When is Caribbean Princess Scheduled for Dry Dock

blue cow dog

Good morning, I have just spent the last 25 minutes trying to find out the answer to this by searching the boards with no luck.

Does anybody know when the Caribbean Princess is scheduled for Dry Dock to fix her speed issues??

Thank you

The site mentioned with the url provided is the only one where I have found information also. Some where I did read that the fix will take 8 weeks. Wish I remembered where I read that.

CB cruises after 4 May and for the rest of the year are still being shown on the Princess site and I admit to getting antsy about the whole thing as I have booked a Canada/NE cruise for 9 August 2019 and that can only happen if the ship makes its 27 July trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Quebec City.

If the 8-week info is solid, there is still a 4-week cushion for the 27 July trip and that is good.

Just wonder if this info is reliable, and if it is, why hasn't Princess adjusted the schedule of available cruises on the CB for the dry dock period.

Just wonder if this info is reliable, and if it is, why hasn't Princess adjusted the schedule of available cruises on the CB for the dry dock period.

That fan-operated google site is far from reliable. It is based solely on one person's conjecture after new deployments are released each season. And it appears to not have been updated for many many months: all references to Ocean Medallion should have been deleted as Princess has completely abandoned the original rollout schedule, and the typos in Grand Princess' listing have gone uncorrected seemingly forever.

As for Caribbean Princess: should it be necessary to take her out of service for a month or more (as some reliable members who work in the industry have previously posted) we won't know the dates until Princess is 100% sure 100% of the necessary parts are available and then and only then will the company begin a search for a facility with such a large window available. I would expect the CB to still be toddling along with the current speed restrictions well into 2019 (but again, strictly conjecture on my part)

Unless I'm reading the Princess website incorrectly, it appears that there is a CB cruise that ends on 4/13/2019 and the next cruise embarks on 5/14/2019.

You have just made my day. :'):'):') Just looked for myself and I concur with your eyesight, wisdom, and all other good traits I am sure you have.

I can now go back to being excited about my cruise and immersing myself in all things Canada/NE. :D:D:D

I'm not sure if I am the "reliable member" mentioned or not, but this kind of repair could easily be done in under 4 weeks, 2-3 weeks is more likely time frame. Heck, Oasis burned a hole in the bottom of the ship, lowered an engine down, skidded it out and skidded a new engine in, lifted it back in place and welded up the hull again in 2 weeks. The renewal of a main propulsion motor or winding would be similar, and only technically different in the details. A lot of prep work can be done ahead of time, like shutting down the one propeller completely after the last passenger is off, and proceeding to shipyard on one propeller while they disconnect the motor and the controls/systems that are outboard of the motor where the hole will need to be cut (and they could go out the bottom, and possibly simplify things.

I was on the Caribbean Princess in 2014...Eastern Caribbean 5-day. Seems there were issues then...delayed departure and early return to FLL on final day of cruise.. There was a lot of vibration mid-aft & aft. Whenever we docked - it looked as though it was being worked on! Had a great time though - just hope my sailing in June is smooth (I made sure to book cabin mid-forward) Seems all $$ money put into recent renovation was cosmetic?

We have sailed CB twice. The only vibration we felt was using the thrusters docking or leaving a port.

When we cruised on the Diamond Princess in 2005, she was only a year old when the ship had a prop strike at a port. Our trip on the inside passage was great.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are on Caribbean Princess May 14, 2019, and I have been following closely. She is in the shipyard in Freeport GB now 4/18/19 and will probably go into dry dock any time now. I believe they are replacing engine mounts that have caused Propulsion issues. I did see somewhere that an engine will be replaced, that is "not sure" info.

Edited by rokwldr
add text

In the other Caribbean Princess dry dock thread someone claims that the "Wet Dock" label that you see on the bridge cam will continue throughout the upgrade, that they will do all of the work without going into dry dock.  Seems surprising to me but the last thing I claim to be is an expert on the topic....just passing it along.

Having booked the first cruise after the repairs I have been looking around a lot. Wet or Dry dock i just hope it's ready. When I booked my Princess cruise planner said dry dock. I guess I'll see, by watching the front view camera. BTW we got an upgrade to a mini suite, first ever upgrade in almost 20 cruises.

My Oct 14 New England/ Canada one will be fine....about every 3 yrs or so we take a Fall cruise to buy Maple Syrup....My husband says it's the most expensive Maple Syrup one can buy😋

4 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

In the other Caribbean Princess dry dock thread someone claims that the "Wet Dock" label that you see on the bridge cam will continue throughout the upgrade, that they will do all of the work without going into dry dock.  Seems surprising to me but the last thing I claim to be is an expert on the topic....just passing it along.

4 hours ago, rokwldr said:

We are on Caribbean Princess May 14, 2019, and I have been following closely. She is in the shipyard in Freeport GB now 4/18/19 and will probably go into dry dock any time now. I believe they are replacing engine mounts that have caused Propulsion issues. I did see somewhere that an engine will be replaced, that is "not sure" info.

The Caribbean Princess will have a large hole cut in the hull to facilitate the removal and replacement of propulsion equipment.  This defective equipment has been causing major propulsion issues for more than 2 years. They will however be addressing much of the normal DD maintenance items along with new additions to the children’s area on the outside deck.

The bridge can for the CB is showing in wetdock.

A wet dock usually occurs when the ship remains tied up to the pier “in” the water while the work is completed.

7 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

The Caribbean Princess will have a large hole cut in the hull to facilitate the removal and replacement of propulsion equipment.  This defective equipment has been causing major propulsion issues for more than 2 years. This will be a dry dock although not a routine one. They will however be addressing much of the normal DD maintenance items along with new additions to the children’s area on deck.

This will not be a wet dock which occurs when the ship remains tied up to the pier “in” the water while the work is completed.

now, I'm no expert .. or do I have "insider information"  or "know someone in Freeport" ... but it seems to me

that the "main" purpose of this "wet/drydock" is to cut open the hull, fix ... don't you think that the ship should be

immediately in "drydock" to get the maximum time available for this ... instead of still sitting in the water - per

the bridge cam for the CB .... unless the scheduled berth for the drydock was damaged ??

dunno - I'll just sit back and see what the experts and insiders state

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

now, I'm no expert .. or do I have "insider information"  or "know someone in Freeport" ... but it seems to me

that the "main" purpose of this "wet/drydock" is to cut open the hull, fix ... don't you think that the ship should be

immediately in "drydock" to get the maximum time available for this ... instead of still sitting in the water - per

the bridge cam for the CB .... unless the scheduled berth for the drydock was damaged ??

You would think.

They can type anything on the bridge cam title that they want.  🤪

2 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

You would think.

They can type anything on the bridge cam title that they want.  🤪

maybe someone with the 'insider information' and 'Freeport contacts' can get the information directly from the Dock Facility ...

13 hours ago, voljeep said:

The critical path item is the propulsion motor repair, and this will take every second of the month long shipyard period.  Drydocks are very rare and pricey territory, so if the yard can get two weeks work done at wet berth, while another ship uses the dock, that is a win for them, and then CB moves into the dock for her underwater work.  Wet berth is cheaper than drydock days, so this is also a win for Princess.

A tanker, Athens Star is currently in dock #3.

Edited by chengkp75

That's what I figured as the dry dock time is not cheap. Somewhere I read that one of the RCC ships had an engine replaced in this manner and it took two weeks. I am no expert and only worked in a smaller shipyard almost 40 years ago. Back then I worked on a 350Ft cargo ship and the engine was replaced in a similar manner and it took about a month. Much in the way of technology has changed since then. I hope for all that are on the May 14th cruise that all is well ans safe cruising.

2 minutes ago, rokwldr said:

That's what I figured as the dry dock time is not cheap. Somewhere I read that one of the RCC ships had an engine replaced in this manner and it took two weeks. I am no expert and only worked in a smaller shipyard almost 40 years ago. Back then I worked on a 350Ft cargo ship and the engine was replaced in a similar manner and it took about a month. Much in the way of technology has changed since then. I hope for all that are on the May 14th cruise that all is well ans safe cruising.

Not that much has changed in technology, just in how much you want to pay.  My contractor always tells me "I can build you anything you want, it's just a question of how much you are willing to pay".  I believe you are thinking of Oasis, which had a centerline diesel renewed by cutting out the bottom of the ship and lowering the double bottom and engine to the dock floor and skidding it out from underneath the ship (extra price for overheight keel blocks to accomplish this).

This propulsion motor is actually a bit more difficult.  They've got to remove all the electrical systems that are typically outboard of the motor (the variable frequency drive), and then cut away the side of the hull, large enough to get the motor stator out, and then reverse it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

This propulsion motor is actually a bit more difficult.  They've got to remove all the electrical systems that are typically outboard of the motor (the variable frequency drive), and then cut away the side of the hull, large enough to get the motor stator out, and then reverse it.

Chief, Your knowledge is, (as always), extremely helpful. I'm curious, is this propulsion motor above or below the waterline? If it is above, is this why they have not "rushed" to put the CB into dry dock?