Has anyone ever asked for the pool music turned down?

Kurt Cobain

It's pretty simple, move away from the speakers

Quite right! But, even better, GET RID of the DJ's!! ( DJ's are for Night Clubs, not music by the pool or the Atrium for that matter) ?? I would pay an extra fee just to sail without a DJ onboard!:p:p

The LOUD NOISE (can't call it "music") was not a problem, prior to the arrival of THE "DJ" on the Lido Deck (aka Night Club disc spinner.)...?? :cool::cool::cool:

Yes! On the Breeze in January I spoke to the GS manager about it and she sent the DJ to talk to me. He assured me that the music was within the standards set by Carnival and that he had an app on his phone to measure the decibels. What a joke. It was OK until he was doing his set every day and then the music got so loud it was painful. I really feel sorry for the crew members who work on the deck because they are going to find themselves hard of hearing in the future.

Funny thing is he sent me an autographed picture of him with his girlfriend (a singer onboard) and a plate of sweets. Not sure what to call them, but they were the absolute best thing. I wish they replaced the chocolate covered strawberries with them.

Not only is the music terribly loud on deck, but if you have a cabin near the atrium on Decks 6-9 or 10 depending on the ship, the noise from those parties in the lobby is awful. It sounds like it is in your cabin.

Was on The Freedom for several weeks earlier this year. Most of the time we couldn't enjoy Lido because the music, especially the DJ's, was just completely unenjoyable. Same for the Atrium. Crazy loud and unenjoyable. Rumor had it that it was so loud a 911 call was nearly missed because Guest Services couldn't hear it. If it wasn't for a guest asking if the blinking red light was something important, who knows what might have happened.

We could have enjoyed both areas much more if the music was at a more reasonable level.

I have a noise meter app on my device, used it to make a decible level reading on the Celebrity Connie, provided it to "mgmt" and the noise level was reduced for balance of my cruise. I sent the reading to my email so I could send it to the US federal govt health department.

/quote]

I would like to know what agency you sent this information to.

I don't know of any US federal agency that would regulate or care about the music level on a cruise ship.

I wonder if OSHA has any jurisdiction for cruises that home in the USA. They can get very serious about workplace complaints and cruise ships are also workplaces as well as having 'customers'....serious question, I really don't know.

Good post....This poster when, he/she finds the music to loud, they MOVE. As opposed to many posters here who seem to think the world revolves around them.....the mindset of "well i want to hang out in this particular spot, and i want the music in the spot I am occupying at an acceptable for ME and Carnival should have to adjust to suit my needs. I shouldnt have to move if i dont want to" Self entitlement seems to run rampant these days :rolleyes:

Well that explains it. Now I know why some people have fallen overboard. They were trying to get away from very loud music and fell overboard. I guess that proves how loud it can get.

I wonder if OSHA has any jurisdiction for cruises that home in the USA. They can get very serious about workplace complaints and cruise ships are also workplaces as well as having 'customers'....serious question, I really don't know.

The workers themselves are NOT complianing

The workers themselves are NOT complianing

You know this how? There are workers present in 'noisy' areas as well, as they are ordered to be without being able to walk away from it whenever they want to like we can. Anyway it was just a thought and I really don't want to get into a pointless argument about it. I will probably regret mentioning it at all.

Good post....This poster when, he/she finds the music to loud, they MOVE. As opposed to many posters here who seem to think the world revolves around them.....the mindset of "well i want to hang out in this particular spot, and i want the music in the spot I am occupying at an acceptable for ME and Carnival should have to adjust to suit my needs. I shouldnt have to move if i dont want to" Self entitlement seems to run rampant these days :rolleyes:

I agree. There is a time and place for the fun party that Carnival offers - they are the "fun Ships" and while I don't care for public loud music of the Lido/a club/bar , I don't expect it to be turned down or altered for me. If I don't like it, I can move. One of the reasons we always get a balcony is because we cruise to relax and often don't want the fun and screaming kids of the Lido...and I LOVE kids.

I also agree with the other poster that when these parties are not underway, there is zero reason to be blaring the music to an empty deck at 8 pm. The music should always fit the mood.

If you don't want the product that Carnival offers, then you should look to a quieter cruise line - there are plenty out there. Princess is actually our favorite - the relaxing but not stuffy atmosphere suits us best. But we also cruise 1) with our teen boys and 2) for week long itineraries and you cannot beat all the options that Carnival has on both fronts.

Yes, many times on Celebrity, not on Carnival. ...

I have a noise meter app on my device, used it to make a decible level reading on the Celebrity Connie, provided it to "mgmt" and the noise level was reduced ...

Celebrity? Interesting. And the cruise lines do (must) operate within health and safety standards just like every other business, so yeah, they'd better pay attention.

Lol, I have wanted to but then a song I Iike comes on and I yell out turn it up!!

Well okay, there is that! :D

... Your ears aren't able to "get used to" noise levels. If a certain noise level doesn't seem to bother you as much as it did before, it's not because your ears have toughened up to it; it's because you've lost some of your hearing.

... Really loud sounds make the cilia in your ear lay flat. When they lay flat they don't transmit sound as well. I'd assume (I'm not a doctor) loud sounds just deaden the cilia and over a period of time the exposure to loud sounds damage the cilia causing hearing loss. Once the cilia is destroyed, that's the end of your hearing. ...

And this should answer somebody else's comment about getting into a car and noticing the music is loud. If you're coming from a quiet environment, yeah you'll notice the difference. But after the ears (cilia et al) have been beaten to death by just a few minutes of loud music, aural perception and health have definitely been impacted. A brief bout of tinnitus is the perfect clue that this has happened.

Supported by 20 years of explanations and/or treatment from at least 5 different ENT doctors, just to say.

Well said....100% agree....If I am out on the Lido deck and they start playing loud music or something i dont like. I get up and move to a quieter spot....reading these posters of walking around with noise meters and complaining to GS because THEY dont like it makes me SMH....It seems these people really believe it is only THEIR vacation and the other 3000 passengers on board are merely spectators

There definitely is a point where decibel levels become unhealthy, and then very unhealthy. That's why there are standards, rules and regulations. Some people don't realize. Some people need to be reminded. Some people need to be threatened. My buddy and I once did that to an NCO Club mid-manager who disagreed that the live music was too loud for the smallish room we were in. After just a hint of a threat that we would report it to the manager, he told the band to turn down their amps.

Rumor had it that it was so loud a 911 call was nearly missed because Guest Services couldn't hear it. If it wasn't for a guest asking if the blinking red light was something important, who knows what might have happened.

Here's a little known fact you won't see anywhere in the media. The city of Key West made Carnival turn down the music while in port after receiving several noise complaints from residents. This was sometime around 2012, maybe 2013. When people who are not even on the ship are bothered by the noise, you know it's loud! From what I remember, it was loud rap videos being played on the lido screen.

If you don't want the product that Carnival offers, then you should look to a quieter cruise line - there are plenty out there.
The "product" does not mention in the "brochure" that we are going on a cruise with a DISCO pool party!! Wow... Let's book the DISCO Cruise.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

One of the reasons we always get a balcony is because we cruise to relax and often don't want the fun and screaming kids of the Lido...and I LOVE kids.
Hmmm...I would prefer the "screamin'" kids over the Night Club DJ by the pool.....Really, who goes to a pool to dance to DISCO or RAP music?? It is a pool, not a Night Club....??? Anyone "twerk in the pool lately"? :confused::confused: (oops...bad question);p Edited by jwjax

Mkay so I have never been on a disco cruise. I love dance music so maybe I should look for one of those.

This thread is beginning to seem like beating a horse to death. BUT maybe the cruise directors do need to hear that maybe the music volumes on some ships are creeping out of hand....I remember that Royal Oasis piped music on the lido decks also seemed a little too loud on our last cruise. So I agree that there is a problem and I also agree that cruisers need to speak up in all cases where the music seems too loud according to their experiences and good judgement. Sometimes people don't want to say anything because they would just feel strange doing it, but maybe we need to push to get the word out that there are limits to how much 'fun' we can actually handle :)

I'm going to download that decibel app and just for fun, compare it to the numbers below next time i'm on Lido. Here's the decibel numbers where hearing damage can occur:

• At 91 decibels, your ears can tolerate up to two hours of exposure.
  • At 100 decibels, damage can occur with 15 minutes of exposure.
  • At 112 decibels, damage can occur with only one minute of exposure.
  • At 140 decibels, immediate nerve damage can occur.

I'm going to download that decibel app and just for fun, compare it to the numbers below next time i'm on Lido. Here's the decibel numbers where hearing damage can occur:

• At 91 decibels, your ears can tolerate up to two hours of exposure.
  • At 100 decibels, damage can occur with 15 minutes of exposure.
  • At 112 decibels, damage can occur with only one minute of exposure.
  • At 140 decibels, immediate nerve damage can occur.

I almost care.

It's the FUN ship

Turn up the music, Turn it up louder

followed by

We've got each other and that's a lot for love...... (crank it up)

WE'LL GIVE IT A SHOT

So I get the point of “get up and move” however that is kind of an apathetic attitude that I would assume the cruise line would not want “us” to have.

It is nice to read I’m not alone in my thoughts/questions.

A few years ago, Carnival consistently provided live steel drum entertainers on their ships at Lido deck. Most passengers enjoyed the Caribbean-themed music they provided, which was delivered at an enjoyable volume. Passengers enjoyed that music to get them in the mood for their Caribbean cruise! Then the cost-cutting started, and the Caribbean-vibe steel drum entertainers were replaced on deck with much cheaper DJs who think blaring what some people call music is a better alternative, even when passengers choose to get up and leave Lido deck because they find that alternative music and volume level offensive.

Many of Carnival's loyal passengers simply choose to get up and leave Lido when this occurs. Some others have chosen other cruise lines that better meet their cruising preferences. That is an individual decision we are each allowed to make when we spend our vacation dollars.

http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-dose.html

Your ears aren't able to "get used to" noise levels. If a certain noise level doesn't seem to bother you as much as it did before, it's not because your ears have toughened up to it; it's because you've lost some of your hearing.

Once you have lost hearing, it’s gone forever, never to get better.

A few years ago, Carnival consistently provided live steel drum entertainers on their ships at Lido deck. Most passengers enjoyed the Caribbean-themed music they provided, which was delivered at an enjoyable volume. Passengers enjoyed that music to get them in the mood for their Caribbean cruise! Then the cost-cutting started, and the Caribbean-vibe steel drum entertainers were replaced on deck with much cheaper DJs who think blaring what some people call music is a better alternative, even when passengers choose to get up and leave Lido deck because they find that alternative music and volume level offensive.

Many of Carnival's loyal passengers simply choose to get up and leave Lido when this occurs. Some others have chosen other cruise lines that better meet their cruising preferences. That is an individual decision we are each allowed to make when we spend our vacation dollars.

The best response so far. As I posted earlier, the lido deck is not often a place for families to enjoy like before.

When hearing is gone, it is gone. Can't be fixed. And people are arguing that LOUD music is fun? Guess it is till hearing aid time. I know lots of people with hearing aids, trust me, they don't like wearing them. They're expensive too. Hope that super loud DJ and his music is worth it.