Water price hike a mistake?

Nrknits

This is the response I just got from Princess about my post of FB about the water price hike: Hi Nancy, we apologize for the pricing error. We will be refunding the price difference to guests who purchased the water bottle package over the past day, and the price will be updated in the Cruise Personalizer shortly. We're sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

As someone correctly posted in one of the many threads on this subject...!!

now the 'reduced' price will be a 'bargain' !!!!!!

props to whoever posted that...are you in Marketing??:mad:;p:evilsmile:

The only "mistake" may well have been that they didn't anticipate the outcry. My suspicion is that at these prices, far fewer people will purchase a water package and they may will make less money off water sales as people decide that the price is ridiculous.

Had they raised the price by...say hypothetically $2 or $3 for the package, there would have been a bit of a howl, but it would have quickly died down. That would be a relatively reasonable increase and as there is no evidence that the cost to Princess has increased, it would have all been profit to them. Maybe $3 per package sold isn't much, but it adds up. And remember that they were already making a profit at the lower price.

More than tripling the price....well, if people choose not to purchase water due to the high price, they'll see no income.

This was not an accidental mistake. The person I spoke to at Princess last night (who was actually the most polite person I have spoken to at Princess) confirmed that they were changing packages and she had read a memo about the change. She didn't know what the change was but thought it would be out soon and said I would be able to see the new package in my personalizer soon. The moment I got off the phone, the new prices were posted. I could not have reached a nicer person last night.

So if it was an accidental mistake - there was a memo about it advance to employees.

This was not an accidental mistake. The person I spoke to at Princess last night (who was actually the most polite person I have spoken to at Princess) confirmed that they were changing packages and she had read a memo about the change. She didn't know what the change was but thought it would be out soon and said I would be able to see the new package in my personalizer soon. The moment I got off the phone, the new prices were posted. I could not have reached a nicer person last night.

So if it was an accidental mistake - there was a memo about it advance to employees.

Or reps make up answers to questions by callers.

Or reps make up answers to questions by callers.

No. I don't think so. When I mentioned I wanted to buy water, she looked it up and couldn't find it and said she had seen a Memo about the product changing. She then put me on hold and spoke with 2 supervisors who said they were revamping the package and said they tried to over-ride the system but couldn't to purchase the water. I was on hold for awhile. She told me to check back soon as the new package should be available soon. This is consistent with what others reported and I doubt we spoke to the same person as the other person didn't check with a supervisor.