What broadway play?

George C

16 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I saw Fantastiks In the 70’s and again in 2007.My wife saw the original production of Hair,as did I and she saw one again recently. I heard about the play about Ann Richards.I believe it stars Holland Taylor.It should be very good.

Yes it is also in a theater we have not been too yet but I believe it is associated with the one that won tony for best regional theater a couple of years ago, I believe that had the original “ all the way “ play we also went to its sequel last year. 

19 minutes ago, George C said:

Yes it is also in a theater we have not been too yet but I believe it is associated with the one that won tony for best regional theater a couple of years ago, I believe that had the original “ all the way “ play we also went to its sequel last year. 

My late friend Dave relocated 40 years ago to Houston from Brooklyn and was a huge supporter of regional theater. In 2010 he moved to a Dallas suburb and used to tell me about theater in Dallas. He said the productions were always great.

Enjoy the play ,I look forward to hearing about it when I return from my cruise in November.

Just wanted to report in about our Broadway experience this week.  Went to the South Seaport TKTS office on Tuesday.  Chose Seaport because they open at 11a.m., an hour earlier than Times Square.  TKTS very organized - sent someone out to answer questions about 10 minutes before opening, and opened right on time.  List of available tickets were on display in the window.

Purchased “Beautiful” tickets for that evening, and scored third row left orchestra aisle seats for 40% off.  The seats were fantastic, and we loved the musical, which closes on the 17th.

i was surprised “Come From Away” wasn’t available, because it had appeared on the TKTS app many times over the weeks I checked.  I had been planning on buying Wednesday matinee tickets. The young woman told me that they hadn’t had these tickets as often recently. So before the TKTS office opened, I bought discount tickets online for Wednesday night (discount tickets weren’t available for the matinee) from Playbill.com. Got great seats, 3rd row left mezzanine for $99 plus $13 service charge.  Yes, I hated to pay the fee, but our time in NYC was so limited, and our plans that day were all in lower Manhattan.

”Come From Away” was absolutely fantastic!  A great ensemble production with rapid fire dialogue, and activity.  There is no intermission, and the time flew by.  We found the musical incredibly moving, especially since we had just gotten off of our Canadian cruise, talking with people in Nova Scotia, who told us that the play was spot-on. Everyone was on their feet during the uplifting finale.

So happy we saw both musicals!

And we found a great Japanese restaurant, Ootoya, nearby.  Food is excellent, reminiscent of what I’ve had in Japan, and their online reviews are glowing. They open at 5:30, and are packed within 15 minutes or so.  The best way to get in is to be there when they open, but starting at 5:30, you can join an online waiting list.  Afterwards, it was a 5-10 walk to the theaters.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ams cruiser said:

Just wanted to report in about our Broadway experience this week.  Went to the South Seaport TKTS office on Tuesday.  Chose Seaport because they open at 11a.m., an hour earlier than Times Square.  TKTS very organized - sent someone out to answer questions about 10 minutes before opening, and opened right on time.  List of available tickets were on display in the window.

Purchased “Beautiful” tickets for that evening, and scored third row left orchestra aisle seats for 40% off.  The seats were fantastic, and we loved the musical, which closes on the 17th.

i was surprised “Come From Away” wasn’t available, because it had appeared on the TKTS app many times over the weeks I checked.  I had been planning on buying Wednesday matinee tickets. The young woman told me that they hadn’t had these tickets as often recently. So before the TKTS office opened, I bought discount tickets online for Wednesday night (discount tickets weren’t available for the matinee) from Playbill.com. Got great seats, 3rd row left mezzanine for $99 plus $13 service charge.  Yes, I hated to pay the fee, but our time in NYC was so limited, and our plans that day were all in lower Manhattan.

”Come From Away” was absolutely fantastic!  A great ensemble production with rapid fire dialogue, and activity.  There is no intermission, and the time flew by.  We found the musical incredibly moving, especially since we had just gotten off of our Canadian cruise, talking with people in Nova Scotia, who told us that the play was spot-on. Everyone was on their feet during the uplifting finale.

So happy we saw both musicals!

And we found a great Japanese restaurant, Ootoya, nearby.  Food is excellent, reminiscent of what I’ve had in Japan, and their online reviews are glowing. They open at 5:30, and are packed within 15 minutes or so.  The best way to get in is to be there when they open, but starting at 5:30, you can join an online waiting list.  Afterwards, it was a 5-10 walk to the theaters.

Glad that you enjoyed Come From Away.In my opinion it is one of the best plays of all time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 1:48 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I assume you will be there today or tomorrow.Please post your opinion of the show.

I'm sorry for the delay in my response.  I saw it on October 12 and it was absolutely wonderful!  The stories, the music - everything was wonderful and although it did bring a few tears, it also brought laughter.  It also reinforced the fact that there are good people in the world.

On 10/15/2019 at 7:47 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I saw Les Mis three times,Man of LaMancha twice,The Fantastiks twice and Oklahoma twice.I would definitely go to see Come From Away a second time and also The Bands Visit.

I've seen Les Miz at least 10 times (no exaggeration) over the years, I've seen Hamilton and Wicked three times each,  and many other shows twice.  I'll be seeing The Band's Visit for a second time in January (in Philadelphia, since it's no longer on Broadway) and expect to see Come From Away and Once on This Island a second time next year as well.

The show that I'm most looking forward to next year is The Music Man with Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster.

I hope you like it more than we did!

Little Shop is incredibly well done.  Freestyle Love Supreme is great if you are a fan of Improv and rap/hiphop.  We had Chris Jackson and Wayne Brady and a few other amazing performers

7 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I hope you like it more than we did!

Little Shop is incredibly well done.  Freestyle Love Supreme is great if you are a fan of Improv and rap/hiphop.  We had Chris Jackson and Wayne Brady and a few other amazing performers

We belong to a theater group and we pay in advance for the 6 -8 plays that we go to for the year.If we do not go we are in essence losing money.

Understandable.  I do hope you like it. Lots of folks do. We just prefer things with substance, understand everyone doesn't.

at dinner last night the next table over was raving about playwright Martin McDonagh. I so wanted to join the conversation as we love his plays. They are far from simple and often have very dark humor with political content, but that's what we like.

We're on a Panama Canal cruise this winter that ends in San Francisco in late January.  "Hamilton" has been playing there for about a year, after having had a fairly long run there before, iirc.  But tickets for the current run have only been on sale through Jan. 5, 2020, with no announcement about whether the show would be extended or not.  I signed up months ago for the theatre's newsletter and have been checking their web site daily, and today got the great news that they've extended the run through May, and that the new block of tickets was going on sale immediately.  So we got our post-cruise tickets!   This will be our fourth time seeing the show, and we are quite excited.

And I have to say, the tickets prices in San Fran were pretty "modest" compared with the prices in the other cities where we've seen the show.  Prime Orchestra in San Fran is $169 per ticket (which includes a $15 service fee).  We paid more than that for mezzanine tickets in Chicago, even before the fees.   

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

We're on a Panama Canal cruise this winter that ends in San Francisco in late January.  "Hamilton" has been playing there for about a year, after having had a fairly long run there before, iirc.  But tickets for the current run have only been on sale through Jan. 5, 2020, with no announcement about whether the show would be extended or not.  I signed up months ago for the theatre's newsletter and have been checking their web site daily, and today got the great news that they've extended the run through May, and that the new block of tickets was going on sale immediately.  So we got our post-cruise tickets!   This will be our fourth time seeing the show, and we are quite excited.

And I have to say, the tickets prices in San Fran were pretty "modest" compared with the prices in the other cities where we've seen the show.  Prime Orchestra in San Fran is $169 per ticket (which includes a $15 service fee).  We paid more than that for mezzanine tickets in Chicago, even before the fees.   

We saw a lot of productions over the years in San Francisco and they were always great.

TKTS booth is fine for discounts, but you are better off buying your discounted tickets in advance, online, where you can chose your seats without spending limited vacation time.

TKTS, which is last minute, by definition, may not have 4 or 6 seats together.  Buying online you will have a good choice of seats and pricepoints.  TKTS often only offers the higher priced seats.

On 11/5/2019 at 8:55 AM, AF-1 said:

so if you arrive in Manhattan and want to see a show; the best place to buy 4-6 tickets  would be where?

Bought 4 tickets together a few times at tkts without a problem, depending on show. Get tkts app to see what shows are available and price.