Beverage Package worth it?

Hi - looking for some guidance on the beverage packages... how many alcoholic drinks (on average) would you need to consume per day to have the beverage package worth it? I haven't been on a cruise in 10 years, so not sure what the average cost is per drink. my husband and I would typically have a few gin and tonics at night, and maybe a cocktail or 2 during the day, but not sure if that would equal the $42 pp/per day alcoholic package?? looking for some help. thanks friends!

Cocktails Run about $10 to $12 or $13 depending on ship. Most blender cocktails are $12-$13. Beers $7 or $8. All drinks are +18% service charge. So if you are a Mixed drink drinker, and the price of your beverage package is $42, you will brake even with your 4th drink.

dp

I’ve seen a lot of posts saying 6-7 alcoholic drinks is the break wvwn. But one person explained it a different way that I liked. They said to think of it this way: the refreshment package costs $26, that gets you bottled water, specialty coffees, soda and non alcoholic mixed drinks (like piña coladas). For $16 extra dollars, you can get unlimited alcohol. $16 is just really 1-2 alcoholic drinks. So if you would buy the refreshment package anyway for the coffee, soda and water, and you know you’ll have about 2 alcoholic drinks or more a day, it’s a very good value.

That sounds more reasonable to me than thinking of it in terms of $42 worth of alcohol drinking a day, which can seem excessive to someone who isn’t a big drinker. I myself would still not get value out of the alcohol package because 2 drinks 7 days in a row is more alcohol than I drink in a whole year, but it is a very reasonable number for most people.

Basically what I’m saying is to think of the alcohol package as costing you $16 for the alcohol. For a lot of people, that is definitely worth it as long as you also drink the stuff covered in the non-alcohol portion on a daily basis too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi - looking for some guidance on the beverage packages... how many alcoholic drinks (on average) would you need to consume per day to have the beverage package worth it? I haven't been on a cruise in 10 years, so not sure what the average cost is per drink. my husband and I would typically have a few gin and tonics at night, and maybe a cocktail or 2 during the day, but not sure if that would equal the $42 pp/per day alcoholic package?? looking for some help. thanks friends!

You need to remember the package also includes soda, bottled water, specialty coffee, fresh squeezed juice, etc. also discounts on bottles of wine.

Depending on the ship, beer $6-8; basic mixed drinks $8-10; frozen drinks $12-14; wine $8 and up. Also add automatic 18% gratuity to the drink prices.

Only you can decide what works for you. Sounds like you would benefit from the package. Packages can vary in price and do go on sale. If you book a package and then find it cheaper you can cancel and re-book.

In September, we paid around $9 for beer, $14 for cocktails and $11 for mixed drinks (all including tax/grats). We drink water, coffee and juice available in WJ, etc. so those were not a cost factor for us. For us, it would cost more for the package, but we are maybe a 2-3 drink/day/person max. Enjoy your cruise.

It sounds like based on what you said that the answer is yes, it's worth it for you.

A few gin and tonics and perhaps 2 cocktails will easily be around $42 a day. (9+9+12+12).

Now remove the money part of the decision....how would you like to try some new cocktails that you never tried before? Ever wonder if you would like that drink of the day? How about a Latte after dinner? Or just a little Prosecco while walking around deck? Do you eat breakfast int he main dining room as fresh squeeze orange juice could really make it a great morning.

Point is that this decision is more than just about money, it's about freedom to try new things...I would never ever have ordered the wasabi cucumber martini because like....what? But I did...did I like it...for about half of the drink but at least I got to try it.

Do a beverage package once and then you will know if it works for you. For us it makes it almost like an all inclusive vacation without the worry.

I’ve seen a lot of posts saying 6-7 alcoholic drinks is the break wvwn. But one person explained it a different way that I liked. They said to think of it this way: the refreshment package costs $26, that gets you bottled water, specialty coffees, soda and non alcoholic mixed drinks (like piña coladas). For $16 extra dollars, you can get unlimited alcohol. $16 is just really 1-2 alcoholic drinks. So if you would buy the refreshment package anyway for the coffee, soda and water, and you know you’ll have about 2 alcoholic drinks or more a day, it’s a very good value.

That sounds more reasonable to me than thinking of it in terms of $42 worth of alcohol drinking a day, which can seem excessive to someone who isn’t a big drinker. I myself would still not get value out of the alcohol package because 2 drinks 7 days in a row is more alcohol than I drink in a whole year, but it is a very reasonable number for most people.

Basically what I’m saying is to think of the alcohol package as costing you $16 for the alcohol. For a lot of people, that is definitely worth it as long as you also drink the stuff covered in the non-alcohol portion on a daily basis too.

I know I had asked the same question. And all I heard was that you’d have to drink 6-7 drinks a day. It didn’t seem like anyone was taking into consideration the cost of the refreshment package...bottled water sparkling/flat, Coca Cola, Vitamin Water, juices and lattes. Which is also part of the alcohol drink package. Thanks for sharing this[emoji41]

We assumed that without the package we would drink beer or cheap cocktails which at a LOW price would be $8 each, plus tip so we rounded based on looking at menus posted on CC that an alcoholic drink would cost us about $10. We figured we could easily do 4 a day (two during the day and two at night). That right there was almost the package price. Then you add in bottles of water, soda, OJ, coffee etc and it really sealed the deal for us.

It sounds like based on what you said that the answer is yes, it's worth it for you.

A few gin and tonics and perhaps 2 cocktails will easily be around $42 a day. (9+9+12+12).

Now remove the money part of the decision....how would you like to try some new cocktails that you never tried before? Ever wonder if you would like that drink of the day? How about a Latte after dinner? Or just a little Prosecco while walking around deck? Do you eat breakfast int he main dining room as fresh squeeze orange juice could really make it a great morning.

Point is that this decision is more than just about money, it's about freedom to try new things...I would never ever have ordered the wasabi cucumber martini because like....what? But I did...did I like it...for about half of the drink but at least I got to try it.

Do a beverage package once and then you will know if it works for you. For us it makes it almost like an all inclusive vacation without the worry.

This explanation is totally why I have loved having the package my last two sailings. I try new drinks I wouldn't have otherwise and found new things I liked.

I would also say to look at how port intensive the cruise is. If it is long days in port where you won't be on the ship much, something to keep in mind. I would say even on the days that I was in port for long hours, I still got my money's worth. Based on how much you said you two would drink, I don't think you will feel like you overpaid by getting the package.

This explanation is totally why I have loved having the package my last two sailings. I try new drinks I wouldn't have otherwise and found new things I liked.

I would also say to look at how port intensive the cruise is. If it is long days in port where you won't be on the ship much, something to keep in mind. I would say even on the days that I was in port for long hours, I still got my money's worth. Based on how much you said you two would drink, I don't think you will feel like you overpaid by getting the package.

I think OP should consider more than just the number of ports, but what they want to do. A ship could be in port for 13 hours, but if you only plan to spend eight, or five, or one hour off the ship there...it's practically a sea day. Even with an eight hour stay, like you said, it could still be realistic to get your money's worth between breakfast and dinner + after dinner drinks.

Some have no interest in bottled water, sodas or specialty coffees, so if that's you, it's only the cost of alcoholic drinks you need to factor in. If you're on a port-heavy itinerary, you may not get as much use from the package as you would on a sea day.

Last week I went on my very first cruise ever and it was with Royal. I read up all I could beforehand including the "is it worth it for the beverage package" debate. For me - I like to prepay anything I can for a couple of reasons but the main one being so that my brain can relax on vacation. What I mean is - even if I have the money available to buy the more expensive drink, the way my brain works is I go for the cheaper drink all the time. I like to save money - but that's just me. Therefore, I wouldn't have been as adventurous if I didn't do the drink package. We followed the advice and got it on sale. I tried so many different drinks that I fell in love with that I am kicking myself for not taking pictures of the ingredients. A gin drink in the Champagne Bar, the Champagne Cocktail in the Schooner Bar and actually one of the drinks of the day (it was tropical I know that). Even on my port intensive cruise (Adventure - Southern Route), I found myself getting a drink or two in the Solarium in the afternoon (once back on the ship) and then another 1 or 2 after dinner. And being able to get bottles of water as you get off at the port was a life saver on those hot days. We did have to get a couple of drinks refunded back (MDR - looking at you) but I really enjoyed the freedom of drinking what I wanted when I wanted. And if my beer got warm while in the pool/hot tub - I simply got another. We have booked our next cruise already and will definitely get the drink package again. Now to get it at $41 or $42 a person per day...

Last week I went on my very first cruise ever and it was with Royal. I read up all I could beforehand including the "is it worth it for the beverage package" debate. For me - I like to prepay anything I can for a couple of reasons but the main one being so that my brain can relax on vacation. What I mean is - even if I have the money available to buy the more expensive drink, the way my brain works is I go for the cheaper drink all the time. I like to save money - but that's just me. Therefore, I wouldn't have been as adventurous if I didn't do the drink package. We followed the advice and got it on sale. I tried so many different drinks that I fell in love with that I am kicking myself for not taking pictures of the ingredients. A gin drink in the Champagne Bar, the Champagne Cocktail in the Schooner Bar and actually one of the drinks of the day (it was tropical I know that). Even on my port intensive cruise (Adventure - Southern Route), I found myself getting a drink or two in the Solarium in the afternoon (once back on the ship) and then another 1 or 2 after dinner. And being able to get bottles of water as you get off at the port was a life saver on those hot days. We did have to get a couple of drinks refunded back (MDR - looking at you) but I really enjoyed the freedom of drinking what I wanted when I wanted. And if my beer got warm while in the pool/hot tub - I simply got another. We have booked our next cruise already and will definitely get the drink package again. Now to get it at $41 or $42 a person per day...

I am like you. Our first cruise was just my wife and I, and we both had the package. I got my money's worth, but figured I would try without this last time. I ordered one drink, and while I liked it, thought it was expensive and didn't order any more the entire cruise. While the vacation wasn't ruined, had I ordered the package, I definitely would have had more, but just did not want to spend extra money.

My wife and I are both 2-3 drinks a day people and we have never purchased a package and always came out ahead. However, I don't worry about the numbers until after the vacation is over, I figure if I don't come out ahead it's no big deal.

Here is a spreadsheet to help determine if it is a good value for you.

Beverage Program Calculation.xls