Ocean Medallion

babs135

How do you know if you will be using an Ocean Medallion or not? We are booked on the Regal Princess 7 nights out of Fort Lauderdale on the 23rd December and our ta says we will not have an *****.

Thanks in advance

They will send you an email in advance . When I was on it, the cabins that were in the pilot were forward on high ( Lido / Marina etc. So depending on your cabin you may or may not have it .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They will send you an email in advance . When I was on it, the cabins that were in the pilot were forward on high ( Lido / Marina etc. So depending on your cabin you may or may not have it .

How soon do they inform you? We actually start our holiday two weeks earlier and may or may not pick up any email. Don't have a cabin yet, holding a gty.

How soon do they inform you? We actually start our holiday two weeks earlier and may or may not pick up any email. Don't have a cabin yet, holding a gty.

About a month before as they will ask i you want the medals sent to you a week before or if you want it at the pier . If you have it ahead of time it will speed up your check in process if you have set up the account etc.

About a month before as they will ask i you want the medals sent to you a week before or if you want it at the pier . If you have it ahead of time it will speed up your check in process if you have set up the account etc.

Thanks for that. Guess that if it is offered we will have no choice but to wait until we get to the pier. Is there anything we could do beforehand to speed things up or do we really have to wait until we get the medallion?

There are some apps you can download and I have to find the link for the setup of your profile . You actually do not need the actual device to do any of it as the information is never loaded onto it . It just pulls the data from their server . So yes you can do a lot in advance and without it in hand. Having it confirms you can actually link to your specific cruise .

Thanks for that. Guess that if it is offered we will have no choice but to wait until we get to the pier. Is there anything we could do beforehand to speed things up or do we really have to wait until we get the medallion?

Statistically you are unlikely to have the ***** as it is on well less than half the ship. I would not worry regarding it. If you end up in a medallion room they will set you up as needed. Whether it will function well is another story.

How do you know if you will be using an Ocean Medallion or not? We are booked on the Regal Princess 7 nights out of Fort Lauderdale on the 23rd December and our ta says we will not have an *****.

Thanks in advance

Will be on that cruise as well for the 14 nights how about you ?

We also have a GTY balcony cabin and will have to wait and see if we get *****.

At first when they announced the ***** project I was all happy as I thought Princess was kinda being innovative finally but they seem to have fail in this category once again.

Don’t get me wrong I love Princess on some aspects but we got to face the fact that this line is no more of a trend maker and more of an old trend follower.

I still can’t believe after all these months this ***** is still a mess.

Sea ya

ERIC

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are some apps you can download and I have to find the link for the setup of your profile . You actually do not need the actual device to do any of it as the information is never loaded onto it . It just pulls the data from their server . So yes you can do a lot in advance and without it in hand. Having it confirms you can actually link to your specific cruise .

I poseted links to the apps a while ago:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54535561&postcount=4

Most of the posted experiences have been dismal. People spending lots of time

trying to get their booking id recognized; customer support giving up, etc.

This is people at home, preparing for their cruise.

Here is a thread about their experiences:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2621739

Thanks in advance

The odds are greatly against you having a medallion stateroom as there were only 110 rooms that were Medallion equipped back at the start of the testing phase and that was back in November and I don't believe that the numer has gone up since then. It wasn't really that big a thing I didn't think, althought it was an interesting experience. Caught my wife by surprise when she walked into one of the shops on the ship wearing her Medallion and one of the salespeople called her by name. She looked at them and said she didn't recognise them and did he remember her from a previous cruise. He told her that his Medalion sensor on the counter told him her name. :p

Tom

Thanks in advance

Basically, when you get on and they do or do not hand you one as

you board. :')

Less likely than not, because they've moved the ***** team over to

the Caribbean Princess while the Regal is in the Baltic Sea. BUT

I suspect they will move them back to the Regal after her westbound

trans-Atlantic, and they might get lucky before Dec.

I'd not sweat it. It's a toy for pax. It's really a tool for ship

operations, and the hype is to get pax to wear it.

Basically, when you get on and they do or do not hand you one as

you board. .

Basically, that's wrong.

There have been plenty of report of people receiving the medallions at home, in preperation

for their trip.

Basically, that's wrong.

There have been plenty of report of people receiving the medallions at home, in preparation for their trip.

Indeed. But folks also get handed them at the pier, so you won't know for

sure that you're out of luck until you board without having one handed to

you then.

If you don't get handed one, here's a consoling thought: Unless you've

got a kid or a teen to keep an electronic leash on (assuming they don't

--uhm-- lose them), they're really a tool for ship operations and only a

toy for pax. The hype is to get us to wear the things.

If you're trying to figure out whether or not you've got a Medallion stateroom, when we were on the Regal back in November, we were in a Medallion stateroom and I believe it was in Marina 322 but I'm not sure. It was also the most forward (or within 1 or 2 of the most forwad) of the ones on that deck. Never looked at other decks to see if the ones I those were in the same numbered rooms or not but it would seem that would probably be a logical assumption. I don't know how many decks had Medallion rooms activated either but with only 110 rooms active, it would make sense that they would also be on probably 22 cabins of 5 decks to yield 110 rooms.

Tom

There are some apps you can download

From what I've read, it's these side aps that are the issue. The main Princess ap is for your ID, cabin key, location sensors on ship and possible folio charges. I know there are at least three side aps dealing with gambling in one form or another. the issue is these "outside" aps interact with the Princess ap, not linked to folio.

The original claim was the ability to do ALL registration at home using *****. The idea was to photo your ID/passport using and link image on line with account. Medallion delivered to home where it somehow linked to WiFi or Bluetooth and down loaded to your individual Medallion. Arriving at pier you were to walk directly on board dealing only with security check. I can think of only a few hundred things that could cause a problem.

Hardware has to be upgraded each cabin. Door lock changed and possibly hardwired, sensors along all hallways and per ads TV is touch screen to order drinks, room service to be delivered anywhere on ship and to make reservations as done on DINE phone. I can only imagine this is done in blocks of cabins on embarkation day.

I poseted links to the apps a while ago:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54535561&postcount=4

Most of the posted experiences have been dismal. People spending lots of time

trying to get their booking id recognized; customer support giving up, etc.

This is people at home, preparing for their cruise.

Here is a thread about their experiences:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2621739

Any apps for the IPhone?

Tom😎

The original claim was the ability to do ALL registration at home using *****. The idea was to photo your ID/passport using and link image on line with account. Medallion delivered to home where it somehow linked to WiFi or Bluetooth and down loaded to your individual Medallion. Arriving at pier you were to walk directly on board dealing only with security check. I can think of only a few hundred things that could cause a problem.

Nothing is downloaded to your *****. It just has an ID number that is accessed by the sensors on board.

All information you set up from home is loaded onto the ship's computers and is tagged with your ***** number. When, for example, you are being scanned coming onto or going off of the ship, the scanning device sends you ***** number to the ship's computer system and then any needed information is sent back to the scanning device. Same way the current cruise card works.

I have been on the Regal twice in January and again in April. No progress with *****. At M&M of 250 of CC members senior officers simply said it doesn’t work. This was verified by the people in the one muster station. Work will resume in the Fall on the Regal. Next up for trial is Caribbean Princess. As one officer put it it was invented in a large concrete building and doesn’t work in a large metal building. I have read countless technical explanations but that was the clearest. It was invented for Gen X and young folk and implemented by a guy from Disney...since these groups apparently want personal experiences...they forgot their customer base is baby boomers who care less if they are greeted by name at their door. The fact is it rarely works and they have spent tens if not hundreds of millions on it and marketing. Mike

The new high speed Internet is great in North America but doesn’t work in Europe due to satellite problems. This is not part of ***** but separate and they are now trying to conflate it so they don’t have a PR disaster...but stay in North America if you want to use it. Various technical posts on this but as one said Princess is going to have to launch their own satellite in Europe if they want it to work there. Mike

Are you guys suggesting that the Satellites in Europe are all totally separate, and different, and non-compatible with the Satellite systems we currently use here in the U.S.

Why can I not really believe or wrap my mind around this.

It has been a 'Global' world for a long time now.

PS: We will be on the Regal when it returns to the U.S. I had thought it might be neat to have *****.

(Agreed, that I do not HAVE to have this and think it is more hoopla and perks than real true benefit.)

Wow.... Might not be fully operational even then.