What broadway play?

George C

2 hours ago, ams cruiser said:

Has anyone ever seen "Hamilton" on both Broadway and San Francisco (or any of the traveling casts)?  We just saw it for the first time in SF (I think with the "Peggy" cast?) yesterday, and absolutely loved it.  A couple of the main roles were played by standby actors, I believe, but they were very good.  Just wondering how the Broadway cast compares.  Are the "best" productions (or more experienced actors) always on Broadway?

We hadn't been to a show in years (!), but had been planning to see  Hamilton, at some point, when the tickets became more readily available.  And then we just never got around to it. But we actually won the $10 lottery - bought the tickets online on Saturday as soon as we got notification, and saw the matinee on Sunday.  Had great seats in the Mezzanine at the Orpheum, and were thrilled to be there!

My daughter who went to HS with one of the actors from the original cast saw the play on Broadway 6 times and off Broadway once.Not exactly an answer to your question but she saw several different actors and she loved every production that she saw.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My daughter who went to HS with one of the actors from the original cast saw the play on Broadway 6 times and off Broadway once.Not exactly an answer to your question but she saw several different actors and she loved every production that she saw.

Wow, 7 times! Good to hear she enjoyed them all, as she certainly had a point of reference.  The cast that we saw had several actors with lengthy resumes, and a few (in the ensemble), seemingly just out college! (Good for them!)

Just out curiosity, which actor did your daughter go to HS with?

Congratulations ams cruiser on winning the lottery!

We saw Hamilton in NYC before our cruise, and I am reporting back. DH is a history buff and knew all the history,  so even tho he never heard any of the OBCR, he was not lost and LOVED it! I thought it was very good, but can't say I was totally blown away. Maybe not possible after all the hype. But I truly believe Lin Manuel Miranda is a genius,  fitting all that history into 2 and a half hours. And I love the music!

Nitemare, we both thought Daniel Beaker was awesome, and it's hard to imagine that he was not every bit as good as Leslie Odom Jr.  (we have only seen clips of him). DH wants to see it again, and we probably will, but unless we win the lottery, it will probably when the prices calm down.  But now we want to go to Chicago and see Hamilton The Exhibition. 

We got in town the night before, and thought we would see Jersey Boys (playing on 50th st at New World Stages). However, we got in at late due to traffic at 6:45 and really didn't want to rush to TKTS, then try to make a 7pm curtain. So we saw another show there, Imbible, The History of Drinking (8pm), which we really enjoyed. The Bartender explained the history of beer, wine, distilling, spirits, etc and the Bar Backs illustrated everything with costumes, acting, singing and dancing. If you like 3 and 4 part harmonies you will love them. The show comes with 3 drinks (beer, an Old Fashioned, and a gin and tonic) and you can buy drinks (full bar) before the show starts if you like. Tix at TKTS were $47, so you get to see a show and drink for about the price of 3 drinks in NYC. I would recommend it if you have an extra day and want to see an entertaining show.

We were in Times Square having some Lobster tacos Friday about 5pm on Aug 23 and saw the TKTS board had discount tix for

Ain't Too Proud, Beautiful, and Come From Away. If you are on your way into the city, you can go online to TDF.org, ticket booth section, and select "TKTS Live" to see what tickets are available (or while you are standing in line if you can't see the boards) it goes live at 3pm for the evening shows.

33 minutes ago, sparkle said:

Congratulations ams cruiser on winning the lottery!

We saw Hamilton in NYC before our cruise, and I am reporting back. DH is a history buff and knew all the history,  so even tho he never heard any of the OBCR, he was not lost and LOVED it! I thought it was very good, but can't say I was totally blown away. Maybe not possible after all the hype. But I truly believe Lin Manuel Miranda is a genius,  fitting all that history into 2 and a half hours. And I love the music!

Nitemare, we both thought Daniel Beaker was awesome, and it's hard to imagine that he was not every bit as good as Leslie Odom Jr.  (we have only seen clips of him). DH wants to see it again, and we probably will, but unless we win the lottery, it will probably when the prices calm down.  But now we want to go to Chicago and see Hamilton The Exhibition. 

We got in town the night before, and thought we would see Jersey Boys (playing on 50th st at New World Stages). However, we got in at late due to traffic at 6:45 and really didn't want to rush to TKTS, then try to make a 7pm curtain. So we saw another show there, Imbible, The History of Drinking (8pm), which we really enjoyed. The Bartender explained the history of beer, wine, distilling, spirits, etc and the Bar Backs illustrated everything with costumes, acting, singing and dancing. If you like 3 and 4 part harmonies you will love them. The show comes with 3 drinks (beer, an Old Fashioned, and a gin and tonic) and you can buy drinks (full bar) before the show starts if you like. Tix at TKTS were $47, so you get to see a show and drink for about the price of 3 drinks in NYC. I would recommend it if you have an extra day and want to see an entertaining show.

We were in Times Square having some Lobster tacos Friday about 5pm on Aug 23 and saw the TKTS board had discount tix for

Ain't Too Proud, Beautiful, and Come From Away. If you are on your way into the city, you can go online to TDF.org, ticket booth section, and select "TKTS Live" to see what tickets are available (or while you are standing in line if you can't see the boards) it goes live at 3pm for the evening shows.

Thank you, we were actually quite stunned to win the lottery seats!

To prepare for Hamilton (the day before, because that's all the advance warning you get in the lottery!), I listened to the original soundtrack for Act 1 (with lyrics), and then read the synopsis of Act 2 and the historical background of the main characters.  It helped a lot, as I knew the gist of what was being said, even though I missed a lot of the words.  In the production I saw, the only character who I couldn't understand at all was Lafayette.  The actor was fine as Thomas Jefferson, but his "French" accent made the rap difficult to follow.  This wasn't the case with some of the videos I have seen of his numbers, so maybe it had to do with the amplification system.

My husband a retired history teacher, and shared a lot of background information and insights both before and after the play which helped deepen my understanding. Like your husband, he knew what was going on, but missed a lot of the nuances, so he's been listening to the soundtrack, now that he's seen the play.  Both of us really loved it.  I was quite moved by Lin Manuel Miranda's ability to make historical figures come to life with all of their warts and flaws, but make you care about them, nonetheless.  And (almost) all done in rap.  Amazing.

All of the musicals you've mentioned are ones that I want to see, including Jersey Boys.  (Where were the lobster tacos?!)  I've downloaded the TKTS app, and have seen Ain't Too Proud, Beautiful, and Come From Away all listed, with ATP having the smallest discounts. I'm really leaning towards going to Seaport TKTS on the Tuesday after we arrive, and getting tickets for Tuesday night and a Wed. matinee in one fell swoop.  From looking at different ticketing websites, there seem to be pretty good availability of CFA tickets, even up until the day before the show.   I would like to, at least save on the ticket fees that are charged online.  (I've been really spoiled by the $10 Hamilton tickets!)

The History of Drinking sounds like quite an experience!  I know my husband would enjoy it.  I'm sure I would enjoy the show, but I don't drink alcohol, so the "perks" would be wasted on me.  Now if there was a "History of Desserts" experience, I would be all for it!

Edited by ams cruiser

54 minutes ago, ams cruiser said:

Wow, 7 times! Good to hear she enjoyed them all, as she certainly had a point of reference.  The cast that we saw had several actors with lengthy resumes, and a few (in the ensemble), seemingly just out college! (Good for them!)

Just out curiosity, which actor did your daughter go to HS with?

Javier Munoz 

My daughter is a History teacher currently in a high school and brought her class to see a Hamilton last June.

Edited by lenquixote66

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Javier Munoz 

My daughter is a History teacher currently in a high school and brought her class to see a Hamilton last June.

I think that is fantastic!  Do local classes still get to go to Hamilton on field trips?  What a wonderful opportunity for both students and teachers.

Wasn't Javier Munoz also in "Into the Heights"?  He really was in on the ground floor up!

The only cast member that I've had any connection with was Daveed Diggs, who went to the middle school from which I just retired.  I didn't have him in class, but I remember him as an extremely talented 7th grader - brilliant student, great athlete (he was recruited by Brown to run track and field), musical, creative, and a really nice young man.  Before he moved to LA , he came back to do Slam Poetry with some of our 8th grade English students, as he kept in touch with many of his teachers. My son still talks about what a difference Daveed made when he worked with my son and his friends.

4 minutes ago, ams cruiser said:

I think that is fantastic!  Do local classes still get to go to Hamilton on field trips?  What a wonderful opportunity for both students and teachers.

Wasn't Javier Munoz also in "Into the Heights"?  He really was in on the ground floor up!

The only cast member that I've had any connection with was Daveed Diggs, who went to the middle school from which I just retired.  I didn't have him in class, but I remember him as an extremely talented 7th grader - brilliant student, great athlete (he was recruited by Brown to run track and field), musical, creative, and a really nice young man.  Before he moved to LA , he came back to do Slam Poetry with some of our 8th grade English students, as he kept in touch with many of his teachers. My son still talks about what a difference Daveed made when he worked with my son and his friends.

Yes,he was in In The Heights. Not only do the kids at the high school my daughter teaches in get to see Broadway plays they also have the opportunity to travel.Earlier this year a group of students and teachers ,including my daughter went to Europe for 10;days.

When my daughter was in college,in NY she had the opportunity to spend her Junior year at a college in England . She stayed there the entire year and got to travel in Europe.

Amscruiser, we got lobster tacos at a "food booth", not sure if that is the correct name, just west of the red steps in Times Square. They have tables and chairs out there too. Very interesting to sit and watch everyone.

You have a great plan to get tix. I used to do that when TKTS had a booth at the World Trade Center.

I am not much of a drinker. DH got me a glass of wine before the show and I gave him my drinks, except I did drink half of the Old Fashion, which was good. I agree, the History of Desserts sounds like a winner!

Speaking of Hamilton— a first for us last night: a Hamilton song on a cruise ship!  My wife and I are on the Celebrity Summit right now, and last night we went to the Broadway Cabaret show — the six singers from the production cast singing show tunes. The usual mix of Les Miz, Phantom, etc.  

To our great surprise, midway through the show, one of the singers introduced the next song as having been written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, whom he described as the genius behind In the Heights and a newer show called Hamilton, from which the next song came. My wife and I and a few others applauded, but otherwise there was silence from the nearly 1000 people in the packed theatre. (Do they live under a rock?) He then sang The Room Where It Happens, with the other singers filling the ensemble roll.  He did a great job, and the song was well staged and presented for a cruise ship. My wife and I were so happy that Hamilton has made its way onto a cruise ship! 

So many plays-- so little time!  We are in NYC for 3 nights pre cruise on October 16, 17 & 18.  I am really confused as to the best way to get tickets-- We arrive late (4:30) on the 16th so we are not planning on a play that night, but would like to see Come From Away or Hamilton or ??.  How does the lottery work and is it too early for us to enter?  I saw that Come From Away is available at TKTS-- but there are 4 or 5 different choices, many include a social media account.  Can tickets only be purchaced at TKTS the day of or the day before the performance?

I am a novice at this, so appreciate being "walked through" the ticket buying process.

Tkts is for today’s performance at Times Square location , you can get next days  afternoon if at Lincoln Center or south street seaport locations , best to get app so you can see what is available. Come from away may or may not be available depending on the day but it’s a great play. Afternoon shows are just on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. We almost always buy our tickets via tkts booth . 

1 hour ago, lsok said:

So many plays-- so little time!  We are in NYC for 3 nights pre cruise on October 16, 17 & 18.  I am really confused as to the best way to get tickets-- We arrive late (4:30) on the 16th so we are not planning on a play that night, but would like to see Come From Away or Hamilton or ??.  How does the lottery work and is it too early for us to enter?  I saw that Come From Away is available at TKTS-- but there are 4 or 5 different choices, many include a social media account.  Can tickets only be purchaced at TKTS the day of or the day before the performance?

I am a novice at this, so appreciate being "walked through" the ticket buying process.

Friends of ours were able to get tickets to Hamilton at TKTS last Wednesday for a matinee.Row F mezzanine $147 each.

50 minutes ago, George C said:

Tkts is for today’s performance at Times Square location , you can get next days  afternoon if at Lincoln Center or south street seaport locations , best to get app so you can see what is available. Come from away may or may not be available depending on the day but it’s a great play. Afternoon shows are just on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. We almost always buy our tickets via tkts booth . 

Afternoon shows are now also on Thursday for some productions.We have tickets for Moulin Rouge On November 7.

16 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,he was in In The Heights. Not only do the kids at the high school my daughter teaches in get to see Broadway plays they also have the opportunity to travel.Earlier this year a group of students and teachers ,including my daughter went to Europe for 10;days.

When my daughter was in college,in NY she had the opportunity to spend her Junior year at a college in England . She stayed there the entire year and got to travel in Europe.

Sounds like a high school with wonderful opportunities for students and teachers! It's wonderful when young people can get out and experience the world!

5 minutes ago, ams cruiser said:

Sounds like a high school with wonderful opportunities for students and teachers! It's wonderful when young people can get out and experience the world!

The school that my daughter attended with Javier Munoz was one in which you had to pass a test to enter.It is an elite school,no sports teams .They have a Chess team that traveled all over the world.

My older daughter,also a teacher was a student there as well .

5 hours ago, sparkle said:

Amscruiser, we got lobster tacos at a "food booth", not sure if that is the correct name, just west of the red steps in Times Square. They have tables and chairs out there too. Very interesting to sit and watch everyone.

You have a great plan to get tix. I used to do that when TKTS had a booth at the World Trade Center.

I am not much of a drinker. DH got me a glass of wine before the show and I gave him my drinks, except I did drink half of the Old Fashion, which was good. I agree, the History of Desserts sounds like a winner!

We'll keep our eyes open for the lobster tacos when we are in Times Square.  (I have a trip planning spread sheet on my phone, with one page devoted just to food places in each of the cities we're visiting!)  

I'm hoping we have some luck with the shows we are interested in at TKTS (Beautiful and Come From Away).  My TKTS app is showing tickets for both for tonight, plus a number of others.  I'll have back-ups in mind, just in case, may "Ain't Too Proud" or "Tootsie".

My DH likes wine or beer, but doesn't care for desserts, so we never have to share!

Edited by ams cruiser

17 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The school that my daughter attended with Javier Munoz was one in which you had to pass a test to enter.It is an elite school,no sports teams .They have a Chess team that traveled all over the world.

My older daughter,also a teacher was a student there as well .

Impressive! You must be very proud of your daughters.

Edited by ams cruiser

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

Some shows are changing matinee times.Last Wednesday we went to see To Kill A Mockingbird and the starting time was 1:00.

We're just trying to avoid an evening show that runs late on Wednesday, since we have to leave our hotel at 4 in the morning! So I was thinking a Wed. matinee might be better.