Carry on a Sewing Machine?

fastpitchdad

My wife is into quilting and from time to time goes on retreats around the state (and neighboring states/countries) to finish some of her projects. Since we live near a port she was hoping to find a deal (last minute or otherwise) to do a quilting retreat on a cruise out of Seattle. My question is, will she have any issues bringing one of her sewing machines on board?

My wife is into quilting and from time to time goes on retreats around the state (and neighboring states/countries) to finish some of her projects. Since we live near a port she was hoping to find a deal (last minute or otherwise) to do a quilting retreat on a cruise out of Seattle. My question is, will she have any issues bringing one of her sewing machines on board?

Question best addressed directly with NCL !

Just when you think you have heard of everything i.e. bringing the kitchen sink along - this Jokingly of course !

That noted I don't see why not - you are however referring to a small portable machine in box and not a console

furniture type machine. An additional piece of luggage maybe required with the accessories that go with the sewing !

Local advantage to your checking it in as luggage on a cruise ship as opposed to baggage on an airline !

Hope you have a reservation on a cabin of size to work this out - maybe something on the order of a suite.

Go for it - would make for an interesting conversation and perhaps have others learn a new project.

Question best addressed directly with NCL !

Just when you think you have heard of everything i.e. bringing the kitchen sink along - this Jokingly of course !

That noted I don't see why not - you are however referring to a small portable machine in box and not a console

furniture type machine. An additional piece of luggage maybe required with the accessories that go with the sewing !

Local advantage to your checking it in as luggage on a cruise ship as opposed to baggage on an airline !

Hope you have a reservation on a cabin of size to work this out - maybe something on the order of a suite.

Go for it - would make for an interesting conversation and perhaps have others learn a new project.

Thanks...I assume she would take along something similar to this (which she is using tonight).

27641376158_e538cbf7b4_b_d.jpg

c

She does need a little space but it isn't like she needs to use the long arm machine (which is something like 12 feet wide ).

That should work fine - one of the problems to consider is space to spread out the project.

If in a Inside or other small cabin the working area maybe critical. Hope you are considering

at least a small suite and not a mini-suite (just a deluxe balcony cabin).

One would have to be very inventive about control of the working space to efficiently sew

quilts that I presume are at least twin bed size - but then what do I know - I just sew pieces

and parts and do minor alterations.

You did not mention what ship you will be on but I guess it may be the BLISS or the PEARL

and while details about the BLISS are not known there must be meeting rooms that would

provide all the space that you would need for this project.

I find it admirable that you would take your sewing tasks with you on vacation and perhaps

share your work with others.

Please sign-on to the Roll Call and attend the Meet & Greet for a further introduction of your work !

It doesn't seem she wants to use it onboard, she wants to create her own shore excursion where she will use it. They might hold it for her and not let her bring it to the cabin or something, she'd have to collect and return for her excursion. It'll be an unusual request for sure, and I'd email and get it in writing. I'm thinking 50/50

Best to ask NCL directly. I can say we were on the Star a few years back and there was a group event several days in the conference rooms on 12 that had sewing machines in there. Maybe 20ish ladies. Not sure where the machines came from.

I recently was on a Royal Cruise were they had a group of quilters with their machines. I was interested since I quilt myself and only imagined bringing my machine. But they had to turn in all sharps (pins, scissors, blades) every night to be secured. The machines were not a problem at all. Theses ladies said they did this once a year.

Does anyone really think that ncl would allow this? Really? Oh sure...that won't blow a fuse will it. lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've heard of several quilting groups doing group cruises where they bring their machines and spend a lot of time quilting!

Yes absolutely there are quilting themed cruises. A local quilting store by me does one every year out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami. They have a designated area on the ship where they meet and quilt, usually built around a specific project they all work on. Personally I like to quilt but don’t understand staying in a room and sewing when I could be lying on a beach somewhere but to each their own. And yes they bring their own machines and I believe leave them in the quilting room.

Thanks...I assume she would take along something similar to this (which she is using tonight).

27641376158_e538cbf7b4_b_d.jpg

c

She does need a little space but it isn't like she needs to use the long arm machine (which is something like 12 feet wide ).

I see she has the most important accessory when sewing...the glass of wine!

Thanks for the heads up on quilting cruises...I knew she couldn't be the only one :) .

The thought was that she spends ~100 a night at condo to work on quilting projects so why not look for something similar on a ship and have food and drinks and interesting ports included? If it is not an organized quilting cruise we will definitely check with NCL ahead of time.

Wine is the most important accessory for many things :)

Yes absolutely there are quilting themed cruises. A local quilting store by me does one every year out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami. They have a designated area on the ship where they meet and quilt, usually built around a specific project they all work on. Personally I like to quilt but don’t understand staying in a room and sewing when I could be lying on a beach somewhere but to each their own. And yes they bring their own machines and I believe leave them in the quilting room.

Yeah, I kind of thought the same thing. They were in interior conference room without any windows so it was kind of dark in there on our trip.

The issue you are going to have with this is that the electrical in the cabin will most likely not support what is required by the machine. My friend had a hair dryer blow a fuse so the machine will as well. She'd need to find somewhere in a public area to sew like the people who have been on cruises with sewing/quilter groups do.

The issue you are going to have with this is that the electrical in the cabin will most likely not support what is required by the machine. My friend had a hair dryer blow a fuse so the machine will as well. She'd need to find somewhere in a public area to sew like the people who have been on cruises with sewing/quilter groups do.

I think that would OK but maybe something she should also try to clear with the cruise line ahead of time.

This is not going to be a BIG ISSUE !

A sewing machine does NOT use anywhere near the electricity of a hair dryer.

Finding an outlet*** and working space is the only foreseen problem - solved via extension cord.

*** as long as the outlet in the bath is not used !

The cabin stewards vacuum cleaner uses more current than a sewing machine - safe to plug into that outlet.

Now as for luggage best that this sewing machine (carrying case/container) have wheels to make lugging it

onto the ship and moving about to the cabin or other work area easier.

This is not going to be a BIG ISSUE !

A sewing machine does NOT use anywhere near the electricity of a hair dryer.

Finding an outlet*** and working space is the only foreseen problem - solved via extension cord.

*** as long as the outlet in the bath is not used !

The cabin stewards vacuum cleaner uses more current than a sewing machine - safe to plug into that outlet.

Now as for luggage best that this sewing machine (carrying case/container) have wheels to make lugging it

onto the ship and moving about to the cabin or other work area easier.

Thanks for that! So the main issue is what you said in the first reply...space to work in the room.

She does have a travel carrier with wheels (you can kid of see it under the table in the picture). She even checked it earlier this year (a smaller Janome machine) when we flew east earlier this year. I was kind of surprised but she didn't want to deal with it in the overhead and it made it just fine.