Main Dining Room dress code

We're scheduled to depart on the Freedom of the Seas in August, our first RCI cruise! We have read conflicting info with respect to the casual vs smart casual in the MDR. Some site say shorts are permitted, some say tanks as well. Trying to plan ahead for 6 travelers who are apt to live, sleep and eat in shorts.

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I actually saw a link posted today that shorts are back to a "NO GO" so who knows. I did notice they corrected the verbiage on the website as well.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/cruises/la-tr-royal-caribbean-20180424-story.html

Yes I saw that article, but I'm getting conflicting info...

what Bob said.

Just off Oasis and I saw everything and anything in the MDR

On formal nights I saw from adults...jeans, tshirts, shorts, flip flops, sneakers, shirt/tie/dress pants, suit, tux, dresses, gowns, pant suits..all in the MDR.

I do not believe anyone was asked to leave.

Almost nothing is prohibited any more, as far as enforcement goes.

Depending on your cruise and its specific demographics, you will see "more" or "less" cooperation with the suggested dress code.

For example, I am currently on the Grandeur. It is past spring break time, this is a 12 night cruise, and the demographic is "older" and mostly "more experienced" at cruising.

The level of dress is quite compliant with the dress code on a nightly basis.

There were many beautiful dresses and some tuxes on formal night.

So, "it depends" is the answer.

:)

what Bob said.

Just off Oasis and I saw everything and anything in the MDR

On formal nights I saw from adults...jeans, tshirts, shorts, flip flops, sneakers, shirt/tie/dress pants, suit, tux, dresses, gowns, pant suits..all in the MDR.

I do not believe anyone was asked to leave.

We did a B2B cruise on the Jewel April 2017 and shorts weren't allowed on any evening in the MDR except the first evening (s). For the times they are a changin. ;)

Almost nothing is prohibited any more, as far as enforcement goes.

Depending on your cruise and its specific demographics, you will see "more" or "less" cooperation with the suggested dress code.

For example, I am currently on the Grandeur. It is past spring break time, this is a 12 night cruise, and the demographic is "older" and mostly "more experienced" at cruising.

The level of dress is quite compliant with the dress code on a nightly basis.

There were many beautiful dresses and some tuxes on formal night.

So, "it depends" is the answer.

:)

(y) Have to agree with your assessment. Have been on many transatlantics and many cruises over 7 nights. As a whole almost everyone dress as suggested. Have noticed that the Caribbean is a draw for the slobs of the cruising world. Luckily it is easy to change tables rather than sit with the shorts and baseball cap types sharing a table. Hopefully the OP will choose Carnival as that seems to be his demographic. Royal is overloaded with those who refuse to follow suggested attire. Perhaps the main dining room should be changed to the Main Diner room.

• 1 month later...

I'm curious as well. I have already packed 4 pairs of pants for a 7 night cruise (actually my wife packed them quite nicely) so I'm not going to remove any. Though it would be nice to have consistency across the board.

Seems like it's like a golf course that isn't too particular about collared shirts, though if they feel like it they could deny service?

I'm curious as well. I have already packed 4 pairs of pants for a 7 night cruise (actually my wife packed them quite nicely) so I'm not going to remove any. Though it would be nice to have consistency across the board.

Seems like it's like a golf course that isn't too particular about collared shirts, though if they feel like it they could deny service?

I've read a few posts on the boards that said shorts were absolutely not allowed, then others that said it was a free for all. My husband would rather not have to wear long pants and wouldn't mind wearing linen shorts or dress shorts if that's a possibility, but 🤷*♂️ I've got no idea... We're going the golf shirt route, save for elegant night.

I can tell you they will turn away people for dinner wearing flip flops even with socks in my experience. Not sure if the shorts rule is enforced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've read a few posts on the boards that said shorts were absolutely not allowed, then others that said it was a free for all. My husband would rather not have to wear long pants and wouldn't mind wearing linen shorts or dress shorts if that's a possibility, but 🤷*♂️ I've got no idea... We're going the golf shirt route, save for elegant night.

yeah i have those pants, a handful of golf shirts or other buttondown types, and 2 different ties. I figured I'm covered as long as I don't spill on my pants too often ;p

We're still wondering if they are turning people away from wearing shorts at the MDR. I've heard yes, I've heard no... Any recent cruisers??

Not during breakfast and lunch or the first evening of the cruise. In the evening it's all up to the headwaiter or Maitre D who is standing at the entrance to the MDR on that specific ship. If you are planning on wearing shorts go for it. But you may want to pack a pair or two of long pants just in case. Post your experiences when you return.

Now that's funny. The most consistent thing is the inconsistency.

(y) Have to agree with your assessment. Have been on many transatlantics and many cruises over 7 nights. As a whole almost everyone dress as suggested. Have noticed that the Caribbean is a draw for the slobs of the cruising world. Luckily it is easy to change tables rather than sit with the shorts and baseball cap types sharing a table. Hopefully the OP will choose Carnival as that seems to be his demographic. Royal is overloaded with those who refuse to follow suggested attire. Perhaps the main dining room should be changed to the Main Diner room.

Wow, hope I am NEVER your tablemate even though I/we dress for dinner. Friendliness, kindness, respect, reasonable manners are what I look for in dining companions. Clearly not you forte!

Hey Taglovestocruise... Couple things.

I'm seeing clarification so that I can pack dirty my family accordingly because we are not, ahem, shorts and baseball cap types, and do follow suggested dress codes. However, when there is conflicting information, one would reach out to others who have cruised on rci to provide such guidance, not criticism. Which, as we all know, is rampant on these boards.

As for your "recommendations" to chose Carnival over Royal, Umm thanks but no thanks.

And finally, it's Her, not His.

Not during breakfast and lunch or the first evening of the cruise. In the evening it's all up to the headwaiter or Maitre D who is standing at the entrance to the MDR on that specific ship. If you are planning on wearing shorts go for it. But you may want to pack a pair or two of long pants just in case. Post your experiences when you return.
Great advice.

We were on Freedom last year and although there is a dress code board at the entrance many people went in in shorts.

I asked the maitreD and he said they couldn't stop people except on formal night.

If you are turned away a quick trip to the cabin to put long trousers on that you brought for formal night should enable you to enter.

Alternatively you could go to Windjammer buffet or Chops or Giovanni's where they will welcome you.

Wow, hope I am NEVER your tablemate even though I/we dress for dinner. Friendliness, kindness, respect, reasonable manners are what I look for in dining companions. Clearly not you forte!

It's curious how you used the word "respect" and yet I consider "respect" to be a person that "respects" the dress code. With regard to the question, I to find those that attend dinner respecting the dress code are usually also have reasonable manners and kindness. I have also been at table, where the dress code was not respected, and well those people had also less desirable manners and language. People always say that what you dress should matter, but it does and people often act the way they dress. It's not that difficult to not to wear a baseball cap, and slip on a pair of long pants for the evening.

I will start off by saying, I honor the suggested dress codes when I sail. I have since the time I started cruising because that was what I was taught as a youngster sailing. I was also raised to have proper etiquette when the situation I'm in calls for it. That said,...

I do recognize that dressing appropriately costs money. Some people can afford the trip, gratuities, excursions etc., but may have a limited budget for clothes. I judge people on their actions and how they treat others more than on how they dress. Yes, there are those who lack manners and etiquette/courtesy towards others. There are those who are well mannered and have proper etiquette/courtesy towards other regardless of dress. I do not feel it is my place in this world to judge others. If I do not like where I am seated, I can ask for a change of seating. If that's not possible, I feel it is within my rights to comment on disrespect if I am being disrespected directly. How other people dress does not ruin my day or evening. If it did, I would need to re-evaluate why I am so bothered by it. This is not the cruising world of the years prior to the 2000s. The cruises in the 70s, 80s seemed more exclusive than those in the decades to follow. Cruising has become more mainstream affordable and there are a lot of changes inclusive of that.

If someone is a jerk to you or your family, call them out on it. If their clothes at meal-time are the only offense.... well.. perhaps find a way to look beyond it. Life is just too short to be bothered by things you can do nothing about.