Has anyone ever asked for the pool music turned down?

Kurt Cobain

Very difficult to find peace and quiet on a Carnival ship. Even the serenity has to have music.

I find it quite peaceful until about 3/4 through dinner when the MDR staff decide to do the Gangam Style. True serenity....;p;p

Edited by stobe1

We were on the Freedom Panama Canal partial transit in Nov of 2017. There was a group of 6 to 10 of us who met every morning around 5:30 am for coffee between the Blue Iguana Cantina and the Tequila Bar on deck 9. Every single morning (that would be 14 mornings in a row) the music began at 6:00 am and it was so loud we could not hear each other talking around the table. There were several calls made every single morning to guest services until the music was turned down to a reasonable level. Needless to say, after the second call each day, there was some rather colorful language floating over that telephone line until it got turned down.

Royal and Celebrity have something called Silent Dance Party. Everyone has a wireless headphone that they can select music from 2 or 3 different channels. Some people could be dancing to some techno and others to 60’s tunes. You can make it as loud as you like.

Wish Carnival would have something similar.

Royal and Celebrity have something called Silent Dance Party. Everyone has a wireless headphone that they can select music from 2 or 3 different channels. Some people could be dancing to some techno and others to 60’s tunes. You can make it as loud as you like.

Wish Carnival would have something similar.

Now, that would be amusing to watch...

Yes, the music was overbearing at times, but what I had a harder time with was when I needed to go to guest services. There was a live musician playing a melody on his guitar over some looped recorded music (that accompanied his efforts). It was right behind me so much so that I practically had to scream in the poor lady's ear to have her hear me, I was so close to her leaning over the counter. Poor location for that type of entertainment as far as near guest services, find for the acoustics of the atrium, but still, if it's too loud for general conversation, then that is a problem.

Also, my husband is mostly deaf in one ear and has terrible tinnitus in it, so that loud noises are literally painful for him. It hampered the enjoyment of that area. However, we overcame. We had a spot on the starboard aft deck that we frequented. That distance from the lido deck still allowed for some music to be heard, but as background noise. Much nicer.

yeah, I get ya OP.....on the victory a month ago. At times the music might have been just a couple notches too high. Then again hanging around on deck isn't usually my go to spot to hang out. Aft bar was always pretty chill, lobby bar, etc. Then if it's still too loud, well then, head back to the room and catch a nap...that's what I do ...lol

Short answer: Yes.

Longer one: Carnival wants the lido deck afternoon to be a party atmosphere.

Loud music attracts a crowd that spends more $$$ on alcohol over longer periods of time. On every warm weather day at sea on nine different ships since the big screens were introduced or installed it's no place for families to enjoy the pool. It's over 100 db (I too have a sound meter on my phone) at a constant level and with eighteen years owning a wedding and corporate DJ business experience with 5 stars on Wedding Wire and The Knot tells me it's hard to communicate even with someone close by.

The pool becomes a bawdy atmosphere where my wife and I didn't want our daughter and her friends in the pool with that mess. Buckets of beer, drinks and big crowds. It's their cruise too, so we went to the aft pool on those days. In a casual conversation with several DJ's aboard about tech gear, software, etc all of them tell me it's what Carnival wants, and with few exceptions the days of steel drums and a Caribbean theme have vanished.

If my daughter were young (she's 28 now, no problem) and the things we saw aboard the Triumph, Liberty, Valor, Freedom and Conquest as we sailed to Cozumel were to take place the aft pool would be the place to go. I'm over watching people grind on each other and use the shower as a poll dance opportunity.

For the comment about ADA and ability to hear, I lead the audio guys for a large church in Clear Lake and the requirements don't involve turning up the entire system. It can require a personal listening device, and we use one about once a month. I've read the compliance standards when we upgraded our system.

My observations, cruising since the Mardi Gras.

Edited by BallFour4

Just off the Vista and at times they turned the music up so loud at the back pool, conversation was useless. Music is great but it should be in the background unless its a concert or club and not so loud at 9am you cant converse with your friends over breakfast. They had great music in the atrium but again, it was loud enough that conversation was not possible. I couldn't wait for them to take a break so we could continue our conversation.

http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-dose.html

Your ears aren't able to "get used to" noise levels. If a certain noise level doesn't seem to bother you as much as it did before, it's not because your ears have toughened up to it; it's because you've lost some of your hearing.

Just because I'm up late after the Astros lost, here goes. You do grow accustomed to louder volumes. Think about the times you get in the car and the radio is "blaring" loud.

I took the Yamaha Audio class when my church went to digital consoles and they described the "sermon drop theory." What happens is sound operators gradually turn up levels as their ears adjust. Once a silent period happens when that input is used again it's loud. We use decibel meters to set levels or gate the levels. Bored yet? probably.

My DJ guys have the same problem at weddings. Over the duration of the reception they find the crowd wants the levels higher as the event goes on. Open bar has influence too. :)

Short answer: Yes.

Longer one: Carnival wants the lido deck afternoon to be a party atmosphere.

Loud music attracts a crowd that spends more $$$ on alcohol over longer periods of time. On every warm weather day at sea on nine different ships since the big screens were introduced or installed it's no place for families to enjoy the pool. It's over 100 db (I too have a sound meter on my phone) at a constant level and with eighteen years owning a wedding and corporate DJ business experience with 5 stars on Wedding Wire and The Knot tells me it's hard to communicate even with someone close by.

The pool becomes a bawdy atmosphere where my wife and I didn't want our daughter and her friends in the pool with that mess. Buckets of beer, drinks and big crowds. It's their cruise too, so we went to the aft pool on those days. In a casual conversation with several DJ's aboard about tech gear, software, etc all of them tell me it's what Carnival wants, and with few exceptions the days of steel drums and a Caribbean theme have vanished.

If my daughter were young (she's 28 now, no problem) and the things we saw aboard the Triumph, Liberty, Valor, Freedom and Conquest as we sailed to Cozumel were to take place the aft pool would be the place to go. I'm over watching people grind on each other and use the shower as a poll dance opportunity.

For the comment about ADA and ability to hear, I lead the audio guys for a large church in Clear Lake and the requirements don't involve turning up the entire system. It can require a personal listening device, and we use one about once a month. I've read the compliance standards when we upgraded our system.

My observations, cruising since the Mardi Gras.

Very interesting thank you for your input

Very difficult to find peace and quiet on a Carnival ship. Even the serenity has to have music.

Doesn't sound like cruising CCL (or RCCL as we find the same issue there as well) is for you. Maybe one of the quieter or more subdued cruise lines would be more appropriate. This issue has been present for our entire cruising history in different area's of many ships (CCL & RCCL).

Just another reason to get a balcony or OS, nice and quiet and after 15 yrs of cruising, we are no longer interested in people watching. There are many option's available to you if you choose to take advantage of them. ;p

I'm a music lover, and will listen to anything from Johnny Cash to Metalica. lol

But, when we were on the Magic there was some awful loud club music playing by the pool. Not my style and not too many others appreciated the crap they were playing. It was way too LOUD.

Yes, many times on Celebrity, not on Carnival.

I have a noise meter app on my device, used it to make a decible level reading on the Celebrity Connie, provided it to "mgmt" and the noise level was reduced for balance of my cruise. I sent the reading to my email so I could send it to the US federal govt health department.

The decible level is a health and safety issue.

I do not walk away - I fight back

Excellent idea. The last few cruises aboard Carnival (Paradise and Magic) the noise level from the "music" has been horrible. I've ask them numerous times to turn it down, but it just doesn't happen. Even the BIG shows have music that is unbearable. There's no excuse for this IMO.

The noise was so loud once that the Captain of our ship, issued a noise complaint (like you would do with your next door neighbor if they were having a party next door) to the port officials to ask the Carnival ship, to turn the noise down. It was obnoxiously loud.

Based on the replies, it looks like just as many are complaining about the loud music as those that want loud music. Unfortunately, the LOUDS have it and it does not look like it will ever change. It's not just the Music Decks but the theater also. It has got "crazy loud" especially with rock music which is played nearly all the time.

Remember in the olden days when people took a cruise to get away from it all. You can still do that but you have to lock yourself in your cabin and hope your neighbors are doing the same.

I really don't see a solution. All we can do is complain and complain and complain and maybe some day after the hounchos (spelling?) get their hearing aids, they may have some sympathy for their paying guests.

Excuse me, I have to go now and turn down the TV. It's a commercial!

Yes, many times on Celebrity, not on Carnival.

I have also insisted they turn down the "techno" music in the shops area.

I have a noise meter app on my device, used it to make a decible level reading on the Celebrity Connie, provided it to "mgmt" and the noise level was reduced for balance of my cruise. I sent the reading to my email so I could send it to the US federal govt health department.

The decible level is a health and safety issue.

I do not walk away - I fight back

Holy smokes--that is one righteous act-- My dad used to do that to my blaring Rock music 50-55 years ago (he also felt righteous in invoking his will against the 'Devils Music')

I'm not a partier and hate loud music, or loud anything. But I like that there's loud music sometimes on Lido. The ships are all pretty big, and I can easily find a spot, near or far, where the music is at the right level for me. And I find the music varied (in every place but the buffet, where on my last cruise I came to know what time it was at breakfast by the song). I'm as likely to stay on the ship in port as go off, and the music at the center pool is pretty mild at those times.

It's over 100 db (I too have a sound meter on my phone) at a constant level

Which by World Health Organization standards would require that their employees either wear hearing protection or limit exposure to 15 minutes out of 24 hours.