Chair Hogs New Low

OK... clearly you are not getting it. It does AFFECT everyone that has human skin. Just because you do not see/feel an EFFECT does not mean it is absent. Basic physiology here.

I mean by your rationale, then those who are smokers, and are not hacking, don't have COPD, and do not have cancer... well it must not affect them. :rolleyes:

Geez, this is a cruise board, not a medical board. People can live however they wish. We don't need nannies.

Maybe cruise lines are just hiring the wrong people for deck patrol. Suggest they recruit retired NYC meter maids. They'll closely enforce the rules and compared to the crap they heard on the job anything an angry chair hog has to say is definitely minor league.

They don’t have to go all the way to NYC to find crew like that. They just need to repurpose the guys who used to charge us for bottled water and mini bar items we did not drink.

I know some have said it’s bad on all cruise lines, but we’ve found on celebrity and Princess, where there are not water slides, rock walls and every other manner of contraptions hogging up the top deck, that there are available deck chairs because there is more open deck space and more pools.

I guess that means this really is not the big deal it’s made out to be on this board. If passengers on the whole were content with pools and deck chairs, RCCL would not be investing so heavily in things that take space for them away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The truth is that if a thing is desirable and the supply is not sufficient to accommodate everyone, then it should not be complementary. The cruise line should charge by the hour for the use of the more desirable deck chairs. Then there would be no more chair hogs (unless they were willing to pay for the time that the chair was not in use) and Royal Caribbean would have a new source of revenue.

Or splitting up the day into am and pm. With the advent of putting stuff on sea pass card, it would be relatively easy to control.

People who sleep-in sure do complain a lot. I wake up super early, get my coffee and breakfast and park my butt in a prime poolside chair for the day.

On Freedom right now out of San Juan...large groups of locals have taken over this cruise....no chance your system would/will work on this cruise....It's a madhouse frenzy (pools, dining areas & public venues even some that have brought on their own musical instruments...NO rules/policy on this cruise) unlike anything we've experienced on the many cruise's we've taken with RCI....:eek::eek::eek:

On Freedom right now out of San Juan...large groups of locals have taken over this cruise....no chance your system would/will work on this cruise....It's a madhouse frenzy (pools, dining areas & public venues even some that have brought on their own musical instruments...NO rules/policy on this cruise) unlike anything we've experienced on the many cruise's we've taken with RCI....:eek::eek::eek:

We sailed once out of San Juan.....never, ever again!! Worst cruise experience we ever had!!

We sailed once out of San Juan.....never, ever again!! Worst cruise experience we ever had!!

....and we sailed out of Galveston once. First day and last day were jacket weather. We've been starting our cruises from San Juan ever since and love it. We've never experienced the type of behavior either of you describe.

Ats some point in the near future the cruise lines will see this whole subject as an opportunity to stuff their pockets with MORE cash by coming up with a "Reserve-your-lounger-for-a-day-by-paying-a-fee" plan. Several years ago drink packages were introduced and they are now very popular- reserved loungers could be the way to go.

I agree. They need to come up with something to stop this nonsense, it's getting worse. Last couple cruises watched people saving chairs in the sun and in the shade. I watched one person save 6 chairs then went back a couple rows into the shade and saved 6 more. Watching the behavior of people is really turning me off to cruising and I'm looking into more land vacations in the future.

Watching the behavior of people is really turning me off to cruising and I'm looking into more land vacations in the future.

It's no better on land if you want to sit by the pool at a resort. People go out before sunrise to save chairs, then leave the hotel for part of the day in their rental cars to help tie up local traffic too.

I’m new to cruising so please pardon my ignorance on the subject.

What exactly constitutes a chair hog ?

On my two previous and only cruises every hour or so we’d go into the pool or hot tub for maybe a half hour and then go back to our chairs to relax. We would repeat this cycle for maybe 4 to 5 hours. Is this an example of seat hogging?? I don’t want to be one of ‘those’ people on my upcoming cruise so please let me know

If it cost RCI money they'd do something about it.

And not until then.

But I think it DOES cost them money. Those people that cannot sit in a deck chair because it is being "saved, also don't spend money on drinks. Not everyone gets the package. We left the deck and went to our balcony to enjoy our comped wine and champagne.

And I DO think there are enough deck chairs for most of the day if people who leave the pool area just take their stuff, do their thing, and upon returning, they would probably find a chair available, vacated by someone who left to do their thing. For most of the day, there were at least 30% of the chairs bogusly saved.

Edited by darla723

I agree. They need to come up with something to stop this nonsense, it's getting worse. Last couple cruises watched people saving chairs in the sun and in the shade. I watched one person save 6 chairs then went back a couple rows into the shade and saved 6 more. Watching the behavior of people is really turning me off to cruising and I'm looking into more land vacations in the future.

It's bad on ships, but it was even worse last week in Las Vegas. This certainly isn't something exclusive to cruises.

We had a very similar experience on Freedom in July. Never again will we leave out of San Juan.

I’m new to cruising so please pardon my ignorance on the subject.

What exactly constitutes a chair hog ?

On my two previous and only cruises every hour or so we’d go into the pool or hot tub for maybe a half hour and then go back to our chairs to relax. We would repeat this cycle for maybe 4 to 5 hours. Is this an example of seat hogging?? I don’t want to be one of ‘those’ people on my upcoming cruise so please let me know

A chair hog is a person who reserves one or more chairs that they they don’t sit in for a good part of the day. The rule is supposed to be that if you leave your chair unattended for more than 30 minutes, the pool staff will remove your personal belongings to open the chair up for someone else. It doesn’t really ever happen though.

Last year, we would reserve chairs before breakfast, eat and be at the chairs by 9 (early risers). One day, there were about 5 chairs that were saved, and not occupied up until about 2PM.

A lady wanted to use the chairs with her daughter, and the one person claimed the chairs were in use. So the lady got two actual chairs and set them up. Staff told her she could not do that, and she told what happened. The lady holding the chairs stated the people had "just left." I pointed out, we had been their for 5 hours and did not see anyone in the chairs, and also, the towels were still rolled up.

This year, we slept in, and always found chairs, maybe not right by the pool, but the ship is not that big.

Chair hogs are even getting lazy. We encounted a incident on the libertydurring spring break( great cruise inspite of this ). We search for seats for the sexiest man contest circled a couple of times . At 12:15 we lucked out with two towel free chairs on the deck above where the contest would happened . W e even asked the neighbor if anyone had those chairs.He reassued me no one using them so we got seated . 12:55 rolled around and some guy come up and asked for his seats back. explained that nothing indicated use and i even asked my neighbor . So he moved to the next couple and proceeded with the same questioning. That guy explained the same thing i did . The bully then suggested the guy had an attitude. For a moment i thought i was on carnival . The bully and guy in the chair had words . No fight but looked to be very close to one .OVER A CHAIR crazy . but on the other side of things this was a great cruise . My 1st time out of galveston and absolutely the most welcoming ship i have ever been on excluding the chair hog issue

Sorry, but this response is quite pathetic. " For a moment I thought I was on Carnival" Really?? I have been on numerous cruises with Carnival and NEVER once have I seen anything like this. Maybe next time you can simply say wow, I must be on Royal again? Idiots sail on every line and to say that one idiot represents an entire cruise line. Please give it a rest

I sail Carnival and will be going on Brilliance in 45 days and I do not hog chairs(its pathetic hos people do), and I do not act like that person even though I sail Carnival!! Enjoy your next cruise!!

Unless there's a butt in the chair, it's fair game! The rules say no saving chairs, then by golly, I'm moving their items.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

So if someone has been sitting in the chair, then decides to get in the pool to cool off for 5-10 minutes, you feel the chair is fair game and will move their clothes, shoes, book, whatever?

So if someone has been sitting in the chair, then decides to get in the pool to cool off for 5-10 minutes, you feel the chair is fair game and will move their clothes, shoes, book, whatever?

This is exactly what happened to me on my second cruise, so from now on I want to follow proper etiquette.

The worst I have seen was at Sandals Negril. At Sandals if you have a butler, your butler goes out early and saves you two chairs and a table in between under an umbrella or palapa and actually puts your name on it. It was so bad that people went out at night and saved chairs by putting a towel with their towel clips on them. Even early risers couldn’t find a chair. By the way, when you see their commercials and there are about two beach chairs on an otherwise vacant beach, guess again. It was one chair on top of each other and none available after 8:00 am.

Sorry, but this response is quite pathetic. " For a moment I thought I was on Carnival" Really?? I have been on numerous cruises with Carnival and NEVER once have I seen anything like this. Maybe next time you can simply say wow, I must be on Royal again? Idiots sail on every line and to say that one idiot represents an entire cruise line. Please give it a rest

I sail Carnival and will be going on Brilliance in 45 days and I do not hog chairs(its pathetic hos people do), and I do not act like that person even though I sail Carnival!! Enjoy your next cruise!!

Maybe try switching to decaf.