Ship/Cruise review.... really?

I had no issue with their complaints about the food etc - sure the Pantry is kind of like a cafe/McDonalds especially when it's really busy. Sure the food isn't amazing elsewhere - but then it's often not on a cruise ship.

I've cruised to Australia from New Zealand and we were on the shaded side (port side in our case) and I can't even remember being vaguely bothered. Funnily enough I have a beautiful sunset photo from that side which is what that reviewer requested!

The administrators are supposed to check content for bad language or offensive comments rather than censoring views. That said, they must be very busy as our review from our cruise last month still hasn't been published.

I agree with you. The administrators should only check for bad language and offensive comments. They should not censor the writer's opinions. After all, that is the purpose of reviews. Sure, we won't agree with some and we will find other way off the mark, but there will always be several different opinions of the same cruise or cruise ship.

The wonderful online world, where everybody is an expert and complain about everything, then you notice oh how many reviews 1 or 2, so you go OMG they would know everything.... but it does make we laugh...

Best comment so far is the Captain can turn the Waves OFF......

We take Aft cabin to NZ so sunset oneway and sunrise the other.

Cheers Don

Thanks for the laugh Scottygirl1. That review was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Jeez mate, if you want a sunset go out on deck to look at it.

I'm worried now, the reviewer mentioned that they would try Princess next ..... ooohhh nooooo, I hope they're not on my future cruise! :eek:

Thanks for the laugh Scottygirl1. That review was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Jeez mate, if you want a sunset go out on deck to look at it.

I'm worried now, the reviewer mentioned that they would try Princess next ..... ooohhh nooooo, I hope they're not on my future cruise! :eek:

LOL... hopefully the sun will shine, the waves will be calm and the food will be fantastic. But then the room will be too small, the balcony too noisey, the drinks too expensive blah blah.

Seriously I love reading cruise reviews and they do help a lot with what to expect. Clearly no one would take a comment like "the ship sails a stupid route" seriously. I just had to share and it made me laugh too :)

The full review

"'Don't waste your money

I read poor reviews before our cruise and prayed that they were being written by people with high high expectations. But sadly no.. they were bang on. Food was what shocked me the most. Cafes or even Mcdonalds is better in comparison. The organisation of things were poorly executed. Especially for us as first time cruisers. Talked with so many other passengers who had similar complaints as well. The cost is highly overpriced, no good deals. The route this specific cruise took was just stupid and unfair giving only the left side of the ship all day sun. Even though it was a specific request to have the sun set view. The staff were 50 50 some nice, some miserable grumpy people. Tv was pathetic.. the channels the repeating movies the quality etc was just unreal. All in all i feel like months of excitement destroyed and money wasted. Gutted ill be trying princess next time as others in board suggested.

Cabin

Was fine (clean etc) except for the lack of sunshine as i wrote earlier. Just really stupid they havent worked that out and catered to both sides."'

I think the first sentence sums the whole thing up,

got to make you laugh ( still thinking about the captain and the Wave Button )

Cheers Don

The full review

"'Don't waste your money

I read poor reviews before our cruise and prayed that they were being written by people with high high expectations. But sadly no.. they were bang on. Food was what shocked me the most. Cafes or even Mcdonalds is better in comparison. The organisation of things were poorly executed. Especially for us as first time cruisers. Talked with so many other passengers who had similar complaints as well. The cost is highly overpriced, no good deals. The route this specific cruise took was just stupid and unfair giving only the left side of the ship all day sun. Even though it was a specific request to have the sun set view. The staff were 50 50 some nice, some miserable grumpy people. Tv was pathetic.. the channels the repeating movies the quality etc was just unreal. All in all i feel like months of excitement destroyed and money wasted. Gutted ill be trying princess next time as others in board suggested.

Cabin

Was fine (clean etc) except for the lack of sunshine as i wrote earlier. Just really stupid they havent worked that out and catered to both sides."'

I think the first sentence sums the whole thing up,

got to make you laugh ( still thinking about the captain and the Wave Button )

Cheers Don

They can actually control the waves on some RCI ships.;p

I agree with you. The administrators should only check for bad language and offensive comments. They should not censor the writer's opinions. After all, that is the purpose of reviews. Sure, we won't agree with some and we will find other way off the mark, but there will always be several different opinions of the same cruise or cruise ship.

Here are the guidelines for writing a review for Crusie critic.

We encourage all of our members to Write a Review for publication to Cruise Critic

Here are some great tips to help you write a review on Cruise Critic. Remember, your experiences help other travelers, so we look to publish reviews that cover a majority of this criteria:

" Info about you!

" Hotel information (if any)

" Ship information

" Activities

" Service

" Port & shore excursions

" Cabin

" Dining

" Children's clubs

" Entertainment

" Disembarkation

" Summary

In addition to above tips and criteria we look for publishing your review, Cruise Critic will not publish reviews that contain the following:

" Profanity or threats

" Personal insults

" Reports of violent or criminal activity

" Commercial web addresses, e-mail addresses or phone numbers for promotional purposes

" Full names of ship-based staff members

" Text entirely in ALL CAPS

" Content not relevant to tourists

" Letters to Cruise Lines

" Submissions about a single subject or incident on board (this is not a review, please use our forums for this)

" HTML

" Content that violates our Community Rules of Participation listed on our site

You will receive an email with specific information if your review does not meet our publication criteria.

Some folk are only happy if they are complaining.

During a Trans Pacific cruise, a passenger was complaining that no one had told her that there would be so many sea days, and that the Captain should be stopping at a port every day.!!!

Some folk are only happy if they are complaining.

During a Trans Pacific cruise, a passenger was complaining that no one had told her that there would be so many sea days, and that the Captain should be stopping at a port every day.!!!

Incredible that this complaint often arises, do people honestly not look at the itinerary when booking a cruise?

To be fair the reviewer also complained about the food and service. It wasn’t all about the lack of sun.

Maybe their expectations were too high. They are maybe suited to luxury cruising, but not mass market cruising.

Yes... but they also complained the short relocation was anexpensive cruise – when those are some of the cheapest.

If they consider that expensive, it’s unlikely they would be willing to pay more for a luxury cruise which is probably 5-10x as much.

Oh my goodness, I'd forgotten that last bit

"Cabin: Was fine (clean etc) except for the lack of sunshine as i wrote earlier. Just really stupid they havent worked that out and catered to both sides."'

LOL... silly cruise ship company not working out how to get the sunshine to both sides. Now I'll tell you how to get the sunshine to both sides. 1) do a round trip 2) do a return trip ... There you are, it's easy and the cruise ships actually do this all the time!!

Evidently they won’t be happy there either, since Princess also doesn’t have cabins the whole width of the ship, which is what they seem to want…

Maybe they should ask if the captain will let them put a bed on the bridge.

Just reread this too. What's the betting they were in an inside cabin. Well, no sunshine there, right? ;)

That would be hilarious :) How unfair that inside cabins don't get sun, another thing for the cruise lines to sort out I think.

Was talking to some people at a Party at the weekend.. the subject of Cruising came up.. I think I understand some people idea of cruising... I asked if, they were spending a lot on a cruise wouldn't they ask questions or research before putting money down. The general answer was No, what the??? then a mentioned formal nights, I had to keep a straight face, formal is wearing shoes, so t-shirt, shorts and runners = formal.

The point is people expectations and idea of cruise.... is often as difference as the titanic vs the carnival spirit ( with water park ).

Maybe the idea of floating hotel, is not a good analogy, as these people then think the sun is always in one place and it doesn't rock and roll, and they just can't go down the street for some more food.

And as pointed out inside is a fraction the cost of other cabins, and doesn't have windows, or the people are too old or to many kids....

it would be interesting to what a cruise ship would be like if it was set up to solely to cater for there people....... ( aaaahhh an island based resort .. with no captain or wave button

Cheers Don

I am gobsmacked at people who don't do research before booking and then again before sailing! I admit I'm OCD with this and usually know all that there is to know but surely you'd still want to know about things like drink packages, bookings that need to be made prior to boarding and realistic expectations. I watch videos, read reviews and of course, spend time here on Cruise Critic. It would be a waste of money to not research the possibilities.

HI Scottygirl1, you are spot on , I am a bit the same way and am very picky on where one stays, Land or Sea.

Money doesn't grow on trees ( it all plastic now ) ..

So like us to spend 10k on a holiday and not enjoy or what you can do, or your perks., then complain about little things,

Look read and learn, and it's a holiday so relax, don't let others unset you, just have another G&T.

We are really looking forward to our next cruise OMG it's 29 weeks away.

Cheers Don.

I am gobsmacked at people who don't do research before booking and then again before sailing! I admit I'm OCD with this and usually know all that there is to know but surely you'd still want to know about things like drink packages, bookings that need to be made prior to boarding and realistic expectations. I watch videos, read reviews and of course, spend time here on Cruise Critic. It would be a waste of money to not research the possibilities.
Likewise, I may sometimes overdo the research but at least I know how my money is being spent.:D