HELP! Cancelling the Day Before the Cruise

HELP! We are all set to go and my friend sends me a text and says she can't go on

my daughter's graduation cruise that me, her, the graduate and her sister are going on.

We leave tomorrow out of Mobile.

My question is, if I find someone to replace her and the person that cancelled has

insurance, how will that work? The cruise is already paid for and is non-refundable so

would the new person just get to go for free basically and the person who cancelled

have to try and recoup their money through their insurance?

Anyone know? I can't believe this is happening - we've been looking forward

to this for so long!

She will forfeit 100% of the cruise fare to Carnival and any money will need to be recouped from the insurance. Cancelling her on the booking may also change the cruise fare for whomever is sharing a cabin with her because if there are only 2 people, it will change the rate to double (and even though she's forfeiting her fare to Carnival, that money doesn't roll over to the next person).

Like the previous poster, I strongly recommend you call Carnival right now and talk to them.

I dont think carnival will let you switch the person out when your leaving on the cruise tomorrow and if they do your friend can't get refunded because technically somebody took her spot - Honestly think the best bet would be to have her be a no show and have her deal with trying to get a refund later for her insurance hopefully her excuse is covered

So, you want to substitute someone and have your daughter get a refund. Sounds nice.

No one said anything about the daughter getting a refund.

The OP wants to know if the cancelled person will get the refund through insurance.

Also, no one stated anything about the cruise line issuing a credit/refund, either. FYI.

She will forfeit 100% of the cruise fare to Carnival and any money will need to be recouped from the insurance. Cancelling her on the booking may also change the cruise fare for whomever is sharing a cabin with her because if there are only 2 people, it will change the rate to double (and even though she's forfeiting her fare to Carnival, that money doesn't roll over to the next person).

Like the previous poster, I strongly recommend you call Carnival right now and talk to them.

Most insurance companies have a 48 hour cancellation policy, don't they? Even if the reason is covered, the timing doesn't seem to fit with the insurance parameters.

I would highly recommend calling Carnival to figure this one out. Not knowing what type of fate and restrictions you booked under, it’s hard to give you accurate information.

In the past (and not using early saver or other more restrictive fares),we were able to do name changes at the last minute for a fee. The only caveat was that one of the original names in the booking had to remain (in other words, if it was a cabin for 3, we could only change 2 names and then the original person that remained in the booking would be a “no show”).

As far as your friend getting a refund for canceling, it’s going to depend on a) what kind of insurance she has, and b) what are her reasons for canceling. I wouldn’t hold my breath for a full refund unless the cancelation is for covered reasons and she’s canceling within her policy’s allowed time frame.

Hope it all gets sorted out soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HELP! We are all set to go and my friend sends me a text and says she can't go on

my daughter's graduation cruise that me, her, the graduate and her sister are going on.

My question is, if I find someone to replace her and the person that cancelled has

insurance, how will that work? The cruise is already paid for and is non-refundable so

would the new person just get to go for free basically and the person who cancelled

to this for so long!

Didn't you just upgrade this to a suite? Is that why your friend is cancelling? The additional cost? IF yes, your friend won't get a refund from insurance.

This is truly lousy. You mentioned in the other post that you waited to accept the suite because you had to clear the additional money with your friend. And now this ... seemingly.

But as others have said DO NOT CANCEL THIS PERSON. Even when/if you call Carnival, DO NOT CANCEL HER. Just ask using hypothetical questions. Letting your friend be a no show is better.

Didn't you just upgrade this to a suite? Is that why your friend is cancelling? The additional cost? IF yes, your friend won't get a refund from insurance.

This is truly lousy. You mentioned in the other post that you waited to accept the suite because you had to clear the additional money with your friend. And now this ... seemingly.

But as others have said DO NOT CANCEL THIS PERSON. Even when/if you call Carnival, DO NOT CANCEL HER. Just ask using hypothetical questions. Letting your friend be a no show is better.

YES we did just upgrade on Monday and she was good with it and even paid her part of the upgrade. I can't believe

she waited until today to cancel on me.

We tried to find someone to take her place but at such late notice no one can get off work or out of their other

obligations which really sucks!

Oh well, I guess she will have to file with insurance and see if they will reimburse her any of her cruise fare.

Looks like it will just be the 3 of us - Mom and oldest 2 daughters. That's ok though - this bonding time

will be good for us.

Oh by the way, I did contact my PVP and he said he could do a name change but there would be some type

of fee associated with it if I found someone to go.

The name change fee is nominal like $25 or $50, if you can find someone to go this is the cheapest way unless the person thinks their insurance would cover them cancelling.

sticky, i wouldnt be happy with my friend.

YES we did just upgrade on Monday and she was good with it and even paid her part of the upgrade. I can't believe

she waited until today to cancel on me.

We tried to find someone to take her place but at such late notice no one can get off work or out of their other

obligations which really sucks!

Oh well, I guess she will have to file with insurance and see if they will reimburse her any of her cruise fare.

Looks like it will just be the 3 of us - Mom and oldest 2 daughters. That's ok though - this bonding time

will be good for us.

Oh by the way, I did contact my PVP and he said he could do a name change but there would be some type

of fee associated with it if I found someone to go.

Note to self. Find new friend to go cruising with

to this for so long!

Did she pay for her portion? I wouldn't even worry about the money oi she did--she can deal with her consequences. Just show up and she is a no show--don't even tell them she isn't there

if both people have insurance the insurance protects the person from paying single supplement.

We cancelled my moms cruise the day before. She had insurance which gave her back her cruise fare. (Carnival had to give back the port and taxes. We found someone to take her place for 50.00 We did not book early savers for her.

If she is serious about cancelling you want to call ASAP both carnival and insirance people. hours means money loss.

I dont think carnival will let you switch the person out when your leaving on the cruise tomorrow and if they do your friend can't get refunded because technically somebody took her spot - Honestly think the best bet would be to have her be a no show and have her deal with trying to get a refund later for her insurance hopefully her excuse is covered

If she is a no show she gets no money back. You can not get a refund if you do not cancel.

if both people have insurance the insurance protects the person from paying single supplement.

We cancelled my moms cruise the day before. She had insurance which gave her back her cruise fare. (Carnival had to give back the port and taxes. We found someone to take her place for 50.00 We did not book early savers for her.

If she is serious about cancelling you want to call ASAP both carnival and insirance people. hours means money loss.

There are still 3 people in the suite. NO single supplement.

NO, do not call & cancel prior to arrival. Leave your friend as a no show.

Unfortunately, it is your friends job to deal with HER insurance and since it's less than 48 hours to cruising, she won't (most likely), get a refund. That is not your problem. This is on her.

Yeah, so your "firend" is in agreement, even with an upgraded suite to which she pays, but now wants to bow out and YOU are doing all the work for her? Absurd.

You've done enough. Time for your "friend" to step up. If she wants out so bad, she can deal with it. Sorry to sound harsh, but nothing about what's been said makes me believe this is nothing more than cold feet (for whatever reason) by your friend and you're trying to clean up after her.

Cancelling your friend in the eleventh hour like this could subject the rest of you to additional fees. I know this won't answer your question, but as someone who has had to deal with a couple similar scenarios in the last couple years, this is my advice: tell your friend you're going to miss her on the cruise, and that if she plans on making an insurance claim she needs to call the cruise line to cancel. Don't do it for her. If she actually follows through, be aware that you might be on the hook for extra charges, depending on all the variables involved. Other than that, do nothing--show up, check in, say you don't know when your friend is boarding (if they ask), and then enjoy your suite and your family time and have fun celebrating your daughter's accomplishment.

to this for so long!

This is easy. No, you cannot get someone else to go for free. The person who cancelled gets nothing back from the cruise line. If insurance covers anything is a matter between the person who bought the insurance and the insurance company.

A person cancelling the cruise at this point pays a penalty of 100% of the fare. You cannot let another person use that money. It has been forfeited and the cruise line keeps it for themself.

You will just have extra space in the cabin. Enjoy it.

Although just pulling a no-show is the best for those going on the cruise, I am pretty sure her insurance will treat a no show differently than a cancellation. It could cause her problems to do a no show . And, if the OP has increased costs, her insurance will (should) cover. But, it sounds like there are 4 in the cabin, so the cancellation should not cause an increase in fare for the remaining passengers.

Granted, OP might not be in a mood to do what’s best for the cancelling friend...

Sent from my iPad using Forums