Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
Kiwi_cruiser

Suggestion on what to do in Trinidad for the day??

Recommended Posts

We have never been to Trinidad before.

 

I was wondering what did you do there for the day?? and What would you recommend doing there for the day??

 

Also can you snorkel at Trinidad?

 

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We visit Trinidad on 19 November from 0800 to 1700 aboard Caribbean Princess. We can't seem to find any private excursions or suggestions regarding where to go or what the snorkelling is like. The ship only has one tour which we don't fancy. I am aware of the travel advisories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We have never been to Trinidad before.

 

I was wondering what did you do there for the day?? and What would you recommend doing there for the day??

 

Also can you snorkel at Trinidad?

 

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome :)

 

For snorkelling from the beach, then consider Maracas Bay, it's not great sport there, also very busy, noisey, with strong smells of various BBQ food vendors, and can be progressively rubbish strewn as the day proceeds.

 

Our pick. Take a taxi to las Cuevas beach, well away from T'erds. A boat fisherman's moorings beach, loved by locals. Quiet, plenty of space, no condos or hotels, just a beach backed by jungle. No snorkelling experience, gentle waves, shallow beach slope, a small snack bar (serving ice cold Guinness) and basic facilities.

A place for discerning cruisers. Get to meet locals and lime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any idea of taxi prices to Maracus beach and would they wait for you for a few hours then take you back to ship? arriving on Caribbean Princess in November. Or does anyone have the name of reputable tour guides used for a tour of the island ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Any idea of taxi prices to Maracus beach and would they wait for you for a few hours then take you back to ship? arriving on Caribbean Princess in November. Or does anyone have the name of reputable tour guides used for a tour of the island ?

 

 

I was there on the CB this spring. They have a shore excursion to Maracas Beach, transpo only. They were adamant that there was no "guiding", just the ride over and back, which was all I really wanted.

 

It was very popular, so they would fill up a van and then head out. Turns out we did have a young fellow pointing out points of interest and giving a little history as we drove through town and along the way.

 

We had a designated time to be back to our van (Several hours, cannot remember exactly). It was plenty of time to relax on the beach, swim if you want (it is pretty rough), have a few drinks and a must do - Bake and Shark sandwich.

 

It was an easy, safe way to go to the beach, $50. It's about a 30 - 45 minute drive, very scenic.

TIP - take a photo of your van/driver/license plate. There were about 50 white vans in the parking lot at Maracas taking people to and from the ship. You need to take the same one back that you came in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the information.... our ship runs an excursion taking you to Maracas Beach with a brief 10min stop at Maracas lookout for $49.95 per person - a 4 hr trip. If the taxi is around $50 we may as well take the Ship tour.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2018 at 8:19 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

 

For snorkelling from the beach, then consider Maracas Bay, it's not great sport there, also very busy, noisey, with strong smells of various BBQ food vendors, and can be progressively rubbish strewn as the day proceeds.

 

Our pick. Take a taxi to las Cuevas beach, well away from T'erds. A boat fisherman's moorings beach, loved by locals. Quiet, plenty of space, no condos or hotels, just a beach backed by jungle. No snorkelling experience, gentle waves, shallow beach slope, a small snack bar (serving ice cold Guinness) and basic facilities.

A place for discerning cruisers. Get to meet locals and lime.

 

Hey!!! I have a genuine interest in doing las Cuevas beach, "well away from T'erds'" and "meeting locals and lime" sounds awesome!! I'm a "discerning cruiser" as well!! 

The "snack bar" ok I'm your typical T'erd I simply cant take Guinness I assume they serve other beer "ice cold" as well??

 Guinness......your a helluva man, and I'm a drinker, world renowned.😉 Guinness cant do it.

The "snack bar" I'm not picky but after about 3 or 4 hours of the liquid diet in the sun, I may want something to eat. Can I get something, maybe a sandwich or something along those lines? Love the idea of no hotels, no condo's and liming with locals, btw cab fare to las Cuevas beach approx?? Thanks for all the great info. Todd

 

Hey you gave me all that great info about picking up beer on St. John!! On the 28th of this month we will be there with 5 other ships in port, I'm doing exactly what you said, heading over to St. John(calling in my beer order), picking up my cooler brewski's and going straight to Trunk Bay, with NO ONE else!! Thank you very much........btw how long have you been doing all this??😁

 

That info you gave me on St. John, that's the only way to go. Brilliant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First a thank you from me for an acknowledgment.

Cruised for many years.  Started on Cunard Countess.  Stopped counting at 100 cruises.

 

Okay, let's start on your requirements.

The snack bar is a favourite of locals and taxi drivers passing through, as there is a huge car park area,  being well above the beach.   Your first view of the bay willl be from the car park.  Bet you'll sigh.  Snack bar serves a great variety of food, including local treats, so there will be something for you. As it supported by locals, and has hardly any Cruise/holiday visitors, all prices are very reasonable.  Tips welcomed.

With regard to beer, they had Ice cold Carib and Stag plus another which I can't remember.

Last visit, 3 years ago, we hired our driver for day, as we wanted to be assured of a ride back to the ship, giving $120.00 (4pax) plus tip.  Gave a great mini tour there and back, with stops for photographs..

Check out the Internet for photographs etc.

On driving past Maracas, you'll smile, being pleased you kept going.

 

Happy to answer any other questions.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

First a thank you from me for an acknowledgment.

Cruised for many years.  Started on Cunard Countess.  Stopped counting at 100 cruises.

 

Okay, let's start on your requirements.

The snack bar is a favourite of locals and taxi drivers passing through, as there is a huge car park area,  being well above the beach.   Your first view of the bay willl be from the car park.  Bet you'll sigh.  Snack bar serves a great variety of food, including local treats, so there will be something for you. As it supported by locals, and has hardly any Cruise/holiday visitors, all prices are very reasonable.  Tips welcomed.

With regard to beer, they had Ice cold Carib and Stag plus another which I can't remember.

Last visit, 3 years ago, we hired our driver for day, as we wanted to be assured of a ride back to the ship, giving $120.00 (4pax) plus tip.  Gave a great mini tour there and back, with stops for photographs..

Check out the Internet for photographs etc.

On driving past Maracas, you'll smile, being pleased you kept going.

 

Happy to answer any other questions.

 

 

 

100+ cruises, Cunard Countess I see that, gotcha.

PORT ROYAL there will be times on these boards when someone like yourself will have to completely overlook someone like myself, let me first off say, I appreciate it. 

Caribe and Stag beers are perfect I just cant drink Guinness(much less out in the sun) and make it back to the ship. The snack bar will be more than adequate, I much prefer local treats. I'll be there if I have to go by myself, like I always do.

PORT ROYAL thanks for all the great info, info. that like actually matters. Btw I'll be on the Caribbean Princess, leaving 3 weeks from today Nov.25th-Dec.9th, you know the old 14 day deal!!

Doing EXACTLY what you said on St. John, we dock at Havensight on the 28th, calling the St. John market on Sunday morning before we leave Port Everglades, placing my order to be picked up on Wed. the 28th, how AWESOME is that!! 

Don't blame me it was your idea. There's no other way to do it, I'm taking my cooler full of beer hopping on a taxi and going straight to Trunk, if they're lucky!!!😊

 

One more question have you ever been to a place on St. Kitts called Palm Court Gardens, what did you think?? I reserved a lounger there for Friday, Nov.30th for $12US, which I thought was very reasonable. Menu looked wonderful many "local treats", $2.60 Caribe beers, we've always in the past on St. Kitts went straight to the Marriott, was going to start out at Palm Court Gardens and migrate over to the Marriott after lunch. 

Thank you very much Todd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a nice place, but was a destination for Tightwads, complete with solid and liquid  browsings from ship's buffet, (as possible to walk there).  This 'no spending' attitude is sad, as their food was good and tasty.  

Also was a destination of Ship's Crew (possible to walk there + a chance let their hair down for a couple of hours of land time close to the ship).

Only one visit, 5 years ago and left after lunch. Possible clientele may have changed.

 

 

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back on a cruise that stopped in Trinidad.  Not set up for cruise ships or tourists. Docked in a Industrial area with no cleats to tie up. Bay is brown with sewage and garbage.  Outside of the  2 hotels  next to the dock, the sidewalks are uneven and with numerous potholes, therefore you have to be careful where you walk. One passenger was robbed that I heard of out and there was probably many more. People that booked beach tour got their money back as the beach was strewn with garbage and brown sewage water like the Port.  No warning by Princess of the extreme danger for this Port, but the Caribbean Princess is the first ship coming from USA to visit the Port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for your post chewap.  We are going on the  Caribbean Princess there soon, and based on this, we will stay on the ship for sure.  Sounds like it is as bad as I heard it might be!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 2:21 PM, chewap said:

Just got back on a cruise that stopped in Trinidad.  Not set up for cruise ships or tourists. Docked in a Industrial area with no cleats to tie up. Bay is brown with sewage and garbage.  Outside of the  2 hotels  next to the dock, the sidewalks are uneven and with numerous potholes, therefore you have to be careful where you walk. One passenger was robbed that I heard of out and there was probably many more. People that booked beach tour got their money back as the beach was strewn with garbage and brown sewage water like the Port.  No warning by Princess of the extreme danger for this Port, but the Caribbean Princess is the first ship coming from USA to visit the Port.

 

 

Urgent - So so sad

Many thanks for the heads up

A telephone call has determined, that because of serious problems with all water treatment plants these beaches

Maracas Bay

Las Cuevas

Blanchicheusse

are suffering from raw effluent having been discharged directly into the rivers.

The rivers flow into the sea, and the sea currents move the effluent around the coast.

This has been going on for a some time, and the TT Government do not have the funds to correct it.  Some time in 1919 there may be some improvement is muted.

 

Also the lack of public facilities has encouraged residents to resort to 'Al Fresco' ablutions.

 

In essence, to quote my friend, we (Trinidad) are becoming one big S#1t H01e

 

One must ask as to why ship's are docking at a potential health hazard.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 11:02 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

 

 

Urgent - So so sad

Many thanks for the heads up

A telephone call has determined, that because of serious problems with all water treatment plants these beaches

Maracas Bay

Las Cuevas

Blanchicheusse

are suffering from raw effluent having been discharged directly into the rivers.

The rivers flow into the sea, and the sea currents move the effluent around the coast.

This has been going on for a some time, and the TT Government do not have the funds to correct it.  Some time in 1919 there may be some improvement is muted.

 

Also the lack of public facilities has encouraged residents to resort to 'Al Fresco' ablutions.

 

In essence, to quote my friend, we (Trinidad) are becoming one big S#1t H01e

 

One must ask as to why ship's are docking at a potential health hazard.

 

 

 

 

Ok, so for those of us who were planning on spending our day NEXT WEEK in Trinidad at Las Cuevas beach now what??

I didnt have a plan B, any other suggestions PORT ROYAL?? Thanks Todd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 4:38 PM, TTEllis said:

Ok, so for those of us who were planning on spending our day NEXT WEEK in Trinidad at Las Cuevas beach now what??

I didnt have a plan B, any other suggestions PORT ROYAL?? Thanks Todd

 

I'd stay in the ship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 5:19 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

 

I'd stay in the ship

I had to stay on the ship we just got back, I have to much to tell you but I was turned away at the security fence, by the police or something they would NOT let me go in town. Later Todd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TTEllis said:

I had to stay on the ship we just got back, I have to much to tell you but I was turned away at the security fence, by the police or something they would NOT let me go in town. Later Todd

 

OMG - Sounds serious 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the deal it literally kills me to be made a fool of, really blew this one. I thought the US State Dept. was exaggerating with the travel advisory my friend Diann an hour earlier at breakfast told me to unbling before I went on the island.

 

Thought I could slip through almost made it out to the street and got popped by a very serious, concerned look on his face police officer. When I came out of the terminal all the ships tours were routed to the left there was no one going out the middle doors. As I made a mad dash for the  glass doors I looked over at another very serious man who was another police officer but I didn't know that waving for me to come over and see him. I did not I was trying to get out of the parking area I thought he was trying to sell me a tour I was trying to get out of that nightmare, and out of the security area. I went right up to the gate this police officer who was NO JOKE very seriously asked me where I was going I told him I was going to the bars downtown, at the same time the police officer in the terminal was walking towards us.

They told me I had to go back to the ship and "take everything off", looking right at my bling, I got escorted back to the terminal and was pointed back to the ship.

In a matter of say 30 seconds on the greatest vacation of my life I'm the biggest loser on the planet. 

 

I couldn't go to the beach because of the raw sewer problem, I ran out of idea's and wanted to go downtown and hit a bar or two, I got escorted back into the terminal and pointed back to the ship. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TTEllis said:

Here's the deal it literally kills me to be made a fool of, really blew this one. I thought the US State Dept. was exaggerating with the travel advisory my friend Diann an hour earlier at breakfast told me to unbling before I went on the island.

 

Thought I could slip through almost made it out to the street and got popped by a very serious, concerned look on his face police officer. When I came out of the terminal all the ships tours were routed to the left there was no one going out the middle doors. As I made a mad dash for the  glass doors I looked over at another very serious man who was another police officer but I didn't know that waving for me to come over and see him. I did not I was trying to get out of the parking area I thought he was trying to sell me a tour I was trying to get out of that nightmare, and out of the security area. I went right up to the gate this police officer who was NO JOKE very seriously asked me where I was going I told him I was going to the bars downtown, at the same time the police officer in the terminal was walking towards us.

They told me I had to go back to the ship and "take everything off", looking right at my bling, I got escorted back to the terminal and was pointed back to the ship.

In a matter of say 30 seconds on the greatest vacation of my life I'm the biggest loser on the planet. 

 

I couldn't go to the beach because of the raw sewer problem, I ran out of idea's and wanted to go downtown and hit a bar or two, I got escorted back into the terminal and pointed back to the ship. 

 

 

Think the Police did not want you to discover the truth, as you would have done in a bar or two.  The Government only want visitors to partake in 'controlled' tours.

 

Best you went back to the ship, otherwise you could have walked in or touched something contaminated by a nasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2018 at 2:40 PM, canadarocks said:

Did you get a chance to talk to anybody who actually went ashore as to whether it was worthwhile?

Yep, all the bars I was going to go to, nobody ever saw a bar, the few people I talked to who got to go in town saw nothing.

If your going to do this island it's real simple, "ship tour". Later Todd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, TTEllis said:

Yep, all the bars I was going to go to, nobody ever saw a bar, the few people I talked to who got to go in town saw nothing.

If your going to do this island it's real simple, "ship tour". Later Todd

 

After what a resident said about his Island, how are you spelling the word "Ship"?

With a "T"?

Wish you luck

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...