Jeans in the dining room and other last minute attire questions

ekatiel

No, but you did imply that the look is typical of what the 'Jeans look' would be, and how could that look not be viewed as 'smart casual'.

When the reality is (from our experience) that most folks sporting jeans in the MDR do not look like that at all. It is typically more like jeans and a t-shirt, or perhaps a polo. And this is a far cry from the photo you posted.

Well, no, I didn't imply anything. I stated that the picture I posted was at least "smart casual," even though the guy was wearing jeans.

This thread is really becoming a gripe-fest. It's like Nextdoor on the ocean.

Why split the atom?

Jeans are permitted in the MDR on non gala nights. It matters not what you think about that or what some people try to imply, or should I say distort, HAL's attire guidelines.

You might not like it but that is the bottom line. If it really does ruin your cruise you might want to take a look at the Cunard offerings. The fact that in someone's opinion jeans are not smart casual has absolutely zero bearing on the issue. Jeans are permitted. All of the words and comments will not change that FACT.

Tuxes are allowed on formal nights. So does that imply that someone who sports some ridiculous looking 30 year old tux that looks like something out of the movie costume dept. is not be dressed appropriately? Or some size 18 woman poured into a size 10 dress that she wore years ago? I don't think so. Both are no different than that mysterious, hypothetical person who wears ripped jeans, a dirty tshirt,, flip flops and clearly has not bathed in days(according to some no doubt) to the MDR.

Edited by iancal

It seems only reasonable to respect the choices of other passengers even when you may not agree with those choices.

Respect certainly does cut both ways.

Yes it does. But not when the “choices” of passengers impact the crew. Putting the matre’d in the position of having to police attire on gala evenings as people enter the mdr is just selfish. He has a protocol he has been trained to observe and those who choose to thwart that protocol are putting him in the awkward position of having to pull people aside and ask them to change or eat elsewhere. So it’s not just the other passengers, but the crew who are being impacted by not following the posted dress code.

20 cruises and counting!

Would that be the Dutch National Anthem? I'm being facetious, but seriously--the two things are not analogous.

In any event, I think that most of us grown-ups have a sense of what is appropriate attire for a particular venue (and "appropriate" is indeed subjective). For those who truly have no clue, well, welcome to life; that's just how it goes sometimes.

But how about we stop with the judgy, attire-policing? Go on about your own business.

If only what you say is true. But from the many posts on this site and others, there are plenty of grown-ups who choose to ignore “appropriate attire” in favor of “ I’ll wear whatever I please”. And talking about judging....seems you’re doing some of that judging yourself.

20 cruises and counting!

Yes, but I didn't allude to any of those things, now, did I.

You miss the point. It's the overall look in total, not the individual components of that look, that determine 'smart casual'. Jeans, in and of themselves, are only one component.

Now do you understand?

Jeans in the dining room is going to supersede smoking thread. It will take a while but i'm confidant it will beat it.

You’re probably right! 🤣🤣

20 cruises and counting!

But those same jeans with a t-shirt would drop it down to mere 'casual'. A t-shirt with a printed tux on it would bring it further down to 'tacky'.

Too funny. My husband has one of these. Wore it once, to a party. He joked about taking it for "dress up" night. We laughed.

Ha! Check out Cunard's discussions sometime! Lord have mercy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see a lot of reference to the “fashion police” as though it is a BAD thing. Actually, I think it’s a GOOD thing that people care enough to help guide first time cruisers so they don’t get embarrassed by dressing inappropriately. Having said that, the dress code has relaxed quite a bit over the years, so I don’t think any of us in the ranks of the “fashion police” are advising people to wear tuxes and gowns, not even suits and ties, but do we really need to keep defending our right to recommend that people follow the dress code posted by HAL?

20 cruises and counting!

I see a lot of reference to the “fashion police” as though it is a BAD thing.
It is. The term does not refer to people who have an eye on the actual requirements (where jeans are perfectly acceptable on most nights, for example) but rather people who try to imply that their personal preference should prevail, personal preferences such as for making suggestions into requirements, or for imposing their own personal definition of what smart casual means into others rather than respecting others making that determination for themselves just as they have.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

It seems those who criticize the “fashion police” are doing exactly what they are accusing the “fashion police” of doing....”implying that their personal preference” for not dressing appropriately should prevail. It’s just two sides of the same coin.

I believe that there are quite a few fashion police who would argue against jeans in the MDR on non gala nights notwithstanding HAL guidelines to the contrary.

It is one thing to voice one's opinion, it is quite another to mislead posters about HAL's guidelines simply because of this personal opinion. The fashion police label has been well earned by a number of posters who appear to believe that world should live by their beliefs, their opinions, and their standards.

It seems those who criticize the “fashion police” are doing exactly what they are accusing the “fashion police” of doing....”implying that their personal preference” for not dressing appropriately should prevail. It’s just two sides of the same coin.

Thats the problem with finger pointing, three point back at you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not at all. Deferring to what the cruise line actually says it requires when talking about what the cruise line requires is the exact opposite of putting forward personal preference.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

HAL could easily solve the problem if they did not refer to the "Dress Code" as "guidelines". The word suggests that the choice is up to the passenger to decide what they want to wear and is only a suggestion. If they were to just call it a Dress Code it could easily be enforced with very little wiggle room. If HAL or any cruise line wants to set up any kind of enforceable rule they can not call it merely a "guideline".

I see a lot of reference to the “fashion police” as though it is a BAD thing.

I totally agree. There's nothing wrong with wanting a certain decorum maintained aboard HAL ships. I don't get wrapped around the axle on what other people wear, but I do like that lines like HAL maintain decent guidelines rather than going the way of NCL. Nothing against NCL...I just don't think MDRs that allow shorts are appropriate for a line like HAL.

And yes, the folks pushing for casual can be just as pushy as those who are strict about the rules. Heck, just look at post counts on this thread to see who is most pushy of their own opinions. ;)

... "guidelines". The word suggests that the choice is up to the passenger
They use the terms, "required," and, "not permitted," to clearly distinguish between what is and is not up to the passenger.

"Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

"Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen collared shirt and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants . For ladies, dressy attire is appropriate, dresses skirts and slacks are all acceptable."

I chose to wear attire suitable for gala nights on smart casual nights, and more formal attire on gala nights. That's my choice, not something I should expect others to do.

Well, no, I didn't imply anything. I stated that the picture I posted was at least "smart casual," even though the guy was wearing jeans.

You make my case that you did imply that folks wearing jeans qualifies as 'smart casual', because of your comment to the effect of 'look at this picture of a guy wearing jeans, and how can this not be considered 'smart casual'?

Point is that most folks who choose to wear jeans in the MDR are not dressed like the guy in your picture, which drops their level of attire below the 'smart casual' threshold; so we're not comparing apples to apples in your analogy.

"Smart casual" is an ambiguous term. HAL has given a definition for everyone to follow. So it doesn't matter if someone is wearing jeans with a jacket or not.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

I keep forgetting that the cruise line has resolved this matter definitively already, putting jeans firmly in the scope of "smart casual". Of course those who want to make it sound like their preference is the rule will find some excuse to ignore what their host had said about the matter.

You make my case that you did imply that folks wearing jeans qualifies as 'smart casual', because of your comment to the effect of 'look at this picture of a guy wearing jeans, and how can this not be considered 'smart casual'?

Point is that most folks who choose to wear jeans in the MDR are not dressed like the guy in your picture, which drops their level of attire below the 'smart casual' threshold; so we're not comparing apples to apples in your analogy.

I love it when people tell me what I am implying. I believe that my words and accompanying photo were specific.

This thread is like that interminable committee meeting that just won't die.