fare question

Hawaiidan

I was looking the other day at cruises that included the loften islands in Norway. and Azamara was one of the only acceptable ships going I looked at a 14 day that was to the north cape and back in June and it was 2900 for 14 days... sounds reasonable enough $207 a day pp. Then I saw the cruise which was 17 days, ending in Scotland, that did include the Loften Island group, and fell off my chair, the cheapest inside was $7100.00 !!! $418.00 a day per person !!!! Wanted to go in 2020 but their is no schedule that far out. Has anyone seen this sort of massive fare increase ???? What am I missing? That's more like what an all inclusive luxury ship with rt Business class air included would charge. And why is it such a massive increase over the 14 day that covers all the places except Loften, a week prior, 200 a day less !!!

I was looking the other day at cruises that included the loften islands in Norway. and Azamara was one of the only acceptable ships going I looked at a 14 day that was to the north cape and back in June and it was 2900 for 14 days... sounds reasonable enough $207 a day pp. Then I saw the cruise which was 17 days, ending in Scotland, that did include the Loften Island group, and fell off my chair, the cheapest inside was $7100.00 !!! $418.00 a day per person !!!! Wanted to go in 2020 but their is no schedule that far out. Has anyone seen this sort of massive fare increase ???? What am I missing? That's more like what an all inclusive luxury ship with rt Business class air included would charge. And why is it such a massive increase over the 14 day that covers all the places except Loften, a week prior, 200 a day less !!!

Hey Dan, can find the 7100 cruise but, not the 2900. Normally Azamara only does a single Norway cruise eah year. found the one for this year and 4499 which is still reasonable but, many have noticed the prices going sky high on Azamara. Hope you are talking 2018 vs 2019 and with 2018 not too far away, probably price drops to fill the ship. Nobody on this board can figure out azamara pricing. Good luck.

Hey Dan, can find the 7100 cruise but, not the 2900. Normally Azamara only does a single Norway cruise eah year. found the one for this year and 4499 which is still reasonable but, many have noticed the prices going sky high on Azamara. Hope you are talking 2018 vs 2019 and with 2018 not too far away, probably price drops to fill the ship. Nobody on this board can figure out azamara pricing. Good luck.

Thanks Dave, I can not find the 2900 any more. The 16 day with port and grats, comes in at about $7500 pp $469 pp/pd O is doing a similar in 2019 for 12 days at 325.00 pp/pd on Marina. The AZAMARA cruise looked great but not almost $150 a day difference and on a lesser ship as well ( O vs Az) . I am booked for 2019 so must look at 2020

Must lines do so few Norway trips I am trying to get to the Loften islands I may bite the bullet and take the ferry and pack some cans of chili ( like Walt Disney used to do) I love the scenery I hate the food there. Lots of folks screaming about the pricing... I know.

There has been quite a bit of commentary about Azamara’s pricing strategy. Perhaps they think demand is inelastic, but most of us are very price elastic and are looking at other cruise lines. I have received discounted offers on various Azamara cruises from an American cruise consolidator who adds airfare and other considerations to the offer. This is one of the places that Azamara dumps their unfilled cabins without having to lower prices on their website.

Thanks Dave, I can not find the 2900 any more. The 16 day with port and grats, comes in at about $7500 pp $469 pp/pd O is doing a similar in 2019 for 12 days at 325.00 pp/pd on Marina. The AZAMARA cruise looked great but not almost $150 a day difference and on a lesser ship as well ( O vs Az) . I am booked for 2019 so must look at 2020

Must lines do so few Norway trips I am trying to get to the Loften islands I may bite the bullet and take the ferry and pack some cans of chili ( like Walt Disney used to do) I love the scenery I hate the food there. Lots of folks screaming about the pricing... I know.

I just looked it up for you on Cruise Timetables. Gravdal is the port for the islands. Silversea, Princess, Crystal, Viking Ocean, etc. all stop there. I saw some cruises thru 2020. Hope this helps.

Have you looked at Hurtigruten?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, its a little too much for nothing, marginal food, minimal cabin, a bit to austere . Yes it hits the nice places but beyond that offers nothing but a bed a shower and a toilet out of the rain. Great for back packers but I need a tad more than bare bones for my bones.

Thanks Grandma.....east Yorkshire I used to spent a lot of time in West Yorkshire Settles, Kingsdale and Dent....cheers

I believe 2020 has been released for Viking!

Thanks for the suggestion....Based on the reviews Viking is way over priced hype has an austere and sterile atmosphere. with a high opinion of it's self. Lots of negative comments in reviews. as to these points it looks like a river cruise at sea ( I hate river cruises)

Thanks I appreciate your suggestion,

I just looked it up for you on Cruise Timetables. Gravdal is the port for the islands. Silversea, Princess, Crystal, Viking Ocean, etc. all stop there. I saw some cruises thru 2020. Hope this helps.

Thanks I will look them up what attracted me to Azamara was the ship size, I line ships under 1000. and loathe the sea monsters they are now sailing with almost 6000 passengers, and are now 50% larger than the largest US Navy's Aircraft carrier !!! Thanks for the info

There has been quite a bit of commentary about Azamara’s pricing strategy. Perhaps they think demand is inelastic, but most of us are very price elastic and are looking at other cruise lines. I have received discounted offers on various Azamara cruises from an American cruise consolidator who adds airfare and other considerations to the offer. This is one of the places that Azamara dumps their unfilled cabins without having to lower prices on their website.

I do not know where you are but here in the USA we have agents who will book you at any time , not waiting for a "dump" from the line a year or more or a day or more before the cruise AND will give you on board credits, and extras PLUS a discount or cash rebate ( whichever you prefer ) off what ever cruise fare you choose. These agents are not cruise consolidators but have brick and moarter as well as Internet access. I would never ever consider booking direct with a line, ever.

Thanks for the suggestion....Based on the reviews Viking is way over priced hype has an austere and sterile atmosphere. with a high opinion of it's self. Lots of negative comments in reviews. as to these points it looks like a river cruise at sea ( I hate river cruises)

Think you should at least consider Viking Dan.

Having done one Viking cruise and many Azamara cruises as well as Oceania Marina, I can tell you that in my opinion Viking is certainly up there with them ...if not actually beating them!

The food is great, speciality restaurants are free, the ships are simply stunning with beautiful modern Scandinavian decor, all cabins are Veranda at least, with big bathrooms, underfloor heating and huge power showers. The suites are really impressive. They include some really good shorex for free and even those that are paid for are considerably less expensive than either Oceania or Azamara....we usually do private tours but tried two Viking shorex and they were really good, both in value for money and the actual excursion organisation and quality. Both Azamara and Oceania could learn a thing or two from Viking in that respect.

The one weakness we found on Viking was the entertainment. Most people were in bed by 10 pm and the ship was quiet. Not dissimilar to Oceania actually! 😄

One really lovely surprise for us was how friendly the Viking crew were. I would say right up there with the Azamara crew in fact.... and they are the best crews at sea. 😄

Much as I love Azamara, I can't wait for my next Viking cruise. In fact I'm looking at the itineraries for 2019 right now.

Each to his own. I know that you like Oceania. We have had only one cruise with them but would not rush to return. We like Azamara and have a .B2B booked this June. Bit worried about some of the negatives posted recently - but we shall see. Have our third Viking booked over the New Year. They certainly do not have an austere or sterile atmosphere - quite the reverse in fact. Beautiful uncrowded ships. Comfortable and welcoming. Friendly and smiling crew. Nothing is too much trouble. Excellent food. Lovely cabins, with beautiful bathrooms, even at the lowest classification. Great Spa. 'Hygge' at its best.

Don't knock it until you have tried it !

Each to his own. I know that you like Oceania. We have had only one cruise with them but would not rush to return. We like Azamara and have a .B2B booked this June. Bit worried about some of the negatives posted recently - but we shall see. Have our third Viking booked over the New Year. They certainly do not have an austere or sterile atmosphere - quite the reverse in fact. Beautiful uncrowded ships. Comfortable and welcoming. Friendly and smiling crew. Nothing is too much trouble. Excellent food. Lovely cabins, with beautiful bathrooms, even at the lowest classification. Great Spa. 'Hygge' at its best.

Don't knock it until you have tried it !

Thanks for your input.... I am steering away from Azamara as I just saw that they were charging almost 9600 for an inside July 1.... that is just plain GREED. Glad you like Viking it is too austere for my taste as seen from photos and reading passenger reviews. I am not a fan of Scandinavian style However I am glad you enjoyed them What is Hygge??? never heard of them? Thanks again for all. and to all.

Totally agree with Lottie, took our first Viking Ocean cruise over Christmas and it is a formidable competitor for AZ, was a better value for the price paid (quite a bit less per diem than AZ) and we loved the ships just gorgeous and very carefully "curated" with lovely knickknacks and amenities, did not find it in any way austere. Spa and indoor pools and outdoor infinity pool just gorgeous. Ships better than AZ for a cool weather cruise because of more indoor spaces. Quieter than AZ at night and entertainment weak. We love AZ but with all the changes and the mounting prices I'm sure we will be sailing Viking more in the future.

Have you looked at Hurtigruten?

Thanks....After hours of research and matching my wants and needs and the ports I wanted I have decided that I can take a Hurtigen 12 day cruise, Hotels, Taxi, Rt LAX to Oslo, Rt train Oslo to Bergen and all extras I want in Hurtigruten for under $6000 total. Sailing solo it would have cost me almost $ 16,500 on Azamara, including all the things I would do with Hurtigruten and $14,700 on other lines and I would have seen 50% less of Norway !!

So....thanks I will save $9000 to 10,000 . That's pretty hard to ignore that giving up some fancy bars and meals and being my own entertainment is very doable

Thanks again

We’ve looked at Hurtigruten several times. The idea of being on what is really a ferry with some nicer cabins added has some attractions - being able to see the comings and goings in lots of different ports looks fascinating. I hope you enjoy it - and come back and tell us about it afterwards.

We’ve looked at Hurtigruten several times. The idea of being on what is really a ferry with some nicer cabins added has some attractions - being able to see the comings and goings in lots of different ports looks fascinating. I hope you enjoy it - and come back and tell us about it afterwards.

I will but wont cruise till 2020, I will enjoy it I have sailed everything from cruising sailboats and navy destroyers to ultra lux lines. I enjoyed my self on each. I can be just as happy with a chili dog and a beer as in a Michelin 3***.

I will enjoy everything even more with $10,000 more in my wallet. AND I just found out that if I book in Nkr on the Norwegian site that the prices are 30% cheaper than on the US site !!! AND include free rt air Oslo-Bergen-Oslo for another $2000 savings!!!! making that a $12,000 savings over others