A few Deluxe Drink Package questions!

We've never purchased a drink package, but considering it for an upcoming cruise. (This is assuming RC will allow me to just purchase the non-alcoholic package since I don't drink alcohol.)

1. It's currently at $53 a day. Does the price online fluctuate?? What's the lowest it gets and is it random and I just need to keep checking it?

2. Is everything (other than the fancy drinks in the souvenir cups or pineapples) still included on CocoCay?

3. Tip is included in the price we pay, correct? So we only pay the per day amount, that's it?

4. Has anyone done the math to figure out about how many drinks you need to have to break even? Generally speaking, with tip, what are the prices on beer, frozen drinks, etc?

Thank you!!

Price fluctuates, keep checking.

Drinks up to the package limit are included on Coco Cay and Labadee.

Tip will be added to the price when you check-out.

Beers run $6.5 to $8.5. Frozen drinks will be $12-$13 (whatever the package limit is on your sailing).

Thanks for the quick reply!

So when I purchase the package and check out, 18% is added to that price and that covers all drink tips?

$12 - 13 for a drink?! Yikes.

Thanks again!!

Yes and yes and you're welcome.:)

Remember that the Deluxe package also includes many non-alcoholic drinks. I drink enough of those that I would by the Refreshment package. For me then, the calculation is whether I will drink enough booze to cover the difference in price between the two packages, between 3 & 4 drinks covers it.

This is a good way to think of it. I’ve never heard anyone explain it this way, it’s usually people giving a list of “I drink bottled water, coffee and orange juice too, so about 5-6 drinks covers the deluxe package price.” Which doesn’t actually add up to me.

But if you separate it into “Refreshment package is $18 on sale, that is 4-6 coffees and waters, deluxe is $42 on sale (for my cruise anyway), for a difference in price of $24 to add the alcohol, which is 1.8 piña coladas or 3 beers per day,” now that makes a lot more sense. $24 a day for alcohol doesn’t seem nearly as outrageous as $42, Royal should start advertising it that way, “For only $24 more dollars you can add unlimited alcohol bla bla bla.” Thanks!

I’m still only buying the refreshment, but I can definitely see the value in upgrading to deluxe for someone who knows they will drink 2-3 alcoholic beverages a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While we have a drink package question, I have a side question. If I get the soda package, will that include say seltzer and lime from the bar? I know the freestyle machine has flavored seltzers but will it be included at the bar? Next, can I purchase a shot of rum and pour it in the seltzer and lime? Or, another example, rum and coke, the coke is included in the package, and can you just pay for the shot?

Also, as discussed in the sugar free/lower carb drink discussion, is there any reason you couldn't add flavored powder to turn that seltzer with lime and rum into a mojito or whatever?

While we have a drink package question, I have a side question. If I get the soda package, will that include say seltzer and lime from the bar? I know the freestyle machine has flavored seltzers but will it be included at the bar? Next, can I purchase a shot of rum and pour it in the seltzer and lime? Or, another example, rum and coke, the coke is included in the package, and can you just pay for the shot?

Also, as discussed in the sugar free/lower carb drink discussion, is there any reason you couldn't add flavored powder to turn that seltzer with lime and rum into a mojito or whatever?

Yes, you can purchase a shot. I believe they are around $9 plus 18%. The soda package would include soda water and tonic water.

Yes, you can purchase a shot. I believe they are around $9 plus 18%. The soda package would include soda water and tonic water.

Thanks. It looks like $7-9, plus grats. I just have never poured a shot into a soda like that, though I guess the bartender has no reason to care.

Mixed drinks include the alcohol and the mix. You don’t pay separate for each. You will get more choices in the Freestyle machines than at the bars, but if want just a plain seltzer and lime, just order that at the bar. Example, Rum, Seltzer with limes. It’s no cost difference if you just order a shot separate. Then you could add your powder.

Mixed drinks include the alcohol and the mix. You don’t pay separate for each. You will get more choices in the Freestyle machines than at the bars, but if want just a plain seltzer and lime, just order that at the bar. Example, Rum, Seltzer with limes. It’s no cost difference if you just order a shot separate. Then you could add your powder.

Okay, I think I'm understanding. A rum and coke costs the same as a shot of rum? I have done the deluxe package once before but never paid attention to what things cost without the package. It would seem a lot easier to just make one transaction than processing the free soda and then the paid for alcohol. Sorry if I'm being confusing!

Okay, I think I'm understanding. A rum and coke costs the same as a shot of rum? I have done the deluxe package once before but never paid attention to what things cost without the package. It would seem a lot easier to just make one transaction than processing the free soda and then the paid for alcohol. Sorry if I'm being confusing!

It’s ok, I wasn’t sure I was explaining very well. But I do like the flavored seltzer’s in the Freestyle machine, so you could definitely get a shot if you wanted to use those.

We've never purchased a drink package, but considering it for an upcoming cruise. (This is assuming RC will allow me to just purchase the non-alcoholic package since I don't drink alcohol.)

People have had success with one person purchasing the Deluxe package and the other person buying the refreshment package...if you call in to RCCI and not go through the website.

4. Has anyone done the math to figure out about how many drinks you need to have to break even? Generally speaking, with tip, what are the prices on beer, frozen drinks, etc?

Thank you!!

Scroll down on the first page of this thread...someone has put together a beverage calculator spreadsheet to determine if the package is worth it for you. Just input the amount of each drink you anticipate for each day, and how much you paid for the package (it also allows for you to put in if one person has the refreshment and one the deluxe package).

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2625801

People have had success with one person purchasing the Deluxe package and the other person buying the refreshment package...if you call in to RCCI and not go through the website.

Scroll down on the first page of this thread...someone has put together a beverage calculator spreadsheet to determine if the package is worth it for you. Just input the amount of each drink you anticipate for each day, and how much you paid for the package (it also allows for you to put in if one person has the refreshment and one the deluxe package).

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2625801

Onboard Harmony last week, they were requiring all over 21 in same cabin to have the drink package if one had it. There might have been exceptions onboard but we never witnessed it.

Onboard Harmony last week, they were requiring all over 21 in same cabin to have the drink package if one had it. There might have been exceptions onboard but we never witnessed it.

I am not sure what the onboard purchasing experience has been like, I have not seen much on these boards. But pre-cruise, many people...including a number of people in our group for our Allure sailing in a week, have had success calling into RCCI and getting the refreshment package (the one that includes specialty coffee and juice) for one adult in the cabin while the other adult gets the deluxe beverage package. This cannot be done online. You must call, and if you get told no, call back a little later and get a different representative and it more than likely will work. At least that is what is being reported on these boards (everybody in our group didn't have any problems setting it up this way the first time they called).

I am not sure what the onboard purchasing experience has been like, I have not seen much on these boards. But pre-cruise, many people...including a number of people in our group for our Allure sailing in a week, have had success calling into RCCI and getting the refreshment package (the one that includes specialty coffee and juice) for one adult in the cabin while the other adult gets the deluxe beverage package. This cannot be done online. You must call, and if you get told no, call back a little later and get a different representative and it more than likely will work. At least that is what is being reported on these boards (everybody in our group didn't have any problems setting it up this way the first time they called).

I agree. The reason for signing up onboard is that Diamond gets a 20% off, D+ 30%, and P 40%. The D+ and P discount onboard is typically more than any offer Royal gives online.