What broadway play?

George C

23 hours ago, George C said:

Happy New Years to all is broadway lovers and hopefully we will be able to see a play in 2021.

Happy New Year to you too.

As I have said before,theaters will not open until restrictions are gone and the wearing of masks are no longer warranted.They are in business to make and not lose money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

I doubt Broadway plays will be available in 2021. Vaccines are in short supply in NYC. 

That is what I think too but as you know not all NYC theater is on Broadway.The Heights Players for one expect to be open as well as several other theaters that are open to share their love of art.There are theaters that never charge for a performance and have top name artists who enjoy their livelihood.

I think we will hopefully be able to see a play by fall, depending of course on getting most people vaccinated, my two favorite vacations are going to nyc to see plays etc and cruises we normally do both every year, at least we did a cruise in February, last year was first year I didn’t visit New York since moving in 1982.

11 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Vaccine availability is going to change significantly over the spring and summer assuming J&J and maybe AZ get approved.

I would bet against B'way in July/August, but I'd bet in favor by October.

I would tend to agree with you.As of now several off broadway theaters and movie theaters have closed and will not likely re-open.

11 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I would tend to agree with you.As of now several off broadway theaters and movie theaters have closed and will not likely re-open.

Movie theaters were closing anyway, but I doubt 50% of the screens from Before Times will reopen.

I expect most of B'way and Off B'way and other theater will recover, but it will take many years for that.

7 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Movie theaters were closing anyway, but I doubt 50% of the screens from Before Times will reopen.

I expect most of B'way and Off B'way and other theater will recover, but it will take many years for that.

I posted previously on this thread ,I believe,that a theater around the corner from where I live closed last March and they are not re-opening.

Almost every town in my part of NY had a theater and all have closed.

9 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I also agree on movies theaters , now many of the new major movies are going straight to streaming services like , Netflix, hbomax and amazon prime , hard to compete with that . But we will go once things get to normal we enjoy the new movie theaters that have waiters bringing drinks and food to your chair. 
    And getting back to broadway nothing can match live theater and music, we go to a upscale restaurant in Dallas at least once a week and they have live music every night, manager told me they tried it without and it didn’t work.

3 hours ago, George C said:

I also agree on movies theaters , now many of the new major movies are going straight to streaming services like , Netflix, hbomax and amazon prime , hard to compete with that . But we will go once things get to normal we enjoy the new movie theaters that have waiters bringing drinks and food to your chair. 
    And getting back to broadway nothing can match live theater and music, we go to a upscale restaurant in Dallas at least once a week and they have live music every night, manager told me they tried it without and it didn’t work.

We live very close to a beach community and we have wall to wall restaurants.The majority of the restaurants have live music.

4 hours ago, George C said:

Another broadway legend just passed away Cicely Tyson we saw her in 2013 in “ a trip to bountiful “ she started doing broadway in the1950’s. 

I met her many years ago.One day I was seated in my Freshman college English class when a young woman who was not a part of my class came in and sat down next to me. The Professor entered the room and said that she invited a friend of hers to sit in on the class and speak to us afterward.That was Cicely Tyson .She spoke to the class and afterward and then to us individually.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 3:27 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I posted previously on this thread ,I believe,that a theater around the corner from where I live closed last March and they are not re-opening.

Almost every town in my part of NY had a theater and all have closed.

Although they may not reopen, I expect quite a few shuttered venues will eventually reopen under new management if necessary.  The demand will be there in terms of audiences and the supply will be there in terms of spaces and artists.

On 1/29/2021 at 8:12 PM, lenquixote66 said:

We live very close to a beach community and we have wall to wall restaurants.The majority of the restaurants have live music.

Are these restaurants currently opened for indoor dinning ? I wouldn’t be surprised if many are closed some permanently , hate to see what this pandemic has done to bars restaurants and other places . 

44 minutes ago, George C said:

Are these restaurants currently opened for indoor dinning ? I wouldn’t be surprised if many are closed some permanently , hate to see what this pandemic has done to bars restaurants and other places . 

A number of places here in the DC area, some that have been here more or less forever, have shut down. Some of the music venues have partially reopened, but I don't believe any theater venues are open. The well known bigger clubs in DC are still closed, and really probably have little choice; they're open floor standing room venues, and even at reduced capacity  you'd have to do something crazy to socially distance people. And a couple of live music venues have closed permanently. 

I did see today that Le Bernardin is reopening (again) on Valentine's Day. No capacity limits given, but I'm sure it's reduced, and it's dinner seatings (5-10 pm) only. I think I saw an interview with Ripert that they could break even at 25% capacity, although that's probably not supporting 100% of his staff.

I think we're all hoping that our favorites survive. The chains seem to be cutting out their low performers, but they may well be with us and the neighborhood places and the high end independents are going to be at risk. Especially if they're not good fits for carry out.

• Like 1

Glad to hear Le Bernardin is reopening did try that on last trip to NYC even though it was definitely more expensive than our normal restaurants, it is across the street from our favorite hotel the Michealanglo which has been closed for about 10 months, will be booking our normal suite there as soon as things return to normal. I know from our friends in New York area that they have been hit harder than we have in Dallas area. Our normal upscale restaurant that we visit at least once a week really appreciates our business and have told us a few times , was shocked on one of our visits last week when they picked up our entire check ( wish we would have ordered a more expensive bottle of wine 😁😁)

6 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Although they may not reopen, I expect quite a few shuttered venues will eventually reopen under new management if necessary.  The demand will be there in terms of audiences and the supply will be there in terms of spaces and artists.

A theater in my part of NY was open 50 years.I am in contact with the owners and they do not plan to re-open .

1 hour ago, George C said:

15 percent indoor dining.However,in the warm weather all of the live music is outdoors.

We have a family-owned and run (first generation, I believe) Greek restaurant (with Italian and other offerings on the menu) about two miles from home. One of the two brothers (second generation) is a trained chef; the other runs an attached franchised wine shop. We've known them long enough now to consider them friends, and the wine shop is kind of the local "Cheers". They do weekend wine tastings, usually 6-8 different wines, free with a membership in one of their wine clubs.

This time a year ago, on any given Friday, starting at 4:59 pm, there would be as many as 100 people in this relatively small wine shop for the tastings. Some members, some paying to taste, many if not most buying at least one retail bottle, and many buying a bottle for onsite, and food. That all ended on March 16, the day before a planned beer tasting on St Patrick's Day. The wine shop was able to continue retail at some point, initially curbside delivery or grab and go off of racks and some limited deliveries. Food service started the same way. Wine tastings became Zoom. Initially you were buying full bottles, but Virginia (and apparently other states) loosened up on off premises sales, and they started preparing tasting bottles, and then doing Zoom tastings. Eventually, they put in a tent, which they had to pay for, and now heat, first for dining and tastings, and now for tastings as they took it on themselves to spread out the tasting stations. It's been kind of nuts to watch.

Oddly, some events that used to be capacity limited have been better as virtual; others not so much. They have a high end wine club with around 40-50 members that barely fit in the shop for tasting events; no problems on Zoom! Equally odd is that because the wine shop in particular is successful on the retail side, they've gotten allocations at levels they've never had in the past while the restaurant scene has cut back. Like taking orders for additional bottles of Opus One, which just didn't happen before. And selling them.

So very mixed bag for them, but we still think they're going to survive. And they've helped all of us maintain our sanity for the past 12 months!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have friends in Arlington and Fairfax.They have not indicated that restaurants are going out of business.

Some are. Some are doing OK. They may be like us where our favorite found a way to survive. DC has been hit pretty hard from what I’ve seen. 

We’re out in what would have been the country a few years ago.  

Our favorite restaurant of almost 30 years is just holding on , many restaurants have closed all over the country, we go out about 3 nights a week trying to help our favorites, I have also increased our tips by about ten percent,  I am just hoping things can get back to normal ASAP.