Has anyone ever asked for the pool music turned down?

Kurt Cobain

Thanks for the suggestion.... But we are having this conversation (I assume) because we enjoy Carnival.

I enjoy it even more when I can order a drink without shouting and my ears don’t ring. I want it loud not painful.

You should try the Carnival cruises we are on, I've never had the music so loud that I couldn't order a drink without shouting or that it hurt my ears.

Actually walking away is a very good solution to solve a noise problem for yourself. A person should go to find a quieter spot, problem solved. I think it also depends on the circumstances....Scenario A: Its 6 am and a group of 8 people are on the Lido deck having coffee and talking. If the music is to loud for them to converse and there is no party going on, then it wouldnt be asking to much to ask someone to turn it down

Scenario B: Its a Seaday at there are 800 people on the Lido deck, people dancing and partying and the music is loud....If 20 people think its to loud are you saying the wants of those 20 should outweigh everyone else? That is unreasonable and those 20 people should move to a place more suited for them

You are missing the point. Make the sound of the music reasonable all the time and nobody has to move. You did admit in the last paragraph that the music is loud. Actually, it is extremely loud. That's the point. It does not have to be very loud to be enjoyable unless no one is listening and you want to get their attention. Maybe that is the real problem. The DJ's want your attention so badly that regardless if you are having a conversation, eating ice cream, dancing or just walking by, you will have to stop and notice. You can tell by the replies in this post (Louds or Quiets) that it's not the Lido Deck activities that count but just the DJ's music. At least, that is what the DJ is thinking. Now all we have to do is get Carnival to consider the situation and that will not be easy.

You are missing the point. Make the sound of the music reasonable all the time and nobody has to move. You did admit in the last paragraph that the music is loud. Actually, it is extremely loud. That's the point. It does not have to be very loud to be enjoyable unless no one is listening and you want to get their attention. Maybe that is the real problem. The DJ's want your attention so badly that regardless if you are having a conversation, eating ice cream, dancing or just walking by, you will have to stop and notice. You can tell by the replies in this post (Louds or Quiets) that it's not the Lido Deck activities that count but just the DJ's music. At least, that is what the DJ is thinking. Now all we have to do is get Carnival to consider the situation and that will not be easy.

Exactly 👍🍻

1. I expect dance music to be loud and am not at all saying that it should not be.

2. When I say that the piped music on Oasis was too loud I was saying that it was blaring loud like almost distorted and even a little 'PAINFUL' sometimes, made me turn my head like something was 'wrong', broke the scene, just was not appropriate for the venue.

3. Sometimes at sail away we may have a DJ that plays Reggae, sometimes beach/60's music, sometimes more 80's rock or a good mix. I will absolutely never expect that a Reggae guy will be able to switch to smth like Lynard Skynard (lol just saying)....but then that Reggae DJ may get off at the next port and be replaced by something very different. At least that's our experience. On our first Royal cruise there was a great blues rock band, 4 guys that had their set and that was all and then they were replaced by a machine.

4. As for any other type of complaining I strictly mean that if sound levels are so loud that you just can't escape them (and yes may even be unhealthy)....like we have noticed once or twice in the ATRIUM bar and dance area and it can be heard on every inside deck up and down the ship....then maybe Carnival or any other cruise corp needs to be made conscious of what they may be doing to their paying customers ears and nerves and moods. If I found annoying music blaring out from the atrium over half of the ship on every cruise, regardless of genre, then I just may decide at some point to totally erase cruising from my list of vacation options. And I believe that a lot of others would at least move cruising further down on their list.

We were recently on the Dream and are booked on the Magic in the fall of 2018. The music was so loud at the main pool and even the aft at times. I could barley order a drinking my ears were ringing so bad.... has anyone had this problem or am I just old. Anyone had any luck with getting them to turn it down ? Thanks

I've decided that its loud because I'm old. I don't spend a lot of time there. Sometimes the music is good and loud is OK but bad music and loud is awful. :D

I've decided that its loud because I'm old. I don't spend a lot of time there. Sometimes the music is good and loud is OK but bad music and loud is awful. :D

That’s the thing to do. I don’t typically like live music in the atrium or ocean plaza. If that’s the case I just don’t go there.

It's not so much the decimal level, but the music of the typical DJ's choice. Mindless techo blaring everyone's ear drums is not conducive to relaxing on a lounger and enjoying a cold drink. At least play songs that the majority of people who've paid for their cruise to sing and sway along to. Example, in 2014, on the Breeze, I was having a drink on lido and people watching. The DJ finally relented to playing music a few people wanted. They played 3 80's songs and half the people got up from their loungers and started dancing and singing along. Then the DJ mindlessly started with the techo again, and EVERYbody was back down in their loungers......some even left. The DJs need to realize that not everyone on board is a 21 year old in the late-night dance club.

I find this same thing to be true of the night clubs. When they play a few 80's tunes, the dance floor is packed. But then they go back to techno or rap and everyone sits right back down. I thought a DJ's main job was to pack the dance floor?? I have never gotten why they don't keep with what had people up and dancing. I mean I'm all for mixing it up a bit...but you have to read your crowd!

I am not sure that the loud music on some ships is as dangerous as it is annoying. Not because of the content, but rather distortion. First the sound meters on your phone are not capable of providing any meaningful readings, and can only provide invalid data to argue about. A real device to measure sound is about $ 20,000. and is seldom seen outside studios and theatrical venues. ...

Hate to disagree, but it doesn't take anywhere near $20k these days. One might find "noise dosimeters" built to international standards like IEC 61672-1, IEC 61252:1993 and what-all (toward testing against US and EU noise standards) for a few hundred bucks. You can also find much cheaper ones (less than $100) of which at least one or two are reported to meter within 1-2% accuracy next to profe$$ional-grade equipment.

And some of those guys writing the better Android phone apps are pretty much technical geniuses (re XDA Developers etc). I found a highly rated app that reportedly gives pretty accurate max and average sound readings. I'm gonna check it out, on two different phones, and see what I get.

[ Originally posted by marshhawk

"You are doing a 5 day cruise out of the south, guess what? Your audience is mostly southern, likes country, blues and dance-boot skoot and boogie." ]

What's a boot scoot and boogie??? Did Leonard Skynard Play it?

For the record, it's boot-scootin' boogie. It's a Texas Swing kinda thing. Bob Wills, etc. Skynard is Southern Rock, but no.

Check out Asleep At the Wheel, if you dare. :cool:

But a whole plethora of Southerners do enjoy an assortment of musical genre. Like maybe some ELO, INXS, Black Sabbath, John Lee Hooker... a little Marley here and there, or even... wait for it... Deadmau5. Scooter. Just sayin', for posterity, you can't judge a book by the look, or one's place on the map. So. Moving right along.

1. I expect dance music to be loud and am not at all saying that it should not be.

... the ATRIUM bar and dance area and it can be heard on every inside deck up and down the ship....

And the stateroom hallways on Deck 6-7-8-9 are like echo chambers, especially when the music's really bad.

For the record, it's boot-scootin' boogie. It's a Texas Swing kinda thing. Bob Wills, etc. Skynard is Southern Rock, but no.

Check out Asleep At the Wheel, if you dare. :cool:

But a whole plethora of Southerners do enjoy an assortment of musical genre. Like maybe some ELO, INXS, Black Sabbath, John Lee Hooker... a little Marley here and there, or even... wait for it... Deadmau5. Scooter. Just sayin', for posterity, you can't judge a book by the look, or one's place on the map. So. Moving right along.

And the stateroom hallways on Deck 6-7-8-9 are like echo chambers, especially when the music's really bad.

Boot Scoot and Boogie!! Oh Boy!

Seriously, I know what it is, but on a cruise.... Just Scoot right on over to buffet line...;p

Like maybe some ELO, INXS, Black Sabbath, John Lee Hooker... a little Marley here and there, or even... wait for it... Deadmau5.]

Not likely to happen with today's DJ's ( or as I call them... Disc Spinners from ??)

I sent the reading to my email so I could send it to the US federal govt health department.

Too bad the US Federal Gov't Health Department (or whatever agency you said) has no jurisdiction in international waters. Guess somebody needs to stay home instead and tell the kids to get off their lawn! :p

Frankie, the former cruise director on the valor, during the music trivia would tell people if they were from the south, and didn't know the song sweet home Alabama by lynyrd skynyrd, that when we get to mexico tomorrow get off the ship and don't get back on.... lol

A few years back, we were enjoying the music by one of the ship's pool's with our favorite libations when a large family came out carrying their own sound system. They proceeded to set it up and turn it up to 11. Nobody, staff or passengers, said or did anything. They did get some looks that were ignored. Since this group had demonstrated a loud, aggressive entitled attitude from their appearance at embarkation, we tried to avoid them. We just left and found another bar. But we thought that was "different".

I know! I get the loudness during the day ... if you want quiet you can go to the serenity deck. But at 6:00 in the morning on my last few times on the Pride when I just wanted to sit and have a cup of coffee it was so loud I couldn't hear myself think!

We were recently on the Dream and are booked on the Magic in the fall of 2018. The music was so loud at the main pool and even the aft at times. I could barley order a drinking my ears were ringing so bad.... has anyone had this problem or am I just old. Anyone had any luck with getting them to turn it down ? Thanks

All the pool areas on all ships are loud.

On the Dream Class, the serenity deck is quiet, also deck 5 near the BBQ so you can sit quietly, and smell BBQ cooking!! ;p

A few years back, we were enjoying the music by one of the ship's pool's with our favorite libations when a large family came out carrying their own sound system. They proceeded to set it up and turn it up to 11. Nobody, staff or passengers, said or did anything. They did get some looks that were ignored. Since this group had demonstrated a loud, aggressive entitled attitude from their appearance at embarkation, we tried to avoid them. We just left and found another bar. But we thought that was "different".

Your comment sounds like some online videos of Australian cruises! :o

That's not true. With the exception of a rare soloist here and there, Holland America plays no music at the pools. Also, the Solarium pools on RCI and Celebrity are very quiet.

That's not true. With the exception of a rare soloist here and there, Holland America plays no music at the pools. Also, the Solarium pools on RCI and Celebrity are very quiet.

I have to agree with this. Even with live bands by the pool on RCI ships, it's never been too loud to have a conversation with someone.

We were in Nassau a few years ago and the Carnival Magic had music so loud it could be heard outside the straw market.

Not true.... We just returned from an 8 day cruise on the Elation. There was a "one man steel drum band" on the Lido deck several times. Not loud at all, and much more "appropriate" for a cruise.

Actually I don't recall the DJ playing "loudly" at all, but he could have been a few times.:)

On the Dream Class, the serenity deck is quiet, also deck 5 near the BBQ so you can sit quietly, and smell BBQ cooking!! ;p

The issue with the Dream Class Serenity Deck, is not noise (unless you sit by the entrance to the slide), but available seating? Let's see 4000 Pax, Serenity seating for 30-40 maybe??? And only available at 7:00am ?? :confused::confused:

Deck 5, Good spot sometimes, just depends if you are heading North or South in the afternoon.:cool: