RC Food Quality

After taking a break from cruising for a number of years we recently booked a cruise in September to Bermuda on the Serenade of the Seas. Having already observed a noticeable decline in food quality over the years (industry wide) we were planning to book premium dining for the majority, if not all, of our dinners for this cruise.

After reading this thread I am now wondering if this will even be a disappointment thus am reconsidering. Serenade only has a few options for premium dining and keep hearing Chops Grille getting bashed but luckily we are familiar with a number of great onshore restaurants for our 3-days in port. What a shame with the onboard food but our fingers are crossed....

What options does RC offer for lunch? During the day, we're usually laying by the pool or in the sun and just want a "little something" for lunch, such as a chicken tenders or a burger. Are these options readily available on the pool deck near the buffet? From what I'm reading, they're not...

What options does RC offer for lunch? During the day, we're usually laying by the pool or in the sun and just want a "little something" for lunch, such as a chicken tenders or a burger. Are these options readily available on the pool deck near the buffet? From what I'm reading, they're not...

Royal generally does not have food readily available near the pool deck. Exceptions would be Vision and Radiance class ships with Park Cafe in the Solarium. Some ships also do a poolside buffet once in a while, but not every day. Most of the time you would have to go to Windjammer.

Royal generally does not have food readily available near the pool deck. Exceptions would be Vision and Radiance class ships with Park Cafe in the Solarium. Some ships also do a poolside buffet once in a while, but not every day. Most of the time you would have to go to Windjammer.

Are these options available in the Windjammer? Burgers, hot dogs, chicken tender, etc.. ? I believe someone mentioned the only options in the Windjammer during lunch is dinner style offerings, such as casseroles and heavy items. We'll be on the Anthem, which has a Cafe @ 270, I've also read that they'll package up your order to take somewhere else on the ship, is this true?

I appreciate your opinion as we're also new RC cruisers who will be on the Anthem next May. On our past carnival cruises, the last one being in 2015, we were satisfied with the food. So, I'm hoping to receive the same on RC. However, I'm starting to think all mainstream cruise lines will have sub par food...

Sub-par food appears to be a trend with all cruise lines, not just RCI (to the dismay of the RCI Cheerleader baiters). Most lines are taking hits on peoples opinions of not only the food in the MDR, Windjammer, Foodjammer (or what ever the other lines call their version of the WJ...lol), but now also on their Specialty pay for restaurants, that also are suffering in food quality, taste, and even service.

Dine with an open mind and taste buds. Don't let someone else's subjective 'expert' opinion influence your dinning experience on the Anthem.

There are many options to check out on Anthem, and you'll be the judge of what you like or don't:

Complimentary Dining

• Main dining room
  • Coastal Kitchen (suite guests only)
  • Sorrento's
  • Windjammer Marketplace
  • SeaPlex Dog House
  • The Cafe @ Two70
  • Cafe Promenade
  • Room service ($7.95 convenience fee)

Specialty Dining

• Wonderland
  • Michael's Genuine Pub
  • Chops Grille
  • Jamie's Italian
  • Chef's Table
  • Izumi
  • Johnny Rockets

With cruising being the best value vacation there is, I don't expect the food to be the same as Victoria & Albert's (which, similar to someone else's point, costs as much for one meal as a whole cruise can cost), but I usually find it to be good. I cruised once on Princess 18 years ago and I remember liking pretty much everything, but it wasn't 7 days of ultra-fine dining. Royal is somewhat hit or miss, but mostly hits. I've never gone hungry by any means. I was delighted on my first Royal cruise to find Indian food (my favorite) at the Windjammer, and other good hot meal options. The only thing in the Windjammer that really grates me are the desserts, which are consistently terrible (but I also never gain weight on a cruise). MDR food is generally very good, sometimes even if the dish doesn't look appetizing (lookin' at you, beef tenderloin, ugly but delicious). Desserts are somewhat better in the MDR, but the only two I think are really worth the calories are the Chocolate Sensation and . . . I forget the name but it's like a chocolate espresso souffle.

I've been hearing more and more that Carnival and Royal are pretty comparable on food (some say Carnival is even better because there are more included food options), and that Carnival's hot melting cake is the best dessert at sea, so I'm pretty excited to try it in November (after my summer Alaska cruise on Radiance!)

As for upgrade options on Royal, the steakhouse was eh, just okay, but I've eaten at Giovanni's twice in a 5-night cruise because it was so good.

Regarding eating in port vs. on ship, we enjoy eating new and local food everywhere we go, so ship food would have to be insanely good to get me back on just for lunch on a port day.

Are these options available in the Windjammer? Burgers, hot dogs, chicken tender, etc.. ? I believe someone mentioned the only options in the Windjammer during lunch is dinner style offerings, such as casseroles and heavy items. We'll be on the Anthem, which has a Cafe @ 270, I've also read that they'll package up your order to take somewhere else on the ship, is this true?

Cafe270 has a fair selection. Windjammers during lunch will offer the full range from salad, make-your-own roll, burgers, pizza, and more dinner-like options such as roast beef, curry, pasta, or casserole.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Burgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc., plus a pretty decent salad bar all in the Windjammer. I was criticized earlier in this threats for commenting on making a sandwich out of ham, turkey, cheeses, veggies, etc. for lunch. Not everyone wants a cooked casserole-type lunch. Never sailed on the Anthem, but assume Windjammer is like all the others.

Have taken a plate of food out by the pool and asked for a cover, but not a true packed to go; never asked.

At the risk of being branded too much of a Royal loyalist, I have been cruising since 1992, primarily on Royal. Yes, food is not what it used to be. The midnight buffet picture taking experience is long gone. However, I paid a lot more for a cruise (if you compare in today's prices).

Had some meals that weren't perfect or that great, but never starved! If you want a 5-star experience don't cruise on any of the major family cruiselines. Pick a luxury line, pay for it, and my goodness be prepared to dress nicely for dinner (said tongue in cheek - can't have it both ways!!!!! Before someone thinks I am correlating food with dress - notice I said jokingly. )

Finally, as I said earlier, anyone who puts up with cold food or bad food, I.e. Under/over cooked is being foolish. Staff really do try to accommodate everyone. Speak up - don't let it go on all week and return home and complain.

While I've not been on Anthem, every other Windjammer I've seen has had burgers, fries, hot dogs, and pizza (among many other choices that change daily) available for every lunch. Sometimes they have fried chicken, but not every day.

Sub-par food appears to be a trend with all cruise lines, not just RCI (to the dismay of the RCI Cheerleader baiters). Most lines are taking hits on peoples opinions of not only the food in the MDR, Windjammer, Foodjammer (or what ever the other lines call their version of the WJ...lol), but now also on their Specialty pay for restaurants, that also are suffering in food quality, taste, and even service.

Dine with an open mind and taste buds. Don't let someone else's subjective 'expert' opinion influence your dinning experience on the Anthem.

There are many options to check out on Anthem, and you'll be the judge of what you like or don't:

Complimentary Dining

• Main dining room
  • Coastal Kitchen (suite guests only)
  • Sorrento's
  • Windjammer Marketplace
  • SeaPlex Dog House
  • The Cafe @ Two70
  • Cafe Promenade
  • Room service ($7.95 convenience fee)

Specialty Dining

• Wonderland
  • Michael's Genuine Pub
  • Chops Grille
  • Jamie's Italian
  • Chef's Table
  • Izumi
  • Johnny Rockets

Thank you for this! Do you know if the solarium bistro is included? I've read conflicting reports.

With cruising being the best value vacation there is, I don't expect the food to be the same as Victoria & Albert's (which, similar to someone else's point, costs as much for one meal as a whole cruise can cost), but I usually find it to be good. I cruised once on Princess 18 years ago and I remember liking pretty much everything, but it wasn't 7 days of ultra-fine dining. Royal is somewhat hit or miss, but mostly hits. I've never gone hungry by any means. I was delighted on my first Royal cruise to find Indian food (my favorite) at the Windjammer, and other good hot meal options. The only thing in the Windjammer that really grates me are the desserts, which are consistently terrible (but I also never gain weight on a cruise). MDR food is generally very good, sometimes even if the dish doesn't look appetizing (lookin' at you, beef tenderloin, ugly but delicious). Desserts are somewhat better in the MDR, but the only two I think are really worth the calories are the Chocolate Sensation and . . . I forget the name but it's like a chocolate espresso souffle.

I've been hearing more and more that Carnival and Royal are pretty comparable on food (some say Carnival is even better because there are more included food options), and that Carnival's hot melting cake is the best dessert at sea, so I'm pretty excited to try it in November (after my summer Alaska cruise on Radiance!)

As for upgrade options on Royal, the steakhouse was eh, just okay, but I've eaten at Giovanni's twice in a 5-night cruise because it was so good.

Regarding eating in port vs. on ship, we enjoy eating new and local food everywhere we go, so ship food would have to be insanely good to get me back on just for lunch on a port day.

Thank you for the input, I appreciate it. Trust me, you won't be disappointed in the melting cake on Carnival. However, give it a few tries if you don't like it the first go around, some nights it has a better consistency than others (more melty, or more cake like).

While I've not been on Anthem, every other Windjammer I've seen has had burgers, fries, hot dogs, and pizza (among many other choices that change daily) available for every lunch. Sometimes they have fried chicken, but not every day.

Burgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc., plus a pretty decent salad bar all in the Windjammer. I was criticized earlier in this threats for commenting on making a sandwich out of ham, turkey, cheeses, veggies, etc. for lunch. Not everyone wants a cooked casserole-type lunch. Never sailed on the Anthem, but assume Windjammer is like all the others.

Have taken a plate of food out by the pool and asked for a cover, but not a true packed to go; never asked.

At the risk of being branded too much of a Royal loyalist, I have been cruising since 1992, primarily on Royal. Yes, food is not what it used to be. The midnight buffet picture taking experience is long gone. However, I paid a lot more for a cruise (if you compare in today's prices).

Had some meals that weren't perfect or that great, but never starved! If you want a 5-star experience don't cruise on any of the major family cruiselines. Pick a luxury line, pay for it, and my goodness be prepared to dress nicely for dinner (said tongue in cheek - can't have it both ways!!!!! Before someone thinks I am correlating food with dress - notice I said jokingly. )

Finally, as I said earlier, anyone who puts up with cold food or bad food, I.e. Under/over cooked is being foolish. Staff really do try to accommodate everyone. Speak up - don't let it go on all week and return home and complain.

Thanks for the input. Good to know WJ has lighter options for lunch. We too like cold type sandwiches etc. in the middle of the day. You're not alone :cool:

I just got off Carnival Valor with 11 Teens, mostly boys. They loved Guy's Burgers and piled several on their plates. The teens loved the food, but not sure if they even taste it when they eat it. Mongolian scored really low. Carnival food was good, but the rest of the cruise was way too chaotic for me. I personally will pick Royal anytime or day over Carnival. My son has been on Royal and he knew The Valor was no where near as nice of a cruise. His Classmates didn't know the difference. I love the fresh salads in the WJ. If i could go to The WJ every night for dinner, I would. Oh yea, we are not MDR people on Royal. Carnival was come as you are for most nights

I just got off Carnival Valor with 11 Teens, mostly boys. They loved Guy's Burgers and piled several on their plates. The teens loved the food, but not sure if they even taste it when they eat it. Mongolian scored really low. Carnival food was good, but the rest of the cruise was way too chaotic for me. I personally will pick Royal anytime or day over Carnival. My son has been on Royal and he knew The Valor was no where near as nice of a cruise. His Classmates didn't know the difference. I love the fresh salads in the WJ. If i could go to The WJ every night for dinner, I would. Oh yea, we are not MDR people on Royal. Carnival was come as you are for most nights

We usually sail Carnival and are first time RC cruisers. So, you think in most categories Royal is a step up?

What are some places / items to avoid? What aspects did you like?

I really didn’t encounter any places to avoid. It was just hit or miss with the food quality at times. One night in the Windjammer would be really good and the next it wouldn’t. I think our meals in the Main dining room tended to be more consistent and I am always a big fan of Chops, especially on the Anthem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most meals will NOT be hot... disregard the cheerleaders having 200 years of hot food with RCI:rolleyes:

Pizza and Burgers and any fresh options in Carnival WAY better! (y)

Overall food is better on Carnival.... but you can argue over that...

Food temperature is another thing anybody telling you that more than 50% of the food is served hot on RCI is plainly lying... ��

RCI is a trademark for luke warm food! :D

We are Diamond on RCCL and lately have taken a few Carnival cruises. Without a doubt, Carnival has better food overall, especially the burgers, pizza, and tacos.

Although I don't think the food on Carnival is great, I think the food on Royal Caribbean sounds better than it tastes. I also feel the service isn't that great on Royal Caribbean either.

We had MTD last year on Allure and went to dinner in the MDR on the lobster night. Our waiter could not have been any worse if he tried. He forgot several things that were ordered, drinks ordered when we were first seated never arrived. He was just awful.

We went to the MDR again the last night and had a different waitress. She was wonderful and was did everything we asked for plus tried to give us extras too. The other 5 nights we had the specialty dining package and that service was great!

We are sailing on Allure again next month and have the 5 night package, a free specialty restaurant from our TA and we purchased Hibachi for one night, so we won't be in the MDR for dinner at all. I can't say that I will miss that experience in the least.

Although I don't think the food on Carnival is great, I think the food on Royal Caribbean sounds better than it tastes. I also feel the service isn't that great on Royal Caribbean either.

We had MTD last year on Allure and went to dinner in the MDR on the lobster night. Our waiter could not have been any worse if he tried. He forgot several things that were ordered, drinks ordered when we were first seated never arrived. He was just awful.

We went to the MDR again the last night and had a different waitress. She was wonderful and was did everything we asked for plus tried to give us extras too. The other 5 nights we had the specialty dining package and that service was great!

We are sailing on Allure again next month and have the 5 night package, a free specialty restaurant from our TA and we purchased Hibachi for one night, so we won't be in the MDR for dinner at all. I can't say that I will miss that experience in the least.

Too bad about the bad service, we saw that on lobster night as well, but gave it a pass, because so many more people come on that night it is nuts to think the same number of staff as other nights can keep up with the extra diners.

On Jewel last year, my wife really enjoyed the WJ for dinner the last night, so we planned on doing it on Allure this year year, and it was just bad. The MDR was fine (my wife did not eat all of her meals, and complained to me several times, but I figure that is somewhat on her, as she never said anything to the wait staff) and each night we ate their myself and my 2 kids found plenty to eat, and everything was the right temp (nothing cold that should be hot and vice versa). We did chops for lunch on my bday, and were not impressed, but got a free dinner for 2 from TA, so we went to Giovanni's and loved it, would definitely go back, but not sure we would pay the upcharge.

While many people complain about the pizza, we did not think it was that bad, it may not have been local hand made pizzeria quality, but it was not inedible, and my son (sort of picky) went back several times. The Dog House actually had decent options, just wish it were open later.

The best quick option were the roast beef sandwiches in park cafe. Wish we had done that more, but just had too much going on most days.

Just got back from Symphony of the Seas. This was my 6th cruise with RCCL and was disappointed with the quality of the food for the most part. Perhaps my tastes have grown but to me the quality of the MDR and Windjammer is subpar. I clearly remember in the far past MDR food being much better in terms of options. They literally serve the same menu for 7 days.

We enjoyed our meal at Wonderland the most.

Just got back from Symphony of the Seas. This was my 6th cruise with RCCL and was disappointed with the quality of the food for the most part. Perhaps my tastes have grown but to me the quality of the MDR and Windjammer is subpar. I clearly remember in the far past MDR food being much better in terms of options. They literally serve the same menu for 7 days.

We enjoyed our meal at Wonderland the most.

Symphony must be completely different from every other ship in the fleet, if the menu is literally the same every night. There are several things on the menu every night, but also some rotating items, and some different items each night.

Thank you for this! Do you know if the solarium bistro is included? I've read conflicting reports.

The Anthem Solarium Bistro should be the same as fleet wide aka both free and fee based.

Last year on HOTS, the complementary options mimicked the WJ options albeit less in choices, bet we felt we had enough selections to choose from, all being served hot and tasty.

It's a good choice on Embarkation Day, pending when you board compared the crowds in the WJ, and not a bad choice at all, on any day during your cruise.

My first cruise was on RC 7 years ago. It was fine then, but the last 3 cruises it wasn't very good in the WJ. The MDR was ok, but not great. In the WJ I would walk in circles trying to find something to eat. Very little appealed to me, except the salad bar. I will eat almost anything so this says a lot. I just want something hot and that has a decent taste. They also use way to much salt to make up for the lack of taste. Haven't they ever heard of spices? I also like salt, but some of it was way to salty for me.

I thought I noticed a thread on this, but I can't find it...

I know food is so subjective, but what are people's general thoughts and opinions on RC's included food options (MDR, buffet, etc..)? How does it compare to other cruise lines, like Carnival? We've only sailed Carnival and given that our AI last year had less than desirable food, we're trying to avoid another issue with food. We're not necessarily particular, but like our food to be at the right temperature and edible.

I love the food in the MDR but I can pass on the buffet