Coral Princess vs Royal Princess

Luvtoteachell

OK, I am piling it on.........Coral it is. Have been on both the Coral and Royal; while I don't dislike any of the Princess ships that I have been on, the Royal is at the bottom of the list and the Coral is at the top.

I would put Island at the bottom of the list. Our second Alaska cruise was on Island and I didn't like the ship. Having sailed Coral on the cruise just prior to that one really emphasized how terrible Island is since they hacked it up. Coral is not only great for Alaska but for the Panama Canal as well. Same thing with the outdoor viewing areas for both cruises. (We sailed Coral for a 17 day full transit of the canal in 2015 and are booked on Coral again - in the same cabin - for a 19 day partial transit in November.)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Having been on the Coral in Alaska for both the north and south bound routes, and Royal for 21 days. For Alaska or Panama without a doubt the Coral, we did Club Class so cannot say about the wait at Dinner but noticed people standing in line. Do not know how long. 

But the Royal has very little space you can go out on deck which is very important for Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.  The Coral has a promenade deck that when raining (notice i did not say "if") is great because it is covered and has deck chairs. The Royal does not have this, it has a 'few' chairs but it is not covered and the parts that are covered the view is obscured. You also really cannot get a good view of the front of the ship unless you are in the Sanctuary.  The Royal has 3000 passengers that get on and off takes a lot of time. The Coral about 1000 less. 

Been to Alaska 3 times and have traveled on both the Coral twice and the Royal twice.

For Alaska, its Coral hands down.  More and better viewing areas.  You don't want the biggest for Alaska, you want a ship that has plenty of open viewing areas.  

I think its a huge mistake for Princess to have Royal doing the Alaska itinerary.  There's just not enough open viewing area.  No promenade deck.  There is viewing on the top decks, but the top decks are so high up and with so many people on the ship the top decks will be crowded.  It will be hard to move around to get different vantage points. 

• 3 months later...

Thank you to everyone who posted here.  DH and I are booking Alaska for 2020 and we had 2 tours we were considering one on the Coral and the other  on the Royal.  We opted for the Coral Princess and after reading all your comments I am glad we did. 

• Like 1

I booked this week an Alaska cruise on Princess.  

I disembarked Royal Princess on 1/5/19 after my first cruise aboard her.

I chose Coral Princess for my Alaska cruise for all of the positive reasons that previous posters listed as I compared deck plans for the two ships and with my experience on Royal Princess.  Based upon these comments, I chose well.  

I have never been on either ship, I am still struggling between the two for my upcoming Alaska cruise. 

I have watched some videos of the two ships.  I quite like the promenade deck of Royal as it opens out to the sea and has nothing hanging above or on the sides which will obstruct my view.  But I would also like to have a foredeck that offers forward view.  Royal doesn't have one and the view from the  Santuary seems to be behind the glass which I don't like.  Those who have been on the Royal might be able to advise me if this is the case.

The aft on Calibre and Baja decks of Coral is covered, thus has something above your head that blocks some of the sky.   I like to be not just outside but also to have open view as much as possible. 

Can anyone please tell me if there is aft view from behind Horizon Courts on the Royal?  

Fingers crossed that the weather is good on my trip!  

Haven't heard any reports on the latest refurbishment on the Royal, whether any amenities installed for Glacier viewing.

On 10/30/2018 at 1:14 AM, riclop said:

Royal much better buffet and newer and better.

Royal she has on demand tv. You can sit in your cabin and watch the bridge cam with Alaska outside.  Joke.  

Of course it’s the Coral

• Haha 1

Some say that the best view of the glacier is from the sides as the ship will spin to let those who have balcony cabins to have a view from their balcony. Is it the case?   

Since 80% of the passengers on the Royal have a balcony, I wonder if the decks will not be as crowded as imagined.  Coral has a much smaller percentage of balcony cabins which means more people will be using the decks for glacier viewing.  I may be wrong as I have never been on any cruise before.  Any comment?

On 10/30/2018 at 7:39 AM, KYBOB said:

Having been on the Coral in Alaska for both the north and south bound routes, and Royal for 21 days. For Alaska or Panama without a doubt the Coral, we did Club Class so cannot say about the wait at Dinner but noticed people standing in line. Do not know how long. 

But the Royal has very little space you can go out on deck which is very important for Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.  The Coral has a promenade deck that when raining (notice i did not say "if") is great because it is covered and has deck chairs. The Royal does not have this, it has a 'few' chairs but it is not covered and the parts that are covered the view is obscured. You also really cannot get a good view of the front of the ship unless you are in the Sanctuary.  The Royal has 3000 passengers that get on and off takes a lot of time. The Coral about 1000 less. 

Hi KYBOB, 

which itinerary you like better? North bound or South bound?

14 hours ago, sskate said:

Some say that the best view of the glacier is from the sides as the ship will spin to let those who have balcony cabins to have a view from their balcony. Is it the case?   

Since 80% of the passengers on the Royal have a balcony, I wonder if the decks will not be as crowded as imagined.  Coral has a much smaller percentage of balcony cabins which means more people will be using the decks for glacier viewing.  I may be wrong as I have never been on any cruise before.  Any comment?

Based upon my experience aboard HAL ships, when the ship is in an area such as Hubbard Glacier, the Captain does slowly spin the ship around so that all on each side of the ship have a chance to view the sights.  (I saw a Princess ship, either Island or Coral, do the same thing as Amsterdam, on which I was aboard, was leaving Hubbard Glacier.)  

But, if one remains on one's balcony, will you be on the side when the glacier (or any glacier for that matter) decides to calve?  Remaining only on one's veranda during such scenic cruising is not recommended by me or by many others as well.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:31 AM, sskate said:

That's a very, VERY good point no one's thought to address yet.  We have to remember it's the first Royal class ship to head to Alaska.  To me, it's probably unfair to compare a noob ship with an experienced ship in a region.

I'm fairly certain Princess might have taken this very idea into consideration when they decided to send Royal there.  

Apples and oranges in my book.  Can't judge them fairly together.  Thanks for posting this very interesting question.  

Edited by musicpro442

On 2/15/2019 at 1:31 AM, sskate said:

Maybe you should go on a cruise first.

The best views are not from your balcony - this has limited views. It is from deck.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 2:36 AM, sskate said:

Hi KYBOB, 

which itinerary you like better? North bound or South bound?

Ok first response both I liked seeing twice was just too much to take in, also increased probability of non-rain day. I really ike getting on and off in Vancouver. Such a great City.