Has anyone ever asked for the pool music turned down?

Kurt Cobain

Wrong! I have had some bar waiters complain to me because they could not hear the drink orders!

Happened to us.

Worst thing we heard tho' was on a lovely morning going into Cozumel and they had the big screen blaring - The View, bunch of mouthy types doing their morning screech, totally spoiled the atmosphere. Several called someone to turn it off but no luck.

I am not sure that the loud music on some ships is as dangerous as it is annoying. Not because of the content, but rather distortion. First the sound meters on your phone are not capable of providing any meaningful readings, and can only provide invalid data to argue about. A real device to measure sound is about $ 20,000. and is seldom seen outside studios and theatrical venues.

My experience world-wide is that the sound levels need to set by an engineer, and the controls and power be locked down to prevent staff and middle management from fiddling with it. More often than not staff wants to turn the sound way down or off if it is not to their taste. If it is a favorite, they want to turn it up to silly high levels. I find that live performers request their volume be adjusted in inverse proportion to their talent.

A talent like Elton John or Lady Gaga will be mixed at a level that is enjoyable and be heard throughout the building. Talent like (insert name of garage band here) will push equipment beyond its limits and deliver highly distorted audio that is offensive to most ears.

On cruise ships there is a population of "get off my lawn" personalities that would complain about soft jazz BGM (background music) being played in the Steakhouse, and others (mostly neophyte DJ's) that feel music must be played loud, distorted, with a pfat beat four times louder than the source. You know, the bass makes waves in your beer.

If the sound content is not to your liking, you need to vote with your feet and go someplace else. I find I can be with a crowd, or alone in public spaces on board. If the sound is annoying because of an engineering problem have a word with the musical director. They are usually inclined to make the sound system perform correctly.

I am not sure that the loud music on some ships is as dangerous as it is annoying. Not because of the content, but rather distortion. First the sound meters on your phone are not capable of providing any meaningful readings, and can only provide invalid data to argue about. A real device to measure sound is about $ 20,000. and is seldom seen outside studios and theatrical venues.

My experience world-wide is that the sound levels need to set by an engineer, and the controls and power be locked down to prevent staff and middle management from fiddling with it. More often than not staff wants to turn the sound way down or off if it is not to their taste. If it is a favorite, they want to turn it up to silly high levels. I find that live performers request their volume be adjusted in inverse proportion to their talent.

A talent like Elton John or Lady Gaga will be mixed at a level that is enjoyable and be heard throughout the building. Talent like (insert name of garage band here) will push equipment beyond its limits and deliver highly distorted audio that is offensive to most ears.

On cruise ships there is a population of "get off my lawn" personalities that would complain about soft jazz BGM (background music) being played in the Steakhouse, and others (mostly neophyte DJ's) that feel music must be played loud, distorted, with a pfat beat four times louder than the source. You know, the bass makes waves in your beer.

If the sound content is not to your liking, you need to vote with your feet and go someplace else. I find I can be with a crowd, or alone in public spaces on board. If the sound is annoying because of an engineering problem have a word with the musical director. They are usually inclined to make the sound system perform correctly.

I agree with most of what you say except your conclusion. Sure, you can walk away but that is not a solution. It just means that the sound might be even louder the next day. You could just as well say that the music should turned down and those that want louder music could leave the quiet area and look for a louder location.

As for the musical director, he/she set this system up and I doubt he/she would be very receptive. In this corporate would, the customer is always right .................. some times. That is how they would look at this situation. Maybe after a couple hundred requests, it might be considered ....................... maybe.

Then however, there is always the Captain. I bet it is much quieter on the Bridge.

I agree with most of what you say except your conclusion. Sure, you can walk away but that is not a solution. It just means that the sound might be even louder the next day..

That is my thinking as well, if there is some kind of trend going on where responsible professionals are beginning to ignore their responsibilities to public safety then they need to be confronted. If cruise ships continue to get max capacities from replacement customers then they will not get the message for a long time....maybe eventually but not before major damage is done and the reputation of the whole cruise industry itself suffers a serious blow. Yes I'm probably stretching but I'm also old enough to have seen that kind of thing happen in other cases....some kind of madness creeps in here and there little by little and then before we know it the whole barrel is rotten.

We were recently on the Dream and are booked on the Magic in the fall of 2018. The music was so loud at the main pool and even the aft at times. I could barley order a drinking my ears were ringing so bad.... has anyone had this problem or am I just old. Anyone had any luck with getting them to turn it down ? Thanks

I demand you change your screen name.

I believe Ronnie Milsap is available.

:confused::confused:Huh??? Did someone say somtin' Can't hear....been on too many cruises with DJ's!!! I thought they only played at "Night Clubs" , not pool decks and Atriums?? Huh!!:confused::confused:

In defense of 'Kurt' I will suggest that 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' sounds just as good at vol 7 as it does at 9 or 10. At least it does while I still have good hearing in both of my ears.

He didn't play or sing it at 7 though

kl2S-kInogU

I must say this thread has been a fun read. Everyday there is a new complaint in here, it's always enlightening.

In defense of the complainants, This website is called "Cruisecritic".

I've been on enough cruises to know that I fall on the side of "turn the noise down". Deck party on Lido deck? Fine. Play it loud. 7:00 AM on an empty Lido deck? Turn the noise down. Mid-afternoon on Lido deck? Perhaps use some moderation.

A few years ago, Carnival consistently provided live steel drum entertainers on their ships at Lido deck. Most passengers enjoyed the Caribbean-themed music they provided, which was delivered at an enjoyable volume. Passengers enjoyed that music to get them in the mood for their Caribbean cruise! Then the cost-cutting started, and the Caribbean-vibe steel drum entertainers were replaced on deck with much cheaper DJs who think blaring what some people call music is a better alternative, even when passengers choose to get up and leave Lido deck because they find that alternative music and volume level offensive.

Many of Carnival's loyal passengers simply choose to get up and leave Lido when this occurs. Some others have chosen other cruise lines that better meet their cruising preferences. That is an individual decision we are each allowed to make when we spend our vacation dollars.

When they get up and leave are they leaving their flip flop behind to save their chairs?

I've been on enough cruises to know that I fall on the side of "turn the noise down". Deck party on Lido deck? Fine. Play it loud. 7:00 AM on an empty Lido deck? Turn the noise down. Mid-afternoon on Lido deck? Perhaps use some moderation.

Very well said. There is a suitable time and place for everything.

Again I will say that choosing another cruise line may not always work. On our last Oasis cruise the piped music playing on deck 15 was often too loud, it got to be very irritating before that cruise was over. It was not that way on our first Oasis cruise. That's why I am so insistent that we should say something when it happens. We just don't know how pervasive it may get if we don't put this kind of concern on their radar.

The Dj's could know their audiences too. Now when you take a ship, and fill it with folks who's average age is 60 plus, guess what? 99 % of us don't want to hear techno, disco or rap. We want 60's, 70's music. It makes us happy. :D

You are doing a 5 day cruise out of the south, guess what? Your audience is mostly southern, likes country, blues and dance-boot skoot and boogie.

But save the ears! And you can always ask. Now if 900 folks are all dancing to it, and it's too loud for you, head on over to somewhere else.

In regards to the libraries for quiet-recent threads are indicating that the libraries are too "dead" and they will be turning them into bars. ARGHHHH!:eek:

The Dj's could know their audiences too. Now when you take a ship, and fill it with folks who's average age is 60 plus, guess what? 99 % of us don't want to hear techno, disco or rap. We want 60's, 70's music. It makes us happy.

Even Hard Rock at reasonable levels is better than DISCO at NOON by the Pool!! It was Col. Mustard, with the Candlestick BTW...:)

You are doing a 5 day cruise out of the south, guess what? Your audience is mostly southern, likes country, blues and dance-boot skoot and boogie.
What's a boot scoot and boogie???;p Did Leonard Skynard Play it?

But save the ears! And you can always ask. Now if 900 folks are all dancing to it, and it's too loud for you, head on over to somewhere else.

If "900" folks are on the LIDO Pool deck dancing to DISCO music.....then run, don't walk to the nearest bar on the Promenade Deck..........;) On some ships 900 is half the PAX, on others at least a fourth???:)

Edited by jwjax

Happened to us.

Worst thing we heard tho' was on a lovely morning going into Cozumel and they had the big screen blaring - The View, bunch of mouthy types doing their morning screech, totally spoiled the atmosphere. Several called someone to turn it off but no luck.

And that would explain some (if not all) of the jumps overboard!

For those of you who are finding the music too loud might I suggest Holland America.

Thanks for the suggestion.... But we are having this conversation (I assume) because we enjoy Carnival.

I enjoy it even more when I can order a drink without shouting and my ears don’t ring. I want it loud not painful.