Why doesn't Carnival have freestyle soda machines?

I loved using the freestyle soda machines with the unlimited soda package when we cruised on RCL and it made me wonder why Carnival doesn't go to that system as well.

We purchased Bottomless Bubbles on a previous Carnival cruise, but we've decided not to on our next cruise simply because we got tired of having to go to a bar and wait in line just to get a Coke. We would buy BB every single time if they had the freestyle machines, though.

Just seems like it would be more convenient for both bartenders and passengers.

after watching a couple of videos on youtube, on RCCL the cup has a RIFD chip on the bottom to activate the machine. Carnival will need to update their computer systems and cups for this system. costs toooo much money for little return

PITA to maintain and you don’t want to get behind me at one of those machines, lol. Takes me too long to get thru the choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There would be plenty of kids anxious to help teach you how to use the machine.

You’re too young to jump off the technology train already.

• Like 1

Not sure the passengers would know how to use and some people would probably share drinks. I loved them on Allure & Harmony. It's a great idea with tons of drink choices.

I loved using the freestyle soda machines with the unlimited soda package when we cruised on RCL and it made me wonder why Carnival doesn't go to that system as well.

We purchased Bottomless Bubbles on a previous Carnival cruise, but we've decided not to on our next cruise simply because we got tired of having to go to a bar and wait in line just to get a Coke. We would buy BB every single time if they had the freestyle machines, though.

Just seems like it would be more convenient for both bartenders and passengers.

It's the same wait either in line at a bar or in line behind other people waiting to fill there cup and they can't decide what they want.

It's the same wait either in line at a bar or in line behind other people waiting to fill there cup and they can't decide what they want.

Why would you say it is the same wait? You have no idea. Try to go to one of those machines. People cannot figure it out or do not know what they want. At least with a bartender you get to order with a person.

Carnival has probably figured out (or believes) that people will drink less if they have to wait in line at a bar vs. if they can help themselves at a machine. Kinda like I'm less likely to get a soda refill or top-off at a fast food restaurant if I have to wait in line at the service counter vs. going to s self-service fountain.

The lost revenue from people like OP who won't buy the package because they don't want to in line for potentially bad service (because the bartender isn't getting tipped directly) is probably much less than the savings from people with the package drinking less and the capital costs of installing the machines and setting up the RIFD technology.

There would be plenty of kids anxious to help teach you how to use the machine.

You’re too young to jump off the technology train already.

I know how to use them, just takes forever going thru the screens even when I know what I want.

Simple - the additional investment.

They already have bartenders and equipment to serve perfectly good soda.

Bring on the machines at extra cost and manpower to install and maintain, while still needing those bartenders to serve CHEERS customers, is a bad economic decision.

Bring on the machines at extra cost and manpower to install and maintain, while still needing those bartenders to serve CHEERS customers, is a bad economic decision.

If that's the case, then why has Carnival installed beer taps (usuually located in the lido buffet area)?

Do Carnival bartenders fill your own personal mug with BB? If not then yes waiting each time at a bar for a BB would be a pain. The freestyle machines and the tumbler Royal uses gives you much more product. Carnival fills a small glass and they don't give you the can = much less soda or whatever. Plus Freestyle machines have so much more choice. HAL is using Freestyle machines now so it must be that Carnival see's this as more profit for them without the Freestyle machines.

Big NO vote here for those silly favor mixing boxes.

Would be much better to have a self serve fountain with a half dozen dispensers, like you see at every fast food restaurant.

I know Five Guys has always had these machines, Wendy's has moved to these machines, and either McDonalds or Burger King (can't remember which) is starting to move to them as well.

If that's the case, then why has Carnival installed beer taps (usuually located in the lido buffet area)?
Those beer sales are high-margin impulse and novelty sales (and not included in the Cheers package), vs. BB which is unlimited and for which the Freestyle machines (at least as RC has implemented them) wouldn't drive any incremental revenue (except for people like OP for whom the convenience factor is a deciding factor/dealbreaker).

Since the customer has already paid for BB, the harder Carnival makes it for the customer to use the less unlimited soda they will drink, thereby increasing Carnival's margin on BB. There's no incentive for Carnival to make it easier to consume more unlimited free soda when each serving only decreases their margin on BB.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Forums mobile app

While they are a novelty, and can give you options, I've read the complaints on the RCI board about how few machines there are, not necessarily in convenient locations, flavours out of stock and how often they breakdown. So how many, where, etc becomes the next complaint.

What about reusing the cups, look at all the complaints about how disgusting it is when people refill their own cups, even when it's not touching the nozzle, you must use a clean cup to fill from the machine and re-fill your own cup, etc.

These machines also need to be maintained/filled and cleaned often, otherwise the flavors cross. There's also more waste because people/kids get 'creative' and then don't like what they've concocted. A friend owns a place where they have one, hates it and is considering putting back the 'old-fashioned' dispenser.

I don't care for the machines, even the bar master cobra dispensers at the bars. They have very small capacity of many of the choices and they are always slopped up with sticky stuff, out of ice, dirty fill heads, computer failures, Co2 failures (leaks), and need a repairman on standby. Soft drinks in cans, however, are always mixed properly, taste as they should, are clean, and are simple to recycle.

Yeah, Carnival does not have 200 selections, but they have what most people want. If I need Mountain Dew or RC Cherry Cola I can carry it aboard.

If this is the reason, then wouldn't that also be true for RCL and HAL? Yet they both have the machines and plenty of bartenders.