Retreat Cabanas for Cold Weather Itineraries

jkrislc

Considering booking a Retreat Cabana on the Koningsdam for our 14 night Norway cruise. We've done the Norwegian Fjords before and were fine using public spaces, but given all of the scenic cruising we'll be doing we thought it might be nice to have a sheltered place to call our own. While a verandah cabin was an option, I couldn't justify the cost given that the airfare for the of us is less than updating to a verandah.

So my question is how are the cabanas on cooler cruises. Are they sheltered enough to offer some relief from the wind? Are deck blankets available if it gets cold?

I'm thinking this might be a good compromise for us, but would like to hear what others think.

We're crazy inmates from the Pacific Northwest, so we're used to rain and chill, and we melt when it gets above 80 degrees Fahrenheit. So we did rent a Retreat Cabana on the Eurodam for our 7-day Alaska cruise last May, 2017. We got lucky with the weather. Here are some photos:

On departure day from Seattle:

https://twocruisingsisters.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/img_0027.jpg

Glacier Bay Day:

https://twocruisingsisters.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/img_0356.jpg

Split Pea soup, a Holland America tradition, and a mimosa, both enjoyed in the cabana:

https://twocruisingsisters.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/img_0449.jpg

There were some chilly and blustery days, but the cabana attendants brought us blankets and hot coffee, spiked with a little something, to help us keep warm. The weather was mostly cooperative though, and having a cabana all week really made the cruise special for my sister, who was awaiting hip and knee surgery, and couldn't maneuver her way around the outside decks and the bow as she usually does on these Alaska cruises.

I booked and enjoyed a Family Cabana on the Noordam in Alaska. All cold, some times rain glory. Not in a surprising feat that this cabin was the only one booked for the whole week from Seaward to Vancouver. Only on glacier bay was there another cabana booked for the day.

But being the only booking I did inform the steward attending....well, just us.... if we would use the cabana for the rest of the day or skipping a day so he did not just wait around for us silly persons enjoying the cold and rain.

We're crazy inmates from the Pacific Northwest, so we're used to rain and chill, and we melt when it gets above 80 degrees Fahrenheit. So we did rent a Retreat Cabana on the Eurodam for our 7-day Alaska cruise last May, 2017. We got lucky with the weather. Here are some photos:

Glacier Bay Day:

Split Pea soup, a Holland America tradition, and a mimosa, both enjoyed in the cabana:

There were some chilly and blustery days, but the cabana attendants brought us blankets and hot coffee, spiked with a little something, to help us keep warm. The weather was mostly cooperative though, and having a cabana all week really made the cruise special for my sister, who was awaiting hip and knee surgery, and couldn't maneuver her way around the outside decks and the bow as she usually does on these Alaska cruises.

Your pictures are worth 1000 words. Thanks.

Glacier Bay Day:

Wow! Yes. That really helps me feel like we will enjoy the space and the views.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally, I would not. The retreat cabanas on K'dam are quite small compared to the ones on Eurodam and NA. No dining table, just a very small side table. On K'dam's upper Lido deck there are private, curtained areas with lounge beds, chairs and a table. They are free to use and the views are terrific. On our Europe cruise on K'dam we virtually lived there! The New York Deli is steps away! Our veranda was seldom used on this cruise because we preferred the pool area. Have a wonderful cruise on K'dam!

• 1 year later...

BirthdayGirl30 - did you end up enjoying having the cabana on your Alaskan Cruise?  We are going on the Eurodam next July (2020) and have already booked the Costa del Sol family cabana, but was worried a bit about weather (although we do hail from the Pacific Northwest).  Also - I'm wondering if I should book the Capri on the port side.  Does anyone have suggestions on that?

Well, we also booked a cabana on the Eurodam for our Alaska cruise July 2020. I'm not concerned about temperature, just that they will be open. I am expecting to bundle up and view the scenery from an excellent location, imbibing an Irish coffee with my husband.  

We have booked a cabana on a cold water itinerary before. When Oceania still had cabanas, we rented one on our Norwegian cruise. Yes, it was colder!  We bundled up, took excellent pictures and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. 

As far as which cabana to choose, you will see almost everything from the corner locations of the family cabanas. Let's hope we both enjoy!

another thought....the cabanas have canvas walls. Should keep the wind out?

I never ended up booking the cabana after asking this question a year ago. The entire cabana area was closed for the entire two week Norway cruise and not a single cabana was in use. In fact, some of them were being used for storage. This, obviously, may differ in Alaska where the temperatures tend to be a bit warmer.

• 1 month later...

GrammieK, I also hope they will be open.  We leave July 4 - how about you?  I'm hoping with a July sailing date we might hit some good weather, but being from Washington, I know you can't count on July for good weather.  I can endure the cool as long as they don't close them down.  By the way, do you know if you get any money back if they shut them down for a full day or more?

We will be on the Eurodam on July 18th. Our last Alaska cruise was in August and we had great weather. 

I'm not sure if money is refunded for partial closing. Hoping that won't happen!  I think I mentioned that we've had a cabana in cold weather before (Norway cruise on Oceania) and we used the cabana most days. 

Whatever happens, enjoy Alaska and the cabana!

k

12 minutes ago, Windsailer said:

We had a Retreat Cabana on the Eurodam on our cruise from FLL to SEA several years ago. It was great and we used it every day - even on the portion from San Diego to SEA even though it was a bit chilly. 

Good to know!  Thanks!

On 5/17/2018 at 4:09 PM, BirthdayGirl30 said:

Thanks for asking this. We’re booking the Family Retreat Cabana for Alaska, and someone asked why on Earth we would because of the chill. Now, I am worrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please let us know what you decide and give feedback if you do choose the cabana.  I've booked one for late next year up in Alaska on the Kdam and am wondering if it was money well spent.  I booked one on one of the sides to keep the rain and the wind off of us but,  I am still curious to know if this will do the trick.  

GrammieK, since you've used the Cabanas before, I was wondering if I could ask you a couple of questions.  I'm trying to get the feel for where they are located.  Are the cabanas located so that we are looking off the back of the ship or would they be facing forward?  Also, is there any difference or advantage to which side you are on?  We have reserved the Costa del Sol on the Starboard side.  I believe we are allowed in our Cabana basically anytime, but service is only available certain times of the day, correct? I was hoping we might be able to see Fireworks from our Cabana as we sail through the San Juans on the 4th of July (my birthday)! Thanks so much!

52 minutes ago, EOwens said:

Are the cabanas located so that we are looking off the back of the ship or would they be facing forward? 

Most face aft, over the pool roof, like in the picture in post #3:

On 5/17/2018 at 7:21 PM, Old As Dirt Mom said:

52 minutes ago, EOwens said:

I believe we are allowed in our Cabana basically anytime, but service is only available certain times of the day, correct?

I believe you are not allowed in there are night. Not long ago someone asked if they could sleep there at night and Copper10-8 (who works for HAL security) said no.

Edited by catl331

48 minutes ago, EOwens said:

GrammieK, since you've used the Cabanas before, I was wondering if I could ask you a couple of questions.  I'm trying to get the feel for where they are located.  Are the cabanas located so that we are looking off the back of the ship or would they be facing forward?  Also, is there any difference or advantage to which side you are on?  We have reserved the Costa del Sol on the Starboard side.  I believe we are allowed in our Cabana basically anytime, but service is only available certain times of the day, correct? I was hoping we might be able to see Fireworks from our Cabana as we sail through the San Juans on the 4th of July (my birthday)! Thanks so much!

I seem to remember they took in the cushions from our cabana loungers after "closing" in the evening on Eurodam.  There wasn't much point going to the cabana just to stand there.  If you can see the fireworks from the cabana, you will have an even better view from the top decks of the ship. 

Hi Eowens,

if you google Eurodam retreat cabanas, you will likely find a schematic of the layout. I think there are also videos on YouTube, just enter (name of ship) retreat cabanas. 

The family cabanas are on the corners. Imagine a 3 sided square....rather, 3 sides of a square....cabanas are along each side with the majority along the end overlooking the pool. Be aware, however, if roof on pool closed, your view is of the pool roof!  Never a problem for us!   The rest of the "square" is filled with common area lounges, chairs, etc for your use as well. 

I hope this helps you, but let me know if you need more info. Just my opinion, it is a great experience!  No need to find a lounge chair or get lunch or drinks. Cold water awaits in an ice bucket and various treats are delivered all day. Enjoy!

k

p.s.  I think the cushions may remain out unless inclement weather and there may be a special event in the cabana area "after hours" but there are 2 staircases adjacent to the area that would be a great viewing area for fire works if you can't gain access to cabanas. Hope that works for you!  Oh, and service is provided all day...maybe 9-5?

When I booked my cabana for the week for an Alaskan sailing, they told me the hours were from 9-5 ... 

I was hoping to get in earlier ... probably not stay later as it is very late in the Alaska season so probably would be on the chilly side so staying open late isn't as much of an issue for us.  They may stay open later on warmer weather sailings.