What broadway play?

George C

34 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Subtley, but it does.

We watched it 4 times before we could discern the change.

I’ve watched them change it, but I couldn’t tell you exactly what changed. 

But again, there is just so much happening on stage!

Just now, Nitemare said:

Subtley, but it does.

We watched it 4 times before we could discern the change.

I’ve read an interesting interview with the set designer about the differences. I’m on a ship right now with terrible internet access, or I’d try to find it. On the positive side, the ship is headed for San Francisco, where we have tickets for “Hamilton” for the fifth time. We are sitting close enough that we should be able to see the differences, and looking for them is on my list of things to look for. 😃 (The rope was last time around.)

17 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Tough for us women who have to spend most of intermission on line for the ladies room. 😆

(But yes, the back wall does change for Act II.)

17 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Tough for us women who have to spend most of intermission on line for the ladies room. 😆

(But yes, the back wall does change for Act II.)

I am disabled and waiting on the bathroom line is pure agony.

16 hours ago, George C said:

Anybody here anything about Girl from the north country? I am a huge Dylan fan and it features his music, was a movie ten or so years ago. Opens next month. 

It is beginning previews Feb.7.I am a huge Dylan fan too.I saw him in concert in 1965  and many times since.

Bought tix today for Assassins, at Classic Stage Company.  Great little theater in the East Village that gets terrific actors

Steven Pasquale, Will Swenson, Brandon Uranowitz, Judy Kuhn are all in this.  One of the few "Major" Sondheim shows we haven't seen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

Bought tix today for Assassins, at Classic Stage Company.  Great little theater in the East Village that gets terrific actors

Steven Pasquale, Will Swenson, Brandon Uranowitz, Judy Kuhn are all in this.  One of the few "Major" Sondheim shows we haven't seen

This is just one of many great theaters in NYC that most people even native NewYorkers never heard of.My wife and I are benefactors of the HB Studio ,a small theater that seats 80 where some wonderful productions with great actors can be found.

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Assassins.  

8 hours ago, Nitemare said:

We sign up for a subscription at a different Off Broadway theater each year, then try to see others, too.  Done "New Group" twice (never again), Atlantic (this year), Irish Rep, CSC, and a couple others.

We enjoy the Irish Rep.We saw a great production of Emperor Jones.

Many years ago there were small theaters in the East 50’s that offered wonderful and obscure plays.One that we saw was Leda Had A Little Swan.

56 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Take Me Out goes onsale tomorrow.  We saw the prior version 10 years or so ago.  Great play by Richard Greenberg

Richard Greenberg is the best playwright that many people who post on this board probably never heard of.

Take Me Out appeared at the Joseph Papp theater .Many years ago I knew one of Papp’ children .We went to the same HS.My wife and I went to her 50th birthday party .

• 2 weeks later...

An FYI for anyone visiting San Francisco (as we are now, having just concluded a fabulous Panama Canal cruise from NY): we saw “Hamilton” in SF last night (our fifth time seeing this show), and it’s a terrific production.  With a couple of exceptions, the actors playing the major roles were really excellent, especially those playing Hamilton, Burr (and we saw the standby!), Angelica, Jefferson, and Laurens.   The cast worked really well together and there was great energy on stage. 

Unfortunately, the actor playing Washington was very weak. He lacked the commanding presence that this role requires, and he played Washington in a very weak way. We also thought the actress playing Eliza was subpar.  She even stepped out of singing “Burn” to speak a few lines, and it just did not work. That song should make your heart ache for Eliza, but it just made me wish someone else were playing her.

We still had a great time  — every time I see this show, the brilliance of it just knocks me over. And the ticket prices in SF are relatively inexpensive when compared with prices for Hamilton elsewhere. 

P.S. If anyone wants me to tell you the lines that are being sung in “Alexander Hamilton” when the rope is untied and walked back, just let me know. 🤣

Recently bought tickets for British transfer, Hangmen, by Martin Mcdonagh. Big hit in London, supposed to be very funny with thriller edge to it. All British cast includes recognizable actors like Dan Stevens and Mark Addy. Previews begin February 8. Strictly limited engagement at the Golden Theater. 

Jonathan

On 1/25/2020 at 3:49 PM, cruiserking said:

Recently bought tickets for British transfer, Hangmen, by Martin Mcdonagh. Big hit in London, supposed to be very funny with thriller edge to it. All British cast includes recognizable actors like Dan Stevens and Mark Addy. Previews begin February 8. Strictly limited engagement at the Golden Theater. 

Jonathan

Saw Hangmen off Broadway when it was in NYC a couple years ago.  We see EVERYTHING by McDonagh, and this was as good as anything else he has done and better than some.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2020 at 2:14 PM, Turtles06 said:

An FYI for anyone visiting San Francisco (as we are now, having just concluded a fabulous Panama Canal cruise from NY): we saw “Hamilton” in SF last night (our fifth time seeing this show), and it’s a terrific production.  With a couple of exceptions, the actors playing the major roles were really excellent, especially those playing Hamilton, Burr (and we saw the standby!), Angelica, Jefferson, and Laurens.   The cast worked really well together and there was great energy on stage. 

Unfortunately, the actor playing Washington was very weak. He lacked the commanding presence that this role requires, and he played Washington in a very weak way. We also thought the actress playing Eliza was subpar.  She even stepped out of singing “Burn” to speak a few lines, and it just did not work. That song should make your heart ache for Eliza, but it just made me wish someone else were playing her.

We still had a great time  — every time I see this show, the brilliance of it just knocks me over. And the ticket prices in SF are relatively inexpensive when compared with prices for Hamilton elsewhere. 

P.S. If anyone wants me to tell you the lines that are being sung in “Alexander Hamilton” when the rope is untied and walked back, just let me know. 🤣

We saw a production of Fantastiks in SF .It was really wonderful.

On 1/25/2020 at 3:49 PM, cruiserking said:

Jonathan

We saw Hillary and Clinton in this theater.I am 6’5 and I felt like a pretzel in the seat.

11 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Saw Hangmen off Broadway when it was in NYC a couple years ago.  We see EVERYTHING by McDonagh, and this was as good as anything else he has done and better than some.

McDonagh is considered by many to be the greatest living Irish playwrights.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

We saw Hillary and Clinton in this theater.I am 6’5 and I felt like a pretzel in the seat.

I have walked out or stood for second half in golden and some other theaters , really sucks to spend a couple of hundred and not being able to sit to see show. 

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My theater group will be going to 6 plays in 2020

West Side Story

Tina

Diana

Company

Hadestown

We have not been advised the 6 th as of yet.

I didn't know they were doing a show about Diana Ross, I mean Princess Diana.  I hope the 6th one isn't the Michael Jackson musical.  That just seems like a bad idea to me.

We are in NYC over the upcoming holiday weekend and have tickets to nothing and no dinner reservations.  No shows are "calling" to us.  Might actually hit up TKTS for the first time in years, or utilize our underused TDF membership

On 1/26/2020 at 2:47 PM, George C said:

I will never go to Golden theater again , no legroom, but I am over 6 ft tall

I am 6'1", and wide.  We've seen 4 shows there (Seminar, Doll's House 2, Three Tall Women, Vanya and Sasha . . .) and I don't recall the seating being much worse than anywhere else.

49 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I am 6'1", and wide.  We've seen 4 shows there (Seminar, Doll's House 2, Three Tall Women, Vanya and Sasha . . .) and I don't recall the seating being much worse than anywhere else.

we were in last row for Normal Heart , left at intermission, but I am 6'4 with bad knees