The classic dilemma

They know exactly who is on and off the ship at all times.

Thank you for the quick response. One other question. Once they discover someone is missing, how does they get the passport back to the missing person? They can go into the safe but they still need to get the passport into the person’s hands. Is there a place where the passenger can go to pick it up? In other words, what do they do with the passport once they retrieve it from the safe?

Thank you for the quick response. One other question. Once they discover someone is missing, how does they get the passport back to the missing person? They can go into the safe but they still need to get the passport into the person’s hands. Is there a place where the passenger can go to pick it up? In other words, what do they do with the passport once they retrieve it from the safe?

They give the passport to the port agent. The port agent is listed in the Cruise Compass. This is why it's always a good idea to take the Cruise Compass with you when you leave the ship.

According to people who have missed the ship at a port call, their passports were given to the port agent before the ship left. Their passports were taken from their cabin and were waiting for them at the dock. The best thing to do is keep your passport in your safe, because that is the first place they will look for it.

(The port agent's contact information is printed in the Cruise Compass on each port day. You should snap a photo of it and have it with you off the ship.)

Yup. A ziplock "bug out bag". With extra credit card cash passport etc all neatly zip locked with your name and cell number on it

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They give the passport to the port agent. The port agent is listed in the Cruise Compass. This is why it's always a good idea to take the Cruise Compass with you when you leave the ship.

This makes sense. I’ll follow the advice of those who say to leave the passport in the safe. Thank you for clearing that up.

I think merion_mom said it all best.

Except I personally fall into the “take the passport with me” side. :)

This topic gets more attention that it should. You have a watch. You know what time the ship will sail. It takes a pretty big mistake to mess up.

Don't allow your group to split up. Have cash in your pocket in case you need to take a taxi. Don't wait 'til the last minute to return to the ship.

Many people don’t have watches, or have them connected to gps. If their watches auto update and if their phones auto update, uh oh. And my iPhone once auto updated when I had it in the mode to NOT do so.

Traffic happens, accidents happen, etc etc. your last part is very true. Except that if you’re on a 3rd party tour and problems happen, plans to get back early can go out the window.

And BTW, if they would have gotten your passport, they would get your sail pass and photo ID, so you are in trouble anyways.

You make a terrific point. If you were going to be targeted, you would lose whatever it was you had anyway.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but, in my opinion, the best thing to do is carry your passport with you so you don't have to worry about anyone retrieving it from your cabin.

OK but keep in mind that they don't know you have your passport with you so they are going to have to do a very thorough search of your cabin and belongings to try and find it.

I know this is a question that has been asked time and time again, but I haven't seen it here lately and thought I'd gauge what people are doing nowadays. Do you guys take your passport with you off the ship each time you go ashore?

It seems very risky, but it also seems as if it's pointless to bring with you if you don't plan on taking it off the boat just in case

Usually never, but I take my driver's license. There are some ports that RCL recommends taking the passport as it required for ID & security.

OK but keep in mind that they don't know you have your passport with you so they are going to have to do a very thorough search of your cabin and belongings to try and find it.

If I was going to miss the ship, someone searching my cabin would be the least of my concerns.

Also, if you're not going to be rejoining the ship, they'll have to pack up all your stuff anyway.

Edited by time4u2go

My opinion. Why would you NOT take your passport with you. IF (and I know it's a big if) something should happen and you miss the ship, a picture of your passport will not get you on a plane to catch up with the ship at the next port. A picture will certainly help you get a new passport but it won't get you on a plane. People talk about losing their passport or having it stolen. Treat your passport as you would your wallet or your purse. I have never had my wallet lost or stolen and I don't expect to lose my passport or have it stolen either.

You specifically raise the issue of "meeting the ship in the next port."

Presumably you are NOT in a US port when this happens and the next port is NOT a US port.

You only need your passport to enter the US. You can fly from, say, St. Lucia to St. Maarten without showing a passport.

This topic gets more attention that it should. You have a watch. You know what time the ship will sail. It takes a pretty big mistake to mess up.

Come on, you have been on enough cruises to know that it is only because of benevolent captains that more people don't end up waving goodbye to the ships as they sail out of port.

Presumably you are NOT in a US port when this happens and the next port is NOT a US port.

You only need your passport to enter the US. You can fly from, say, St. Lucia to St. Maarten without showing a passport.

From the Best of BVI website....

Passport Requirements

US citizens require a valid passport to enter the British Virgin Islands with proof of a return or onward ticket.

From the US dept of State.....

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/BritishVirginIslands.html

U.S citizens must have a valid passport at time of entry into the BVI.

So what do you do if your ship is headed to Tortola without you on it?

Edited by Ocean Boy

There's been a couple of ports that we've been told by the ship that the local customs/immigration policy required us to have our passport. St. Petersburg, Russia is one of those ports. St. Petersburg also requires a visa if you've not booked a tour with one of the authorized tour companies or through the cruise line. No getting off the ship and wandering around town on your own without having procured a visa before you left home.

From the Best of BVI website....

Passport Requirements

US citizens require a valid passport to enter the British Virgin Islands with proof of a return or onward ticket.

From the US dept of State.....

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/BritishVirginIslands.html

U.S citizens must have a valid passport at time of entry into the BVI.

So what do you do if your ship is headed to Tortola without you on it?

Honestly, I have never been to the BVI. Which Royal Caribbean ships port there?

I don't believe any go now, but I saw some future Vision itineraries out of San Juan that have a Tortola stop.

Also, I believe there is (or was) an excursion from St Thomas to Tortola that required a passport booklet.

I don't believe any go now, but I saw some future Vision itineraries out of San Juan that have a Tortola stop.

Also, I believe there is (or was) an excursion from St Thomas to Tortola that required a passport booklet.

Sure. And when you are on a cruise in Alaska, there are excursions that go to the Yukon. Passport needed.

On excursions, you know the requirement and choose it knowing that you will take your passport with you.

Other than that, in the Caribbean, MY passport stays in MY safe in MY cabin.

:D

No, it has been stated many times, they check the safe. If it is not there, oh well.

And there have been reports of people left when late, where the passport was NOT retrieved from the safe.

More reports of being left. And of not getting the passport, than of having the passport stolen.

But whatever makes you most comfortable.

Uuhhh, no. You cannot cross other countries borders without a passport.

Except in the EU. So if you miss the ship in Amsterdam, you CAN get to Copenhagen gov photo ID.

But St Lucia is a sovereign nation, so anywhere you go from there will require a passport.

I am pretty sure that Serenade used to go there for a time when it was sailing out of San Juan. And does it really matter? The subject was meeting the ship in the next port not meeting an RCI ship in the BVIs.

I always wonder about those that are worried about their passport being stolen, how many times they have been pickpocketed or robbed?

MANY of these threads. MANY people afraid of taking their passport. But NOT ONE REPORT OF THEFT OR CASH OR WALLET.

- I personally know someone who was pickpocketed while on a cruise /ship was docked in Jamaica. My friend was smart enough to have her ID on her body, so the thief only got cash money.

- I was part of a group that was robbed while we waited at a bus stop in Mexico. It was raining, and we were crowded under a bus stop ... it was only once we got on the bus that we realized that about half the ladies' purses had been slashed open /their wallets removed. No one felt a thing.

- I know a family who was pickpocketed in London, but that doesn't seem to fit this conversation because it wasn't a cruise.

- I have heard a couple people report thefts on these boards.

I am 100% certain that theft is much more common than missing the ship; furthermore, you have almost complete control over whether you get back to the ship on time, whereas you have no control over whether a thief decides you're "the one" for today.

And BTW, if they would have gotten your passport, they would get your sail pass and photo ID, so you are in trouble anyways.

Assuming you're carrying them in the same place, yes. However, the ship has your image in their computer -- an image they took just a couple days before -- and they're going to let you back onboard /make you a new Ship ID. US Customs isn't going to be nearly so cooperative.

This might sound like a stupid question but how exactly will a cruise rep know to retrieve my passport from the safe? Do they do a head count and retrieve it automatically when they discover I’m missing or do I make a phone call to the cruise line?
Every time you board /disembark the ship, you have to scan your Ship ID card; thus, the computer always has a constant "headcount" of who's onboard /who's missing.

If you're not onboard as sail time approaches, they'll start making announcements for you. They're hoping that somehow you skipped scanning your card and aren't really still on the island.

As for the retrieving the passport thing, I know it's often discussed here, but I don't know if I believe it. Regardless, missing the ship is actually pretty rare. Plenty of people cut it close, but if missing the ship were actually common, we'd hear about it on this board.

Many people don’t have watches, or have them connected to gps. If their watches auto update and if their phones auto update, uh oh. And my iPhone once auto updated when I had it in the mode to NOT do so.

Traffic happens, accidents happen, etc etc. your last part is very true. Except that if you’re on a 3rd party tour and problems happen, plans to get back early can go out the window.

A cheap watch can be had for under $10, and I consider it a necessity for leaving the ship during a cruise. I wouldn't trust phone clocks for just reason you mentioned.

It's smart to plan to be back on the ship at least two hours before sail time. That means that IF you run into traffic, have an accident, etc., you may be later than you plan, but you're not going to miss the ship. 3rd party operators typically have back-up plans to get you back to the ship; if they didn't get people back, they wouldn't stay in business -- in more than a decade of reading this board, I've never once read about a 3rd party operator failing to get people back on time.

A friend of mine was in a car accident (in a rental car!) about a year ago, and she still made it back to the ship.

- I personally know someone who was pickpocketed while on a cruise /ship was docked in Jamaica. My friend was smart enough to have her ID on her body, so the thief only got cash money.

- I was part of a group that was robbed while we waited at a bus stop in Mexico. It was raining, and we were crowded under a bus stop ... it was only once we got on the bus that we realized that about half the ladies' purses had been slashed open /their wallets removed. No one felt a thing.

- I know a family who was pickpocketed in London, but that doesn't seem to fit this conversation because it wasn't a cruise.

- I have heard a couple people report thefts on these boards.

I am 100% certain that theft is much more common than missing the ship; furthermore, you have almost complete control over whether you get back to the ship on time, whereas you have no control over whether a thief decides you're "the one" for today.

Assuming you're carrying them in the same place, yes. However, the ship has your image in their computer -- an image they took just a couple days before -- and they're going to let you back onboard /make you a new Ship ID. US Customs isn't going to be nearly so cooperative.

Thanks. You are the first one to report such things.

But I don't think missing the ship is that rare. Several stories on CC. And many videos on You Tube. Although somehow I think many of those people probably don't have a passport to start with. :D

But I have never said that my way was the only way. Only giving counterpoint to those who insist to never take their passport out of the safe.

Each person has to make up their own mind, but should have both sides of the argument to make an informed decision.