HAL boarding pass printing issue - you're not going to believe this!

bluegiraffe

Two weeks ago I tried to download all of the 'stuff', tickets, luggage tags etc. I tried and immediately gave up. I am not going to waste time on this stuff. I kept a note of the booking number and went to the pier. I didn't even need that! I told the porter. that's right the porter, that I had no papers etc. He have me a few blank baggage labels. Filled them in and attached. Next person had a manifest. Showed my passport. He found my name and I was sent to the embarkation label. Walked right through the security, two seconds, and straight to the check in counter. They took passport, showed the creditcard, handed my keycard and I was finished. From taxi to cabin was 15 minutes, Maximium! Probably one of the easiest boarding I've seen.

Leaving the ship in Bermuda my disembarkation was a breeze too. Ship was sailing at 4pm. At 3pm I took to the gangway and straight to the terminal. The port agent came out just before 3.15. The sailing time was moved to 3.30 as all paz were on board. My suitcase in the agent's car and I was back in my house in less than 15 minutes. Easy... the agent is my nephew. ;-)

My only regret was getting off in Bermuda. I should have stayed on board for the rest of the crossing..

Stephen

Glad to see you posting again Stephen.

We're going to be in Bermuda in a few days and hope some of your paintings are on display in the gallery.

Looking forward to the warm weather there as we are on the way to cross the pond on the Prinsendam - the last time on that ship that we had the pleasure of your company :D

Hopefully the fact that you don't necessarily need to print everything out will give the technophobes a little less anxiety.

Did I just get called a technophobe? Best one I've heard all year. :D

Hopefully the fact that you don't necessarily need to print everything out will give the technophobes a little less anxiety.
One would hope.

I just printed my luggage tags. I had to switch to a browser within which I haven't installed browser extensions and pop-up blockers, as indicated on the CAUTION on the website.

One of the first rules of retail business is to make it easy for the customer to do business with you and make purchase process enjoyable.

HAL seems to be the exception to this rule.

I can state with absolute certainty they have lost bookings because of their computer issues.

I can imagine how frustrated you must feel over HAL's lack of effort to assist you. There's no excuse for poor customer service.

They had better get their act together. There are other cruise lines out there and there is no reason to put up with that kind of response. Makes my blood boil given the cost of the cruises. Can't print my luggage tags either. New site is terrible.

After reading this thread, I quickly went in and printed luggage tags for our next sailing without any issues. Easy and smooth as silk! :)

And, yes, all I had to do was 'hit the print button'.. ;)

Not quite sure what all the hand-wringing is about here. :confused:

I've been reading about all the problems people have had printing boarding passes, so I tried today to print ours for our upcoming cruise. I've tried everything suggested here, including different browers, etc. No luck.

I then called HAL and was told 1. I didn't know what I was doing. 2. My printer settings must be wrong (no, works just fine on everything else). 3. There are no problems with their website (the supervisor finally agreed that there have been "minor" issues). 4. No one has had any problems printing boarding passes (I told him that there were several posts here on Cruise Critic about just that, but he didn't want to hear it). 5. They could mail me boarding passes - for a $25.00 fee.

I think HAL just lost a customer.

I had the same problem with HAL a few years ago (my last HAL cruise).

After reading this thread, I quickly went in and printed luggage tags for our next sailing without any issues. Easy and smooth as silk! :)

Here is a deal - offer to print out the boarding passes for those who push the print button and nothing happens. The prevailing price is $25 for HAL to do it - beat that price, and offer to send it to folks who continue to have trouble by snail mail.

Depending upon which browser you use (Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Chrome,

Opera, Safari, Firefox, UC, Chromium, SeaMonkey, Yandex, Torch, ...) that hasn't

always been the case lately. There's a set of international standards from the folks

who invented the whole "www" thing that prevent that, but HAL didn't follow them.

Add to that, the documents came from a domain that wasn't "hollandamerica.com",

so ad-blockers and the more picky anti-virus programs blocked them.

I hear it's gotten better, but It's been a real case of "Your Mileage May Vary".

Here is a deal - offer to print out the boarding passes for those who push the print button and nothing happens. The prevailing price is $25 for HAL to do it - beat that price, and offer to send it to folks who continue to have trouble by snail mail.

For those unable to print their documentation, I'm calling it 'operator error'.. :)

As for your suggestion for me to offer to print for the 'technically challenged' on this thread, I'll do it for $50! ;)

For those unable to print their documentation, I'm calling it 'operator error'.. :)

As for your suggestion for me to offer to print for the 'technically challenged' on this thread, I'll do it for $50! ;)

Who could turn down that deal, free insults and twice the price. Business should be booming.

Maybe this will help, today I was able to finish my online boarding forms by using Microsoft's INTERNET EXPLORER (rather than Google CHROME which is what I normally use and which wouldn't work on the HAL site yesterday). Maybe HAL worked on their site? Maybe IE didn't have pop-ups blocked? Who knows? But it worked...

Several work arounds have been suggested.
There should be no NEED for work-arounds.

For those unable to print their documentation, I'm calling it 'operator error'..
How did the new site cause so many people to start making operator errors that they didn't make with the old site?

I called the Mariner Society a couple of weeks ago.. they knew exactly what was going on when I couldn't Check-in Online.. the next day HAL pulled the new site..they told me after I asked about HAL not having tried it out first before putting it online-- they said as soon as it went 'live' all heck broke loose' and that they had tried it out beforehand...so they pulled it.. guess what ---the New site is back as of this morning.. not any better than before they pulled it.. what a bunch of misfits.. stumblebums.. take your choice.. probably built by the same yahoos that ruined the Veendam and Rotterdam with their re-do's a few years back before they stopped that mess.. why change what was not broken.. new site is horrendous.. too many graphics.. have to hit 4 buttons to do the same as the old site ..NOT repeat NOT User-Friendly by any stretch.. all I can say is you get what you pay for..people at the top not knowing what they are doing-- lost in space.. what an abomination :(

I called the Mariner Society a couple of weeks ago.. they knew exactly what was going on when I couldn't Check-in Online.. the next day HAL pulled the new site..they told me after I asked about HAL not having tried it out first before putting it online-- they said as soon as it went 'live' all heck broke loose' and that they had tried it out beforehand...so they pulled it.. guess what ---the New site is back as of this morning.. not any better than before they pulled it.. what a bunch of misfits.. stumblebums.. take your choice.. probably built by the same yahoos that ruined the Veendam and Rotterdam with their re-do's a few years back before they stopped that mess.. why change what was not broken.. new site is horrendous.. too many graphics.. have to hit 4 buttons to do the same as the old site ..NOT repeat NOT User-Friendly by any stretch.. all I can say is you get what you pay for..people at the top not knowing what they are doing-- lost in space.. what an abomination :(

Ugh..I hate it when threads drift..why bring what's been done to a ship into a discussion it has no place in.

Ok....Now I feel weird. Am I the only one that hasn't had trouble printing his docs?

"Your mileage may vary" includes room for a few fortunate. Be glad. ;)

Using MS Edge browser with no add blocker and just Windows Defender as an

anti-virus gives you the best chance. Trouble is, many folks are ...reluctant to

venture onto the internet that naked.