Straws?

So share with us your estimate of how much a company with $17.5 billion in revenue hopes to save by cutting back slightly (certainly not eliminating) on straws.

You don't remember American Airlines saving $40,000 a year by eliminating one olive per salad in first class. It doesn't matter what their revenue is, every penny they save is money in their pocket.

I did not mean to stir up a stink that I don't agree with saving our environment, I just stated that I have never seen a straw get thrown or blown overboard. I did not say it doesn't happen, just that I've never seen it.

You don't remember American Airlines saving $40,000 a year by eliminating one olive per salad in first class. It doesn't matter what their revenue is, every penny they save is money in their pocket.

I did not mean to stir up a stink that I don't agree with saving our environment, I just stated that I have never seen a straw get thrown or blown overboard. I did not say it doesn't happen, just that I've never seen it.

There are straws in the water so they have either blown in or been thrown in and I don't think it matters much which occurred. I've never seen a million dollars but I know that such an amount of money exists.;)

How about getting rid of plastic water bottles and plastic bags...totally unnecessary. We functioned for YEARS without bottled water and plastic bags. Paper straws are fine with me...but some drinks require a straw...so buy paper ones!

Gotta love it. Back in the seventies, we used waxed paper straws. The environmentalists screamed "You can't use paper straws! You're killing trees! Use plastic straws!" Now the environmentalists are screaming "You can't use plastic straws! You're killing sea life!" So here I sit, with environmentalists screaming that my plastic straw, stuck thru a plastic lid on top of a plastic cup, is dangerous...

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Forums mobile app

Not screaming. Just saying that we can live and learn. Here's an idea: ditch (recycle!) the plastic straw, plastic lid, and plastic cup that you are using. Invest a few dollars in a nice metal yeti type cup, and a metal straw or two. They will last you for the rest of your life and won't confinually land in landfills or the ocean. I have a metal straw and cup that I use daily. And I plan to take them on my next cruise with me.

This is an interesting article for anyone who cares about this issue. Here's a relevant quote from the article:

"The growing ban on plastic straws comes as United Nations figures show eight million tonnes of plastic — bottles, packaging and other waste — enter the ocean each year, killing marine life and entering the human food chain.

It takes plastic straws and stirrers up to 200 years to biodegrade.

Scientists have urged tougher restrictions on plastic waste. In December, almost 200 nations agreed to limit plastic pollution of the oceans, warning it could outweigh fish by 2030."

That's pretty shocking. Plastic pollution could outweigh fish in the ocean by 2030?! That should cause anyone to stop and think!

At any rate, I doubt Carnival will totally eliminate straws. I don't think it's a "cutback" they are doing to save money. I do hope they will try to come up with some environmentally friendly alternatives. Small changes up to a lot when you are talking about millions of cruisers and hundreds of millions of drinks served every year.

Interesting article, but it appears that some of it is not correct. If you look at the actual bill on the California legislative website, the punishment for offering a straw is quite different from that described in the article linked above. The article claims that "a waiter" could be fined $1000 and sentenced to six months in jail for offering a straw to a customer. This is absurd, of course. And I'm not sure where it came from because it doesn't seem to appear in the bill at all. The bill describes a punishment to a restaurant consisting of two warnings, and then a $25 fine, up to a maximum of $300.

Also note that the bill does NOT prohibit a customer from asking for and being provided a straw. It is only trying to stop restaurants from just slapping them down on the table unasked. Restaurants where I live do this ALL the time, pretty much everywhere. I don't use these straws but even unopened and unused, I know they go straight into the trash when I leave.

So don't worry, the tree-huggers aren't making it against the law to use a straw and they aren't going around tossing waiters into jail willy-nilly.

Here's the actual wording from the bill:

"This bill would prohibit a food facility, as specified, where food may be consumed on the premises, from providing single-use plastic straws to consumers unless requested by the consumer. The bill would specify that the first and 2nd violations of these provisions would result in a warning and any subsequent violation would be an infraction punishable by a fine of $25 for each day the food facility is in violation, but not to exceed an annual total of $300. "

I don't drink out of the straw but I need 1 to stir my drink. and I have no problem with trying to save the environment. do I need to bring my own stirrer?

I don't know if they do this yet, but they could use those little wooden stirring sticks. They are kind of like Popsicle sticks but smaller. Those are biodegradable and made of natural materials in the event that they do end up in the ocean.

Or they could put out more stirring spoons.

I don't know if they do this yet, but they could use those little wooden stirring sticks. They are kind of like Popsicle sticks but smaller. Those are biodegradable and made of natural materials in the event that they do end up in the ocean.

Or they could put out more stirring spoons.

My thoughts too! CCL already uses wooden stir sticks for coffee at the buffet. Just add them to the bars as well? As for straws, who knows?:confused:

BYOS.....Bring Your Own Straw! Soon to be the next big thing...:)

Edited by jwjax

Our bartender last week on the Splendor told us they have the straws you just have to ask for them now. She said she heard a rumor they were going to switch over to paper "soon".

As I said, just a rumor but that's what I heard.

Gotta love it. Back in the seventies, we used waxed paper straws. The environmentalists screamed "You can't use paper straws! You're killing trees! Use plastic straws!" Now the environmentalists are screaming "You can't use plastic straws! You're killing sea life!" So here I sit, with environmentalists screaming that my plastic straw, stuck thru a plastic lid on top of a plastic cup, is dangerous...

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Forums mobile app

We are human and we err. And we have more people living on this planet than we ever envisioned. We are not gifted with the foresight to comprehend every ultimate impact each and every decision. But as you can see the research shows that plastic is a nightmare for our environment. Our challenge now becomes how do we minimize that impact - and clean up the giant mess we have already made. And removing the disposable straws, cups and lids (which Carnival DOES NOT use already) is an easy way to reduce the impact on the oceans.

I hate going to fast food restaurants and having to get a plastic cup when I have a perfectly great reusable one in my car. But the germaphobes freak out if you take a personal cup to a soda fountain. So who wins? The fish or the germaphobes? For me, the answer "should" be easy...without the fish, you won't have anyone, including the germaphobes....

I do my part for the environment by refusing to buy single use water bottles. I won’t drink any bottled water unless I’m in a third world country, like Russia.

But if I need a straw, which I do occasionally, I will use it, guilt-free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My thoughts too! CCL already uses wooden stir sticks for coffee at the buffet. Just add them to the bars as well? As for straws, who knows?:confused:

BYOS.....Bring Your Own Straw! Soon to be the next big thing...:)

Honestly, there is revenue to be made here. CCL could sell reusable stainless steel straws imprinted with their logo and charge it to you S&S account.

Eco Friendly could be profitable :)

Honestly, there is revenue to be made here. CCL could sell reusable stainless steel straws imprinted with their logo and charge it to you S&S account.

Look for logo straws to be an upcoming platinum gift.

Maybe a little whale tail glued on it too. :D