The Last Straw on NCL? Awesome!

descal13

Clearly you didn't read the thread. :')

I read every single comment on THIS thread. If you're referring to the other thread about straws, then no, one thread is enough about straws. And I felt like giving my 2 cents! :p

Not true. Just got off the Bliss. They have paper straws. Only good for about 1 drink before falling apart. They suck but its fine.

Nice to sit there and sip on as you watch the smoke billow out of the top of the gigantic gas guzzling boat you are are on.

Not true. Just got off the Bliss. They have paper straws. Only good for about 1 drink before falling apart. They suck but its fine.

Nice to sit there and sip on as you watch the smoke billow out of the top of the gigantic gas guzzling boat you are are on.

Shh don't burst their bubbles. These are true environmentalists here on CC. Flying and cruising is nothing compared to these evil, selfish straw users!

Well, I'm just going by what was reported on a Getaway review and that is that they said they had them on order, but they haven't been received yet.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another, I'll just drink my frozen drinks or others without a straw, as it will not be the end of the world to me if there are no straws.

thanks, that is exactly how I feel. As for what was told to us on the Dawn 3 weeks ago, they are going to start using paper straws, but they have not arrived yet. I am not sure what the outcry about not having plastic straws is all about. Sure, it would be nice to have them, but it is nicer to try and protect our water ways.

Gas guzzling ship is not the issue on this thread. We are talking about straws. I am not sure what we can do about the gas guzzling ships, do you have an idea, one that is workable and will keep cruising at a decent price?

Thanks everyone for your straw tips. Just sent for four wide SS straws (including cleaning brush) from Amazon for our upcoming cruise. Ordered the wide straws because the description said they were good for smoothies, milkshakes and frozen drinks. That covers what I'll be drinking with my UBP!

Getting rid of plastic straws is apparently happening everywhere. While speaking to a friend last night who is from Minneapolis, she said the restaurant she went to the night before stopped giving out plastic straws and had paper ones.

As the thread starter, I posted this to be informative. I was not aware of another thread about straws, I am not sure who was first, but there are often similar posts floating around on these boards, no big deal. I am saddened at the people who behave rudely on this thread, and I am requesting future posters to maintain civility. Lastly, I am environmentalist who believes in mainting and protecting the beauty of this world. I love to travel and enjoy the pristine, crystal blue waters of Bermuda. If it turns into a toilet filled with plastic debris and dead sealife what a crime that would be. Not a nice destination for future cruises. So for those who are ripping into people like me that are relaxed and adaptive about NCL’s new straw policy, please try to take things in stride. You will be on an incredible vacation on a wonderful cruise ship going to an amazing island. No one is stopping you from bringing your own paper, plastic or reusable straws, they are plentiful and inexpensive. Enjoy your beverage and please try to post your opinion in a way that would reflect well on your upbringing.

Who wants to drink a drink without a straw? No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We don't drink those umbrella drinks, mostly wine, scotch or an occasional martini. No straws for those drinks.

http://6abc.com/business/major-food-service-company-ditches-plastic-straws-at-1000-cafes/3556893/

More companies to ban/ditches plastic straws to save the environment/sea animals.

For those that still want plastic straws would need to buy and bring it on board.

Or use a tumbler cup with straw or use a spoon to drink those frozen drinks.

We just got off the Getaway this morning and there were no straws anywhere! This was one of our top 4 complaints about the cruise. Drinking frozen drinks is incredibly hard without a straw. I would be ok with this rule if they had paper straws, but they had no straws at all. Also a bummer because we had a two and six year old who needed straws.

Just off the Sun. No straws. We were the only people that brought our own.

However, NCL DID waste tens of thousands of one time use plastic cups when they could have used reusable. I thought we cared about the environment?

He-he. ;)

After all of these posts (and we know someone at NCL is checking this forum) I'm surprised that NCL hasn't come out and stated what their new policy is.

Perhaps they still trying to find a decent paper straw substitute?

Didn't someone who was on one of the Away ships say that they were told that paper straws were on order, but they hadn't come in yet? And I thought someone from another ship, posted they had paper straws onboard the ship. If they are going to go with paper straws, I'm not sure that would be considered a new policy or a change of policy, as they would still have straws.

Didn't someone who was on one of the Away ships say that they were told that paper straws were on order, but they hadn't come in yet? And I thought someone from another ship, posted they had paper straws onboard the ship. If they are going to go with paper straws, I'm not sure that would be considered a new policy or a change of policy, as they would still have straws.

That would be great if they can make paper straws available for those who request them. However, if they aren't making an attempt to replace the straws I think they should make a statement about it so that the bartenders and waiters will not have to deal with the questions and complaints.

That would be great if they can make paper straws available for those who request them. However, if they aren't making an attempt to replace the straws I think they should make a statement about it so that the bartenders and waiters will not have to deal with the questions and complaints.
Yes, but one poster said they replaced them with paper straws and the other said paper straws were on order, so it seems like they are making an attempt, at least on two ships.

• 2 weeks later...

just back from Bliss, I survived with no straw!

no paper straws anywhere. I learned on that cruise how much I really enjoy and miss having straws in my mudslides, cocktails, margaritas and mojitos. At the same time in the big scheme of vacation fun this was a minor annoyance.

I would ask for an umbrella or one of those wood sticks by the bar to mix my drinks if additional mixing was needed.

I had read that some cruise lines had gone to only giving straws upon request which is what I was expecting when asking for one with my first BBC of my 10 day Med on the Star and to my dismay they said they didn't have any straws at all. Had I known this I would have brought my own because it is no fun drinking a blender drink without one. Every time you tip the glass it hits you in the face. I had to ask for a spoon :) I get wanting to be environmentally sound but then every drink you get on the pool deck is in a plastic cup so there's that.