The Last Straw on NCL? Awesome!

descal13

My view is that eliminating such straws does minimally aid the environment. However, what is amazing is the reaction of some on this thread, like the World was coming to an end. The reaction of some was like using a nuclear weapon to take out a sniper.

Sure, bring your own straws or whatever, but removing DSC or ordering a drink with the intent not to drink it is over the top. Next, someone will have a heart attack if there is no umbrella with the drink.

Why is NCL not looking at alternatives to plastic? Why is this a black or white issue?
According to a poster, they were told they have ordered paper straws, they just haven't come in yet.

Post #202: Not true. Just got off the Bliss. They have paper straws. Only good for about 1 drink before falling apart. They suck but its fine.

Post #205: thanks, that is exactly how I feel. As for what was told to us on the Dawn 3 weeks ago, they are going to start using paper straws, but they have not arrived yet. I am not sure what the outcry about not having plastic straws is all about. Sure, it would be nice to have them, but it is nicer to try and protect our water ways.

We could still get useful updates from those just returning from cruises.

Are those paper straws that we heard were on order actually showing up on the ships yet?

We cruise in the Getaway next weekend so I’ll let you know when we return. I just ordered silicon and metal straws on amazon. I can’t do a frozen drink without a straw but I support the efforts to limit ocean trash.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can tell you from experience , metal straws and frozen drinks are a very cold combination. I use a metal straw in my Yeti and have frozen my lips on many occasions. Also uncomfortable with hot drinks.

Just off the Getaway, no straws and no plans for paper from what I was told. We brought our own no problems.

Great cruise except for that dang Atrium!

Too crowded? Too smelly? Too dark? Inquiring minds want to know.

I can tell you from experience , metal straws and frozen drinks are a very cold combination. I use a metal straw in my Yeti and have frozen my lips on many occasions. Also uncomfortable with hot drinks.

If you are going to bring your own straw(s), bring the reusable plastic straws designed for kids. I am referring to the ones that have thick sides and are not just straight. They are intended to be cleaned and used several times. These straws run from 99¢ to $12.99 each, like these ...

61ZAgFCpPML._SX355_.jpg

12-fun-krazy-straws-4-mood-straws-reusable-or-disposable-drinking-straws-childrens-party-supplies-all-ages_22816339.jpeg

I have some good news for you. Amazon now sells silicone tips for just this problem. I had quit using my stainless straw but now that I know about these thingies, it's a new day. Ha. They also sell silicone bumpers to stop all the annoying clanging that metal straws can make (link below makes it look like they can only be used as cup inserts but they work just as well slid onto the straw itself). Here's a link to a set on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/RAINIER-Silicone-Silencers-diameter-Stainless/dp/B071HVMD4X/ref=sr_1_38_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1529981557&sr=1-38&keywords=silicone+straws

P.S. Here's another set that have the shaped tips instead: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BK1JRXM/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2_2_s_it?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3233965245922079678&pd_rd_wg=M3EsY&pf_rd_r=YZ9NC4JY7Z1SWTHW8ARF&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B07BK1JRXM&pd_rd_w=VqxT6&pf_rd_i=silicone+straws&pd_rd_r=d56bdfcd-f33c-489a-afeb-5670dd1f753d&ie=UTF8&qid=1529981912&sr=2

When I was visiting Boulder, CO I noticed that there were recyclable stiff straws (not to mention cups) that SEEMED like plastic but would biodegrade. That would work for the frozen drinks, I'm sure!

A few years ago my husband and I went to an ecological resort in Playa del Carmen. Because they had all sorts of animals on the property, straws were strictly forbidden. I did my homework and found a US company that makes biodegradable straws out of cornstarch. They look exactly like plastic straws but will biodegrade within weeks on land and less in the ocean. I took a box of 500 straws. We were the most popular people on the resort!

A few years ago my husband and I went to an ecological resort in Playa del Carmen. Because they had all sorts of animals on the property, straws were strictly forbidden. I did my homework and found a US company that makes biodegradable straws out of cornstarch. They look exactly like plastic straws but will biodegrade within weeks on land and less in the ocean. I took a box of 500 straws. We were the most popular people on the resort!

Too expensive for NCL to replace. Don't you people see it? They want to ultimately pass on the cost of straws to you, the consumerist. It's all about the money and PR.

There were no straws on the Getaway last week. I had taken a pack of plastic straws with me but I found that I enjoyed my margaritas and mojitos just fine without them.

I have some good news for you. Amazon now sells silicone tips for just this problem. I had quit using my stainless straw but now that I know about these thingies, it's a new day. Ha. They also sell silicone bumpers to stop all the annoying clanging that metal straws can make (link below makes it look like they can only be used as cup inserts but they work just as well slid onto the straw itself). Here's a link to a set on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/RAINIER-Silicone-Silencers-diameter-Stainless/dp/B071HVMD4X/ref=sr_1_38_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1529981557&sr=1-38&keywords=silicone+straws

P.S. Here's another set that have the shaped tips instead: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BK1JRXM/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2_2_s_it?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3233965245922079678&pd_rd_wg=M3EsY&pf_rd_r=YZ9NC4JY7Z1SWTHW8ARF&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B07BK1JRXM&pd_rd_w=VqxT6&pf_rd_i=silicone+straws&pd_rd_r=d56bdfcd-f33c-489a-afeb-5670dd1f753d&ie=UTF8&qid=1529981912&sr=2

Thanks for the "tip"! :')

Ordered!

Not sure if anyone posted this but Costco sells a bucket of Twizzlers which are actually designed to be straws. They're stiff and work great and are individually wrapped... we bought a container for the next cruise.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Too expensive for NCL to replace. Don't you people see it? They want to ultimately pass on the cost of straws to you, the consumerist. It's all about the money and PR.
So are you saying that every company that is eliminating plastic straws is just trying to pass on the cost of straws to their customers or is it just NCL?

So are you saying that every company that is eliminating plastic straws is just trying to pass on the cost of straws to their customers or is it just NCL?

Not going to cost me a dime by the end of the cruise. I am just going to lower my DSC by the cost of my straws I am going to have to purchase for my upcoming cruise.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, the entire city of Seattle is pushing the cost of straws on everyone else! I'll never talk the again! /s

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Guess you didn't fully understand purpose. Here ya go...

Even though the Cruise Industry continues to profit, and they pass inspections on water treatment release into the Ocean, I would still love a straw in my drink if it behooves me...

JMO clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Unfortunately, you are contributing to an environmental problem. Cruise lines and land based restaurants are eliminating this problem. Sign of the times.