One thing you wish you’d packed?

Over the door shoe organizers will be a life saver with lil ones. Used magnetic clips to dry swimsuits. I also would pack 4 if the same bright colored cheap pool towels. We used them on the islands bc it would always make our sun chairs easier to find amidst the sea of white cruise towels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I buy a Yankee Candle paperboard Car Jar for the bathroom. There isn't an exhaust fan. I also bring battery powered tea lights to use as night lights. We just use large trash bags as a clothes hamper, if there are damp suits, etc. the last day, they won't get anything that's still clean all wet. We also like to take our Bose speaker, it's nice to have some music in our cabin. Several two gallon size ziptop bags are nice to pack liquids in.

We are finally under a month to our first family cruise (with kids age 3 & 5), and starting to gather and buy some of the things we don’t already have for the trip (water shoes for kids, travel size essentials, etc.) I have a good sense of what to pack, but curious about what might not be so obvious.

What is one thing you wish you had packed on your first cruise? It’s the Oasis Western itinerary if it makes a difference. Thanks for any input!

If you wear glasses - your"old" pair and a glass repair kit. A few clothes hangers(plastic) and clothes pegs . A small bottle laundry detergent(2 ozs) and half a bar of laundry soap. Sunlight makes it.

We slide our hard side suitcases under the bed in the open position. They can then be used to put dirty clothes in. No need to pack a hamper, and it saves baggage weight.

s

We do the exact same thing with dirty laundry----I cannot imagine wanting to give up room or luggage space for a hamper (I sit at the desk often, so underneath it would drive me batty)---it seems to work well for others though, but totally isn't for me.

I agree with the PP who said spare glasses or eyeglass repair kit.

If you wear glasses - your"old" pair and a glass repair kit. A few clothes hangers(plastic) and clothes pegs . A small bottle laundry detergent(2 ozs) and half a bar of laundry soap. Sunlight makes it.

I agree - extra pair of glasses (if you depend on them) as you can't get repaired on board.

I wouldn't take hangers - cabins have plenty and steward will always bring more.

It may just be me, but I will be taking 2 brand new cheap pillows, still in their air extracted packaging so they wont take up too much room. Last time I cruised (the first time) the pillows were revolting and I finished up using a rolled up fleece jacket instead. As I said, it may be me, I am a little particular about pillows.

My kids are boys so we packed a handful of matchbox cars, a ziplock of legos, spray bottles to play in the water and some small beach toys. Also drawstring bags for the kids. I’m mean and make people including kids carry their own stuff [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am trying something new on my next cruise in a couple of weeks. I like to take a selection of jewellery, including earrings and tend to put them in little bags but still find it a pain to find a pair. I have bought one of those daily pill dispensers (the ones “old people” use so they don’t forget). One or two pairs should fit each section nicely.

• Highliter to mark up the cruise compass
  • Klymit Static V air mattress - the beds are too hard and uncomfy for me
  • Pringles potato chips - they are in a canister so they store well, and there are times I need something crunchy to munch on in the cabin.
  • Travel size Tide detergent to wash out bathing suits/ febreeze fabric refresher
  • Full medicine bag including a Z-pak if needed
  • Travel size sewing kit including safety pins
  • Water shoes
  • Mini-binoculars

Magnetic hooks for the cabin walls to put my jacket and hats on.

Clear shoe hanging bag to put all our toiletries in. So much easier than digging around in a suitcase bag, when items are needed.

Lanyard, because too often I don't have pockets and I don't want to carry a purse everywhere I go.

I always bring the magnetic hooks. Great for bathing suits

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am trying something new on my next cruise in a couple of weeks. I like to take a selection of jewellery, including earrings and tend to put them in little bags but still find it a pain to find a pair. I have bought one of those daily pill dispensers (the ones “old people” use so they don’t forget). One or two pairs should fit each section nicely.

Th at's a great idea. Thanks.

Lots of great suggestions. I will add 2 things to the list. We bring glow sticks from the Dollar store. I buy the bracelet size and and give DS one of these per night to hold in bed, so that he isn't as unsettled by the darkness of the cabin. I also buy the ones that are slightly larger and put one in the bathroom sink each night as it makes enough light to see without having to turn on any lights. Glow sticks are waterproof, so if DS needs something to help him settle down in the evening I will give him a glow stick and put him in the shower in the dark. He loves glow in the dark showers.

Also, there are no cups with lids or special kids cups in the MDR. The water goblets are large, heavy, and usually very slick from condensation. I take a pack of Take & Toss straw cups (both Amazon & Walmart sell them). I use these because they are cheap so I don't worry about leaving them behind, but they are also sturdy enough to wash and reuse.

I always bring a pop up hamper when I travel with my kids - it gives them a place to put their dirties and helped us stay organized.
No need for this. Just open a suitcase in the bottom of the closet /toss in dirty clothes. When it's full, zip it up, and you're partially packed for the trip home.

is there enough room under the bed for the suitcases?
Obviously, it depends upon the size of your suitcase. If your suitcase almost fits, open it /store it under the bed open -- this gives you a few extra inches.

Ibuprofen' date=' because aspirin doesn’t work on an extremely painful tooth ache.[/quote']Expanding this thought, take any OTC meds that you typically use at home. You don't want to go to the medical facilities onboard (unless you're really sick), and IF you can find meds on the ship /on the islands, they'll cost a fortune. I like to divide the pills up into a pill divider /label with divider with a Sharpie saying, "Sudafed 2 every 4", etc.

Take first-aid items too. Bandaids with Neosporin will cut down on items to carry.

I start a list and everytime I think of something or sometimes when I use something, I write it down. Don't know how many times, I forgotten my daily meds.
Yes to a list. After our second cruise, on the drive home we made a list of the things we'd actually used. Today I still use that list; it's laminated and stored in my travel stuff. Sometimes we add specific items for excursions, but it's really helped us stop over-packing.

As for meds, take a few extra days' worth. You aren't likely to be delayed /return home late, but a few pills take up no space -- yet could be so important.

I pack a magnetic sign for the door. It makes the cabin easier to find.
Yes, we like having something special on our door. Once a lady told me in the hallway she'd been using my door decoration too; that is, she said, "We never thought about putting something on our door, but our small son has been finding our room by saying to himself, 'We are two doors past the fish door.' " She said she intended to have something on her own door next time.

Personally, I prefer the putty stuff that teachers use to hang classroom posters over magnetic signs, but either will work.

Plastic luggage tag covers like these (be sure they are specific to Royal Caribbean):
A couple years ago I received a small laminator as a Christmas gift (very handy thing to have), so I laminate my own tags.
Lots of great suggestions. I will add 2 things to the list. We bring glow sticks from the Dollar store. I buy the bracelet size and and give DS one of these per night to hold in bed, so that he isn't as unsettled by the darkness of the cabin. I also buy the ones that are slightly larger and put one in the bathroom sink each night as it makes enough light to see without having to turn on any lights. Glow sticks are waterproof, so if DS needs something to help him settle down in the evening I will give him a glow stick and put him in the shower in the dark. He loves glow in the dark showers.
Yes, I did this when my kids were small. I also used to do it when I took scouts on camping trips. A glow stick is just enough light to keep the darkness at bay -- but not so much to keep people awake.

If you need more light, drop the glow stick into a wine glass full of water, and it'll be magnified.

Other things I suggest:

- About a month before a cruise, I start monitoring the quantity of toiletries in our regular-sized bottles. I put them away /open new ones for the house when they have a week's worth (or two weeks' worth, if we're doing a BTB) of product left. Instead of tiny travel-sizes, which can run out before the end of the week, I bring those 2/3 gone bottles, and they're "just right" for the cruise. They take up more space in our bags, which is good because we never seem to pack as nicely for the trip home. On the last day of the cruise, we abandon all our toiletries in the bathroom (the last morning of a cruise is always hurried). We even bring our old toothbrushes /open up new ones for home use.

- For every island /every excursion, I make up an envelope. Inside I place whatever cash money we anticipate using -- including money for a taxi, if necessary, and a tip for the excursion provider. On the outside I write the excursion's name, date, provider, meeting spot, and contact information. This means that on the morning of an excursion, I don't have to stop and consider how much money to take out of my wallet, nor do I have to ask myself, "How much of the money in my wallet should I hold onto for Thursday's excursion?"

My sister-in-law goes a step further: She uses a small ziplock bag, and she puts a few bandaids and a small hand sanitizer in every island day bag.

- In general, pack much less than you expect to need. You really don't need much on a cruise.