The Last Straw on NCL? Awesome!

descal13

How good are cruise companies at recycling other materials, paper, plastic etc? Or does most of it go into the trash?

The cruise lines do recycle paper, plastic, and glass. How good are they at it? I don't know.

I was recently on RC Adventure and they also were doing away with straws. Funny thing though.... in the dining room, they served us little butter pats in the individual plastic cups instead of having the unwrapped butter in the butter dishes like they had in the past. They get rid of straws because of the plastic but go ahead and add butter being served in plastic. Go figure....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Plastic straws can't be recycled and they don't biodegrade. They end up in the oceans and cause serious harm to sealife. I have been using reusable straws for awhile now. Takes getting use to and reminding restaurants and such that I don't need a straw but it has worked well for me. I am glad that more companies are moving towards eliminating plastic straws. I actually found a company on Kickstarter that is developing a "foldable" straw that you can attach to your key chain so you always have it with you. I've just told the people I am cruising with this fall to plan ahead and order their reusable straws before we embark on the cruise.

Too expensive for NCL to replace. Don't you people see it? They want to ultimately pass on the cost of straws to you, the consumerist. It's all about the money and PR.

The point I'm making is that we can be proactive in regards to dealing with large corporations finally making a stand regarding ocean debris. We are one or two people on board a ship that has 3000+ people on it. Multiply that by a hundred thousand people who travel on ships all over the world EVERY week. It matters that we try to reduce ocean debris.

I don't care if you see it as dumping the cost onto us or even if that is all they are doing. Why are we waiting for someone else to make the decision for us? The bottom line is that it matters. If you enjoy cruising on our oceans you have a choice, find an alternative or continue to rail against the decision because you perceive it as a service reduction without financial compensation.

If cruise companies stop giving us straws they will find us alternatives or we can do it ourselves. Is that such a paradigm shift that your life will be altered forever? I bring lots of stuff with me that is available on board like hair products, etc. Composting straws isn't that much of a big deal to me.

everyone on here should see the movie "Blue the film" it is a documentary about our oceans from different areas of the globe and the effect on plastic and garbage. If after seeing this movie you still use a plastic straw, plastic bag and dont try to reduce your usage I am not sure there is hope for you. Dont mean to sound preachy but just try and watch the movie. It is very limited release ( not sure why) but it as so well done.

Can't drink without a straw? Ha! Suck it up ...:D[emoji3] (I do HATE that expression!

One can bring as many plastic straws on a cruise as they desire. That is what I am going to do. I don’t know why this is such a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We really need to focus our efforts on things much more significant than straws. How about all the plastic utensils, cups, etc.?

Straws on average weigh so little — about one sixty-seventh of an ounce or .42 grams — that all those billions of straws add up to only about 2,000 tons of the nearly 9 million tons of plastic waste that yearly hits the waters.

Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-bc-us-sci--science-says-plastics-pollution-20180420-story.html

We really need to focus our efforts on things much more significant than straws. How about all the plastic utensils, cups, etc.?

Straws on average weigh so little — about one sixty-seventh of an ounce or .42 grams — that all those billions of straws add up to only about 2,000 tons of the nearly 9 million tons of plastic waste that yearly hits the waters.

Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-bc-us-sci--science-says-plastics-pollution-20180420-story.html

100 percent agree that all plastic is a huge problem, but as you said straws weigh almost nothing and hence tend to blow overboard where they are eaten by marine animals and seabirds . Plastic plates dont tend to blow overboard on the ships.

Pretty sure all of the boats leaking fuel and other petrol products into the water create more toxins in the water than a plastic straw but go ahead and praise the removal of straws while they continue to serve drinks in plastic cups as an environmental break thru.

Plastic cups can be recycled not straws. Hope you never take a cruise, fly in a plane or drive a car.

Life is about making choices and picking your battles.

Can't drink without a straw? Ha! Suck it up ...:D:D (I do HATE that expression!

I was referring more to drinks like frozen drinks. But I was on the Bliss a couple weeks ago and did not miss straws for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everyone on here should see the movie "Blue the film" it is a documentary about our oceans from different areas of the globe and the effect on plastic and garbage. If after seeing this movie you still use a plastic straw, plastic bag and dont try to reduce your usage I am not sure there is hope for you. Dont mean to sound preachy but just try and watch the movie. It is very limited release ( not sure why) but it as so well done.

As long as they are around, I will use plastic anything. I just won't dump them in the ocean.

You may not dump them in the ocean directly but a lot of them wind up there. Pretty shortsighted

I do not dump them in the ocean and that's most of what I can do at my level. Now, imagine, and only imagine, if everybody would do the same thing I do. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world?

I do not dump them in the ocean and that's most of what I can do at my level. Now, imagine, and only imagine, if everybody would do the same thing I do. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world?

How is that all you can do? How about trying to reduce the amount you use ? If everyone did THAT it would make a difference . How about educating people ? How about bringing your own reusable bags when you shop? How about not saying you will continue using plastic as long as it is an option?

Take a few seconds and watch

Thanks for sharing this. I put it on my social media timeline. Everyone can help our environment by just doing a few daily things differently each day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Take a few seconds and watch

Thank you for posting this. I shared it on my social media timeline. Everyone can easily take take small daily steps to help preserve our environment.

Thanks for sharing this. I put it on my social media timeline. Everyone can help our environment by just doing a few daily things differently each day.

and THAT is how you can make a difference.

How is that all you can do? How about trying to reduce the amount you use ? If everyone did THAT it would make a difference . How about educating people ? How about bringing your own reusable bags when you shop? How about not saying you will continue using plastic as long as it is an option?

How about live and let live?

Thank you for posting this. I shared it on my social media timeline. Everyone can easily take take small daily steps to help preserve our environment.

Do you really think that people in China or India for example will do everything you ask them to do to make you feel good about yourself while they struggle in life without potable water? Yo, put your feet on the ground already. I am all for the environment, but jeez leave my plastic straws alone. They serve a great purpose on a cruise while relaxing on vacation.

Do you really think that people in China or India for example will do everything you ask them to do to make you feel good about yourself while they struggle in life without potable water? Yo, put your feet on the ground already. I am all for the environment, but jeez leave my plastic straws alone. They serve a great purpose on a cruise while relaxing on vacation.

I don’t know what people in China or India are thinking but I would hope some of them feel as I do and try in their own way to clean their part of the world.