What broadway play?

George C

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We saw The Prom last year too.The reviews of the movie are not that good.

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I expect it will be fun and we'll wonder why James Corden is in it.  

The Vanity Fair review makes it sound pretty mediocre.  I have to say, the trailer did not grab me.  I'll probably give it a chance, though, since what else do I have to do? 🤣  But it doesn't sound promising.  

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/12/the-prom-movie-review-james-corden

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

The Vanity Fair review makes it sound pretty mediocre.  I have to say, the trailer did not grab me.  I'll probably give it a chance, though, since what else do I have to do? 🤣  But it doesn't sound promising.  

There are so many wonderful productions on Netflix,however,not theatrical.

21 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

We, too, shall be watching

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:21 PM, George C said:

Just finished watching The Prom. We both enjoyed it , great cast, fun movie.

We watched it this evening. We hadn't seen the show, so we went in cold.  We thought the first 45 minutes or so were excellent -- great fun and entertaining.  Then, for us at least, the film stalled out and dragged;  there were several numbers (particularly Nicole Kidman's) that really could have been cut; imho, there was no reason for this film to be as long as it is (more than two hours).  Things picked up again towards the end, and the movie finished as it had started -- fun and entertaining.  But I wish there'd been some good editing!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

We watched it this evening. We hadn't seen the show, so we went in cold.  We thought the first 45 minutes or so were excellent -- great fun and entertaining.  Then, for us at least, the film stalled out and dragged;  there were several numbers (particularly Nicole Kidman's) that really could have been cut; imho, there was no reason for this film to be as long as it is (more than two hours).  Things picked up again towards the end, and the movie finished as it had started -- fun and entertaining.  But I wish there'd been some good editing!

It’s always super tough got a movie to capture a feeling of a play , I thought they dod a good job, we had no real knowledge of the play before had and just loved it. Can’t wait till broadway can open again so we can visit my favorite city and where I was born and raised . My wife who never visited nyc before we meet also adores the city. 

19 hours ago, George C said:

It’s always super tough got a movie to capture a feeling of a play , I thought they dod a good job, we had no real knowledge of the play before had and just loved it. Can’t wait till broadway can open again so we can visit my favorite city and where I was born and raised . My wife who never visited nyc before we meet also adores the city. 

As a fellow Brooklynite who has been all over the US there is nothing like NYC  for theater.The closest ever was seeing a production of The Fantastiks in San Francisco which was excellent.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

As a fellow Brooklynite who has been all over the US there is nothing like NYC  for theater.The closest ever was seeing a production of The Fantastiks in San Francisco which was excellent.

Dallas gets excellent touring companies , several of the plays I have seen in Broadway the touring company was just as good and I never have a issue with leg room. The local company won the Tony a couple of years ago for best regional theater company, Tony is in the lobby. But I cannot see 4 or 5 shows in a 4 days like New York . I saw Fantastic about 3 times about a decade apart in original theatre in the village.

13 hours ago, George C said:

Dallas gets excellent touring companies , several of the plays I have seen in Broadway the touring company was just as good and I never have a issue with leg room. The local company won the Tony a couple of years ago for best regional theater company, Tony is in the lobby. But I cannot see 4 or 5 shows in a 4 days like New York . I saw Fantastic about 3 times about a decade apart in original theatre in the village.

I saw Fantastiks in NY too,in 2007.

53 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I saw Fantastiks in NY too,in 2007.

Was that in original theater in the village? That has a little museum showing all the pictures of different casts , I went in the 70’s the first time . Going back to The Prom, loved the part where they supposed to have went to Sardi’s which is one of our favorite bars , bar is on second floor . My other favorite drinking place is Gallagher’s which I believe is about 100years old.

1 hour ago, George C said:

Was that in original theater in the village? That has a little museum showing all the pictures of different casts , I went in the 70’s the first time . Going back to The Prom, loved the part where they supposed to have went to Sardi’s which is one of our favorite bars , bar is on second floor . My other favorite drinking place is Gallagher’s which I believe is about 100years old.

No that was in a theater on 8th.Ave and 50 Th.

My favorite drinking places when I was able to drink was Tommy Makem’s in Manhattan and Warm Beer Lousy Food in Brooklyn.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

No that was in a theater on 8th.Ave and 50 Th.

My favorite drinking places when I was able to drink was Tommy Makem’s in Manhattan and Warm Beer Lousy Food in Brooklyn.

Hopefully most of our favorites will survive Covid 

Finished watching The Prom last night.  Was better than I expected, but not close to the B'way version.  Big James Corden fan but he was poorly cast, and the PTA mother was pretty much a caricature.

Glad we watched it, but if you get a chance to see it Live, DO SO

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Finished watching The Prom last night.  Was better than I expected, but not close to the B'way version.  Big James Corden fan but he was poorly cast, and the PTA mother was pretty much a caricature.

Glad we watched it, but if you get a chance to see it Live, DO SO

The show on Broadway was much better than the movie.I wonder when theaters will re-open.

If you want something a bit more challenging than The Prom, I can highly recommend Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, also streaming on Netflix.

August Wilson play about Jazz and race relations in the 1920's, starring Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman in his final role.

Rated R (appropriately) for strong language and sexual content.  We saw this on B'way about 15 years ago with Whoopie Goldberg playing Ma Rainey and thought it was above average but not memorable.

This is memorable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nitemare said:

If you want something a bit more challenging than The Prom, I can highly recommend Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, also streaming on Netflix.

August Wilson play about Jazz and race relations in the 1920's, starring Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman in his final role.

Rated R (appropriately) for strong language and sexual content.  We saw this on B'way about 15 years ago with Whoopie Goldberg playing Ma Rainey and thought it was above average but not memorable.

This is memorable.

Would love a opportunity to see Whoopie on broadway, will check out the show.

16 hours ago, George C said:

Would love a opportunity to see Whoopie on broadway, will check out the show.

Check the film out for sure.

The revival with Whoopie that we saw was not particularly well received.  This is much better.

After you watch it, there is a Netflix "bringing the show to the screen" 30 minute piece that is worth watching

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 6:37 AM, Nitemare said:

Check the film out for sure.

The revival with Whoopie that we saw was not particularly well received.  This is much better.

After you watch it, there is a Netflix "bringing the show to the screen" 30 minute piece that is worth watching

Thanks for the suggestion.I too saw the Broadway production years ago.

While Whoopi might have strong points as an actress in no way is she comparable to Viola Davis,in my opinion.

Many years ago a friend of mine was her college acting teacher and saw the talent that she possessed.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:16 AM, Nitemare said:

This is memorable.

I agree. Chadwick Boseman will be awarded the Oscar for his performance although in my opinion it should go to Gary Oldman in Mank.

Colman Domingo,one of my favorite actors will hopefully get Best Supporting Actor and Viola Davis,Best Actress.

2 hours ago, George C said:

Just looking at our favorite midtown hotel michealanglo rates are great for suites a hundred or two below normal rate for July. Hopefully broadway will be open then. 

It is not likely that they will be open in July .I do not believe that the theaters will open when they cannot be at full capacity.They would be losing money. I believe that the earliest will be in  2022.

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

It is not likely that they will be open in July .I do not believe that the theaters will open when they cannot be at full capacity.They would be losing money. I believe that the earliest will be in  2022.

I would be happy to bet you are wrong , at least some plays will reopen hopefully by mid summer, not all , but at least some, I assume they are paying rent . 

15 hours ago, George C said:

I would be happy to bet you are wrong , at least some plays will reopen hopefully by mid summer, not all , but at least some, I assume they are paying rent . 

I would bet that it would be more likely that the restaurants on Eastern Parkway that you and I went to when we were kids are more likely to reopen than theaters opening in 2021.