One thing you wish you’d packed?

- In general, pack much less than you expect to need. You really don't need much on a cruise.

Agree! I try this each time! Although, Alaska packing is challenging!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I completely agree with this. We leave for Alaska next month and I feel like I need to start packing now to make sure we have enough layers etc. not the typical shorts and bathing suits I’m use to packing. [emoji4]

The first cruise I took my boys on, they were 10 &14 (so much older than yours). We embarked on Easter Sunday, so the Easter Bunny made an appearance while we were eating breakfast at the hotel since we flew in a day before. We had little baskets with swim goggles, dive sticks, and other small pool toys. They were great because the boys could swim for hours without their eyes bothering them and because of the dive sticks, they made friends with other kids on the cruise who wanted to join them. Your kids are much younger, so I'm not sure if they like swimming as much as my boys did (heck my youngest is now a year-round swimmer and about to try out for the University of Kentucky swim team!).

Make sure you sign your kids up for the kids club. Take them to the meeting that first night to get to know the counselors and other kids. My 10yo (now 18) LOVED the kids club. If we hadn't had the rule that he join us for excursions and dinner each night, he would have spent the entire cruise in the kids club. He was old enough that he could have sign out privileges, but he also had a walkie talkie that had texting, so he could text us when he was signing himself out - that was the rule and he had to let us know where he was going and there was no going in anyone else's cabin. You don't have to worry about any of that though.

Also, when you schedule excursions, make them only 1/2 day excursions at the longest. You've got young ones and they will lose attention quickly...heck mine did even at 10 & 14! I was able to schedule some fun independent excursions and about the time the kids started getting bored, we were back at the ship and they could go to the kids club, teen club, or to the pool. Worked great and never heard "Mom, I'm bored!"

Enjoy your cruise - that's the most important thing!

Yes to a list. After our second cruise, on the drive home we made a list of the things we'd actually used. Today I still use that list; it's laminated and stored in my travel stuff. Sometimes we add specific items for excursions, but it's really helped us stop over-packing.

If you have an iDevice, the Notes app is good for this. I have family packing lists set up as check-off lists for different trips (weekend, beach, cruise...) shared with attendees. Easy to add or remove items as needed. I just uncheck everything before we start packing, and everyone checks off their items as they are packed. It is easy to see what remains to be done. No "Where did I put my list?" or issues seeing what remains to be done.

I am trying something new on my next cruise in a couple of weeks. I like to take a selection of jewellery, including earrings and tend to put them in little bags but still find it a pain to find a pair. I have bought one of those daily pill dispensers (the ones “old people” use so they don’t forget). One or two pairs should fit each section nicely.

I’ve been doing this with my jewelry for years! It’s one of my best tips!

Mamacruises, I get my Business Cards through Vista Print.

Just buy the blank Avery business cards and print at home. We do this also it's much easier when you want to swap info with people.

I always take binoculars and if you have 2-3 kids take enough for all of them, saves arguments.

Garbage bags for dirty clothes is good. But for going/returning packing I bought some roll up vacuum bags at REI. I use them to cut down on space going and returning. However, be careful as they will cut down on volume but not weight, so you can easily go overweight in a bag.

We also take the Blue Tooth speaker and I can pair it with my IPhone and Sirius satellite app.

Since we are a little older and don't normally travel with kids or grandkids. I have a small photo frame that has photographs of all of them. Before I retired and traveled for work I always put it out in the hotel room. Now, we take it when DW and I travel. It just makes the temporary lodging seem homier.

Portable nebulizer

We got the flu on our last trip and I needed a nebulizer (hadn't needed it for 2 years.) The doctor bill was $426 for the two visits. I bought a portable one to have on hand.

Different climates and different allergens. If you are prone to having a breathing problem, it is a good thing to carry.

Double sided packing cubes (made by Eagle Creek). Pack the clean stuff on one side, then as you wear it, move it over to the dirty side.

The cubes pack up nice and easy (like Tetris in your suitcase), and all you have to do when you get home is unzip and dump into the laundry basket. Eagle Creek Pack It Clean Dirty Cube , Black, Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F9S8FZA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_E9r1AbXKCARNQ

Wine bottle stopper (I use Rabbit brand)

Starbucks Via

Packable tote (folds small enough to fit into its own pocket) - which I use for the pool/beach and also for extra carry-on if I buy too much on vacation. :)

- For every island /every excursion, I make up an envelope. Inside I place whatever cash money we anticipate using -- including money for a taxi, if necessary, and a tip for the excursion provider. On the outside I write the excursion's name, date, provider, meeting spot, and contact information. This means that on the morning of an excursion, I don't have to stop and consider how much money to take out of my wallet, nor do I have to ask myself, "How much of the money in my wallet should I hold onto for Thursday's excursion?"

I do this as well, even breaking it down into “food at the airport money”, “porter money”, etc.

Gives me much more of a piece of mind that I can spend my “spending money” on what I want.

Not allowed but if you put a luggage tag on it, they'll deliver it to your cabin. If it doesn't get there, it's no big loss to you. I've seen it on every single RC cruise. Much stricter with the booze. You'll get caught and sent to the naughty room if you try smuggling booze on board.

1. Small liquid hand soap bottle (Softsoap, Dial, etc). Someone posted a picture from their cabin with a bottle of hand soap and I thought, "Why didn't I think of that?!" I brought one on my last cruise and it was just so great to have. So much better than using the little bar of "face soap" or whatever it is they give you. It just ends up being kind of gross sitting there.

2. Clorox wipes. I've read that the travel packs don't have the same types of cleaners in them that those in the plastic tubs do. I wrapped them up in a piece of foil and put them in a Ziploc bag. I use them on light switches, the phone in the cabin (the appearance of the wipe after wiping off the phone in the cabin was a little shocking - they must not do that...often), balcony railing, door handles, etc.

3. Garbage bags. These are great for dirty clothes or bathing suits. If you want to be in the pool your last sea day, your swimsuit may not dry completely before you have to set your bag out for the night. The garbage bag is useful for transporting those home in your luggage.

4. Ziploc bags. I find I use these for everything from making sure that toiletries don't spill in my bags, to carrying sunscreen, etc. when in port.

5. Binoculars. These aren't a must, but can be sort of fun when trying to look at objects you see in the distance from your balcony. Forgot them last time!

6. Luggage tag holders. I think there have been discussions on these in the past, but you can get them from Amazon. They are pretty great for your cruise tags they give you. They are plastic and attached with a wire. You can use them over and over again rather than creatively taping the tags to your luggage and hoping for the best. We used two on each bag, so if one got torn off somehow, we still had another one on the bag.

7. OTC medications you like to use, and for me, I like the Band-Aid blister block. Sounds strange, but I find that walking around in the ports in extreme temperatures, my feet swell and my flip flops can dig in, or really whatever shoes I'm wearing. That stuff really helps prevent blisters from that!

8. Downy wrinkle release. I don't know about you, but when I unpack my clothes, they are pretty wrinkled. With no iron, this stuff is always so helpful and smells nice too!

9. Wire hangers - We bring a whole bunch of wire hangers. They don't take up much space and they are so helpful. For us, they don't provide nearly enough hangers. They will bring you more, but they are large and take up a lot of space. I like the wire hangers because they stretch out my clothes less, (the RC hangers are big, wood hangers), and you end up with a lot more hanging space.

10. Waterproof or resistant jacket or poncho. We usually do jackets. Even if you don't use them, I think they are a nice option to have.

Hope this helps!

This is their policy.

a4f6a0f1fd4bb9d8c88d08a76ed65976.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A question regarding this... how do I transport these two bottles? Do I just carry them in hand? Should I place them in my carry on, or in my luggage?

I think I would feel weird just holding them, but if that’s what everyone does...

Harmony 06/02/18

A question regarding this... how do I transport these two bottles? Do I just carry them in hand? Should I place them in my carry on, or in my luggage?

I think I would feel weird just holding them, but if that’s what everyone does...

Harmony 06/02/18

I’m pretty sure you keep them in your carry-on. Hope someone can confirm this.