Train Civitavechia to Rome Termini

travelberlin

Hi, we are trying to see what options we have from Civitavechia to Rome. Unfortunately the train schedule says not available for our dates in August 2018. Also only two connections are listed. Does anybody know if in August trains do not run that frequently between those two cities or how we can find more connections?

Ivi

Look at the train schedule 1 month from now. That won't change much from your actual dates. The official schedule does come out very far in advance, especially for the slower regional trains.

There are lots of trains every day from Civi to Rome.

Yes to what CruiserBruce says. Regional trains make up the bulk of the trains running from Civitavecchia to Rome. Their schedules aren't loaded very far in advance, but they don't change much season after season. In general there are trains to and from Rome about every 30 minutes or so for most of the day. Sometimes more often during "peak" hours or slightly fewer in less peak times.

Regional trains don't have assigned seating, so there's no reason to purchase a ticket online -- I assume that's why they don't load the schedules in advance.

You can pick a date in the upcoming week or two and look at the train times for a good idea of the schedule.

Adding a question if I may... Do you need to purchase your train ticket in advance, or can you do it day-of?

If you are going to use the regional trains, there's really no benefit to purchasing a ticket in advance. There is no assigned seating, and no limit on the number of tickets sold.

The only possible benefit would be to save the few seconds it takes to purchase them enroute to or at the train station.

Just don't forget that with the regional trains, you need to validate your ticket by inserting it into the green or yellow box near the entrance to the tracks.

If you are going to use the regional trains, there's really no benefit to purchasing a ticket in advance. There is no assigned seating, and no limit on the number of tickets sold.

The only possible benefit would be to save the few seconds it takes to purchase them enroute to or at the train station.

Just don't forget that with the regional trains, you need to validate your ticket by inserting it into the green or yellow box near the entrance to the tracks.

Thanks!

If you are going to look at a schedule now to project for the future be sure to look at the same day of the week. No problem M-F but as these are commuter trains they run less frequently on the weekend and or holidays. You have to take that into account on your schedule. Just buy tickets at the station or encounter.

Do be prepared for contingencies, there was an obstruction on the track when we went, after waiting 45 minutes we were rerouted. No problem for us , but new route bypassed San Pietro for those heading directly for the Vatican. Required some backtracking for them.

Thank you very much for the information. I would like to get off at the Roma S. Petro station instead of Romi station. Are all trains that goes into the Civitavecchia station will stop at Roma S. Petro station? If not, how do I know which one does and which one does not?

Thank you very much for the information. I would like to get off at the Roma S. Petro station instead of Romi station. Are all trains that goes into the Civitavecchia station will stop at Roma S. Petro station? If not, how do I know which one does and which one does not?

All the "Regionale" trains from Civitavecchia to Rome will stop at Roma S. Pietro.

The Intercity and Frecciabianca trains do NOT stop at Roma S. Pietro.

The fastest of the Regionale trains depart Civitavecchia at 8:42, 9:43, and 10:44, and yes, all of these will stop at Roma S.Pietro before continuing on to Roma Termini.

If you need to reassure yourself at the Civitavecchia station...there are monitors at each track that list the times AND stops for the next train.

Thank you so much for a prompt response. How does a "regional" train looks like? Is Trenitalia a regional train? Thank you for the train schedule. Can you also give me the schedule between 7am to 8 am? Can the BIRG ticket be used for this train? Thank you.

The BIRG ticket covers round trip train transportation on regional trains as well as all public mass transit in Rome (buses, trams, metro) in Rome for the entire day.

There are a variety of different train cars but you don't tell them by look, you go by the departures board and the track (binario), that's all you need.

There are right now regional trains from Civitavecchia to Rome S. Pietro departing Civitavecchia at 7:02, 7:18, 7:44, and 7:58 (Monday - Saturday). On Sundays there are trains at 7:00 and 7:34.

There is a machine to buy Trenitalia tickets but if you want the BIRG ticket you have to buy that from the newsstand. It will be open that early in the morning, not to worry.

Never tried it as there was never a long line at the counter... But I thought that the ticket machine sells the BIRG tickets too. At least they used to sell them. Has this changed?

The news stand inside the train station sells them. There´s also a Tabacchi shop at the shuttle bus stop where you can buy the BIRG tickets.

steamboats

Also be aware of local pickpocketing. Few years ago I was in Rom catching a train to the harbour because I was in a business trip on Liberty of the Seas and 1 young guy helped me get my suitcase in the train. Well later once I checked on the ship I saw my gold ring was missing. Later on I was told he most likely took it while I was handling him my suitcase:( they are very well trained and damn good in what they do!!!:(((

Sent from my SM-A520F using Forums mobile app

Never tried it as there was never a long line at the counter... But I thought that the ticket machine sells the BIRG tickets too. At least they used to sell them. Has this changed?
The BIRG ticket is sold by ATAC, not Trenitalia, so it would not be available from a Trenitalia machine.

I´m pretty sure it was available at the ticket machine. And I bought it at the counter in the train station which is also Trenitalia.

Here in Germany the Deutsche Bahn ticket machines do sell local public transportation tickets too.

steamboats

We will be going from Civitacvecchia to Rome on August 15. I just realize that it is the Day of the Assumption of Mary. It is a national holiday. How does it affect the train schedule? I was informed that the Vatican will be closed. Does any one know how will it affect the visit of the St. Peter Basilica? Will it be very crowded, longer than usual line to get in?