What is a technical stop?

sitraveler

Generally, a technical stop is when the cruise ship needs to stop somewhere for fuel, provisions, other services or sometimes to fulfill government requirements. (For example, some cruise ships sailing between the US mainland and Hawaii make a technical stop in Ensenada, Mexico, to fulfill the requirement to visit a foreign port.)

I don't know how cruise lines decide when to make that necessary stop into a port of call and when they just do a quick technical stop. It probably has to do with itinerary and financial considerations -- things like customs/clearance, fees for docking, quality of experience onshore, timing, etc.

We are en route to Cartegena Columbia for what is called a "technical stop". We will be there for 2 hours and will not be allowed to get off. Why?

I think another thread on here is discussing some delays that the Regatta is having for some technical issue.

Is it possible that you were supposed to make a regular port call in Cartegena, which would fulfill the need to stop at a "distant foreign port" between a full cruise departure and arrival in two *different* USA ports?

Perhaps they no longer have time for that port call, but still need to make an "official stop" to meet the terms of that statute (not the Jones act, which is for cargo, but the similar one for passengers)?

If so, they might also need fuel or food, or whatever they would ordinarily do/get there during "regular" port calls.

GC

I'm on board this cruise. Speed has been fluctuating between 15 and 17 knots since departing Havana. I did the math and if we averaged 17 knots the we would have been on time into Cartegena.

My friend says that "minor technical difficulties" is code for "we are going to lie to you now".

Missing this port means 5 full days that we are stuck onboard.

The ship is completely full and it is very obvious at meal times and lectures. Seats are hard to come by.

Edited by PM1225
Typo

I'm on board this cruise. Speed has been fluctuating between 15 and 17 knots since departing Havana. I did the math and if we averaged 17 knots the we would have been on time into Cartegena.

My friend says that "minor technical difficulties" is code for "we are going to lie to you now".

Missing this port means 5 full days that we are stuck onboard.

The ship is completely full and it is very obvious at meal times and lectures. Seats are hard to come by.

I never think of myself being “stuck” on board in any cruise. Stuff happens. Just make the most of the on board experience

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe you should report your findings to the Captain

He probably does not know that he has an expert onboard :rolleyes:

LOL, why do people imagine that Cruise Ships pop into a port in the way that a car pops into a vacant parking space on the street?

For a more accurate description, think about how much planning would YOU require if you were organizing an overnight stay for five or six hundred of your closest friends?

In other words, by the time that the ship sails from Port A, the arrival time at Port B has already been established. The speed and course of the ship is predetermined.