Jeans in the dining room and other last minute attire questions

ekatiel

Best advice: Read the cruise guidelines:

Collared shirt and trousers for men. That says it all. No interpretation needed. You can't go wrong with that suggestion ......... and certainly can't go wrong with adding to it.

This. Ultimately, its up to the Maitre' d to decide whether your dress is acceptable or not. Yes, the dress code is pretty clearly stated but Alaska is also a little more casual than other cruises. Just be prepared for the possibility of being turned away due to a collarless shirt

On my last two Holland cruises, those 'special items' including the lobster tails, were available on he buffet. Hardly special.

While we did notice that there were some Gala Night "special items" on the buffet, not all. And I know that they are mass produced in the kitchens but something about having lobster out under a warmer..........

On my last two Holland cruises, those 'special items' including the lobster tails, were available on he buffet. Hardly special.
That makes no sense. An item is special regardless of where it is offered. In the dining room, both the item AND the venue are special. Relocating the item doesn't change that.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Honestly, I find poor manners to be far more egregious than jeans or a t-shirt.
That's the truth.

*Totally* inflammatory. Every time a dress code thread is started I start taking over/unders on how long it'll take for one of the "Fashion Police" to post their opinions(and to probably turn a few people who would have cruised Holland America off and consider other cruise lines.
That's one reason why those who find such "poor manners to be far more egregious" need to speak up more in these threads despite the routine browbeating those you refer to as the "Fashion Police" generally inflict on others here. There won't be a reasonable balance for those casual readers to appreciate if those who care about manners remain silent.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

I cannot believe there is a person who would say that this outfit is not smart casual, if not better. And look, JEANS!

https://s31.postimg.cc/pz8ls9a1n/DP0204201517024985_M.jpg

In any event, you may be dressed to the nines, but if you're sitting in front of your baked Alaska with a sour puss, judging the attire of everyone around you, then I just hope you're not sitting next to me.

Edited by DallasBiskit
added three words.

If you google 'docker pants' and look at images I think they mean every type of casual pants except jeans. We would call them Chinos or slacks. What would you call them in UK?

We also sometimes call them Chinos here in the U.S. 'Dockers' is just one of many brands of Chinos sold here, and one of the more popular ones.

Sort of like calling all corn chips 'Fritos', or all facial tissues 'Kleenex'.

That makes no sense. An item is special regardless of where it is offered. In the dining room, both the item AND the venue are special. Relocating the item doesn't change that.

Often on this forum, some say refer to a 'special menu' in the main dining room on gala nights. Or, they refer to the 'special items' on the menu. They even say they don't want to miss the 'special items' in the MDR on Gala Nights. My point was this: these items aren't very 'special' if you can get these 'special items' on the buffet.

BTW, we don't think the MDR is all that 'special'. It is loud, crowded, and very pretentious. We actual prefer the more 'special' atmosphere in the buffet.

Often on this forum, some say refer to a 'special menu' in the main dining room on gala nights. Or, they refer to the 'special items' on the menu. They even say they don't want to miss the 'special items' in the MDR on Gala Nights. My point was this: these items aren't very 'special' if you can get these 'special items' on the buffet.

BTW, we don't think the MDR is all that 'special'. It is loud, crowded, and very pretentious. We actual prefer the more 'special' atmosphere in the buffet.

Fair enough. As someone who doesn't eat meat, I surely don't consider filet mignon as "special", but will consider some eggplant dishes as such. I think, though, such considerations lead to nothing but confusion. For words to have meaning they either have to be acknowledged as subjective ("I consider XXX special") or reflect an objective attribute (such as calling things "special" because they are notably rare).

There are far too many cases where people are relating that something is bad simply because the don't like it. That doesn't help *anyone* enjoy their cruise vacations better. I think we can do better than that.

This. Ultimately, its up to the Maitre' d to decide whether your dress is acceptable or not. Yes, the dress code is pretty clearly stated but Alaska is also a little more casual than other cruises. Just be prepared for the possibility of being turned away due to a collarless shirt

This is so very true. On our last cruise in April on the Eurodam I asked the Maitre'D one night if the dress code had been eliminated since on several nights I saw many 18-25 year old girls in short shorts and many other passengers wearing jeans and t-shirts. This was not on the first night but on ALL nights. He told me that all he could do was inform them of the dress code but if they insisted to wear what they had on he could do nothing and had to allow them in the dining room.

This is my first cruise and I was really looking forward to gala night, I even bought a new long evening dress for it. Now I'm wondering if it is even worth packing it!

Pack it and wear it. I promise you will receive more than one compliment from another passenger, and other women will think "I wish I brought mine...".

It's easy to dress down, as so many do nowadays for many occasions. Any one can do that.

It's Gala night, however, which is a special night onboard, on purpose.

If you want to wear your new evening dress, and you love how it makes you feel, wear it, and enjoy it. You will have more admiring glances than you know !

This is my first cruise and I was really looking forward to gala night, I even bought a new long evening dress for it. Now I'm wondering if it is even worth packing it!

Of course it is worth packing it, if you want to wear it. (y)

I wore both (gasp) jeans (smart casual) and a long dress (gala night) to dinners while on our recent cruise.

I agree with boatdrill's comment, too

If you want to wear your new evening dress, and you love how it makes you feel, wear it, and enjoy it. You will have more admiring glances than you know !

In our opinion you will not miss much by not eating in the MDR on gala/formal nights. Does this sound better?

Well....one thing you may miss is very slow, elongated service and a high noise level.

Just got back from a 14 day Alaska trip on the Zaandam. Trip was awesome. Ship was in great shape. Food was meh. Okay but not like years ago in selection and taste. Saw one Tux and jeans in the MDR during gala night. No one said anything and no one cared. Granted Alaska cruises are a bit more relaxed.

Dan

As far as dress code, this is one of the most hotly debated issues on this site. I recommend the first thing you should do is read the dress code published by the cruise line. After reading it, make your own judgment on whether you think it is intended as a “recommendation” or a “requirement”. Once you decide for yourself, then review other people’s experiences. Just be prepared that if you choose to dress too casually for the dining rooms, the cruise line will always retain the right to stop you from entering the dining rooms if they don’t think you are dressed appropriately. So if that happens, just accept it gracefully and either go back to your cabin and change or go to the buffet. Carnival, RCI, and NCL tend to be more casual and relaxed with minimal enforcement, and Princess, HAL and Celebrity tend to enforce it more on formal nights. But nothing is an absolute. Enforcement depends on the individuals checking people into the dining rooms. But remember, no one ever got turned away from the dining room for dressing too nicely; but they have been turned away for dressing too casually.

20 cruises and counting!

This. ^^^^

The following was shared with me by a friend whose husband is a bridge officer: It's a very appreciated sign of respect for the ship, crew and officers when passengers dress well.

I agree! It is a sign of respect for the ship and tradition. The ship’s officers dress formally as a sign of respect to the passengers, it seems only reasonable that passengers return the same show of respect in the attire they choose to wear. Sort of like standing for a national anthem.

20 cruises and counting!

I’m not the fashion police. When I retired, I wanted no part of suit and tie. But I understand that looking better than a t shirt and jeans shows respect for fellow diners, and respect for the cruising experience. If we need a more casual experience after a busy port, or because we just feel like we don’t need the more formal multi course spread in the MDR, there’s always the Lido. I thought that when HAL changed to smart casual, similar to many work environments, it was an improvement, and recognition of changing norms. There are other losses of cruise tradition, like specialty nights in the MDR and waiters on the Promenade deck. But, we keep cruising HAL because of the balance. Mostly what people wear is their own business, but I do think that a little effort goes a long way to show respect for fellow table mates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well said @drlee. It’s not always about what “you” want. Sometimes it’s nice to consider others.

20 cruises and counting!

I agree @not-so-ancient Mariner (love your username btw)! I cruise often on HAL and have seen many people turned away from the mdr on gala evenings if they aren’t dressed appropriately.

20 cruises and counting!

It’s not always about what “you” want. Sometimes it’s nice to consider others.
Something that cuts both ways. Are you sure that your comments "consider others" to the same extent you expect other passengers to consider others?

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I cannot believe there is a person who would say that this outfit is not smart casual, if not better. And look, JEANS!

https://s31.postimg.cc/pz8ls9a1n/DP0204201517024985_M.jpg

The crisp, white dress shirt and blazer set this look firmly in the realm of 'smart casual'. (Even the same jeans with a polo shirt meet HAL's code on smart casual nights.)

But those same jeans with a t-shirt would drop it down to mere 'casual'. A t-shirt with a printed tux on it would bring it further down to 'tacky'.

Something that cuts both ways. Are you sure that your comments "consider others" to the same extent you expect other passengers to consider others?

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Absolutely! And considering others doesn’t only apply to fellow passengers. What about consideration for the Matre’d who gets put in the unenviable position of having to stop someone from entering the mdr if they are inappropriately dressed.

I agree! It is a sign of respect for the ship and tradition. The ship’s officers dress formally as a sign of respect to the passengers, it seems only reasonable that passengers return the same show of respect in the attire they choose to wear. Sort of like standing for a national anthem.

20 cruises and counting!

It seems only reasonable to respect the choices of other passengers even when you may not agree with those choices.

Respect certainly does cut both ways.

The crisp, white dress shirt and blazer set this look firmly in the realm of 'smart casual'. (Even the same jeans with a polo shirt meet HAL's code on smart casual nights.)

But those same jeans with a t-shirt would drop it down to mere 'casual'. A t-shirt with a printed tux on it would bring it further down to 'tacky'.

Yes, but I didn't allude to any of those things, now, did I.

20 cruises and counting!

Would that be the Dutch National Anthem? I'm being facetious, but seriously--the two things are not analogous.

In any event, I think that most of us grown-ups have a sense of what is appropriate attire for a particular venue (and "appropriate" is indeed subjective). For those who truly have no clue, well, welcome to life; that's just how it goes sometimes.

But how about we stop with the judgy, attire-policing? Go on about your own business.

Yes, but I didn't allude to any of those things, now, did I.

No, but you did imply that the look is typical of what the 'Jeans look' would be, and how could that look not be viewed as 'smart casual'.

When the reality is (from our experience) that most folks sporting jeans in the MDR do not look like that at all. It is typically more like jeans and a t-shirt, or perhaps a polo. And this is a far cry from the photo you posted.