The Last Straw on NCL? Awesome!

descal13

So they want to ban straws? Okay that's fine but before they did so they should have had alternative paper straws available across All Ships, at all bars, without having to ask. I want a straw in my mojito...paper is fine, and i dont want to have to ask or get a comment about how ncl is all of a sudden helping marine life.

This has nothing to do with the environment, it is all about money. Norwegian is limiting all cruises in cabins below suites to 2 rolls of toilet paper starting in June. Suites get 1 extra roll and the Haven gets 2 extra.

We all need to be educated!

Well done NCL! Thanks for leading the way.

Agreed! Didn't realise how difficult they are to recycle and how much damage they do to living creatures. We need to think of wildlife first otherwise there's no point booking trips to swim with turtles etc. Well done NCL!

1. Why doesn't NCL use reusable plastic cups like other cruise lines?

2. I'm fine with reusable straws, but is it practical on a cruise ship? Do you carry them in your bathing suit pocket? Is that sanitary?

I use a stainless steel straw at work, been using it for 2 years but I don't take it out of my cup until I am ready to wash it. To those of you using these on cruise ships, are you running back to your cabin to wash your straw after every drink?

2. I'm fine with reusable straws, but is it practical on a cruise ship? Do you carry them in your bathing suit pocket? Is that sanitary?

I use a stainless steel straw at work, been using it for 2 years but I don't take it out of my cup until I am ready to wash it. To those of you using these on cruise ships, are you running back to your cabin to wash your straw after every drink?

Good question, I was going to bring some straws, but I’m not sure how I’m going to carry them around.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I for one will be buying a cheap bag of disposable plastic straws to be thrown out after each one of my delicious frozen drinks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is from a recent Getaway review:

Let's talk about straws. I ordered a Miami Vice. I got it and it looked great! I asked for a straw. "Sorry sir, we don't have any straws" Nooooo, I had read people talking about this! I thought they would at least have paper straws though! What I learned throughout the week is that paper straws have been ordered, but haven't yet arrived.

This is from a recent Getaway review:

Let's talk about straws. I ordered a Miami Vice. I got it and it looked great! I asked for a straw. "Sorry sir, we don't have any straws" Nooooo, I had read people talking about this! I thought they would at least have paper straws though! What I learned throughout the week is that paper straws have been ordered, but haven't yet arrived.

I have paper straws at home and they work, to an extent. They eventually begin to disintegrate, especially with frozen beverages or anything that you drink at a slower pace.

I have no problem bringing my own reusable straw, but it just seems so impractical to carry it around the ship from deck-to-deck. I guess my girlfriend will be bringing her clutch wherever we go to hold onto them. I certainly don't want them in my pocket.

I have paper straws at home and they work, to an extent. They eventually begin to disintegrate, especially with frozen beverages or anything that you drink at a slower pace.

Why not just ask for an extra paper straw and if the first one disintegrates, then use the second one?

I have no problem bringing my own reusable straw, but it just seems so impractical to carry it around the ship from deck-to-deck. I guess my girlfriend will be bringing her clutch wherever we go to hold onto them. I certainly don't want them in my pocket.

Lol! You might want to clear your plan with her! Not sure I'd want anything in my purse someone else doesn't want in their pocket. Unless she takes the cheap/old/don't care about clutches on the cruise.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Why not just ask for an extra paper straw and if the first one disintegrates, then use the second one?

I guess I'm also not convinced the ship will even have paper straws since no one has reported that they have actually seen them.

Maybe I will buy a big bag and hawk them to other passengers for $1 each. Quick little revenue source to fund my next vacation. :')

Lol! You might want to clear your plan with her! Not sure I'd want anything in my purse someone else doesn't want in their pocket. Unless she takes the cheap/old/don't care about clutches on the cruise.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You make a fine point! I'll let you know how that conversation goes. ;)

I guess I'm also not convinced the ship will even have paper straws since no one has reported that they have actually seen them.

Maybe I will buy a big bag and hawk them to other passengers for $1 each. Quick little revenue source to fund my next vacation. :')

Well, I'm just going by what was reported on a Getaway review and that is that they said they had them on order, but they haven't been received yet.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another, I'll just drink my frozen drinks or others without a straw, as it will not be the end of the world to me if there are no straws.

In the NEWS McDonalds is going "Strawless" !

Some 37500+ stores affected - - -

Gonna have to find a different way to suck those drinks.

There are stainless steel straws on ebay -4- for less the $10 free S&H.

Includes a small brush to clean the inside of the straw.

But what do you do when you are not drinking with that stiff straw.

Apparently we just added twizzlers to our packing list. Why not? Could be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I was little, (many years ago) the soda shop on main street in Disneyland used licorice for the straws.... memorable to say the least, as I still remember this 50+ years later.:cool::cool:

I will start nipping straws from all of our land based dinning for the next few months. I should have a good supply for our next trip for my family. A soda from the bar is not the same without the straw.

I believe one of the main issues with plastic straws is that they end up in the ocean/sea. I have seen on EVERY cruise people just leaving their trash/drinks on the open decks. As we all know it can get pretty breezy out there and these light weight items find themselves overboard.

I was just told Vancouver will be getting rid of them. I also saw that Alaska Airlines will replace non-recyclable plastic straws with sustainable, marine-friendly alternatives on their flights and at their lounges starting Summer 2018.

I believe one of the main issues with plastic straws is that they end up in the ocean/sea. I have seen on EVERY cruise people just leaving their trash/drinks on the open decks. As we all know it can get pretty breezy out there and these light weight items find themselves overboard.

I was just told Vancouver will be getting rid of them. I also saw that Alaska Airlines will replace non-recyclable plastic straws with sustainable, marine-friendly alternatives on their flights and at their lounges starting Summer 2018.

Clearly you didn't read the thread. :')