Oslo Here We Come! Please tell me your tour experience

We are headed to Oslo on the Koningsdam in June and while we prefer independent travel experiences, the need to see so much in a short period of time makes me think we need a group tour. Does anybody have any good recommendations for this city? Aside from the ship's tour please. We need to see the Vigeland sculpture garden, the ski jump and the Viking museum. Open to all ideas at this point. TIA.

If you are a senior citizen (of any nationality) the Oslo pass is half price. This allows entrance to museums, the castle, ferry etc. (Can't recall if trolley/bus service is included or not). Anyway, using this pass, it is easy to skip lines and see sites on your own. We have not been to the ski jump but saw all the other ones you mentioned, plus the castle and folk museum, in one day.

I tend to agree with the above. If you prefer to be independent travelers, Oslo is one place you can do it. I thoroughly explored the major sites in the the downtown area on foot and then took the mass transit to the Vigeland Park and Viking Museum. Then I took the ferry from the Viking Museum area back to the city center and walked back to the ship. Do a little research and go for it. I will say that I didn't go to the ski jump, however.

The only call I’m seeing for the Koningsdam in June is the 26th, when she has 10 hours in port. That’s not a short time at all! Even with just a few hours in port, it’s not usually worth joining a group tour in Oslo, because the city is quite small and public transit is excellent. Additionally, there aren’t many tour options to choose from, since most visitors explore independently. Labor costs are extremely high in Norway, so the cost of a driver and guide it expensive to offer much in the way of private tour services.

It’s worth noting that you’re scheduled to dock at Revierkaia, which is on the east side of Akershus peninsula, across the water from the opera house, rather than next to the fortress. That’s the opposite side from the Bygdøy ferry and not next to the cruise terminal building. However, it’s only a 10-minute walk north to get to Jernbanetorget, the central transit hub near the central train station.

If you’re not planning to visit more than the two museums (Viking ships and the ski museum — to access the top of the ski jump), it’s probably not worth buying an Oslo Pass. Instead, I’d recommend buying a 24-hour transit pass from the first convenience store you pass (7-11, Narvesen, Deli de Luca, Mix) and then just buying museum entry separately.

If you are planning to go to the top of the ski jump, I would recommend doing that first thing, since the queue can be long on busy days. It probably won’t be too bad since it’s a weekday, but you never know. To get up there, once you pick up the transit pass (there are several convenience stores around Jernbanetorget), look for the circular blue T signs in front of the train station to access the Jernbanetorget T-bane (metro) station. Be sure to activate he pass by swiping it on the ticket reader at the station (or on board the first bus/tram you use if you change the order). Take the metro Line 1 westbound towards Frognerseteren. It’s a 25-minute ride to Holmenkollen with a few nice views en route (it’s been a while, but I think the left side is better). From the Holmenkollen stop, it’s about 10 minutes walk uphill to the ski jump and museum.

Coming back to the city, hop off the T-bane at Majorstuen, and Vigelands Park is 10 minutes west down Kirkeveien. Or you can take the Tram #12 from in front of the metro station, and it’s the second stop.

From Vigelands Park to the Viking Ships, catch the bus #20 in front of the park, heading towards Skøyen. Get down 3 stops (just a few minutes) later at Olav Kyrres plase and switch to the #30 towards Bygdøy. It takes around 7 minutes to get to the Vikingskipene stop in front of the Viking ship museum.

Coming back, you can take the bus #30 all the way back to Jernbanetorget. Or if you have more time, you could get off at Rådhuset and walk along the waterfront or through the Akershus fortress back to the pier on the other side.

In addition to the Viking museum we visited the KonTiki museum and the old Norse village at the University. Buildings dating from the 800's...really old.

We could see the ski jump from all of the city...but did not actually visit.

Norway is fascinating and wonderful.

Great info. Thanks

We arrive on Konigsdam August 21st for 7 hours and our Quay is listed as SAK. Where is this in reference to the REV quay that was discussed above so that I could see the same sites as a DIY?

Edited by beachdreaming

Great info. Thanks

We arrive on Konigsdam August 21st for 7 hours and our Quay is listed as SAK. Where is this in reference to the REV quay that was discussed above so that I could see the same sites as a DIY?

Sondre Akershus

It is right in front of the fort closer to city centre than the one described above

http://www.oslohavn.no/en/passengers/passenger_traffic/cruise/

when you exit the gates turn left go to the city centre or the ferry to the museums

https://www.whatsinport.com/Oslo.htm

I am going back to Olso this summer. I am again putting Vigeland number one. Last time a prefect sunny day. Went by tram ..walked the grounds and went into the museum which was his home. Had lunch outside. Tram back. Prefect day.

Seen all but the ski jump. The town hall etc good too.

We were in Oslo last week. We took a ship tour, at my wife's insistence, even tho the HoHo came right to the pier. Were I to visit Oslo again I would do the HoHo. It went to all the places to see except the ski jump. Much better deal considering both price and sites visited.

We were in Oslo last week. We took a ship tour, at my wife's insistence, even tho the HoHo came right to the pier. Were I to visit Oslo again I would do the HoHo. It went to all the places to see except the ski jump. Much better deal considering both price and sites visited.

Were you on HAL? Good to know about the HoHo, we used it in Barcelona and it was great.