity's buffet is done right.

We remember when you could reserve a table at the buffet area on certain nights..table cloths, served meal by trainees. .it was great. Less dressy than MDR, quicker service and very nice. Bringing that back could help with training of dining staff...much needed these days!

I wonder if one could order up a table cloth for OVC in advance and early on in the sailing to start a trend??

I will do this on my next sailing in August to see how it goes...

bon voyage

I wonder if one could order up a table cloth for OVC in advance and early on in the sailing to start a trend??

I will do this on my next sailing in August to see how it goes...

bon voyage

Maybe some don't like the atmosphere in the MDR and could have a section of the buffet converted off for alternative MDR seating, and you grab your own drinks and deserts.

A movement in the offing on X. I believe if many of us do this on each sailing that someone in 'upper management' may come to the 'new' idea of offering it again...

Given inflation, even at $5 or $10 p/p for this type of service in OVC would be worth it for a quite low-keyed, semi-formal type of service there. Just my thoughts and take...

bon voyage

Maybe some don't like the atmosphere in the MDR and could have a section of the buffet converted off for alternative MDR seating, and you grab your own drinks and deserts.

I can agree with this. Yet the whole of OVC is for an alternative to the MDR and Specialty venues.

Adding table cloths and some wait staff in a small area would make it a cut above the 'normal' OVC experience in the evening and a cut below the MDR.

Sweet spot between formal and informal.. what some diners crave some evenings on X.

bon voyage

On our September 2017 cruise on the Infinity, I was not aware of the grilled to order steak/seafood area in OVC. Seeing some of the posts, we may just need to check this out on the Silhouette on our November 2018 cruise. A freshly grilled steak, glass of wine, and sitting outside under the stars sounds magical!

We ate there a few times when it was a struggle to get our preteen son to dress for dinner every night in the dining room back in the formal, semi formal and casual days.

It was a bonus that you were out quicker. I wonder why it no longer exists.

Can’t you let it rest. You have your opinion and I who have sailed on Celebrity have mine. Both are conflicting.

Enjoy the other cruise lines you are going to travel on. I will enjoy the transatlantic that I leave on in two days.

I find it scary that our culture today demands that opposing opinions be stifled. These forums are useless if they do not express everyone's experiences. Let readers form their own opinions. I prefer going in knowing what to expect. Some love, some hate, and most are in between.