New to Celebrity - What do I need to know?

retire2cruise55

Been on NCL, Royal and Disney several times. Thinking about booking Celebrity to change things up, but not sure it’s a good fit.

What ship and cabins should I focus on?

How does Celebrity compare?

-We are in our forties. Kiddos won’t be cruising with us.

-Like newer, large ships with ocean or ppl watching cabins

-Looking for good food, service & entertainment.

-Nothing stuffy...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They have good food and excellent service.

Entertainment? Not so much.

In my experience, and especially on port intensive cruises, X ships are ridiculously quiet at night. There's the Martini Bar which is generally always hopping, but not much else. Shows are kind of lame. Their attempts at things like pool parties or "Miami nightclubs?"...eh.

If you want a relaxing cruise, by all means, book. I switched to NCL because X was boring me to death after 9pm. However, I'm your age and NCL's entertainment is a bit much. lol Literally 24-7, nonstop so I am booking Celeb for my next one so I can have an a actual vacation and not come back from vacation exhausted.

P.S....X's ships are nowhere, and I mean nowhere near as big as the "big ships" on lines like RCL. If you go in expecting that, you will be very disappointed.

Reading your post again, I dunno if it's a good fit. Just being honest. Again, think quiet and relaxing. No "real" say, deck parties like NCL. The service on X is excellent but nothing compares to Disney service. A "new" RCL ship is going to be at least 1.5X as big as Celeb's biggest ship in the Solstice class. Oasis, not even new, is what? 225 tons vs Reflection clocking in at 125or so carrying half the passengers.

Other than Disney being more family focused, NCL and RCCL has a more diverse demographic. X is working on it but it's still, I'd say, predominantly 50+, if not 60+.

And if you're into things like the spa, I've been on NCL Escape and Getaway and the Persian Gardens can not compare.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it but I want you to have a good time.

The burning question is.....where do you want to go?

It's rather late in the game for some itineraries if you are price conscious. Final payment for August cruises is just around the corner. There might be some incentives for new bookings or post final payment fare reductions.

On the "S" class shiips many of the balcony cabins are the same size and location is paramount with only two elevator banks on these larger vessels. Suites are another element as are amenities. The Aqua class cabins have a dedicated restaurant, BLU with a better menu, or one that we like better. Suites are serviced with a lounge, Michael's, and Luminae restaurant.

There are specialty restaurants with an upcharge (unless in the largest suites.)

Your Crown and Anchor status can be matched up to Diamond. When you pick your cruise sign up for your Captain's Club number and investigate the perks on the faultering Celebrity web site.

Let us know if we can help with more specific questions.

Thanks everyone. Really second thinking this... We cruise for the ship, not so much the ports. Entertainment and food are the most important. From what I’m hearing, Celebrity is lacking in the entertainment area. I need a break from Disney until they get new ships. I know the ships and shows like the back of my hand. Can’t do another Royal Oasis/Quantum ship - been in each several times. Was not fond of the layout of NCL Getaway. Even with the Haven, no one had a good time due to most of the activities being in the small atrium. What does that leave us to consider?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We recently did our first cruise on Celebrity Solstice and we thought the entertainment was great - we chose celebrity because it was more upmarket and seemed to cater more for Adult couples / groups and not families with kids.

Every night they had a party of some sort - silent disco 70's party, 80's party - poolside party, karaoke, live bands.....

We also thought the food in the Main dining room was outstanding.

I cannot comment on other cruise companies because this was our first cruise, but we were so impressed we have booked another for 2020

We recently did our first cruise on Celebrity Solstice and we thought the entertainment was great - we chose celebrity because it was more upmarket and seemed to cater more for Adult couples / groups and not families with kids.

Every night they had a party of some sort - silent disco 70's party, 80's party - poolside party, karaoke, live bands.....

We also thought the food in the Main dining room was outstanding.

I cannot comment on other cruise companies because this was our first cruise, but we were so impressed we have booked another for 2020

My concern for her, having been on Royal, NCL, Celebrity, Disney and, moons ago, Carnival, is that she’s into big, new ships and strong entertainment. It is straight up, X’s biggest weakness and I think they know it hence all of these attempts at alternatives like the silent disco.

If you go on multiple lines, you’ll have a point of comparison but for example, X’s 80s poolside party v an NCL 80s Party. NCL draws hundreds on their huge open deck with a gigantic projection screen. The staff will be in costume, there will be a Thriller dance mob, videos will be playing on the screen.....versus X’s which is much more subdued around a pool with no real dedicated space and people that basically pass by.

I don’t know but I book on mood and when I want a basic, but elegant ship that is relaxing, I book X. If I want big deck parties, things like actual comedy clubs, Howl at the Moon, Cirque de Soleil, onboard brew houses, etc just multiple options that are available every night ....I go to NCL.

Plus, the ships themselves. Just totally different experiences. Royal now has 10 story slides, Central Park replicas, boardwalk parades , water slides etc. None of that on X which again, is fine IF you’re not looking to be wow’d by the ship itself.

I haven’t been on Carnival in 20 years but what about a suite on their newest ship? Or have you done Harmony of the Seas yet?

I don’t want to talk you out of Celebrity but after 5 cruises with them and being your age, it really is not a great line for activities for someone with your experience. You could always ask to see the dailies to check it out for yourself. I’m sure someone has them here. But if you do decide to go with them I would love to hear your review.

I have done 5 cruises with Celebrity but when I am looking for lots of things to do...I look to Royal. Fabulous time on Oasis and Freedom, for a smaller ship experience.

I know the newer ships have much more. That said, I am booked on the Eclipse because I need to see family on the West Coast. For this trip, I will back my Chromebook and iPad with movies. Wherever you go, relax and enjoy!

Oh, I am 70 and my DH is 75....we are older than their demographics and find it boring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On a 7 day carib the entertainment should be OK and the age demographic should run a bit younger.. Each night there will be one main musical event plus the main theater shows (some are ok, some blow). There will be a couple of silent discos. They are very popular and as stupid as they sound they are a lot of fun. Usually one pool party. There will be a few theme nights in the main atrium with a the ship band and/or DJ (70's 80s etc) these are usually early 8-10 ish and a band usually plays there early evening too. Then there will be entertainment in the main lounge (sky lounge) this will go from 10 to midnight or later. After that much of the ship usually goes to bed but there is a night club on most of the S-class ships called Quasor and sometimes that will be going till 2 or 3am, it really depends on the crowd on the ship. There is also entertainment in the Ensemble lounge if you like like chamber music/soft jazz. We hate that place. The entertainment isn't as diverse as the big NCL or RCCL ships but it's not as bad as some of these posters will have you believe. We were out till 2 or 3am every night on our last cruise. There was a pretty good group of party animals on that one.

Now during the day if you need hairy legs contests and belly flop contests to be amused you're not going to find that on Celebrity.

Pool party on Solstice

photo.php?fbid=10209600540725206&set=pb.1678872025.-2207520000.1526081142.&type=3&theater

29683705_10209600540725206_6016830166994441831_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=5b451c86ede3db6fc31fa2ec61ae81b6&oe=5B8A0184

Sky lounge on a good night

12039222_10203953472112020_7660509208813792285_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeFva9RDskj-RtPERQAYQNvMftedo8K-z_f23v-N35W8JY2Wd_K_gf4cXbqQNaxDkzv6q1PKbd0jSsW3BLVTXd5bJJEdQaOskn_bDHbZbLVp3w&oh=f2f137a3511ee5c24167dbdb3383369f&oe=5B82C449

From personal experience, we found Celebrity to be somewhat snobbish. So many conversations started with "We are elite...."

There are also areas that you can't access unless you are in a certain cabin category, I'm not referring to restaurants but public areas. On our first Celebrity cruise, it was the first time that Michael's Club was designated as elites only and that raised the ire of many returning Celebrity cruisers. We had hoped to spend time in the wine bar but some entertainer named Perry was there in the evenings and he was most decidedly not our cup of tea. :rolleyes:

However, all that being said, if the right itinerary came up, we'd book Celebrity without hesitation.

From personal experience, we found Celebrity to be somewhat snobbish. So many conversations started with "We are elite...."

There are also areas that you can't access unless you are in a certain cabin category, I'm not referring to restaurants but public areas. On our first Celebrity cruise, it was the first time that Michael's Club was designated as elites only and that raised the ire of many returning Celebrity cruisers. We had hoped to spend time in the wine bar but some entertainer named Perry was there in the evenings and he was most decidedly not our cup of tea. :rolleyes:

However, all that being said, if the right itinerary came up, we'd book Celebrity without hesitation.

Pretty much all cruise lines have areas that are limited because of cabin or Status. When Michaels was used for elites it was only for two hours a day.

Complaining about not using the wine bar because you didn’t like the entertainment is really petty in the context of areas being closed off.

Michael's Club is now for suite guests (not "elite" CC members) and has been that way for a number of years so you have not likely sailed more recently on Celebrity. I have cruised Celebrity a lot recently and have not experienced many snobbish people and have never met anybody who started a conversation "We are elite". If that was your experience that would be rare and not the norm.

Pretty much all cruise lines have areas that are limited because of cabin or Status.

Perhaps, but Celebrity is taking it to new levels.

My last disembarkation from a Celebrity ship was delayed. There ended up being a long line. A family in front of us was furious. They kept saying "We're suites!" implying that they shouldn't have to put up with what we in the rest of the ship thought was perfectly normal. It was then that I realized that they probably never had to wait in any line during the entire cruise because of the perks given to their class.

Just be prepared for the "snobbishness" others have mentioned. Celebrity seems to cultivate this sense of entitlement more than other lines--with their retreat lounges, retreat sundecks, dining rooms divided by cabin class, concierge, butlers, separate tenders, etc. It almost feels like their goal is to return to how cruising was 100 years ago when there as basically no interaction between cabin classes.

Perhaps, but Celebrity is taking it to new levels.

My last disembarkation from a Celebrity ship was delayed. There ended up being a long line. A family in front of us was furious. They kept saying "We're suites!" implying that they shouldn't have to put up with what we in the rest of the ship thought was perfectly normal. It was then that I realized that they probably never had to wait in any line during the entire cruise because of the perks given to their class.

Just be prepared for the "snobbishness" others have mentioned. Celebrity seems to cultivate this sense of entitlement more than other lines--with their retreat lounges, retreat sundecks, dining rooms divided by cabin class, concierge, butlers, separate tenders, etc. It almost feels like their goal is to return to how cruising was 100 years ago when there as basically no interaction between cabin classes.

All cruise lines do what you contend Celebrity does as a matter of fact Celebrity is trying to catch up to NCLs Haven concept. There will always be snobs who try to flaunt something. I’ve been on over 20 Celebrity cruises and have met snobs but for the most part the rest are just regular people. Only one other person mentioned snobs and they sailed many years ago.

I also have never met anyone start a conversation with I’m an elite.

Edited by dkjretired

I'm Elite Plus; however, I have never before started a conversation with that line. LOL. Royal as well has special areas only for suite guests. I perfectly understand there should be something extra for the higher price paid for their cabin. I could never understand why people paid for Celebrity's suites before Michael's and Luminae. All you were getting was more space in the cabin. Celebrity is now trying to catch up with NCL and MSC's Yacht Club. That is apparent in the Edge design.

We are a tad older than you--early 50s. We have done Princess, Royal, Disney & Celebrity.

Disney--yeah, great with kids, but we won't be back now that kids are older.

Princess--overall our fav. Why? SO SO SO many things to do during the day. They win activity choices hands down--I love having that moment when there are 3 things I want to do at the same time.

Royal--our least fav cruise (Mariner) & very fav (Allure). We had dead time on Mariner which we didn't like. Allure's activity offerings were similar to Princess (due to many more passengers, we assume)

Celebrity--we agree that service & overall cruise are a tick nicer than the other lines (well, Disney has this down, too). On Constellation we did feel like we wanted more activities--but it is a smaller ship. Better on Solstice class, with nearly 3K passengers. More like Royal Mariner activity offerings. We would still like a few more. BUT Celebrity continues to give us better value than any other line the last few years. We have been sailing balconies with drink package, tips & OBC thrown in. No other line has matched it.

One key is your dates--August-November will often bring an older demographic overall.

I say give it a try & see if you like it!

I also suggest you try Princess--LOTS of activities all the time. We even have skipped a few ports & stayed on the ship! (yep LOVE sea days). Our sea days usually go like this: breakfast buffet; early trivia or poker game; pool for a few hours; shower; late afternoon trivia; dinner; evening game show or comedian; dancing in the disco. Repeat!

Hey if July 28 fits your dates, come along the Equinox with us! I got a balcony for $2400 including premium drink package, gratuities, $350 OBC & unlimited internet through a large online TA. I don't think the deals are QUITE as good still, but I think you can still get 2 of these perks. We are always looking for fun friends to do trivia with, dine with, drink with, go dancing with--always makes it more fun to travel with others or make new friends! Thought some friends were coming but they had to back out...no worries, we will still have fun! ANY cruise is better than none!

Been on 9 Celebrity cruises and I've never met those snobs. Maybe you sailed on a snob charter cruise.;p. Micheal club is one tiny bar and most people wont even ever notice it, I went there when it was open to all and it was a sooze fest. No one with an ounce of fun left in them was in there. The elite cocktail hour is 2 hours a day in the main lounge usually. Pretty much all lines (cruise, airline, hotel etc) have stuff like this for suites or loyal customers. So what? Sounds like we need to sail with KKB!

I’ve been in Michael’s Club back when it was used for the Elite breakfasts and Happy Hour. I never cared for it as there is no view outside. Doesn’t bother me that I can’t get in now unless I’m in a suite (never going to happen...)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I certainly seemed to have touched a nerve. But I stand by what I said. It did happen frequently enough that we remember it and DH and I had a laugh saying that it beat being asked about Canadian health care every time we sat down to dinner!!

And then there was one evening when the dinner table was mostly Texas bull breeders...made for some great dinner conversation. But I digress. :D:D:D

But I reiterate that if the right itinerary comes along, we would not hesitate to book another Celebrity cruise.

I have cruised Celebrity a lot recently and have not experienced many snobbish people and have never met anybody who started a conversation "We are elite". If that was your experience that would be rare and not the norm.

Maybe not in conversation, but if you search forums like these, you will find lots of posts beginning with exactly those words.

Sometimes you have to give your frame of reference....because as an "elite", your experience may be different. For example, did you get flowers in your room. Answer, yes, because we are "elite". Were you invited to the helipad on your cruise. Answer, yes, but we are "elite" and I don't know if that's because we were in a concierge room or we were "elite".

The choice of the name "elite" was poor, on celebrity's part. This type of false "elitism" would never have happened if they called it "platinum" or "diamond"

We are actually elite plus....but in all our sailings, I don't think I've heard anyone talk about being special because they are "elite". It's just a loyalty level.