No Boarding Pass, No Luggage Tags, No Problem!

Hawaiian

I find it highly amusing that people seem to be freaking out over not having printed boarding passes. I just finished reading the other thread with over 200 replies. Why all the fuss? I just sailed the 14 night Transatlantic on the Koningsdam. I arrived at Port Everglades without any luggage tags. The porter asked me what my cabin was and I told him. He wrote down my cabin number on a tag that he held in his hand, he then attached it to my bag and off I went. I proceeded indoors to check in without a printed boarding pass. I got in line, made it to the check in desk, handed over my passport, received my stateroom key, and boarded the ship without any problems. If you have checked in online, they have what they need to get you on your way. They are not going to deny boarding to you just because you don't have a paper boarding pass. Relax people. Have another cocktail! :D

The porter asked me what my cabin was and I told him. He wrote down my cabin number on a tag that he held in his hand, he then attached it to my bag and off I went.
I'm surprised he took your word for it and didn't check his manifest, since people sometimes learn of upgrades at check-in after the bags are long gone. Of course the same thing can happen when you do have pre-printed tags, but still I'm surprised he didn't check.

I find it highly amusing that people seem to be freaking out over not having printed boarding passes. I just finished reading the other thread with over 200 replies. Why all the fuss? I just sailed the 14 night Transatlantic on the Koningsdam. I arrived at Port Everglades without any luggage tags. The porter asked me what my cabin was and I told him. He wrote down my cabin number on a tag that he held in his hand, he then attached it to my bag and off I went. I proceeded indoors to check in without a printed boarding pass. I got in line, made it to the check in desk, handed over my passport, received my stateroom key, and boarded the ship without any problems. If you have checked in online, they have what they need to get you on your way. They are not going to deny boarding to you just because you don't have a paper boarding pass. Relax people. Have another cocktail! :D

Spot on.

Cruise Critic is slowly becoming Cruise Complainer.

You use to be able to ask a question and get one or two responses. Now you get page after page of the same answer with a slightly different perspective. People don't read what already is posted. Then someone takes umbrage over a phrase or statement and the pages start to roll. Eventually the moderator steps in and closes the thread.

But it's sometimes very entertaining.

Very interesting.

As we entered the terminal, we were asked to show our passport and boarding pass before we even made it upstairs. I preferred to have everything in order as they suggest rather than seeing what I can get by with it. But that’s just me.

I find it highly amusing that people seem to be freaking out over not having printed boarding passes. I just finished reading the other thread with over 200 replies. Why all the fuss? I just sailed the 14 night Transatlantic on the Koningsdam. I arrived at Port Everglades without any luggage tags. . I proceeded indoors to check in without a printed boarding pass. They are not going to deny boarding to you just because you don't have a paper boarding pass. Relax people. Have another cocktail! :D

(portions of the above deleted)

I am curious - every time we have sailed from Port Everglades, we have had to show our printed boarding pass in order to get in the building. What did they do to let you in?

Very interesting.

As we entered the terminal, we were asked to show our passport and boarding pass before we even made it upstairs. I preferred to have everything in order as they suggest rather than seeing what I can get by with it. But that’s just me.

I feel the way you do. I would rather be prepared. If they don't need it, so be it, and we get on without it.

I am curious - every time we have sailed from Port Everglades, we have had to show our printed boarding pass in order to get in the building. What did they do to let you in?

He asked me if I had a boarding pass and I apologized and told him that I didn't but that I was checked in. I showed him my passport, I proceeded through the security checkpoint, filled out my health questionnaire, and then proceeded to the check in line. The check in attendant did not ask me for my boarding pass when I handed her my passport.

I am not advocating that everyone show up at the port without a boarding pass or luggage tags! I am only suggesting that you shouldn't fret over not having them, and I certainly wouldn't pay $25.00 to have them sent to me.

My printer was out of ink and so I just left home without them, and there were no negative consequences.

Moral of the story, showing up at the port prepared is always a good thing but it's not the end of the world if for whatever reason you don't have a boarding pass or luggage tags. You will still sail!

We have sailed out of FLL 10 times and were only asked for a boarding pass at the terminal door twice. For one of those times DD rummaged around in her purse and couldn't find hers but three of us had them, so after a couple of minutes the guard just said "go ahead".

The last couple of times we left from Port Everglades, we had to show our boarding passes at the port entrance before our taxi was allowed in. Maybe our drivers just looked sketchy, I don't know!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

He asked me if I had a boarding pass and I apologized and told him that I didn't but that I was checked in. I showed him my passport, I proceeded through the security checkpoint, filled out my health questionnaire, and then proceeded to the check in line. The check in attendant did not ask me for my boarding pass when I handed her my passport.

I am not advocating that everyone show up at the port without a boarding pass or luggage tags! I am only suggesting that you shouldn't fret over not having them, and I certainly wouldn't pay $25.00 to have them sent to me.

My printer was out of ink and so I just left home without them, and there were no negative consequences.

Moral of the story, showing up at the port prepared is always a good thing but it's not the end of the world if for whatever reason you don't have a boarding pass or luggage tags. You will still sail!

On point! I have never heard of a case where someone was denied entrance to the port or prevented from embarking because they lacked some documentation. A sure fire law suit if something like that happened. What is frustrating to me is having to answer some of the same questions by the embarkation clerk as I completed on the online check in forms.

When ever we go by the porrt Everglades guard shack in a taxi they always look a t drivers' i ID and our passports and boarding pass.

Agree completely. Cruise lines are not in the business of denying boarding for unimportant reasons. No passport would be a different matter.

He took them Hawaiian Host Whole Macadamia Nut Chocolates.

The last couple of times we left from Port Everglades, we had to show our boarding passes at the port entrance before our taxi was allowed in. Maybe our drivers just looked sketchy, I don't know!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Or perhaps you looked sketchy, as this is normally not an issue. :o

We’ve been asked to show passports entering a terminal or port area. All they wanted was a quick wave of the passports.

We have never been asked for boarding documents at the check in counter. All they want is a credit card and passport.

We’ve also filled out luggage tags at the port, they are readily available.

We last sailed on April 18 and this is the most thorough the people near the door have been. They asked to see our boarding passes and scrutinized them.

Why make life difficult for someone who is doing their job? Be prepared, print it off and produce it when asked. It’s the decent thing to do. IMO, of course.

Edited by ithaca gal

We last sailed on April 18 and this is the thorough the people near the door have been. They asked to see our boarding passes and scrutinized it.

Why make life difficult for someone who is doing their job? Be prepared, print it off and produce it when asked. It’s the decent thing to do. IMO, of course.

Why? Because in this day and age it's ridiculous to have to print out a paper copy of a pass. I cannot get on the ship without a boarding card that the agent gives me after I show them my valid passport. The agent has never needed nor asked to see the boarding pass. Everything else has been entered into their system. HAL needs to get into the 21 Century and see how other lines make embarkation smooth and way less complicated.

We last sailed on April 18 and this is the most thorough the people near the door have been. They asked to see our boarding passes and scrutinized them.

Please tell me who I made life difficult for? I showed my passport and was handed my key. I was at the check in desk for less than one minute. The porter was very happy with the gratuity he received from me. I was prepared. I was prepared to have a great time on the Koningsdam and I did!

You do not need a boarding pass. You can show them the papers with your cruise info (your docs) if they ask. Boarding pass is a waste of paper. They don’t ask for it or need it at the check in counter. They scan your passport and wa la! All of your info is in the computer. They hand you your room key which is your real boarding pass. You are on. Have fun!